Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

Post by bobrocks95 »

GeneraLight wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:If anyone was waiting on Tim's N64RGB board to be back in stock, it is as of today.

@borti - Just to double-check, if I want to use your IGR firmware, but don't care about reset capabilities, I just wouldn't connect a wire to PIF-NUS pin 27, right?
Does it have Borti's newest deblur firmware?
It comes pre-flashed with de-blur functionality from Borti, yes. This is tied to a pad on the board that can be connected to ground to enable the de-blur (i.e. you hook a switch up to it).

I don't know if it supports IGR or 15-bit mode, but I don't think so. My assumption is that it's a sort of "Borti-lite" firmware version with just the de-blur.

Either way, a USB Blaster clone to flash the board is incredibly cheap, so it doesn't really matter what firmware it comes with.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Yes, it comes with the modified version of my custom firmware, i.e. without 15bit mode and without IGR, but with deblur for 240p.

If you want to have IGR and don't care about the reset, you can simply left out the connection to PIF-NUS pin 27. That's correct.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Thanks for the clarification Borti! Too bad shipping got slower on the Australian letter packaging, it'll be a while until I can try everything out.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

You mean this firmware uses a switch and not a button combination?
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

GeneraLight wrote:You mean this firmware uses a switch and not a button combination?
I got my n64 recently modded by someone and they fitted a tiny switch for the deblur, just behind the front right pillar. I believe it's Tim's Board.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

GeneraLight wrote:You mean this firmware uses a switch and not a button combination?
Default firmware is a switch.

But again, it's super easy to flash Borti's full firmware to the board. I'd guess the hardest part is soldering the extra wire to the controller input.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Gunstar wrote:
I got my n64 recently modded by someone and they fitted a tiny switch for the deblur, just behind the front right pillar. I believe it's Tim's Board.
blasphamy. there is no reason to drill holes in retro consoles when with a couple of wires inside the console you can add joystick button combo to do the same!
leonk

Post by leonk »

bobrocks95 wrote:

But again, it's super easy to flash Borti's full firmware to the board. I'd guess the hardest part is soldering the extra wire to the controller input.
You're kidding right?? ;)

The middle pin of controller 1 is practically a 16ga wire. I can solder to it with a lighter!!
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

leonk wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:

You're kidding right?? ;)

The middle pin of controller 1 is practically a 16ga wire. I can solder to it with a lighter!!
Okay, so is that harder than soldering to the 6 big JTAG pads on Tim's board or not? I said "the hardest part", not that it was hard :P
leonk

Post by leonk »

If you got the skills to install the N64RGB, adding jtag/extra controller wires is very very simple. All documented on Tim's web site and Borti's github
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

You can fit a multitude of slider switches on the bottom of the console or on the sides by utilizing the existing vent holes, without having to cut anything.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

So what do you guys think is better?

De-blur being on by default and turned off using a button combination? Or de-blur being on by default and turned off using a physical switch?
leonk

Post by leonk »

GeneraLight wrote:So what do you guys think is better?

De-blur being on by default and turned off using a button combination? Or de-blur being on by default and turned off using a physical switch?
on by default - for sure. Not so visible on PVM but very very noticeable improvement on xrgb mini.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

As someone that's been doing most my n64 playing on a BVM, I think leaving de-blur on by default should be the standard. There aren't many instances when I'm turning it off, and when I do, it's just to compare the differences.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

Could someone post a comparison between on/off on a CRT? I've just never seen it in person to understand the affect w/ CRT's in particular... I've seen footage with it on MLIG, but that's on a flat screen.

Edit:: BTW... this is some confusing verbiage... deblur "on", equals blur "off"....
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

But again, it's super easy to flash Borti's full firmware to the board.
I was wondering if there was some kind of crocodile clip type thing that could be used for this, rather than soldering on and then off again immediately, it'd save time when doing customer installs for sure. Can you guys recommend anything?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

The question, "what is better: button combination or a physical switch" is up to everyone’s personal preference. Personally I prefer the button combination because of some reasons:
a) No need to solder a switch, drill holes ore anything like that: console looks as it should looks (especially for the N64, you have just a single wired controller interface so you need only one additional wire to solder (or two if you want to have reset feature, too)
b) You can simple switch between options easily without goin' to the console.
c) You have a reset, too.

b) and c) come into account if you use an Everdrive ;)
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 »

