Sony BVM a20f1m (scart to vga?)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kerrigor

Sony BVM a20f1m (scart to vga?)

Post by Kerrigor »

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a Sony BVM a20f1m. It didn't come with the BKM-68x rgb card, which is fine, I understood that when I bought it.

What I was hoping was, that I could just buy this cable https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... eo-outputs and plug my male scart, into the female here, and plug that into the VGA port on the monitor ... However, I have no actual experience in knowing whether this will work or not.

I don't suppose any of you have any information at all, or would be able to help me understand if this will work, or any other hardware I would need to purchase for this to work? (:

Thanks for the help in advance!

LP
Fudoh

Re: Sony BVM a20f1m (scart to vga?)

Post by Fudoh »

Your monitor does not have a VGA input, in fact it has no analogue input at all.
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

Fudoh wrote:Your monitor does not have a VGA input, in fact it has no analogue input at all.
https://www.trust.tv/upload/save_image/ ... 5145_b.jpg But in this image it shows 2 vga ports, from what I gather at least?
nissling

Post by nissling »

No, it's a serial cable for the controller board. Nice CRT though.

EDIT: It does support 480/60i and all the way up to 1080i/24PsF but I'm not overly familiar with this specific model. I'll try to look up what you need.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

He needs an analogue input board, which is - unfortunately - quite rare and expensive.
nissling

Post by nissling »

Well yeah, seems like BKM-68X would work. Not sure if the BKM-24N is compatible though which is probably easier to find. That would at least make YPbPr possible.
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

Fudoh wrote:He needs an analogue input board, which is - unfortunately - quite rare and expensive.
Ahh yes, that would be the BKM-68x I guess? I haven't managed to source one of those at all, looks doubtful I will :/ a BKM-20d is far more available, I have no idea if that would work with this monitor though ... it looks like it should but that's wishful thinking I guess ...
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

nissling wrote:Well yeah, seems like BKM-68X would work. Not sure if the BKM-24N is compatible though which is probably easier to find. That would at least make YPbPr possible.
I guess I might have shot myself in the foot a little when I bought this without the 68x ... oops! I've got a pretty expensive paperweight on the way then! :D
nissling

Post by nissling »

Where do you live? I've got a spare BKM-20D. Don't think I'd like to sell it but if you're close to Stockholm I could at least let you borrow it.
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

nissling wrote:Where do you live? I've got a spare BKM-20D. Don't think I'd like to sell it but if you're close to Stockholm I could at least let you borrow it.
Thanks for the thought man, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I live in England, so across the North Sea from you! I certainly appreciate the thought though bud!
nissling

Post by nissling »

I was wrong, I've got a BKM-24N. :P

But as long as they fit physically, I'd recommend you to look around if you can find anyone close by with a more common BVM to try a analogue input/decoder board. It's probably worth the shot since the monitor itself is very fine, especially such a late model.
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

Right, might end up trying my luck with a "BKM-20D" card, it'll cost me around £40 to have it shipped from the US to the UK. So I can afford that okay, even if it doesn't work, it hasn't left me with a hole in my pocket .... think that's my only option at this point! :D
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

If you have an SDI input you might be able to find something that can convert to SDI. Unfortunately, most cheap SDI converters don't do 480i, so you might need to get something to upscale to 720p so that you can use a standard and cheap HD-SDI converter. Those are $85.

Or if you can find a 480i SDI converter... Maybe eBay?
andy251203

Post by andy251203 »

BKM-20D won't work on the A series. Your only choice is the 68X. Good luck finding one. Either that or use an HDMI to HD-SDI converter and use it as a hi-def monitor.
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

andy251203 wrote:BKM-20D won't work on the A series. Your only choice is the 68X. Good luck finding one. Either that or use an HDMI to HD-SDI converter and use it as a hi-def monitor.
Yeah, it was a bit of a pipe dream, thankfully I've just managed to locate one, just working out import taxes etc, before I okay it all! Thank christ though ... I was beginning to think I'd shot myself in the foot :D
niall

Post by niall »

nissling wrote:Where do you live? I've got a spare ...

