shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 4:46 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:18 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Apr 2016
Posts: 401
You can check continuity of clock and sync between the FPGA and the ADV7125 (U2). Sync is pin 59 to 12 and VCLK is pin 43 to 24.
You can also check the separated sync output. This is pin 99 of the FPGA to R31 and pin 6 of the 74LVC3G17 (U4).
_________________
Visit my projekts: GitHub, OSH Park


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:00 pm 



Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 495
Dumb question I know, but with like 50+ pages of this thread, having some trouble finding things. Is there a guide somewhere to updating the N64RGB with the de-blur firmware? I still have one of the old models, so I would like to update it and, ideally, set it to always have deblur on. I have a USB Blaster that I previously used to update my NESRGB, just need to know where to get the firmware and what wires to hook up where. Thanks!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:16 pm 



Joined: 31 Mar 2016
Posts: 155
thebigcheese wrote:
Dumb question I know, but with like 50+ pages of this thread, having some trouble finding things. Is there a guide somewhere to updating the N64RGB with the de-blur firmware? I still have one of the old models, so I would like to update it and, ideally, set it to always have deblur on. I have a USB Blaster that I previously used to update my NESRGB, just need to know where to get the firmware and what wires to hook up where. Thanks!


Assuming that you're using Viletim's N64RGB board, you can use the latest POF file here:

https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... es/viletim

Instructions to update firmware here:

http://etim.net.au/n64rgb/tech/


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:47 pm 



Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 495
CobraKing wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:
Dumb question I know, but with like 50+ pages of this thread, having some trouble finding things. Is there a guide somewhere to updating the N64RGB with the de-blur firmware? I still have one of the old models, so I would like to update it and, ideally, set it to always have deblur on. I have a USB Blaster that I previously used to update my NESRGB, just need to know where to get the firmware and what wires to hook up where. Thanks!


Assuming that you're using Viletim's N64RGB board, you can use the latest POF file here:

https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... es/viletim

Instructions to update firmware here:

http://etim.net.au/n64rgb/tech/


I am, thank you! However, seeing as I have an older one, I don't have the A and G pads to solder to enable the deblur. What do I need to do to make that happen? I also notice there are two POF files in there, one ending in igr and one ending in sw. What's the difference?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:21 pm 



Joined: 31 Mar 2016
Posts: 155
You'd have to ask @borti4938 about the soldering pads.

The IGR suffix is for in-game routine, i.e. you press a specific button combination to enable/disable de-blur. The SW suffix is for a physical switch.

I think the IGR suffix might work in your case, just read up a bit if you can. I don't want you to brick your N64 RGB! :mrgreen:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:33 pm 



Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 495
CobraKing wrote:
You'd have to ask @borti4938 about the soldering pads.

The IGR suffix is for in-game routine, i.e. you press a specific button combination to enable/disable de-blur. The SW suffix is for a physical switch.

I think the IGR suffix might work in your case, just read up a bit if you can. I don't want you to brick your N64 RGB! :mrgreen:


Ah! Nevermind, on further digging I see that the A/M pads are really just extensions of pins on the CPLD. So I would just connect pin 100 to ground to have it on via the heuristic, M to ground to have it force on.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:29 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 Apr 2016
Posts: 401
That's correct. Pin 100 is a 'corner' pin. If you also want to use Manual, you can also use pin 1 instead of 99 reducing the risc of a short a bit.
_________________
Visit my projekts: GitHub, OSH Park


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:04 am 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 375
I just started playing around with a console with an N64Advanced board. It's a great device! I'm thinking of leaving the de-blur setting on auto. Does borti or anyone else have a list of games in which it is better to force either on or off? What about a list of 15bit color games?

The line doubling mode is really interesting, and I'm happy that the board supports 480p output through a SCART cable. When combined with the OSSC doubling the 480p output it rivals the look of line3x/5x. I can't decide which one I prefer, but the 480p doubled may actually look a little sharper on my display at least.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:12 am 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Jan 2016
Posts: 119
fernan1234 wrote:
I just started playing around with a console with an N64Advanced board. It's a great device! I'm thinking of leaving the de-blur setting on auto. Does borti or anyone else have a list of games in which it is better to force either on or off? What about a list of 15bit color games?

