GBA HDMI Adapter + RGB output (WIP)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guspaz

Re: GBA HDMI Adapter + RGB output (WIP)

Post by Guspaz »

Woozle wrote:Fixed http://imgur.com/a/VI8vN had scanlines set for line tripling mode, currently in 4x mode.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Also for the Zelda LTTP pics, the in game brightness setting was turned to max...I thought I had turned it to normal but guess not. Explains the overly bright pictures earlier.
You know, I had completely forgotten that the game even had a brightness setting... And so when I tested out the game on the GBP/GBI, it looked absurdly bright on my projector. I had last played it on an original SP, where I had clearly maxed out the brightness.

Now I wish that more GBA games had such an option, there are a lot of other overbright games out there that don't have any such option.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Minish Cap also has three brightness settings.
triforceofwisdom

Post by triforceofwisdom »

Woozle is there a way to make a version of the gba whether it be a mod of the gba or a fpga clone that can use the snes sounds?
DiegoPonga

Re: GBA HDMI Adapter (WIP)

Post by DiegoPonga »

bobrocks95 wrote:I think the biggest question is how you're handling the GBA's odd refresh rate. I doubt many HDTVs like a 59.7275 Hz refresh. This is probably related to the vertical scrolling stuff you're seeing.
Couldn't this be fixed if using DisplayPort (or, in the future, HDMI 2.1) and a VRR monitor?
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

Almost anything is possible with enough fpga resources, but it would be way beyond my ability to implement such a thing.

My fpga board doesn't have access to GBA CPU so I can't snoop on CPU activity and figure out when sounds are being played.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

DiegoPonga wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:I think the biggest question is how you're handling the GBA's odd refresh rate. I doubt many HDTVs like a 59.7275 Hz refresh. This is probably related to the vertical scrolling stuff you're seeing.
Couldn't this be fixed if using DisplayPort (or, in the future, HDMI 2.1) and a VRR monitor?
Screen tearing/stuttering can be 100% fixed by overclocking the GBA to match standard hdmi timing. I've tested it for many hours on the latest prototype and so far haven't seen a bit of tearing. It works so well that I wouldn't bother trying to create a DisplayPort solution for this project.

Another option is to have fpga do hdmi at 59.7275hz and hope the TV accepts it. But that's just asking for problems.
DiegoPonga

Post by DiegoPonga »

Woozle wrote:
DiegoPonga wrote:
Screen tearing/stuttering can be 100% fixed by overclocking the GBA to match standard hdmi timing. I've tested it for many hours on the latest prototype and so far haven't seen a bit of tearing. It works so well that I wouldn't bother trying to create a DisplayPort solution for this project.

Another option is to have fpga do hdmi at 59.7275hz and hope the TV accepts it. But that's just asking for problems.
Hm, that sounds good acually!
triforceofwisdom

Post by triforceofwisdom »

Woozle so it's impossle to implement snes sound with the fpga then?
dariodb

Post by dariodb »

Hey Woozle, sorry if this has been asked before but I searched around and couldn't find an answer. I see on your pics that you are using a model AGB-001. Do you think it would be feasible to implement your solution using GBA SP (either 001 or 101) boards? The reason I ask is because I know a lot of 101s have been gutted for their screen so that would make them an ideal candidate for a consolized version. In any case, thanks for putting so much effort in your work, it is highly appreciated.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

dariodb wrote:Hey Woozle, sorry if this has been asked before but I searched around and couldn't find an answer. I see on your pics that you are using a model AGB-001. Do you think it would be feasible to implement your solution using GBA SP (either 001 or 101) boards? The reason I ask is because I know a lot of 101s have been gutted for their screen so that would make them an ideal candidate for a consolized version. In any case, thanks for putting so much effort in your work, it is highly appreciated.
As far as I know, it should be possible to support the SP. I would just need to change the 40-pin FFC connector on the PCB to the correct pin count connector used by the SP. I have an SP motherboard sitting on my desk so that I can figure out the SP ribbon connector pinout, just haven't gotten around to it.

I'm actually trying to get the HDMI board to work with the Gameboy Player without the Gamecube as I think that might be the best home for the kit. So far I have the solder points mapped out, I know how to enable the power rails and pull the GBA chips out of reset...I think all that's missing is to feed a clock signal to the board to get it running, but I haven't wired it up and tried that yet.
TheDragonborne999

Post by TheDragonborne999 »

Hey Woozle, I was just wondering when you build this console will you be able make controllers that remap buttons. Like say an SNES controller with L and R Mapped to select and start? Also do have an estimate of price and time of completion.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I had a few thoughts and questions regarding the ideal or desired usability of the final kit.