I was wrong, I've got a BKM-24N. :P
Hey if it's spare I'll gladly lighten your burden :D
poizonous

Post by poizonous »

I would be interested to know where you managed to locate a 68x. I have been hunting for one quite a while.
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

poizonous wrote:I would be interested to know where you managed to locate a 68x. I have been hunting for one quite a while.
The company I bought my BVM from happened to have one kicking about in their other unit, I'm afraid it was their last one! :/ If I see one come up though, I'll drop you a pm! :D (I haven't received it yet, can't wait though)
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

Here is my A20f1m! :D only 3480 CRT turn on time! and 6288 operation time, it wasn't cheap, but it's in near perfect condition, came with 4:3 bezel and the 16:9 and the BKM-15r. Just waiting on my BKM-68x to arrive (around a month or 2 as I'm waiting on another payday to complete the invoice) So very excited!
poizonous

Post by poizonous »

Both bezels too!?!? I am extremely jealous. That is a beauty.
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

poizonous wrote:Both bezels too!?!? I am extremely jealous. That is a beauty.
Yeah man! I thought it only came with the 16:9, but when I picked it up, they threw a couple of rack mounting bits (from when they attached the bkm-15r) and the 4:3 bezel too! They've owned the thing since it was brand new! :D

Only bad news is, they've backed out on selling me the 68x - want to keep it for their other monitor ¬¬ .... so ... that's left me in the shit! :')
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

Just incase anyone finds this thread again, never ended up bothering with 68x, found a small German AV company that had the 61d in old stock storage, so just rocking S-Video, which is plenty good enough for me!
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Guspaz wrote:If you have an SDI input you might be able to find something that can convert to SDI. Unfortunately, most cheap SDI converters don't do 480i, so you might need to get something to upscale to 720p so that you can use a standard and cheap HD-SDI converter. Those are $85.

Or if you can find a 480i SDI converter... Maybe eBay?
Some DVDO iScan units (Vp30 and 50 are one of them) can convert analogue inputs to SDI afaik, so it could be a cheaper and more viable alternative.
PeterWar

Post by PeterWar »

Hello there.

I have the same monitor with a BKM-68x but unfortunatelly all Sega consoles have sync issues with the BKM-68x. There are also sync issues when conecting them to the monitor thought composite. I was wandering if they could work with S-Video. What kind of consoles have you tested?

Thanks in advance!
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

PeterWar wrote:Hello there.

I have the same monitor with a BKM-68x but unfortunatelly all Sega consoles have sync issues with the BKM-68x. There are also sync issues when conecting them to the monitor thought composite. I was wandering if they could work with S-Video. What kind of consoles have you tested?

Thanks in advance!
Hey bud, so the C64 native S-Video works like a charm, as does the sega dreamcast, I've not gotten round to modding my megadrive or mastersystem, so I've not had a chance to test them yet!
PeterWar

Post by PeterWar »

Thanks for your reply kerrigor. I bought this adapter from china, hopefuly it will enable me to use S-video without any additional modding on my MegaDrive. I'll need to wait 20 days for delivery though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GfcmhfbJxg
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

PeterWar wrote:Thanks for your reply kerrigor. I bought this adapter from china, hopefuly it will enable me to use S-video without any additional modding on my MegaDrive. I'll need to wait 20 days for delivery though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GfcmhfbJxg
Oh nice! I've seen this video, but forgot about it! If you could let me know if it works or not that would be most helpful! As it would save me messing about when I don't need to!
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Yesterday someone posted on the crt collective on FB about reverse-engineering one of the Sony BVM input cards. He's made the firmware available, but it will need testing.

Can't remember exactly which card, but i think it was one of the analog input ones for the A series. I'll see if i can dig up the post when i get home.
Kerrigor

Post by Kerrigor »

buttersoft wrote:Yesterday someone posted on the crt collective on FB about reverse-engineering one of the Sony BVM input cards. He's made the firmware available, but it will need testing.

Can't remember exactly which card, but i think it was one of the analog input ones for the A series. I'll see if i can dig up the post when i get home.
Huh, that's quite interesting! If you do find it I'd be interested in giving that a read!
PeterWar

Post by PeterWar »