The line doubling mode is really interesting, and I'm happy that the board supports 480p output through a SCART cable. When combined with the OSSC doubling the 480p output it rivals the look of line3x/5x. I can't decide which one I prefer, but the 480p doubled may actually look a little sharper on my display at least.


Borti talks about the benefit of 15bit color mode here:

https://youtu.be/xsSqNplCx4k?t=1075

Star Fox 64 is the only game I know of that benefits from this but there might be a few others.
_________________
https://twitter.com/unmaker64

console mods


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:16 am 



Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Posts: 52
Potentially dumb question, but is there any long term risk to RGB modding an N64? I have a modded Japanese console, but one lingering fear is that the RGB mod will over time "burn out" the GPU faster than if left stock. Is this unfounded, or can the mod prematurely kill an N64?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:54 pm 



Joined: 17 Sep 2018
Posts: 49
I just got done fitting the N64RGB v1.2 board successfully to my system and I am just trying it out.

Really happy with the results but I actually play on a CRT and I am trying to work out what are the best settings for playing on a CRT as I cant really see much difference when switching the deblur function (C-Left and C-Right on the controller) although I do see a huge difference with the 15bit mode (C-Up and C-Down) where if I select C-Up which according to the documentation should disable 15bit mode I see much less dithering going on and everything looks smoother.

Is this what I should be seeing on a CRT as it feels like pressing C-Up and C-Down is actually adjusting deblur not 15 bit mode based upon what I have been reading. Is that possible?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 May 2018
Posts: 384
Location: Escondido, CA, USA
flex wrote:
I just got done fitting the N64RGB v1.2 board successfully to my system and I am just trying it out.

Really happy with the results but I actually play on a CRT and I am trying to work out what are the best settings for playing on a CRT as I cant really see much difference when switching the deblur function (C-Left and C-Right on the controller) although I do see a huge difference with the 15bit mode (C-Up and C-Down) where if I select C-Up which according to the documentation should disable 15bit mode I see much less dithering going on and everything looks smoother.

Is this what I should be seeing on a CRT as it feels like pressing C-Up and C-Down is actually adjusting deblur not 15 bit mode based upon what I have been reading. Is that possible?

WRT deblur, it shouldn't have much effect when playing on CRT. The native blurring becomes overly apparent as you line multiply, and results in an overly fuzzy picture at higher line multiplication modes, which in turn, is where the deblur feature offers the best results.

I am interested to know about the dithering tho, cuz I recently acquired a CRT, and the dithering is now extremely noticeable to me (probably just a matter of awareness, more than anything). But I'm also wondering, does the deblur being on or off potentially affect the visibility of dithering?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:58 pm 



Joined: 17 Sep 2018
Posts: 49
NoAffinity wrote:
flex wrote:
I just got done fitting the N64RGB v1.2 board successfully to my system and I am just trying it out.

Really happy with the results but I actually play on a CRT and I am trying to work out what are the best settings for playing on a CRT as I cant really see much difference when switching the deblur function (C-Left and C-Right on the controller) although I do see a huge difference with the 15bit mode (C-Up and C-Down) where if I select C-Up which according to the documentation should disable 15bit mode I see much less dithering going on and everything looks smoother.

Is this what I should be seeing on a CRT as it feels like pressing C-Up and C-Down is actually adjusting deblur not 15 bit mode based upon what I have been reading. Is that possible?

WRT deblur, it shouldn't have much effect when playing on CRT. The native blurring becomes overly apparent as you line multiply, and results in an overly fuzzy picture at higher line multiplication modes, which in turn, is where the deblur feature offers the best results.

I am interested to know about the dithering tho, cuz I recently acquired a CRT, and the dithering is now extremely noticeable to me (probably just a matter of awareness, more than anything). But I'm also wondering, does the deblur being on or off potentially affect the visibility of dithering?


Ok so I plugged the N64 directly into my LG 55" LED TV in my lounge which luckily does have a small add on cable for a SCART connection still so I could have a play and test a few things. I do not have an upscaler yet but planning on getting the OSSC for such purposes at some point.

For the record the mod is definaltey not enabling the wrong modes and is working correctly. I tested a couple of games and deblur does make some difference although not as big as I would have expected but this might make more sense if I was using an upscaler like you say so thanks for clearing that up. I am definatley seeing better results on both the CRT and the LED TV with 15 bit mode disabled... it would seem i need to disable this every time i start up the console though which is odd as I thought the default is supposed to be off.

