shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:07 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1030 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo 64 RGB Blur fixing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:33 pm 

magus90 wrote:
kel wrote:
magus90 wrote:
I guess my main question if anyone would be kind enough to help me out. How is compatibility at the moment? Do most games work fine or do some have to be fiddled with? I know some are better without it so i am installing a switch.

No need to install a switch in case you find a game that you would rather turn it off for. Just add 2 wires from the N64 PIF chip to the RGB board and you can turn it on or off anytime using the controller.

Interesting, had no idea. Is there a certain button combo or something to turn it on/off? Thanks a bunch

The button combinations are documented here on borti's github: https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/blob/master/Guide_N64A_n_N64RGB.pdf

You can even change them to something else and build the firmware yourself or if you do not wish to build the firmware yourself for any reason you can make a request to borti as described here: https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/blob/master/IGR.README.md

strayan wrote:
I've got the cash to buy an N64 with ultrahdmi mod to play The New Tetris but I'm not sure whether I need a NTSC or PAL console.

I want to run the game at 720p (with integer scaling) but I read that some PAL games are 288p while the NTSC versions are 240p and I assume the former doesn't scale as well as the latter.

Given I don't know whether the PAL version of The New Tetris runs at 240p or 288p am I right to think it would be wiser to opt for an NTSC console so I get a clean integer scale?

The UltraHDMI has a PAL stretch/fix feature so the only difference between that and a 240p NTSC version of a game should be the refresh rate as far as I know although if the game has been converted to 288p without borders then it's possible that the scaling could be different from the NTSC version also, IDK. Saying that though, I can't say much about the integer scaling option as I haven't really used it much but in the normal scaling mode the scanlines in 50hz are uneven, more so in 720p than 1080p. which is not the case in 60hz so probably best to go for a NTSC console just for this reason unless it's fixed soon with an update.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:25 pm 

strayan wrote:
I'm not sure whether I need a NTSC or PAL console.

I expect you already know this but just in case, lot of N64 games including some of the best run slowly in PAL - e.g. PAL Mario 64, Mario kart 64 & Ocarina of time all feel like you're playing through treacle in comparison to NTSC. Even the ones that have had the speed optimised (i.e. Rare's games) tend to run at a lower frame rate - the drop from 30fps to 25fps is quite a big hit at these numbers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:49 pm 

Spoiler: show

This is the first time I've come across such a pad. I'll have no issue hand soldering the leads but I haven't got a clue what I'm supposed to do with this center section. Could anyone give me some general guidance as to how I'm supposed to solder this area? Does this require a hot air station?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:31 pm 

This is for the FPGAs exposed pad and has to be connected to GND. Easiest way to solder that is with hot air. With a normal soldering iron you can apply solder to this footprint pad, give some flux on it, place the FPGA and reflow it from bottom. This works, too.
This board went never into public and was a prototype. Newer versions have no solder mask at the bottom side of the vias so that reflowing from bottom is easier.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:18 am 

borti4938 wrote:
This is for the FPGAs exposed pad and has to be connected to GND. Easiest way to solder that is with hot air. With a normal soldering iron you can apply solder to this footprint pad, give some flux on it, place the FPGA and reflow it from bottom. This works, too.
This board went never into public and was a prototype. Newer versions have no solder mask at the bottom side of the vias so that reflowing from bottom is easier.

Thank you very much borti! I can't wait to try out your board, you're amazing!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:25 pm 

Thanks again Borti for the great work with the N64 Advanced board. I'm very happy with the board and am interested in updating the firmware to the February 18th commit (i.e. in n64rgb/advancedRGBmod/firmware/output_files/10cl010ye144/n64a_10cl010ye144.jic).

Although I have flashed AVR microcontrollers many times, I am new to FPGA programming/flashing. I have an Altera USB Blaster clone (one linked to earlier in the thread), have installed Quartus Prime Programmer, downloaded the JIC file for the 10CL010YE144, and have followed the programming instructions (in pages 28-29) of Guide_N64A_n_N64RGB.pdf.

