shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:35 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:18 am 

You can check continuity of clock and sync between the FPGA and the ADV7125 (U2). Sync is pin 59 to 12 and VCLK is pin 43 to 24.
You can also check the separated sync output. This is pin 99 of the FPGA to R31 and pin 6 of the 74LVC3G17 (U4).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:00 pm 

Dumb question I know, but with like 50+ pages of this thread, having some trouble finding things. Is there a guide somewhere to updating the N64RGB with the de-blur firmware? I still have one of the old models, so I would like to update it and, ideally, set it to always have deblur on. I have a USB Blaster that I previously used to update my NESRGB, just need to know where to get the firmware and what wires to hook up where. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:16 pm 

thebigcheese wrote:
Dumb question I know, but with like 50+ pages of this thread, having some trouble finding things. Is there a guide somewhere to updating the N64RGB with the de-blur firmware? I still have one of the old models, so I would like to update it and, ideally, set it to always have deblur on. I have a USB Blaster that I previously used to update my NESRGB, just need to know where to get the firmware and what wires to hook up where. Thanks!

Assuming that you're using Viletim's N64RGB board, you can use the latest POF file here:

https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... es/viletim

Instructions to update firmware here:

http://etim.net.au/n64rgb/tech/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:47 pm 

CobraKing wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:

Assuming that you're using Viletim's N64RGB board, you can use the latest POF file here:

https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... es/viletim

Instructions to update firmware here:

http://etim.net.au/n64rgb/tech/

I am, thank you! However, seeing as I have an older one, I don't have the A and G pads to solder to enable the deblur. What do I need to do to make that happen? I also notice there are two POF files in there, one ending in igr and one ending in sw. What's the difference?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:21 pm 

You'd have to ask @borti4938 about the soldering pads.

The IGR suffix is for in-game routine, i.e. you press a specific button combination to enable/disable de-blur. The SW suffix is for a physical switch.

I think the IGR suffix might work in your case, just read up a bit if you can. I don't want you to brick your N64 RGB! :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:33 pm 

CobraKing wrote:
You'd have to ask @borti4938 about the soldering pads.

The IGR suffix is for in-game routine, i.e. you press a specific button combination to enable/disable de-blur. The SW suffix is for a physical switch.

I think the IGR suffix might work in your case, just read up a bit if you can. I don't want you to brick your N64 RGB! :mrgreen:

Ah! Nevermind, on further digging I see that the A/M pads are really just extensions of pins on the CPLD. So I would just connect pin 100 to ground to have it on via the heuristic, M to ground to have it force on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:29 am 

That's correct. Pin 100 is a 'corner' pin. If you also want to use Manual, you can also use pin 1 instead of 99 reducing the risc of a short a bit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:04 am 

I just started playing around with a console with an N64Advanced board. It's a great device! I'm thinking of leaving the de-blur setting on auto. Does borti or anyone else have a list of games in which it is better to force either on or off? What about a list of 15bit color games?

The line doubling mode is really interesting, and I'm happy that the board supports 480p output through a SCART cable. When combined with the OSSC doubling the 480p output it rivals the look of line3x/5x. I can't decide which one I prefer, but the 480p doubled may actually look a little sharper on my display at least.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:12 am 

fernan1234 wrote:
I just started playing around with a console with an N64Advanced board. It's a great device! I'm thinking of leaving the de-blur setting on auto. Does borti or anyone else have a list of games in which it is better to force either on or off? What about a list of 15bit color games?

The line doubling mode is really interesting, and I'm happy that the board supports 480p output through a SCART cable. When combined with the OSSC doubling the 480p output it rivals the look of line3x/5x. I can't decide which one I prefer, but the 480p doubled may actually look a little sharper on my display at least.

Borti talks about the benefit of 15bit color mode here:

https://youtu.be/xsSqNplCx4k?t=1075

Star Fox 64 is the only game I know of that benefits from this but there might be a few others.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:16 am 

Potentially dumb question, but is there any long term risk to RGB modding an N64? I have a modded Japanese console, but one lingering fear is that the RGB mod will over time "burn out" the GPU faster than if left stock. Is this unfounded, or can the mod prematurely kill an N64?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:54 pm 

I just got done fitting the N64RGB v1.2 board successfully to my system and I am just trying it out.

Really happy with the results but I actually play on a CRT and I am trying to work out what are the best settings for playing on a CRT as I cant really see much difference when switching the deblur function (C-Left and C-Right on the controller) although I do see a huge difference with the 15bit mode (C-Up and C-Down) where if I select C-Up which according to the documentation should disable 15bit mode I see much less dithering going on and everything looks smoother.

Is this what I should be seeing on a CRT as it feels like pressing C-Up and C-Down is actually adjusting deblur not 15 bit mode based upon what I have been reading. Is that possible?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:35 pm 

flex wrote:
I just got done fitting the N64RGB v1.2 board successfully to my system and I am just trying it out.

Really happy with the results but I actually play on a CRT and I am trying to work out what are the best settings for playing on a CRT as I cant really see much difference when switching the deblur function (C-Left and C-Right on the controller) although I do see a huge difference with the 15bit mode (C-Up and C-Down) where if I select C-Up which according to the documentation should disable 15bit mode I see much less dithering going on and everything looks smoother.