If i load up Goldeneye (PAL Version) i definatley get the best results with 15bit mode off and deblur disabled... I can really see it on the mission screen text it is much sharper in this configuration.

To answer your question I believe the really noticeable dithering is being caused by 15 bit mode being enabled is all.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 2240
Location: Kentucky
flex wrote:
NoAffinity wrote:
flex wrote:
I just got done fitting the N64RGB v1.2 board successfully to my system and I am just trying it out.

Really happy with the results but I actually play on a CRT and I am trying to work out what are the best settings for playing on a CRT as I cant really see much difference when switching the deblur function (C-Left and C-Right on the controller) although I do see a huge difference with the 15bit mode (C-Up and C-Down) where if I select C-Up which according to the documentation should disable 15bit mode I see much less dithering going on and everything looks smoother.

Is this what I should be seeing on a CRT as it feels like pressing C-Up and C-Down is actually adjusting deblur not 15 bit mode based upon what I have been reading. Is that possible?

WRT deblur, it shouldn't have much effect when playing on CRT. The native blurring becomes overly apparent as you line multiply, and results in an overly fuzzy picture at higher line multiplication modes, which in turn, is where the deblur feature offers the best results.

I am interested to know about the dithering tho, cuz I recently acquired a CRT, and the dithering is now extremely noticeable to me (probably just a matter of awareness, more than anything). But I'm also wondering, does the deblur being on or off potentially affect the visibility of dithering?


Ok so I plugged the N64 directly into my LG 55" LED TV in my lounge which luckily does have a small add on cable for a SCART connection still so I could have a play and test a few things. I do not have an upscaler yet but planning on getting the OSSC for such purposes at some point.

For the record the mod is definaltey not enabling the wrong modes and is working correctly. I tested a couple of games and deblur does make some difference although not as big as I would have expected but this might make more sense if I was using an upscaler like you say so thanks for clearing that up. I am definatley seeing better results on both the CRT and the LED TV with 15 bit mode disabled... it would seem i need to disable this every time i start up the console though which is odd as I thought the default is supposed to be off.

If i load up Goldeneye (PAL Version) i definatley get the best results with 15bit mode off and deblur disabled... I can really see it on the mission screen text it is much sharper in this configuration.

To answer your question I believe the really noticeable dithering is being caused by 15 bit mode being enabled is all.


Enabling 15-bit mode reduces the color depth from 21 to 15 bits, and will only be an improvement in a very small number of games (don't remember hearing about more than 1 or 2). Z + Start + R + C-up deactivates it (Z + Start + R + C-down activates), so if that happens to be the button combination you have to put in on startup, then your board is wired to have it on at console start.

In other words, just to be clear, you want 15-bit mode OFF at most all times.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:44 pm 



Joined: 17 Sep 2018
Posts: 49
bobrocks95 wrote:

Enabling 15-bit mode reduces the color depth from 21 to 15 bits, and will only be an improvement in a very small number of games (don't remember hearing about more than 1 or 2). Z + Start + R + C-up deactivates it (Z + Start + R + C-down activates), so if that happens to be the button combination you have to put in on startup, then your board is wired to have it on at console start.

In other words, just to be clear, you want 15-bit mode OFF at most all times.


Cool thanks... now to work out why my board is defaulting to on then!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:00 pm 



Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 26
I have a small problem with my N64 RGB mod using Etim's board on my pal N64 using a Gamecube RGB scart and sync at CS75. You can see it on the video just above the Mario A and Mario B there is a horizontal flickering. I already shorten the wires in order to fix the red nose and ears artifacts on Mario 64 and all my connection tested with a multimeter seems ok. Same thing is apparent with a pal Snes RGB cable with sync on Luma (even though the image is darker since my jumpers are for Gamecube). I have ordered a new Gamecube RGB scart cable just in case but i dont think the cable is the problem...

https://youtu.be/tNFPUABUENs


Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also have a Happy new Year!!!

Edit: I think my problem is thoroughly examined in this topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61455&start=90


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:30 am 



Joined: 17 Sep 2018
Posts: 49
flex wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:

Enabling 15-bit mode reduces the color depth from 21 to 15 bits, and will only be an improvement in a very small number of games (don't remember hearing about more than 1 or 2). Z + Start + R + C-up deactivates it (Z + Start + R + C-down activates), so if that happens to be the button combination you have to put in on startup, then your board is wired to have it on at console start.