When clicking "start" in Quartus, I am receiving the error "209040 Can't access JTAG chain". I have tried programming both in Windows and Linux (as root). I have re-seated the programmer ribbon cable on both the N64 Advanced board as well as the programmer. I have tried programming with the N64 power on and with the N64 power off. My N64 advanced board is connected to both the 3.3v and 5v rails of the N64.

Any ideas?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:44 pm 

If you cant access the Jtag chain then your blaster cable is not installed to the N64 board correctly.

I found this out when I got impatient last week and cut down a HDD IDE cable to use. Had a loose wire.

If you get stuck out follow FBX's guide
http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:13 pm 

Hi Borti - quick question - if I flash the N64A test firmware, do the jumpers get ignored completely or do they need to be in a specific state (e.g. all open)? Thanks!

Also, has anyone ever tried the Hori pad mini with N64A? For some reason, the commands for turning de-blur on and off almost never work with that pad. I am not sure if it is an issue with my pad specifically, or the pad is different in some other way. It works perfectly in games. Sometimes if I keep pressing all the relevant buttons the blur will change, but it is very rare.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 pm 

Use the jumpers as like as in the non-test branch. Your jumper setting acts like a default if the config word in the flash is not valid. You can also load from your jumper set via the menu.

Just test with the menu. In the menu you'll have the controller reading word on the main page. ATM it's my test output but you can use that to see if the output reading is stable with your Hori pad. You may also compare that to a normal one. Personally, I don't have such a pad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:26 pm 

borti4938 wrote:
In the menu you'll have the controller reading word on the main page. ATM it's my test output but you can use that to see if the output reading is stable with your Hori pad.

Okay I've had a look at the readings from the Hori pad, it's strange - the N64A doesn't seem to be able to detect anything at all from it.

Here are a couple comparison videos:
Normal controller
Hori pad

In the background I am running a controller test ROM that you can see is picking up the inputs from the Hori pad. I had to hotswap the pads as I cannot bring up the menu with the Hori, but if I plug the original pad back in the inputs are once again detected.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:10 pm 

Thank you for the feedback!
Unfortunately I do not own such a pad. I have to look on an oscilloscope to see what is exactly going on. I will try to find someone on the German forums to borrow me one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:21 pm 

borti4938 wrote:
Thank you for the feedback!
Unfortunately I do not own such a pad. I have to look on an oscilloscope to see what is exactly going on. I will try to find someone on the German forums to borrow me one.

Well I am in the UK rather than Germany but I would be very happy to loan you mine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:44 pm 

Thank you for the offer. I'll come to you back if I cannot find somebody from Germany.

But meanwhile, it could be also something completely simple. I restricted the reaction time to 64us after the N64 command for input reading. Maybe it's too short for the Hori pad. Here is a build where I increased the timeout to 1ms: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ak6zennu4n1wy ... 4.rar?dl=0
maybe it could be also something to do with the very last check bit (actually it's a controllersymbol which is neither a 0 nor a 1 by protocol). But this could we try next...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:04 pm 

borti4938 wrote:
Thank you for the offer. I'll come to you back if I cannot find somebody from Germany.

But meanwhile, it could be also something completely simple. I restricted the reaction time to 64us after the N64 command for input reading. Maybe it's too short for the Hori pad. Here is a build where I increased the timeout to 1ms: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ak6zennu4n1wy ... 4.rar?dl=0
maybe it could be also something to do with the very last check bit (actually it's a controllersymbol which is neither a 0 nor a 1 by protocol). But this could we try next...

The Hori Pad uses different timings for the protocol... Unfortunately, I cannot find the source.

A strategy that should work with any controller would be to count the time the line is high and low and based on the count you can guess if it was supposed to be a 1 or 0.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:36 pm 

In a small research I haven't found any information about that the Hori pad modifies the protocol timings. I also doubt that the PIF-NUS / PIF(P)-NUS allows for a large variance until I see something different.
I also found another reading implementation, where the problem is tackeled in the same way as I do; just with a higher sampling rate but also with a threshold at 2us.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:00 pm 

Thanks for looking into it, I tried the test build and unfortunately still no luck. Happy to test out anything else you suggest. There is always a possibility that something is off about my controller, N64 or installation so if anyone else is able to test it that would help rule it out. I believe this controller is pretty popular.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:09 pm 

borti4938 wrote:
In a small research I haven't found any information about that the Hori pad modifies the protocol timings. I also doubt that the PIF-NUS / PIF(P)-NUS allows for a large variance until I see something different.
I also found another reading implementation, where the problem is tackeled in the same way as I do; just with a higher sampling rate but also with a threshold at 2us.

