SMS hardware & compatibility questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FRO

SMS hardware & compatibility questions

Post by FRO »

1. Is there any region lockout on games or major differences in cartridge casing? I ask because eBay has a TON of games listed from Europe, but as a US gamer I want to make sure these carts will play on a US SMS or Genesis w/ Power Base Converter w/o some expensive converter cart.

2. Has anyone here purchased or tried the AV cable for Genesis/SMS? I have a Model 1 Genesis & having the AV cable (albeit mono) would be very cool, as would it for an SMS. I just want to make sure it's not a lemon or a waste of my time.
Herr Schatten

Re: SMS hardware & compatibility questions

Post by Herr Schatten »

FRO wrote:1. Is there any region lockout on games or major differences in cartridge casing? I ask because eBay has a TON of games listed from Europe, but as a US gamer I want to make sure these carts will play on a US SMS or Genesis w/ Power Base Converter w/o some expensive converter cart.

2. Has anyone here purchased or tried the AV cable for Genesis/SMS? I have a Model 1 Genesis & having the AV cable (albeit mono) would be very cool, as would it for an SMS. I just want to make sure it's not a lemon or a waste of my time.
1. There's no region lockout on any games. Less than a handfull have compatibility issues and none of those are worthwhile titles anyway. You cannot play Mark III games due to the different shape of the cartridges, but European SMS games will play happily on a US system. And vice versa.

2. The AV cable of the Genesis model one works fine with any SMS. In fact, it's exactly the same cable. The AV cable of the Genesis 2 won't work, though.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Yeah, I knew it was the same cable since all the retailers I've seen online who sell it mention that. What I'm wondering is the quality of the signal - is it worth the extra 5 bucks or so to get one due to the quality or is the difference negligible enough to forgo the expense? The reason I ask is that I'd like to invest in a couple expensive switchboxes for systems & components I have lined into my TV, & if the increase in quality is enough to make it worth my while it will be helpful to know that. Thanks!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

FRO wrote:Yeah, I knew it was the same cable since all the retailers I've seen online who sell it mention that. What I'm wondering is the quality of the signal - is it worth the extra 5 bucks or so to get one due to the quality or is the difference negligible enough to forgo the expense? The reason I ask is that I'd like to invest in a couple expensive switchboxes for systems & components I have lined into my TV, & if the increase in quality is enough to make it worth my while it will be helpful to know that. Thanks!
The increase in picture quality is amazing. You should definitely go for it.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Cool, thanks!