Totally agree with you, borti! :mrgreen:
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

borti4938 wrote:For some reason he has removed the GitHub repository. To my experience the code would rarely fit into the EPM240T100; however, the board of viletim is also able to carry a EPM570T100 (but with not enogh decoupling caps).
At the moment I'm thinking of publishing my version of the N64RGB board for DIY modders. The board is able to carry MaxII and MaxV CPLDs (Vccint selectable via a jumper), it uses resistor arrays instead of single resistors and it has more filtering components on it incl. for the incomming data lines.
bobrocks95 wrote:If the heuristic won't fit on Tim's board I'm perfectly fine with IGR activation, but more publicly available options definitely doesn't hurt.
Did it - I have a (hopefully) working implementation for a heuristic algorithm. And I have to correct myself. Also with the IGR implemented, it fits into the EPM240T100 - at least for my current implementation. I guess I will throw out a 'beta' firmware for testing (as it can be override anyway by switches / by the IGR)...
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I just bought a USB Blaster clone and I'll test it out with my meager N64 collection in a couple weeks :wink:
Cool stuff!
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

I still need to have my N64 fixed which was modded before you guys solved the problem. It still works good on a CRT but has problems with the XRGB. How difficult is it to to perform? I just want to get an idea of how much I should get charged.
leonk

Post by leonk »

tacoguy64 wrote:I still need to have my N64 fixed which was modded before you guys solved the problem. It still works good on a CRT but has problems with the XRGB. How difficult is it to to perform? I just want to get an idea of how much I should get charged.
the fix is really easy if you have a soldering iron. If not, contact your installer. the repair should be free.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

The less I have to get off my ass, the better. Modern systems have spoiled me. Honestly, the fact that borti created the in-game-reset button combo means this is a must-buy for me. Krikzz doesn't seem to be interested in adding a soft reset to his everdrive 64, so this is the answer.

BTW, Can anyone using a CRT see a difference with the deblur enabled?
borti4938 wrote:

The question, "what is better: button combination or a physical switch" is up to everyone’s personal preference. Personally I prefer the button combination because of some reasons:
a) No need to solder a switch, drill holes ore anything like that: console looks as it should looks (especially for the N64, you have just a single wired controller interface so you need only one additional wire to solder (or two if you want to have reset feature, too)
b) You can simple switch between options easily without goin' to the console.
c) You have a reset, too.

b) and c) come into account if you use an Everdrive ;)
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Layman here, so you got deblur button combo working on Tim's board, Borti?
tjstogy wrote: BTW, Can anyone using a CRT see a difference with the deblur enabled?
I've done some small testing on a few displays and found on my consumer CRT it makes almost zero difference, now this could just be my tv needing a focus adjustment but it looked like it was just shifting one pixel to the side. On my PVM/BVM it makes a big difference, mostly on 2D elements so a game like Mischief Makers looks like it's running on a PSX/Saturn. I can't remember my results on a pc-CRT but will try checking again.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Gunstar wrote:Layman here, so you got deblur button combo working on Tim's board, Borti?
A button combo (AKA IGR) has been in for quite a while. This is automatically choosing to turn it on or off with an algorithm.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Yes, it was in since mid August and updated since then a few times (changing button combos, sampling timing).

Yesterday I also uploaded the heuristic algorithm available for the mechanical switched version (viletim has sourced quite neat mini switches :)) as well as the version for the heuristic. Feedback is as always appreciated!
I also committed files for a complete DIY project together with the well know simple RGB mod with a single video amp: Link to the GitHub repository

Prototype:
Spoiler
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 »

borti4938 wrote:Yes, it was in since mid August and updated since then a few times (changing button combos, sampling timing).

Yesterday I also uploaded the heuristic algorithm available for the mechanical switched version (viletim has sourced quite neat mini switches :)) as well as the version for the heuristic. Feedback is as always appreciated!
I also committed files for a complete DIY project together with the well know simple RGB mod with a single video amp: Link to the GitHub repository

Prototype:
Spoiler
Thank you borti! Your work and your sharing is always much appreciated! :)
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

I guess you need wires to hook up IGR and Deblur button toggle? I couldn't seem to get them to work on my machine although it already has a physical switch. I've got another of Tim's board which I plan to use, bought a few weeks ago, good to know the firmware has the features already.
mybook4

Post by mybook4 »

Amazing work Borti! Do you think it'd be possible (resource-wise) for line doubling and component output with this setup? Im interested in building a board and am thinking about adding those features, as it would eliminate the GBS-8220 (and more lag!) from my setup.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

Borti might be the smartest and most selfless person in the world.