When used with an original GBA, is it intended to replace the LCD and screen plastic? Or would it be possible to fit and use it alongside the original display, somewhat like the hdmyboy?

One thing that I don't think has been specifically mentioned is power delivery. (I could have simply missed it, though.) I believe your controller test video from May 2017 showed the mod using with USB Micro-B for power; is that the case?

(Side thought: I'm wondering how feasible/desirable it'd be to, instead of ripping out the LCD and front screen, repurpose the battery compartment to provide some kind of interface connector for the HDMI adapter and a USB Mini-B port (because structural robustness), so you could package the HDMI mod as a dock that you pop the GBA onto when you're at home, and then power it via USB with a portable powerbank when you're on the go.)
Woozle wrote:I'm actually trying to get the HDMI board to work with the Gameboy Player without the Gamecube as I think that might be the best home for the kit. So far I have the solder points mapped out, I know how to enable the power rails and pull the GBA chips out of reset...I think all that's missing is to feed a clock signal to the board to get it running, but I haven't wired it up and tried that yet.
So, due to the design's reliance on tapping the raw display data, it sounds like it wouldn't be possible to adapt this mod to something you can just plop down onto the existing EXT connector, avoiding modification to the GB Player.

I understand the point of modifying a GBP would be to get it to run standalone, but would these modifications prevent it from being used with a GameCube as originally intended?
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

nmalinoski wrote: When used with an original GBA, is it intended to replace the LCD and screen plastic? Or would it be possible to fit and use it alongside the original display, somewhat like the hdmyboy?
It is intended to replace the LCD and fully convert it to a console. This allows you to use the GBA as a controller and it simplifies the enclosure design by reusing the GBA shell. I have no intentions at this time to make it work alongside the LCD.
nmalinoski wrote: One thing that I don't think has been specifically mentioned is power delivery. (I could have simply missed it, though.) I believe your controller test video from May 2017 showed the mod using with USB Micro-B for power; is that the case?
Yes, it is powered from a micro USB cable. My test setup (GBA + FPGA board + GBA everdrive) draws well under 500 mA so most USB ports should work to power the device.
nmalinoski wrote: (Side thought: I'm wondering how feasible/desirable it'd be to, instead of ripping out the LCD and front screen, repurpose the battery compartment to provide some kind of interface connector for the HDMI adapter and a USB Mini-B port (because structural robustness), so you could package the HDMI mod as a dock that you pop the GBA onto when you're at home, and then power it via USB with a portable powerbank when you're on the go.)
I don't think I would pursue a docking solution. GBAs are cheap and many people like to add backlit screens (which take up more internal space). Seems easier to just dedicate one GBA to this mod and another to a backlit portable GBA.
nmalinoski wrote: So, due to the design's reliance on tapping the raw display data, it sounds like it wouldn't be possible to adapt this mod to something you can just plop down onto the existing EXT connector, avoiding modification to the GB Player.
I understand the point of modifying a GBP would be to get it to run standalone, but would these modifications prevent it from being used with a GameCube as originally intended?
It wouldn't be easy to install in a GB player since you'd have to solder every connection (15 pins for RGB video, hsync, vsync, clock, 10 controller buttons, power). I have no idea if it could be made to work with the EXT connector, I don't know much about it. My board raises the GBA clock frequency to obtain a 60 Hz vertical refresh rate, that could potentially interfere with the GB player software.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Woozle wrote:My board raises the GBA clock frequency to obtain a 60 Hz vertical refresh rate, that could potentially interfere with the GB player software.
Game Boy Interface wouldn't mind it, but I'm not sure how the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc's audio renderer would behave.
Null

Post by Null »

I just stumbled upon your project and i really would love to get one of these ;) is this project still running? Are you still planning to release the kit? When?
What would you need to finish this project?

Keep up the great work.
Eatitup_86

Post by Eatitup_86 »

Looking forward to seeing this go up for sale on Game-Tech's site soon. :)

Will there be a way to overclock the GBA with the hdmi adapter?

I have seen a bunch of fairly straightforward overclocking mods that tack on another crystal oscillator to make the system run at 2 or 3X speeds which can be toggled via a switch as well as the GBAccelerator chip that can change speed on the fly with a button combination.

Definitely would be great to be able to do things like that for RPG gaming on the big screen. :D
Null

Post by Null »

Pushing this topic again :)
Has anyone contact to the author?
Or knows of a similar project?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

There's a similar project brewing down here in Aus called the VGAmite by BennVenn.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Just curious but what is the status of this project? How close is it to being for functional?

