Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vol.2

Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing

Post by vol.2 »

how does the N64 Advanced handle deblur in comparison to tim's board? Is it pretty much the same?
Kez

Post by Kez »

vol.2 wrote:how does the N64 Advanced handle deblur in comparison to tim's board? Is it pretty much the same?
Yeah, both implementations are by the same person and functionally identical afaik
SPiET

Post by SPiET »

dibmem wrote:Sounds like you have it wired correctly - I'm looking around to see if I can verify how it's supposed to be wired with the mini-switch Tim has for sale.
I had mine deblur wired with a simple dupont wire from A to GND, then I moved onto updating the firmware so I could go switchless.

Honestly, the deblur function is very subtle on most games - You'll really only notice it on an HD (modern) screen. I couldn't see a difference on any of my CRT screens when enabled. Look at the edges on text, rather than the entire screen.

Edit: Found a twitter post with pictures you might be able to use for verification of your install method:
https://twitter.com/ghostvgm/status/1154844972585291777
i got it wired from info of Tim so here it goes.

- Solder a wire from A pad of the board to the middle pin of the Switch (row 1 or row 2).

- Solder a wire from the GND pad of the board to the left/right pin of the same row where you solder the middle pin.

Enjoy :)

Indeed playing it on my CRT, it is very subtle and you dont see it always; I tested with Super Mario 64 and Kart and there are moments when you enable/disable the switch, that you'll see the screen move a bit to the left/right that is when it is activated/deactivated.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

SPiET wrote:when you enable/disable the switch, that you'll see the screen move a bit to the left/right that is when it is activated/deactivated.
Yep, you have it then. Kinda disappointing huh? I was expecting more as well.
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

So I’m going to assemble one of borti’s power regulator boards and get rid of the noise since installing a N64RGB a few years ago. I’m thinking of putting together a N64RGB Advanced for my spare N64. Does anyone know if the 720 mod adds lag or if it is compatible with all HDMI displays? IE, does the line tripling push the signal outside standard spec and cause issues with finicky displays?
unmaker

Post by unmaker »

bonzo.bits wrote:So I’m going to assemble one of borti’s power regulator boards and get rid of the noise since installing a N64RGB a few years ago. I’m thinking of putting together a N64RGB Advanced for my spare N64. Does anyone know if the 720 mod adds lag or if it is compatible with all HDMI displays? IE, does the line tripling push the signal outside standard spec and cause issues with finicky displays?
Borti calls it "pseudo" 720p because it's not a true 720p signal. I believe it's 1280 x 768. It works fine on my PVM-20L5, OSSC, LCD monitor, and my capture card (Datapath E1S). It's not recognized on either of my HDTV's via component. I could get it to work with my HDTV's only with the OSSC or a cheap VGA to HDMI converter. Here's a direct capture of it if you're curious:

https://streamable.com/jm5r2

Just ignore the scanlines. They don't look right when captured. I don't notice any input lag in 720p on my PVM.
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

unmaker wrote:Borti calls it "pseudo" 720p because it's not a true 720p signal. I believe it's 1280 x 768. It works fine on my PVM-20L5, OSSC, LCD monitor, and my capture card (Datapath E1S). It's not recognized on either of my HDTV's via component. I could get it to work with my HDTV's only with the OSSC or a cheap VGA to HDMI converter. Here's a direct capture of it if you're curious:

https://streamable.com/jm5r2

Just ignore the scanlines. They don't look right when captured. I don't notice any input lag in 720p on my PVM.
Nice picture. Thanks.

I think I may need to look at a new display - my TV is very picky and the only OSSC line mode above 2x that it accepts is Genesis at 3x. My previous HDTV did 1280 x 768 but this one doesn’t.

I’m thinking of getting a PC CRT monitor for use with MiSTer. Any idea if this N64RGB line triple > OSSC > HDMI:VGA Converter would work?

Monitor supports these modes:

640x480@180Hz
800x600@??Hz
1024x768@>85Hz
1280x1024@85Hz
1600x1200@75Hz

Edit: nm. Since it’s basically a 16:9 resolution I think I’d be better of with a widescreen solution.
Last edited by bonzo.bits on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

The de-blur is certainly very subtle for 3D graphics, but I'd rather have it on than off - text and certain 2D graphics do look a little sharper even on high-end PVMs.
Listai

Post by Listai »

I think my RGB modded N64 has had it:

I have a Japanese console with Tim's RGB board installed. This is the second time I’ve had this issue (the first time I thought it was a faulty cable) my guess is without opening it up that there’s some kind of short or problem with the multi-out as there isn’t really any sync and only the blue signal is coming through. Retrogamingcables were kind enough to send me a replacement but while it initially seemed to fix it I think that was just a coincidence.

I’ve contacted the modder that did the install (he’s on viletim’s list of approved installers) so I’m hoping he can give me a hand. Has anyone here encountered this issue?