Is this what I should be seeing on a CRT as it feels like pressing C-Up and C-Down is actually adjusting deblur not 15 bit mode based upon what I have been reading. Is that possible?

WRT deblur, it shouldn't have much effect when playing on CRT. The native blurring becomes overly apparent as you line multiply, and results in an overly fuzzy picture at higher line multiplication modes, which in turn, is where the deblur feature offers the best results.

I am interested to know about the dithering tho, cuz I recently acquired a CRT, and the dithering is now extremely noticeable to me (probably just a matter of awareness, more than anything). But I'm also wondering, does the deblur being on or off potentially affect the visibility of dithering?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:58 pm 

NoAffinity wrote:
flex wrote:

WRT deblur, it shouldn't have much effect when playing on CRT. The native blurring becomes overly apparent as you line multiply, and results in an overly fuzzy picture at higher line multiplication modes, which in turn, is where the deblur feature offers the best results.

I am interested to know about the dithering tho, cuz I recently acquired a CRT, and the dithering is now extremely noticeable to me (probably just a matter of awareness, more than anything). But I'm also wondering, does the deblur being on or off potentially affect the visibility of dithering?

Ok so I plugged the N64 directly into my LG 55" LED TV in my lounge which luckily does have a small add on cable for a SCART connection still so I could have a play and test a few things. I do not have an upscaler yet but planning on getting the OSSC for such purposes at some point.

For the record the mod is definaltey not enabling the wrong modes and is working correctly. I tested a couple of games and deblur does make some difference although not as big as I would have expected but this might make more sense if I was using an upscaler like you say so thanks for clearing that up. I am definatley seeing better results on both the CRT and the LED TV with 15 bit mode disabled... it would seem i need to disable this every time i start up the console though which is odd as I thought the default is supposed to be off.

If i load up Goldeneye (PAL Version) i definatley get the best results with 15bit mode off and deblur disabled... I can really see it on the mission screen text it is much sharper in this configuration.

To answer your question I believe the really noticeable dithering is being caused by 15 bit mode being enabled is all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:30 pm 

flex wrote:
NoAffinity wrote:
flex wrote:

Ok so I plugged the N64 directly into my LG 55" LED TV in my lounge which luckily does have a small add on cable for a SCART connection still so I could have a play and test a few things. I do not have an upscaler yet but planning on getting the OSSC for such purposes at some point.

For the record the mod is definaltey not enabling the wrong modes and is working correctly. I tested a couple of games and deblur does make some difference although not as big as I would have expected but this might make more sense if I was using an upscaler like you say so thanks for clearing that up. I am definatley seeing better results on both the CRT and the LED TV with 15 bit mode disabled... it would seem i need to disable this every time i start up the console though which is odd as I thought the default is supposed to be off.

If i load up Goldeneye (PAL Version) i definatley get the best results with 15bit mode off and deblur disabled... I can really see it on the mission screen text it is much sharper in this configuration.

To answer your question I believe the really noticeable dithering is being caused by 15 bit mode being enabled is all.

Enabling 15-bit mode reduces the color depth from 21 to 15 bits, and will only be an improvement in a very small number of games (don't remember hearing about more than 1 or 2). Z + Start + R + C-up deactivates it (Z + Start + R + C-down activates), so if that happens to be the button combination you have to put in on startup, then your board is wired to have it on at console start.

In other words, just to be clear, you want 15-bit mode OFF at most all times.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:44 pm 

bobrocks95 wrote:

Enabling 15-bit mode reduces the color depth from 21 to 15 bits, and will only be an improvement in a very small number of games (don't remember hearing about more than 1 or 2). Z + Start + R + C-up deactivates it (Z + Start + R + C-down activates), so if that happens to be the button combination you have to put in on startup, then your board is wired to have it on at console start.

Cool thanks... now to work out why my board is defaulting to on then!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:00 pm 

I have a small problem with my N64 RGB mod using Etim's board on my pal N64 using a Gamecube RGB scart and sync at CS75. You can see it on the video just above the Mario A and Mario B there is a horizontal flickering. I already shorten the wires in order to fix the red nose and ears artifacts on Mario 64 and all my connection tested with a multimeter seems ok. Same thing is apparent with a pal Snes RGB cable with sync on Luma (even though the image is darker since my jumpers are for Gamecube). I have ordered a new Gamecube RGB scart cable just in case but i dont think the cable is the problem...

https://youtu.be/tNFPUABUENs

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also have a Happy new Year!!!

Edit: I think my problem is thoroughly examined in this topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61455&start=90

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:30 am 

flex wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:

Cool thanks... now to work out why my board is defaulting to on then!

Just thought I would post an update and say the board is actually working 100% correctly and is not defaulting to 15-Bit mode after all, now I understand the correct operation I can see the deblur is also turning on and off automatically on certain screens (based upon its detection algorithm i guess)... I can see it disable on the goldeneye mission select screen for example as the text becomes smoother after a few seconds.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1037 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35