In other words, just to be clear, you want 15-bit mode OFF at most all times.


Cool thanks... now to work out why my board is defaulting to on then!


Just thought I would post an update and say the board is actually working 100% correctly and is not defaulting to 15-Bit mode after all, now I understand the correct operation I can see the deblur is also turning on and off automatically on certain screens (based upon its detection algorithm i guess)... I can see it disable on the goldeneye mission select screen for example as the text becomes smoother after a few seconds.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:34 am 



Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 49
Tim's N64RGB v1.2 arrived today (had no idea it was viletim on here!) and I jumped into installing it. Seemed to go fairly smooth with no real issues. RGB output is working.

Hate to be Captain Dumb here: I looked into how to get the deblur-ing/reset stuff working. Pad "M" -> Pin 27 on PIF-NUS, Pad "A" -> Pin 16 on PIF-NUS (does have continuity to controller P1 middle pin)

...and the button combos aren't doing anything? Maybe I'm missing something super obvious? Reset or deblur stuff. Am I missing some wiring? Not finding any shorts between any of the wiring. I am getting 3.3v to the N64RGB. Tried jumping Pad "A" directly to "G" and don't think I'm seeing any difference there either.

I'll admit, it was rather hard to finally figure all this extra stuff out to enable it. Information scattered around this giant thread and Tim, bless his heart, doesn't have any of the information for it mentioned in his install guide. Had to do a bunch of digging.

Spoiler: show
Image


I'm also getting some decent interference I think? Using a Solaris Japan SNES cable. Haven't had any issues with it before and the cable should be one of the better ones. Perhaps this is what is mentioned about the Composite signal creating interference? Not sure I want to cut a trace or wire in more stuff unless I know for sure that is the issue.

Stinks because the initial install went fairly quickly but now I've been trying to figure this out for a few hours. Almost time for bed.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:23 am 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 2240
Location: Kentucky
Seikenfreak wrote:
Tim's N64RGB v1.2 arrived today (had no idea it was viletim on here!) and I jumped into installing it. Seemed to go fairly smooth with no real issues. RGB output is working.

Hate to be Captain Dumb here: I looked into how to get the deblur-ing/reset stuff working. Pad "M" -> Pin 27 on PIF-NUS, Pad "A" -> Pin 16 on PIF-NUS (does have continuity to controller P1 middle pin)

...and the button combos aren't doing anything? Maybe I'm missing something super obvious? Reset or deblur stuff. Am I missing some wiring? Not finding any shorts between any of the wiring. I am getting 3.3v to the N64RGB. Tried jumping Pad "A" directly to "G" and don't think I'm seeing any difference there either.

I'll admit, it was rather hard to finally figure all this extra stuff out to enable it. Information scattered around this giant thread and Tim, bless his heart, doesn't have any of the information for it mentioned in his install guide. Had to do a bunch of digging.

Spoiler: show
Image


I'm also getting some decent interference I think? Using a Solaris Japan SNES cable. Haven't had any issues with it before and the cable should be one of the better ones. Perhaps this is what is mentioned about the Composite signal creating interference? Not sure I want to cut a trace or wire in more stuff unless I know for sure that is the issue.

Stinks because the initial install went fairly quickly but now I've been trying to figure this out for a few hours. Almost time for bed.


You have to flash borti's firmware to get de-blur and reset features- at this point they're talked about so often that I can see why you wouldn't think you'd need to.

Noise is the tricky one. I'll be getting my N64RGB back on Friday and will be taking a close look myself, but it seems there are a lot of different solutions on here. Tying the grounds together at the multi-out, shortening the ribbon cable, adding resistors on the data lines, cutting the composite video trace, and pulling power from the 5V line are all solutions I've seen for various N64RGB issues, so I don't have any clue where to start.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:38 am 



Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 49
bobrocks95 wrote:
You have to flash borti's firmware to get de-blur and reset features- at this point they're talked about so often that I can see why you wouldn't think you'd need to.

Noise is the tricky one. I'll be getting my N64RGB back on Friday and will be taking a close look myself, but it seems there are a lot of different solutions on here. Tying the grounds together at the multi-out, shortening the ribbon cable, adding resistors on the data lines, cutting the composite video trace, and pulling power from the 5V line are all solutions I've seen for various N64RGB issues, so I don't have any clue where to start.