*EDIT* He got back to me and said he'd help me out. Here's hoping it's an easy fix!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Listai wrote:I think my RGB modded N64 has had it:
I have a Japanese console with Tim's RGB board installed. This is the second time I’ve had this issue (the first time I thought it was a faulty cable) my guess is without opening it up that there’s some kind of short or problem with the multi-out as there isn’t really any sync and only the blue signal is coming through. Retrogamingcables were kind enough to send me a replacement but while it initially seemed to fix it I think that was just a coincidence.

I’ve contacted the modder that did the install (he’s on viletim’s list of approved installers) so I’m hoping he can give me a hand. Has anyone here encountered this issue?

*EDIT* He got back to me and said he'd help me out. Here's hoping it's an easy fix!
Does composite video or S-Video still work?
Listai

Post by Listai »

nmalinoski wrote: Does composite video or S-Video still work?
I didn't have the cables to test it (I thought I still had some composite but apparently not) so I've shipped it to the modder. He's a good bloke so I'm sure he'll get to the bottom of it. Since it was an intermittent problem (it happened once six months ago) my guess is there's a connection issue at the multi-out.

If I bring up the menu on my 20L2 it will flip between SYNC/NO SYNC when the N64 input is active.
Jumpingmanjim

Post by Jumpingmanjim »

I've just finished installing Borti's N64 Advanced board and everything works except the reset button combination. I have enabled it in the menu and checked that Pin 27 of the PIF is going to the reset pad on the top left hand of the board using the continuity tester. Is there anything I might have missed?

I'm pressing Z + Start + R + A + B to try to reset but nothing happens. The other toggles (15 bit mode, deblur) work fine.
naz

Post by naz »

Hi,

I have Tim's N64RGB installed and would like to add Borti’s voltage regulator from Arthrimus to have a cleaner image (Tim added a fix for the 3.3v rail noise on revision 2.0, but I have an early 1.2 board).

The thing is I cannot find instructions on how to install the voltage regulator, is it like the picture? or does the 3.3V pad goes to somewhere on the n64 itself?? where?

Cheers!
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Yeah solder the board to the 3.3v pad, and dont any other 3.3v wires. You just want the clean power from the board. If you cut the 3.3v line where your red line is then you can solder whatever.

Funny, He told us all that resistors should be close to the source when I put them on the board, But now he has them present where Borti listened to him and made the flex cable that has the resistors close to the source. Works anyway.

And hes still powering the board/amp off 3.3v? Is that a buck booster?

Krohmium

Post by Krohmium »

ajdesmarais wrote:I just installed this new RGB board but it seems to have an issue. The video looks like this. I'm using a Luma for cync. I suppose I could try wiring it up differently, but it doesn't seem like a sync issue...

I was having the same issue after using an RGB mod as designed by F_L_a_S_H. I was able to fix it by putting the tape which I forgot under the (mav)-nus adapter soldered to the board.
CrinerBoyz

Post by CrinerBoyz »

(Removed for being a duplicate)
Last edited by CrinerBoyz on Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrinerBoyz

Post by CrinerBoyz »

Hi everyone!

I just got my Tim Worthington RGB mod up and running with a RAD2X as the cable. Everything looks great EXCEPT one small thing. I'm seeing a small artifact that almost looks like a drop shadow just to the right of Mario:

This artifact only appears around Mario in Mario 64 and Mario in Super Smash Bros. I haven't really noticed it anywhere else.

After conversing with some people on Reddit I believe I've narrowed it down to being a sync issue. Would you agree with this? If so, what would be the recommended fix? I know there are different ways of wiring Tim's mod for different types of sync, which one should I do?

Thanks for the help!
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

I just installed borti's 3.3v regulator on Tim N64 RGB board v1.2. There is no longer any noise when playing in CRT via SCART, but via OSSC there is still some noise in the picture - although it is reduced from the level prior to installing the regulator.

Anyone else had this issue? Any tips? Thanks!

EDIT: looks like I’ll need to try supplying 5V to the THS.
Freedy

Post by Freedy »

CrinerBoyz wrote:Hi everyone!

I just got my Tim Worthington RGB mod up and running with a RAD2X as the cable. Everything looks great EXCEPT one small thing. I'm seeing a small artifact that almost looks like a drop shadow just to the right of Mario:

https://i.imgur.com/BiayYIz.jpg

This artifact only appears around Mario in Mario 64 and Mario in Super Smash Bros. I haven't really noticed it anywhere else.

After conversing with some people on Reddit I believe I've narrowed it down to being a sync issue. Would you agree with this? If so, what would be the recommended fix? I know there are different ways of wiring Tim's mod for different types of sync, which one should I do?

Thanks for the help!
I dont know if it is even possible to rewire a rad2x without much destruction, but if it is, try to rewire it to sync on luma. Some n64s luma pin is ground(for example PAL pikachu model), if thats the case, cut the trace and connect CS75 to it from the RGB board. (even if luma is present, cutting the trace and connecting CS75 results a cleaner sync signal, I dont't know it it is necessary for rad2x or not)

If rewiring rad2x is not an option, you should cut the composite video trace on the N64 and connect cs75 to the multiAV composite video pin.

