Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mikejmoffitt

Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

Post by mikejmoffitt »

It does not introduce lag. It's only discarding every other pixel, which was a blurred version of the previous and next pixels, and repeats the previous pixel in its place. This process occurs every other output pixel, and only in 320x240 mode.

The horizontal blur (IIRC) comes from the RCP as an option intended to reduce visible dither patterns. Disabling AA may be adding sharpness, but I don't think that's attacking the same problem. The AA is not what makes nearly every game look blurry. Super Smash Bros has lots of AA, and also the anti-dither blur I described above. I am removing the latter.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

^^^
Could you post additional screenshots and also let us know what your plans are to sell your board?
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

mikejmoffitt wrote:It does not introduce lag. It's only discarding every other pixel, which was a blurred version of the previous and next pixels, and repeats the previous pixel in its place. This process occurs every other output pixel, and only in 320x240 mode.

The horizontal blur (IIRC) comes from the RCP as an option intended to reduce visible dither patterns. Disabling AA may be adding sharpness, but I don't think that's attacking the same problem. The AA is not what makes nearly every game look blurry. Super Smash Bros has lots of AA, and also the anti-dither blur I described above. I am removing the latter.
This is exactly what I was hoping for. I didn't like the effect of using the GS codes at all; the result just looked like a pixelated mess to me.

Please take my cash!
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

andykara2003 wrote:
mikejmoffitt wrote:It does not introduce lag. It's only discarding every other pixel, which was a blurred version of the previous and next pixels, and repeats the previous pixel in its place. This process occurs every other output pixel, and only in 320x240 mode.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. I didn't like the effect of using the GS codes at all; the result just looked like a pixelated mess to me.

Please take my cash!

Yeah, the gameshark fixes seem kinda bad so i'm gonna wait for this thing instead. I guess I could just use a HDMI to VGA adapter to connect directly to my crt's, but i rather have the simpler solution. Guess I am going to hang on to S-video just a bit longer :D
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Possibly slightly off topic but has anyone successfully installed Tims RGB board and a HDMI N64 board in the same console? If so, how difficult is it? I get asked about this now and then, and all I know is that it's theoretically possible but...If the RGB boards are going to have some de-blur action on them too I anticipate a few folks will want both mods.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

That's what I figured, but it was worth clearing up officially. More pictures would probably help, especially if they're of some games that I know were tested and had screenshots posted in the Gameshark thread (Turok, Super Mario 64, and the UI elements in OoT come to mind). I would love to see any shots of Paper Mario if possible as well, if you've got it and are willing.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I'm not making a board, it sounds like Tim might be integrating it into a newer revision. I have just been testing on extra half-build NeoVGA prototypes. If you wish to pay me for my time, I would not mind writing an alternative "firmware" for the existing N64RGB PCB as it certainly can do it.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

BuckoA51 wrote:Possibly slightly off topic but has anyone successfully installed Tims RGB board and a HDMI N64 board in the same console? If so, how difficult is it? I get asked about this now and then, and all I know is that it's theoretically possible but...
That was my plan - installing both. I 'reinstalled' my RGB mod such that placing the flat cable on the RCP should not be a deal. Nevertheless, as the HDMI modding kit is held that far away from the community, I doubt that I will ever get a UltraHDMI kit.
mikejmoffitt wrote:If you wish to pay me for my time, I would not mind writing an alternative "firmware" for the existing N64RGB PCB as it certainly can do it.
I did it for free :P Just have to retest it and ask Tim before publishing -> see here
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

So this will just take a firmware upgrade to the existing rgb n64 mod in order to get the de-blur option?
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

I didn't think there was a way to update the firmware of Tim's N64RGB mod is there?
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Sure. But you have to have an Altera USB Blaster (or at least a clone). Tim offers solder pads for the JTAG interface.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Tim will probably plop it in and release boards with it on there in the future. A revision with a solder pad to wire up a switch for it would be nice, just to see a before and after.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

borti4938 wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:Possibly slightly off topic but has anyone successfully installed Tims RGB board and a HDMI N64 board in the same console? If so, how difficult is it? I get asked about this now and then, and all I know is that it's theoretically possible but...
That was my plan - installing both. I 'reinstalled' my RGB mod such that placing the flat cable on the RCP should not be a deal. Nevertheless, as the HDMI modding kit is held that far away from the community, I doubt that I will ever get a UltraHDMI kit.
mikejmoffitt wrote:If you wish to pay me for my time, I would not mind writing an alternative "firmware" for the existing N64RGB PCB as it certainly can do it.
I did it for free :P Just have to retest it and ask Tim before publishing -> see here
The code for mine is completely freely available now (part of https://github.com/mikejmoffitt/N6480), but I'm not going to go buy a board, map out the pins, compile the project for it, test it, then offer to re-flash boards on my own time.

