Cartridge slot widening/cutting - Best method?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
IronGiant

Re: Cartridge slot widening/cutting - Best method?

Post by IronGiant »

BuffaloWing wrote: Personally, I won't doing the logo. Typically, print services frown upon people using trademark/logo from corporations unless it's your own.

Good point. In that case if people require such a sticker it will have to be sourced via some others means.
Controller: I was using wireless as reference. I guess my roundabout way of giving the estimate is creating more confusion than help.
Just quote US Dollars and we're all clear. :D

So the flap - you said that one is planned but presumably that will be sold as a separate item for something like 10 or 15 US Dollars?

Well done on all of your work so far, it's very impressive (and I'm not easily impressed. :) )
Formerly known here as R-Typer

Arcade game board repairer (known as 'Irongiant' and 'Vectorglow' on other arcade forums)
BuffaloWing

Post by BuffaloWing »

The flap will likely get printed together with the panel/trim with a sprue connection as a cost saving measure. As what Gunpaz wrote earlier in the thread, print services typically charge customers on material used, space the part(s) occupy and material handling. Theoretically if you can pack all your parts efficiently without wasting space, material and creating extra handling work (cleaning) for them, they will give you a better price. Part of the reason why the full panel costing the amount it does is partially because the ejection button region has the rectangular wall protruding out. All the surrounding area are considered as wasted area to the print service and they make you pay for it. Print services are basically in the business to sell capacity. They are trying to pack as many parts into the machine they can.
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

I see, thanks for the explanation. :)

Arcade game board repairer (known as 'Irongiant' and 'Vectorglow' on other arcade forums)
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

For the logo, maybe a variant of the trim with a slightly recessed circle with nothing in it, so that people could source their own logo if they really want it, and a non-recessed version if people don't care.
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

That's a nice idea.

Bancho

Post by Bancho »

This is what i did. Bought 5 US Cart flaps and just measured up and cut away the plastic that needed cutting. You have to cut the shell as well as the top plate.

IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

Good point about having to cut the main shell too (I had forgotten about that) but not a major problem as it won't be on display (and a new panel and flap will cover up the edge mods to the internal cartridge holder).

BuffaloWing

Post by BuffaloWing »

Bancho wrote:This is what i did. Bought 5 US Cart flaps and just measured up and cut away the plastic that needed cutting. You have to cut the shell as well as the top plate.
Very nicely done. Just curious, why 5 cart flaps? Typo?
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Maybe he meant $5 cart flaps? lol
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Or maybe they just came as a pack? Such spare parts often do.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Where did you get these 5/$5 cart flaps?
I didn't disclose the exact cost because the price varies depending on the option chosen and the original question was really about the final product which is yet to be developed. It may actually cost less or more but it shouldn't deviate too much. Also that does not include the flap. I didn't want to ignore the question so the best I could to do to give an approximation in a way that most game players will understand.
Yeah don't mind me I have a bit of a dry/sarcastic sense of humour at times, wasn't meant as a personal attack or anything of that nature. I think what you're doing here is pretty awesome.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
BuffaloWing

Post by BuffaloWing »

BuckoA51 wrote:Yeah don't mind me I have a bit of a dry/sarcastic sense of humour at times, wasn't meant as a personal attack or anything of that nature. I think what you're doing here is pretty awesome.
No worries, I'm not offended. I just want to address everyone's questions as much as I can. I know everyone want to know how much something like this will cost. I want to know myself too. That's why I start working on the CAD model so I could uploading a model to get ballpark estimates.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You know, my previous long-term plan to "upgrade" my SNES was to get a new SNES mini (since they all have good RGB after modding) and RGB mod that, to avoid modifying my childhood console...

Now that I think about it, the SNES mini is ugly, and the Super Famicom is not... Maybe I should try to get a 1CHIP SFC and widen the slot...
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

There may be a RGB quality upgrade for the multi-chip at some point, I remember seeing something at the start of the year, no idea when it will be widely available though.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Sorry for the bump, just wondered if there was any progress with this, BuffaloWing?
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Guspaz wrote:You know, my previous long-term plan to "upgrade" my SNES was to get a new SNES mini (since they all have good RGB after modding) and RGB mod that, to avoid modifying my childhood console...

Now that I think about it, the SNES mini is ugly, and the Super Famicom is not... Maybe I should try to get a 1CHIP SFC and widen the slot...

Why not just get a 1CHIP model 1 SNES?
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

BuckoA51 wrote:Sorry for the bump, just wondered if there was any progress with this, BuffaloWing?
I was wondering what had happened to this thread too actually.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

darcagn wrote:
Guspaz wrote:You know, my previous long-term plan to "upgrade" my SNES was to get a new SNES mini (since they all have good RGB after modding) and RGB mod that, to avoid modifying my childhood console...

