shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:38 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:45 pm 

strayan wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
strayan wrote:
So, “direct mode” on the ultrahdmi. How much lag does this mode eliminate?

It's supposed to bypass the scaler, so I would imagine it would be effectively lagless, but remember the tradeoff is going to be HDMI blackouts during video mode changes and potential incompatibilities with the refresh rates and 240p/480i over HDMI.

Yup, I know it’s lagless but what is the lag when not in direct mode?

Personally, I'm not sure what kind of lag or delay the framerate conversion adds, but I can't imagine it's any more than a single frame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:56 pm 

Anyone able to assist?

I am attempting to update my N64RGB12 (viletim) board to use borti's IGR routines, but reset / toggling de-blur isn't working.

I've successfully flashed the IGR firmware, but in-game reset isn't working.
https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/blo ... im_igr.pof

Currently, I have pad M going to Pin 27 on the PIF (continuity verified) and pad A going to a via that traces back to the center pin on controller 1 (continuity verified).

Any troubleshooting recommendations?

*Edit* This is now resolved. I didn't have the correct firmware. This one worked on my 1.2 board:
https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/blo ... T100C5.pof

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:20 pm 

Hi Everybody,

I'm quite new here but i have just installed a N64 RGB from Tim, latest version in my pal N64 console.

Now everything works but i'm still very confused on the DEBLUR function with using a switch.

So i ordered a switch from Tim's website and he told me that i must:

- connect a wire from the A pad of the board to the middle pin of the switch (top row)

- connect a wire from the GND of the board to the left or right pin of the switch (top row)

When putting on on/off i do notice that the screen is somehow repositioned to the left/right but i dont see any deblurring at all.

However, since i read somewhere that the A stands for AUTOMATIC and that M pad for MANUAL i thought Tim was mistaken and i must connect a wire to the M pad for using the switch, so manual switching on/off ?

I did that , but seems the same thing.

Anybody knows what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:54 pm 

Sounds like you have it wired correctly - I'm looking around to see if I can verify how it's supposed to be wired with the mini-switch Tim has for sale.
I had mine deblur wired with a simple dupont wire from A to GND, then I moved onto updating the firmware so I could go switchless.

Honestly, the deblur function is very subtle on most games - You'll really only notice it on an HD (modern) screen. I couldn't see a difference on any of my CRT screens when enabled. Look at the edges on text, rather than the entire screen.

Edit: Found a twitter post with pictures you might be able to use for verification of your install method:
https://twitter.com/ghostvgm/status/1154844972585291777

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:25 pm 

Concur on the subtlety of the N64 deblur. I have the classic TI video amp RGB mod on my N64 and was considering Tims board for the deblur function, but when my pal Overlord Manny brought his N64 that he modded with Tims board I was extremely disappointed with the deblur on my Trinitron Wega. You had to struggle to see it in any game, and the standard RGB output looked no different from my TI amp mod, so I decided Tims board wasnt worth it.

The Gameshark deblur functions which actually turn off AA on the N64 are MUCH more noticeable, and even increase framerates a tiny bit in some areas, such as when moving Marios face around at the beginning of SM64. If you have an everdrive you can download patched ROMs with the deblur function and you'll be much happier with that if you want a courser picture. Of course its a matter of taste, looks better with some games than others.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:12 pm 

Josh128 wrote:
Concur on the subtlety of the N64 deblur. I have the classic TI video amp RGB mod on my N64 and was considering Tims board for the deblur function, but when my pal Overlord Manny brought his N64 that he modded with Tims board I was extremely disappointed with the deblur on my Trinitron Wega. You had to struggle to see it in any game, and the standard RGB output looked no different from my TI amp mod, so I decided Tims board wasnt worth it.

I think you'd get more out of deblur playing on a flat-panel display. I haven't tried it myself, but my understanding is that CRTs tend to mask the N64's blurring.

Josh128 wrote:
The Gameshark deblur functions which actually turn off AA on the N64 are MUCH more noticeable, and even increase framerates a tiny bit in some areas, such as when moving Marios face around at the beginning of SM64. If you have an everdrive you can download patched ROMs with the deblur function and you'll be much happier with that if you want a courser picture. Of course its a matter of taste, looks better with some games than others.

If improving framerate is the priority, I would think the recent recompiled/optimized version of SM64 would be preferable, but I expect it's possible to disable AA in that build as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:19 pm 

SPiET wrote:
When putting on on/off i do notice that the screen is somehow repositioned to the left/right but i dont see any deblurring at all.

What games are you looking at? And what is your display chain (CRT or LCD, scalers, etc.)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:33 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
If improving framerate is the priority, I would think the recent recompiled/optimized version of SM64 would be preferable, but I expect it's possible to disable AA in that build as well.

Nah it wasnt the priority, it was just a side effect I noticed, and it was minimal at that. The Mario head can drop to 20 fps when fiddling with it standard, but stays at a solid 30 with the Gameshark no-AA code. It definitely sharpens the edges (even on CRT) of games that use AA (not all games do).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:59 pm 

The deblur of Tim's board does make a noticeable difference on modern TVs with the OSSC and optimized settings, but I do agree that it's much less noticeable on CRTs :)

I just have the A and GND pad shorted on mine with no switch as I don't yet own any games that run in higher resolutions and would need this turned off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:09 pm 

how does the N64 Advanced handle deblur in comparison to tim's board? Is it pretty much the same?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:46 am 

vol.2 wrote:
how does the N64 Advanced handle deblur in comparison to tim's board? Is it pretty much the same?

Yeah, both implementations are by the same person and functionally identical afaik

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:04 am 

dibmem wrote:
Sounds like you have it wired correctly - I'm looking around to see if I can verify how it's supposed to be wired with the mini-switch Tim has for sale.
I had mine deblur wired with a simple dupont wire from A to GND, then I moved onto updating the firmware so I could go switchless.

Honestly, the deblur function is very subtle on most games - You'll really only notice it on an HD (modern) screen. I couldn't see a difference on any of my CRT screens when enabled. Look at the edges on text, rather than the entire screen.

Edit: Found a twitter post with pictures you might be able to use for verification of your install method:
https://twitter.com/ghostvgm/status/1154844972585291777

i got it wired from info of Tim so here it goes.

- Solder a wire from A pad of the board to the middle pin of the Switch (row 1 or row 2).

- Solder a wire from the GND pad of the board to the left/right pin of the same row where you solder the middle pin.

Enjoy :)

Indeed playing it on my CRT, it is very subtle and you dont see it always; I tested with Super Mario 64 and Kart and there are moments when you enable/disable the switch, that you'll see the screen move a bit to the left/right that is when it is activated/deactivated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:00 am 

SPiET wrote:
when you enable/disable the switch, that you'll see the screen move a bit to the left/right that is when it is activated/deactivated.

Yep, you have it then. Kinda disappointing huh? I was expecting more as well.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39