I installed an HDMI kit in my console. It is possible to wire both, but it will be a little bit of a nuisance.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Haha... that's something I would do, too :D I was just thinking of the source code :oops:
Thank you for publishing your code ;)
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

bobrocks95 wrote:Tim will probably plop it in and release boards with it on there in the future. A revision with a solder pad to wire up a switch for it would be nice, just to see a before and after.
This is what I'm hoping - seems like the easiest & most straightforward route to me..
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

This is very tempting (when someone makes it available), but question: my N64's RGB output is pretty noisy. Will I have to buy another N64 or does Tim's board replace the DAC process entirely?
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

It does fully replace the DAC.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

viletim wrote:I'll take a look at it. The N64RGB is due for new a board revision anyway, to make it compatible with the component video add-on board.
Do you have any problem if I publish an alternative firmware for your N64-RGB-board?
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I'm 100% interested in this board if it becomes a thing
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

Same. I'll buy one if it has the de blur feature. At the moment my basic RGB amp is doing the job just fine
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

I'm still using s-video on my n64 holding of on an rgb mod.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I'm contemplating making a few boards with a CPLD for de-blurred RGB, with also digitally produced Component video. I'll see if those ever come to fruition... I'm planning on just using them for personal use at the moment. I would not feel comfortable selling them because without Tim's DAC documentation I wouldn't have made it, so I'd rather not compete with his board as I think it would be in bad taste.
yxkalle

Post by yxkalle »

It's not in bad taste. Tim's NESRGB board is based on work by TheFox. Anyone can make a N64 DAC (given the tools and competence) as Tim made the information public from the start. You're not stealing anything. Just my 2 cents.
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

Tim mentioned he would look into it on page 1. I also noticed that the N64 RGB board is out of stock on his shop. Maybe it is currently a w.i.p.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Just emailed him to ask if he wouldn't mind letting us know his position...
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

For everyone who wants to / is able to update his N64PCB by viletim: grab the POF file here (for download click on "Raw")

I was happy to see that Ikari_01 code was quite the same as my code was. So I decided to fork his repository (created for the Xilinx CPLDs) and merged my code with his.
The code includes:
- 240p/480i detection for deactivating the deblur feature in 480i
- PAL/NTSC detection to skip either even or odd pixel (thank you for Ikari for figuring out!!!)
- global deactivation of the de-blur feature by setting pin 100 to GND (pin can be left unconnected if not wanted)

Also thank you to viletim for sending me the schematics confirming me the pinout!!! :D

Have fun
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Just got a reply from Tim - he's getting back here tomorrow with some good news!
phoenix79

Post by phoenix79 »

borti4938 wrote:For everyone who wants to / is able to update his N64PCB by viletim: grab the POF file here (for download click on "Raw")

I was happy to see that Ikari_01 code was quite the same as my code was. So I decided to fork his repository (created for the Xilinx CPLDs) and merged my code with his.
The code includes:
- PAL/NTSC detection to skip either even or odd pixel (thank you for Ikari for figuring out!!!)
- global deactivation of the de-blur feature by setting pin 100 to GND (pin can be left unconnected if not wanted)

Also thank you to viletim for sending me the schematics confirming me the pinout!!! :D

Have fun
Hello I was going to purchase one of your boards when I saw My Life in Gamings video almost two weeks ago. It's great to see that all you need to do is a firmware update. Are all future releases of your board going to have this pre-installed? I checked the board on your website and I did not see pin 100. I obviously missed it, do you have instructions online on how to do this?

Thank's for all the help :)
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

phoenix79 wrote:
borti4938 wrote:For everyone who wants to / is able to update his N64PCB by viletim: grab the POF file here (for download click on "Raw")

The code includes:

Have fun
Hello I was going to purchase one of your boards when I saw My Life in Gamings video almost two weeks ago. It's great to see that all you need to do is a firmware update. Are all future releases of your board going to have this pre-installed? I checked the board on your website and I did not see pin 100. I obviously missed it, do you have instructions online on how to do this?

Thank's for all the help :)
It's not borti's board, it's viletim's board. Borti is offering an updated firmware for Tim's board that as of right now you'd have to flash yourself with additional hardware. As a note, pin 100 is probably on the actual CPLD and will require some fine pitch soldering skills (though installing the board on any newer N64 would require the same).

Tim indicated before that he'd be revising his board to include this feature, and according to andykara above, Tim will probably give some sort of update on the status of that tomorrow.

If you don't have a board, I'd wait for Tim to revise his and include this feature. If you already happen to have one and the necessary hardware to flash it, give Borti's new firmware a try now if you'd like. There's no need to buy a new board just for this.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

bobrocks95 wrote: It's not borti's board, it's viletim's board. Borti is offering an updated firmware for Tim's board that as of right now you'd have to flash yourself with additional hardware. As a note, pin 100 is probably on the actual CPLD and will require some fine pitch soldering skills (though installing the board on any newer N64 would require the same).
Yes - it's Tim board design :) There is no need to design another one.

Note that using pin 100 is absolutely OPTIONAL. I have implemented it because I wanted to differences on my TV without reflashing the firmware with and without the de-blur. The de-blur is activated anyway if pin 100 is left unconnected as I assigned a weak pull-up resistor there.
Even though, if someone wants to use it, fine pitch soldering skills are advantageous but not really required.
Pin 100 is a corner pin. And even if one solders a short between pin 100 and 99 (and 98), it should not be that big deal as pin 99 (and pin 98) is (are) unused -> see here
bobrocks95 wrote: Tim indicated before that he'd be revising his board to include this feature, and according to andykara above, Tim will probably give some sort of update on the status of that tomorrow.
I've seen the new revision yesterday... :) But don't want to spoiler :P
bobrocks95 wrote: If you don't have a board, I'd wait for Tim to revise his and include this feature. If you already happen to have one and the necessary hardware to flash it, give Borti's new firmware a try now if you'd like. There's no need to buy a new board just for this.
Everything one need is a (Clone) USB Blaster - quite cheap on ebay - and soldering some loose wires on the JTAG header (from pin 1 to 6: Vref, GND, TDO, TCK, TDI, TMS).