If you're just sticking to north america stuff, the SNES Mini is a little cheaper/easier to obtain, and takes up less space (since the existing childhood console serves the nostalgia value for form factor). But the SNES Mini is ugly, and the SFC looks very nice...
Gered

Post by Gered »

Just gonna also add my support for BuffaloWing's efforts for a replacement cover or whatever. Very much looking forward to it! I have a 1CHIP SFC that I originally was going to look at widening the slot myself, but have kept putting it off as I was worried I'd mess it up and end up uglifying it.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Guspaz wrote:
darcagn wrote:

If you're just sticking to north america stuff, the SNES Mini is a little cheaper/easier to obtain, and takes up less space (since the existing childhood console serves the nostalgia value for form factor). But the SNES Mini is ugly, and the SFC looks very nice...
Yes, the SNES Mini is cheaper/easier to obtain than the 1CHIP SNES model 1, so you rule out the 1CHIP SNES model 1... then start considering the 1CHIP SFC, which won't be as easy or cheap to obtain as the SNES Mini, and will need to be modded? I don't follow your line of reasoning here... :lol:

I personally got my 1CHIP-03 model 1 SNES on eBay for like $75 a couple years ago. Advertised as a 1CHIP-03 so the seller knew what he had. I doubt you're going to find a 1CHIP SFC for cheaper than that. So why not just get a 1CHIP SNES?

Just start messaging SNES sellers on eBay asking for the console serial number until you find one in the 1CHIP range.
BuffaloWing

Post by BuffaloWing »

Still working on it. Lost some momentum due to life's various distractions. :oops:

Spent some time adjusting the base model to ensure the panel fits. If none of the cutouts line up properly it would be silly to continue...
Thinking out loud, how about laser cut Plexiglas? Put the cut plastic in a toaster oven for few minutes and when it starts to soften, quickly drape it over the console housing to let it conform to the curvature...

Back on topic. I've already plan out a suitable cutout for the cartridge slot. Turns out both American SNES models (original and the mini) have slightly different opening size. I had to decide whether to go with the American straight rectangular cutout versus the curvier and chamfer (beveled) Japanese style cutout. I ended up going with a hybrid route, which means the opening will slightly be wider due to radii at the corners potentially interfering with the cartridge. There are quite a few esoteric design decisions like this, so this project may drag on for a while.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

darcagn wrote:Yes, the SNES Mini is cheaper/easier to obtain than the 1CHIP SNES model 1, so you rule out the 1CHIP SNES model 1... then start considering the 1CHIP SFC, which won't be as easy or cheap to obtain as the SNES Mini, and will need to be modded? I don't follow your line of reasoning here... :lol:

I personally got my 1CHIP-03 model 1 SNES on eBay for like $75 a couple years ago. Advertised as a 1CHIP-03 so the seller knew what he had. I doubt you're going to find a 1CHIP SFC for cheaper than that. So why not just get a 1CHIP SNES?

Just start messaging SNES sellers on eBay asking for the console serial number until you find one in the 1CHIP range.
I already have a full-sized SNES. If I was going to buy another console, there's not a pressing need to get another one that is visually identical. I already have a full-sized SNES to satisfy the nostalgia, and it's my childhood unit. So if I had to get another one, things like size or aesthetics would take on a greater importance, at which point, the SFC is a very good looking console.
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

Just a small bump to keep this thread alive and enquire with BuffaloWing to see if there has been any more progress. :)

LDigital

Post by LDigital »

If someone would do this as a service I think they could make lots of money. I have a dremel but am terrified to do this sort of mod myself
BuffaloWing

Post by BuffaloWing »

Finished designing the new cartridge flap few days ago.

The new flap is considerably wider and it would be a pain to make cuts on the existing top housing to accommodate it.

I'm leaning toward recreating a new lower tray to simplify the cut. It's an added cost that I wanted to avoid, but having to make awkward cuts on the sides of the existing tray seem more trouble than it's worth. Still trying to figure a good cutting boundary to implement this. If done right, this will allow me to undo the mod if necessary without causing too much damage and ruin the aesthetic of the console.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Wow that looks phenomenal. if this can be produced in good quantities we might see an end to mutilated super fami slots and US cart adapters.

Is there any option for getting the Super Famicom logo on the board afterwards?
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

Superb work BuffaloWing. :D

A new lower tray (I assume that you mean the upper shell which your existing replacement part clips into) would be the best solution but, as you say, would of course add to the cost. Some people would of course be prepared to pay so I feel that it's good to have it as an option for those that want it. At least the shell can be restored to original condition easily enough if required.

IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

@BuffaloWing - any more updates on this please? :D

BuffaloWing

Post by BuffaloWing »

IronGiant wrote:@BuffaloWing - any more updates on this please? :D
No new progress were made because I haven't made up my mind on how to cut the two sides (upper shell/tray). I'm not a fan of making holes/cuts on on vintage consoles, so I'm trying to plan this out as carefully as I can while not making it overly complicated. I will admit I have encountered a combination of writer's (designer) block and hindrance from analysis paralysis that I need a break from this. I hope to resume work in the near future once I clear my mind.
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

Thanks very much for the update - don't sweat it, take a break and take your time. :)