Edit: Found the gametech page selling them and I noticed it says that it is usb powered, is that the entire console or just the video converter?
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

The entire thing is powered from the USB connector on the HDMI kit. You leave the batteries out of the GBA and use the kit's power switch to toggle the whole thing on and off.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

retrorgb wrote:The entire thing is powered from the USB connector on the HDMI kit. You leave the batteries out of the GBA and use the kit's power switch to toggle the whole thing on and off.
That's awesome! I was afraid I would have to use that ugly af PowerPak EX with it. Maybe you could ask Collingall if he would be interested in making a stand for it? If you don't need batteries then the stand could even lock in place where the battery cover used to (which would also prevent people from putting batteries in it because you know that is going to be a thing)
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

I bought this stand for it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292645762396
Works great! I'll have a video of my setup soon...
strygo

Post by strygo »

Woozle and Game Tech shared an update video yesterday and it looks like the product is fast approaching release. You can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NugKvyCv6PY. There is a preorder raffle that you can enter, and if you're lucky, you could receive a device in the next month or so.

The options demonstrated in the video are quite impressive and it is shaping up quite nicely.

It will be interesting to see what the options are for outputting to a CRT. It looks like while RGB was available in earlier prototypes, it is no longer a feature. Game Tech's listing page doesn't mention 240p or 480p. I would guess that outputting these lower resolutions shouldn't be terribly difficult. I'm interested in community opinion here.

The one thing I'm not a huge fan of is the form-factor. I'd personally like a full enclosure like the Behar Bros. Game Gear. I had that old TV-out device for my GBA way back in the day and holding the device while playing was awkward. I can't imagine most people would go this route and would instead use the SNES controller port.

Quite exciting!
beharius

Post by beharius »

It's already in the cards... Our partner in Japan has been hunting them for a while. :)

strygo wrote:Woozle and Game Tech shared an update video yesterday and it looks like the product is fast approaching release. You can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NugKvyCv6PY. There is a preorder raffle that you can enter, and if you're lucky, you could receive a device in the next month or so.

The options demonstrated in the video are quite impressive and it is shaping up quite nicely.

It will be interesting to see what the options are for outputting to a CRT. It looks like while RGB was available in earlier prototypes, it is no longer a feature. Game Tech's listing page doesn't mention 240p or 480p. I would guess that outputting these lower resolutions shouldn't be terribly difficult. I'm interested in community opinion here.

The one thing I'm not a huge fan of is the form-factor. I'd personally like a full enclosure like the Behar Bros. Game Gear. I had that old TV-out device for my GBA way back in the day and holding the device while playing was awkward. I can't imagine most people would go this route and would instead use the SNES controller port.

Quite exciting!
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

According to the video they are only releasing small numbers at first in case they need an update to deal with some unforseen problem. My question is if there is an update to deal with something like that would I need to send it to someone or could I update it myself with an everdrive?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Wolf at it again with the unanswerable questions.

How longs a piece of string mate?
How can you ask people to determine your ability to fix an unforeseen problem? lmao.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Syntax wrote:Wolf at it again with the unanswerable questions.

How can you ask people to determine your ability to fix an unforeseen problem? lmao.
Are you retarded? As in do you actually posses some form of mental faculty malfunction? If you bothered to read my question before responding and had an iq high enough to understand it you should easily realize that "Can the firmware be updated via everdrive?" is a pretty easily answered question from the person that built it...
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Syntax wrote:How longs a piece of string mate?
Twice the distance from the center to each side ;p
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Wolf_ wrote:
Syntax wrote:Wolf at it again with the unanswerable questions.

Are you retarded? As in do you actually posses some form of mental faculty malfunction? If you bothered to read my question before responding and had an iq high enough to understand it you should easily realize that "Can the firmware be updated via everdrive?" is a pretty easily answered question from the person that built it...
You're assuming that any errors in the first batch will only be software related with that attitude.
You were present for the SSDS3 shamozle so you should know better.

I see what your getting at though, flashing via a cart would be nice and easy for updates but i'd say you'd need a programmer for it.
They are usually pretty cheap and walk thrus available.
Kez

Post by Kez »

In general I would say flashing via homebrew/everdrive/whatever is gonna be too difficult to implement. I don't think these AV devices communicate with the console in any meaningful way, they just take power and hijack the video, audio and controller signals. To update like you're suggesting would (uneducated guess forthcoming) surely require a) a much more complicated mod/installation and b) development of software which is able to run on the device and talk to the mod. Mostly you're gonna be looking at running updates with a programmer, maybe with an SD card or USB connection to PC.