Found the source. Look for "Hori-mini support".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:45 pm 

meneerbeer wrote:
borti4938 wrote:

Interesting info, here is a direct link to the relevant section.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:46 am 

meneerbeer wrote:
borti4938 wrote:

I was wrong - Fantastic! Thank you! :)
Obviously I throw away the complete read at the very end check symbol. That‘s why you will not have at least anything...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:29 pm 

Syntax wrote:
If you cant access the Jtag chain then your blaster cable is not installed to the N64 board correctly.

I found this out when I got impatient last week and cut down a HDD IDE cable to use. Had a loose wire.

If you get stuck out follow FBX's guide
http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

Thanks. I took a look at the guide.

I continuity tested each wire of the 10-pin cable. The cable is ok.

I then connected to a logic analyzer and recorded the signals when attempting to program the board (see pictures below). I'm running out of ideas! It seems like I am missing something very simple. Any more ideas? Thanks again!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:56 pm 

Anyone know where I can purchase a Tim Worthington board with the fine pitch adapter?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:09 pm 

Bahn Yuki wrote:
Anyone know where I can purchase a Tim Worthington board with the fine pitch adapter?

The only web shop I'm aware of is Tim's shop, but unfortunately it seems it's out of stock. You may want to PM either Tim or borti to see if they sell directly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:49 pm 

@mybook4
Do you use a Chinese USB Blaster clone? If yes, I've read somewhere that there are versions out which need a 'special' windows driver. Not sure if you want to try it, but if so, just write me a PM.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:04 pm 

Just a follow-up. It turns out Borti was right on the money. I am using a blaster clone and it turned out to be a driver issue. The issue was resolved by uninstalling the v17 programming utility and drivers, installing the FBX-linked v13 Altera utility (with drivers), then installing the v17 utility again. Thanks for the link Syntax!

Afterwards, the jic was able to be successfully flashed to the N64A board. Enjoying the amazing menu!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:29 pm 

I am having an issue that I cannot figure out. I modded two systems back and they both have the same issue with the display. Im not sure what exactly the issue is referred to as:

https://imgur.com/k0CGrpI

https://imgur.com/E8VThTp

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 pm 

Is anyone producing Borti's N64 Advanced RGB boards yet? Possibly with a flex cable instead of a ribbon cable?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:05 am 

VeeThree wrote:
I am having an issue that I cannot figure out. I modded two systems back and they both have the same issue with the display. Im not sure what exactly the issue is referred to as:

Can you describe what’s wrong?? your picture host crushed those photos and can’t tell what’s wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:12 am 

leonk wrote:
VeeThree wrote:

Can you describe what’s wrong?? your picture host crushed those photos and can’t tell what’s wrong.

Looks like major ghosting on the right edge of the N64 logo and on the left side of the text in the second image.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:21 pm 

Ah..

I've seen that before. You need to update your software. Here's where you can get the latest firmware:

https://github.com/borti4938/n64rgb/tre ... es/viletim

If all else fails, put Tim's original firmware back on. If you have a good install, those issues will not be there:

http://etim.net.au/n64rgb/tech/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:08 am 

On my second install of the N64RGBA. I get a black screen with sound on PVM.

I installed it and tried to jtag but kept getting jtag chain error. So just to rule out the port or the clone usb blaster . I took the flash from the working unit and tried. I only get a black screen with sound. Without flash I would get a black screen.

Things to note
Regular composite works.
U6 measured 1.2 and U7 measured 2.5
3.3 and 5v measured fine.
I checked for shorts. This is also the VDC-NUS version, its almost impossible to get shorts on that. I doubled checked anyway.
Pins 3 and 7(luma/Csync) are bridged and I am using a luma sync cable which worked with the other unit

Is the FPGA bad?

Any other measurement I can take.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1030 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next