I don't like doing permanent mods, this is why I suggested the luma option first. (not really permanent mod, it is possible to repair the cut trace with a jumper wire)
Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It's gold. I just redid my rather messy N64A installation with a rainbow flat, shielded wire to the multiout, moving ground connections around, trying different scart cables, etc. I even added a heatsink to the FPGA. There were many noise related issues before: digital noise, loss of sync, certain colors creating strange shadow patterns. Shielded wires and rewiring helped minimally, in the end it was the 3.3v mod that fixed it. In the process I also identified another issue: aftermarket PSU. But even with stock PSU the console would display a bit of noise after cold power-on (PSU disconnected). I think the 5V source may have been an additional issue here, it went away when supplying 5V through a voltage regulator.
Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

CrinerBoyz wrote:Hi everyone!

Thanks for the help!
Could it be the LPF filter on the mod board? What configuration did you use for sync by the way?
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I think like a year ago I had a Tim Worthington board installed into my childhood N64 for me. I asked for deblur to be activated, but I genuinely can't tell if it is working or not. Here's an image from Super Mario 64
Spoiler
Also I noticed on solid color backgrounds in mario 64 (file select with the solid yellow background, star select with solid white) there's some flickering/visual noise, and when the lives counter is over certain areas (like the black void of the endless staircase) the counter becomes blurred. Are these things normal? I'm using Insurrection Industries SNES cables directly hooked into an OSSC.
strayan

Post by strayan »

De-blur is probably on but you need to patch the rom to get rid of the remaining blur:

De-blur off: https://imgur.com/n66Xo3N

De-blur + IPS patch: https://imgur.com/E2Q1i2u

De-blur + IPS patched SM64: https://imgur.com/6fSZCnn (note the text should be razor sharp with no aliasing at all)

De-blur + IPS patched OB64 https://imgur.com/QavtolL
Last edited by strayan on Sun May 09, 2021 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TorqueEmPup

Post by TorqueEmPup »

Listai wrote:I think my RGB modded N64 has had it:

Let us know how that turns out. I just installed Tim's board in mine yesterday and it started doing exactly this.
Also did it in Composite and S-Video as well as through the RGB. I didn't see anything shorting or that had come loose from the Multi-AV port. Adhesive on the fine-pitch adapter got contaminated with flux and came undone from the board when the console was operating causing the two closest pads to the rainbow ribbon to be ripped off from the pins, desoldered the rest of the fine pitch adapter and S-Video/Composite no longer has any issue.

*EDIT*
Got a new fine-pitch adapter and got it all in and has been working perfectly for days now.
Now if only there was a way to get rid of the dithering the N64 seems to love. :P

I wouldn't mind flashing borti's IGR firmware to my board, but all the previous links to the github page are dead.

*EDIT 2*
Ordered a USB Blaster so I could flash the IGR firmware. Though I am finding the github page very confusing on what firmwares are for what boards.

I think I might have found the correct one for my v2 Tim board. Would this be the correct one to use?
https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... M240T100C5

Seems like any reference to firmware specifically mentioning viletim has been deleted.
dritzthevampyr

Post by dritzthevampyr »

Edit: Disregard, problem solved
Last edited by dritzthevampyr on Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
comp1demon

Post by comp1demon »

OK so I have Etim RGB board and Borti RGB board.. Both are years old... (18 months maybe 2 years). I want to update them to the latest firmware. What do I need? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Freedy

Post by Freedy »

comp1demon wrote:OK so I have Etim RGB board and Borti RGB board.. Both are years old... (18 months maybe 2 years). I want to update them to the latest firmware. What do I need? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
You need an USB Blaster, clones work fine, too. You need some soldering, intel cpld programming tool, and a compatible firmware. You find everything on borti's github page.
Freedy

Post by Freedy »

Hi,

There is a Borti general RGBv2 board, (unfortunately I don't have the board and the system with me)

The picture is OK wth sync on composite, but with cs75 the picture is blurry and the left side of the picture is cut off.

There is continuity between the the board and the AVDC-NUS. (its an NTSC model)

Somebody asked help from me, but I have no idea other than redo the soldering. It is strange, that the picture is ok(as good as a composite sync can be) with sync on composite but not with CS75.

I'm guessing if some of the connection would be bad between the rgb board and AVDC-nus, the picture would be bad with composite sync, too. Can you give me some tips, what to check before suspecting the U3 IC?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

probably forgot to cut the csync trace on the multi out (or removing a capacitor) before connecting the new cs75.
Freedy

Post by Freedy »

Syntax wrote:probably forgot to cut the csync trace on the multi out (or removing a capacitor) before connecting the new cs75.
Thank you for the tip!
Cs75 connectiom was ok, he cut the luma trace and connected cs75 to the luma pin. Eventually he redid the soldering on the adapter flex, and it solved the problem.