Ohhh.. so you still have to flash it. Damn. I thought that was only on the pre-1.2v boards. Figured it was built in at this point. /facedesk Guess I'll try to pick up one of those flasher things. Thanks for the heads up.

That interference has seemingly gone away now? And it was less like noise and more like a jittery picture. More noticeable in certain areas of the picture. So either desoldering the Pin 16 wire from Pad "A" (and running a jumper between "A" and "G") did something or just.. Something else. Not really seeing the issue now. Electronics are weird.

Next Day Edit
: Flashed the board and now the IGR commands are working. Yay. Have to be honest though.. I can't really see any difference with deblur on or off. I can see the screen shift a tiny bit when I switch it on/off but even with my eyes 6 inches from the screen, I think I can see a tiny difference on small white text? Read back a few pages and seems other people had a similar experience. Perhaps because I'm using it with my RGB CRT and not through my XRGB into the OLED. Oh well. System is all back together and working.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am 



Joined: 19 Mar 2017
Posts: 80
Not quite sure where to post this but is it possible to get ultra hdmi to output 1360x768? I use an old Sony and Hitachi LCD that will overscan a 720p signal (cannot be disabled) unless they are fed an exact 1360x768 signal. I know 1600x1200 was recently added as a supported resolution so where can I make a feature request for this?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:25 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1202
strayan wrote:
Not quite sure where to post this but is it possible to get ultra hdmi to output 1360x768? I use an old Sony and Hitachi LCD that will overscan a 720p signal (cannot be disabled) unless they are fed an exact 1360x768 signal. I know 1600x1200 was recently added as a supported resolution so where can I make a feature request for this?

No, not without a more comprehensive firmware. I'm in a similar situation, as far as panel resolution, though mine doesn't force overscan. You could use something like the Extron DSC 301 HD, which has HDMI input and can scale to exactly 1360x768@60Hz.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 695
nmalinoski wrote:
strayan wrote:
Not quite sure where to post this but is it possible to get ultra hdmi to output 1360x768? I use an old Sony and Hitachi LCD that will overscan a 720p signal (cannot be disabled) unless they are fed an exact 1360x768 signal. I know 1600x1200 was recently added as a supported resolution so where can I make a feature request for this?

No, not without a more comprehensive firmware. I'm in a similar situation, as far as panel resolution, though mine doesn't force overscan. You could use something like the Extron DSC 301 HD, which has HDMI input and can scale to exactly 1360x768@60Hz.

Extron also made a unit called the DSC HD-HD - it appears to be the same thing as the DSC 301 HD but without the analog inputs

I saw a couple go on ebay recently for under $50


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:02 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1202
maxtherabbit wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
strayan wrote:
Not quite sure where to post this but is it possible to get ultra hdmi to output 1360x768? I use an old Sony and Hitachi LCD that will overscan a 720p signal (cannot be disabled) unless they are fed an exact 1360x768 signal. I know 1600x1200 was recently added as a supported resolution so where can I make a feature request for this?

No, not without a more comprehensive firmware. I'm in a similar situation, as far as panel resolution, though mine doesn't force overscan. You could use something like the Extron DSC 301 HD, which has HDMI input and can scale to exactly 1360x768@60Hz.

Extron also made a unit called the DSC HD-HD - it appears to be the same thing as the DSC 301 HD but without the analog inputs

I saw a couple go on ebay recently for under $50

Cheapest one right now looks to be about $95 USD shipped, and it'll be a good option for anything that doesn't frequently change video modes, and bonus points if it can output interlaced.

The biggest problem I have with these DSC models is that resync from a video mode change takes about 3 full seconds. If you're using it with an OSSC to scale, say, full-time 480i from a PS2 to 1440i to 1080p (which, to me, looks pretty good), it works great; but, if you're trying to play, say, Resident Evil 2 on an RGB-modded N64 with the same OSSC and DSC 301 HD or DSC HD-HD, then you're going to have a bad time. It's a little better, with a 1-second resync, if you run the output of the OSSC through an active HDMI to VGA converter, but it's still an agonizing 1 second.

tl;dr: So, if the DSC HD-HD really is the same as the 301 HD, just without the analogue inputs, then you're going to be stuck with the same 3-second video mode resyncs; but it's a good, seemingly-low-lag scaler for anything that doesn't frequently switch between video modes, especially for interlaced content.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:12 pm 



Joined: 19 Mar 2017
Posts: 80
nmalinoski wrote:
strayan wrote:
Not quite sure where to post this but is it possible to get ultra hdmi to output 1360x768? I use an old Sony and Hitachi LCD that will overscan a 720p signal (cannot be disabled) unless they are fed an exact 1360x768 signal. I know 1600x1200 was recently added as a supported resolution so where can I make a feature request for this?

