PS2 @ 240p

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strygo

Re: PS2 @ 240p

Post by strygo »

Fudoh wrote:BUT: there's a set of internal dips or jumpers which can control sync polarity and by altering these you can reverse the behavior of the DDSP switch, so the interface will output 240p when DDSP is DISABLED, hence leaving the other controls active. That's not the standard config though.
I picked up an Rxi 201 to use in conjunction with my PVM-1954Q. I'm seeing behavior that is consistent with azmun and BazookaBen. Specifically, DDSP=on has somewhere between no to minimal effect with converting the signal to 240p. If I put DDSP=off and adjust the vertical position (up about 5-6 lines, similar to BazookaBen) I see more prominent scanlines. The signal is much less clean with DDSP=off (especially compared to not having the Rxi in the setup at all). So DDSP=off and tweaking the vertical position "works" but unsatisfactorily. I'd like to figure out why we're seeing different results from others.

Fudoh, I initially opened the Rxi and tried adjusting the video clamping - switching to tip from porch - this caused no signal to be displayed. I since discovered your comments above - do you have any more detail on what polarity should be used? Right now the device is configured to output with the same polarity as what is input.
strygo

Post by strygo »

I tried both sets of polarities and it didn't have any effect. Overall, ADSP isn't bad - my primary beef is that a number of lines in the upper right of the display are distorted. I remember seeing someone with this problem in another thread, but I can't find it at this point.

I guess at this point, I'll need to track down an Emotia.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Is this the issue you have?
Spoiler
That's a PS2 running through an Extron Interface 192V to a PVM. I couldn't find a resolution and each console exhibits it to a certain degree. I think only SNES had the least /almost none distortion at the top.
strygo

Post by strygo »

werk91 wrote:Is this the issue you have?
Yes, that's it! I only see it when using ADSP.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Fudoh,

Did you peek at the TVOne for downscaling to 240p?
We apologise for the inconvenience
elfoam

Post by elfoam »

strygo wrote:
werk91 wrote:Is this the issue you have?
Yes, that's it! I only see it when using ADSP.
This is a sync issue. You can make those exact waves on a Commodore 1084 monitor by switching between CVBS sync and RGB while a RGB device is plugged into it.. How to fix it I'm not sure but hopefully that leads someone in the right direction. Great thread by the way, I"ll be testing a Extron 192 soon..
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

elfoam wrote:Great thread by the way
Great necrobump by the way :)

It might - or might not - be of interest that the Extron Interface 'fake' 240p trick did not work for me on a JVC TM-H monitor (while it did work on a PVM 20M4E). My RGB Interface doesn't have a v.shift feature so I couldn't test that.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I've been running some WiiWare games (Mega Man 9/10, Konami Rebirth games) at 240p to a CRT via Dolphin and CRT EmuDriver. So I have a perfect reference point to what these games are supposed to look like. I haven't been able to match that look with any of my three Extron RGB's, unfortunately. Even my 201rxi with the vertical shift can't get a perfectly clean looking faux 240p. There's always a renegade field or five out of the 60 fields, adding a subtle flicker and blurriness.

Since Extron's are so cheap, though, I still might buy a few more models to see if I can find one that does the trick.
holaplaneta

Post by holaplaneta »

BazookaBen wrote: Since Extron's are so cheap, though, I still might buy a few more models to see if I can find one that does the trick.
Did you find any way to get them to do what you wanted?