No, not without a more comprehensive firmware. I'm in a similar situation, as far as panel resolution, though mine doesn't force overscan. You could use something like the Extron DSC 301 HD, which has HDMI input and can scale to exactly 1360x768@60Hz.


Thanks for that info. I’d settle for 1280x720 in a 1360x768 frame so I could at least get a 1:1 pixel mapped image. Will keep an eye out for an Extron unit in the meantime.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:37 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2019
Posts: 1
I'm currently in the process of needing to upgrade the firmware on my new N64RGB mod (Tim's). I'd like to wire the ribbon cable directly to the board as seen in LeonK's picture here but i'm having trouble confirming which wire needs to go to which pad.

Based off of Tim's instructions I know the pad pinout...
1 +3.3V power rail
2 Ground
3 TDO
4 TCK
5 TDI
6 TMS

I also have the pinout for the USB Blaster's 10pin connector. Just not sure where I should be wiring the 3.3v pad to. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sidenote: Just to make sure, for Tim's board I should be using Borti's latest firmware (n64rgb_viletim_igr.pof) located here correct? https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... es/viletim

leonk wrote:
I'm in canada but try to keep same prices as other.

I think $50 usd is fair. Make sure they include the jtag port prewired to n64rgb. This way, if new firmware comes out, your remove the case and you got the wire there ready to plug directly into your usb blaster. No soldering required to update the firmware.

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:38 am 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1202
strayan wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
strayan wrote:
Not quite sure where to post this but is it possible to get ultra hdmi to output 1360x768? I use an old Sony and Hitachi LCD that will overscan a 720p signal (cannot be disabled) unless they are fed an exact 1360x768 signal. I know 1600x1200 was recently added as a supported resolution so where can I make a feature request for this?

No, not without a more comprehensive firmware. I'm in a similar situation, as far as panel resolution, though mine doesn't force overscan. You could use something like the Extron DSC 301 HD, which has HDMI input and can scale to exactly 1360x768@60Hz.


Thanks for that info. I’d settle for 1280x720 in a 1360x768 frame so I could at least get a 1:1 pixel mapped image. Will keep an eye out for an Extron unit in the meantime.

I've also recently been informed that the Extron DSC HD-HD is the same as the DSC 301 HD, but without the analogue inputs.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:55 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 375
Just heard about the new N64 Advanced firmware with 720p output from Bob's roundup. I have an Advanced board installed with the previous firmware and I love its video output already. I don't use the line doubling on my BVM, but I might prefer how 3x looks. Gonna have to get a USB blaster one of these days.

Borti, is there a chance we may see 1080i output in the future? That's the resolution that IMO looks best on multisync monitors.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 May 2018
Posts: 384
Location: Escondido, CA, USA
HeroProc wrote:
I'm currently in the process of needing to upgrade the firmware on my new N64RGB mod (Tim's). I'd like to wire the ribbon cable directly to the board as seen in LeonK's picture here but i'm having trouble confirming which wire needs to go to which pad.

Based off of Tim's instructions I know the pad pinout...
1 +3.3V power rail
2 Ground
3 TDO
4 TCK
5 TDI
6 TMS

I also have the pinout for the USB Blaster's 10pin connector. Just not sure where I should be wiring the 3.3v pad to. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sidenote: Just to make sure, for Tim's board I should be using Borti's latest firmware (n64rgb_viletim_igr.pof) located here correct? https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... es/viletim

There is a big 3.3V pad at the bottom right of the N64RGB, and a smaller one just below the jtag solder pads. Those would be the easiest to tap.

Yes, that is the correct location for borti's firmware for tim's board.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:16 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2017
Posts: 432
fernan1234 wrote:
is there a chance we may see 1080i output in the future? That's the resolution that IMO looks best on multisync monitors.


720p mode is still using line multiplication, so an exact 1080 output is unlikely. Maybe 960i is possible, I am not sure if the the monitor would display it though.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gunstar, hyrulebr, Taiji_Mods and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group