PascalP

Re: NESRGB New Firmware Palette Updates:

Post by PascalP »

Thanks again!
Will load them this weekend ;)
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Even if 4 of the colors are slightly off it's still 100% better then Tim's default palettes.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
Uzumaki

Post by Uzumaki »

Thanks man! If anyone wants a NESRGB JTAG adapter board made by HD Retrovision through OSHpark, I have 2 I can provide. Just pay shipping.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Uzumaki wrote:Thanks man! If anyone wants a NESRGB JTAG adapter board made by HD Retrovision through OSHpark, I have 2 I can provide. Just pay shipping.
I'll take one :mrgreen:
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
PascalP

Post by PascalP »

Uzumaki wrote:Thanks man! If anyone wants a NESRGB JTAG adapter board made by HD Retrovision through OSHpark, I have 2 I can provide. Just pay shipping.
I would like the 2nd one :)
FBX

Post by FBX »

austin532 wrote:Even if 4 of the colors are slightly off it's still 100% better then Tim's default palettes.
Tim isn't to blame for those. One is PC-10 (which I also offer in the firmware combinations), one is Nestopia YUV (which I'm told is superb for PAL format colors), and one is FCEUX palette if I recall. He was just offering what was available at the time.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Hey FBX, did you have any involvement with the newly announced Disney Afternoon Collection? The palette they choose looks very close to your Direct Capture.

bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Your links are broken, but Frank Cifaldi of Digital Eclipse (AKA the company doing the Disney Afternoon Collection for Capcom) uses one of FBX's palettes on his NESRGB and has talked positively about his work in the past (with a few caveats).

They also may have captured it themselves, I believe Frank wanted colorimeters involved.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

This looks like great work!

Just looking for a little advice... For someone who doesn't own a CRT TV and has no plans to get one, which of Tim's 10 palette options do you think would give the best range of palette choices? Option 2? Option 5?
FBX

Post by FBX »

Sargon wrote:This looks like great work!

Just looking for a little advice... For someone who doesn't own a CRT TV and has no plans to get one, which of Tim's 10 palette options do you think would give the best range of palette choices? Option 2? Option 5?
Thanks!

You'd want a combination that has Composite Direct for the option of using a Framemeister-

Edit: Forgot we're talking about NESRGB options. But yeah, you want at least Composite Direct for non-CRT NESRGB gaming. The other two can be whatever suits your fancy.
FBX

Post by FBX »

austin532 wrote:Hey FBX, did you have any involvement with the newly announced Disney Afternoon Collection? The palette they choose looks very close to your Direct Capture.

Edit: NVM closer inspection and it doesn't quite match.
Last edited by FBX on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Nice, your hard work is starting to pay off. People can now appreciate the time and effort you put into these palettes.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

FBX is there somewhere where we can view your palettes(the ones in the latest firmware) side by side on game screenshots?

I can't for the life of me access your website (apart from the frmemeister profile page)so I don't know if they're there. Are they?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FBX

Post by FBX »

FinalBaton wrote:FBX is there somewhere where we can view your palettes(the ones in the latest firmware) side by side on game screenshots?

I can't for the life of me access your website (apart from the frmemeister profile page)so I don't know if they're there. Are they?
Well this page at least shows the palettes themselves in addition to the individual files:

http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

Beyond that, I do intend to make a screen shot sub-page. However, keep in mind you'd be basing the comparisons on a digital display, and that defeats the point of the NTSC Hardware palette.
FBX

Post by FBX »

austin532 wrote:Nice, your hard work is starting to pay off. People can now appreciate the time and effort you put into these palettes.
Actually I looked at the wrong picture. I don't think he used my composite capture after all. It looks closer to RGBSource's version, which there's not much variance compared to mine, but enough to make me think he either went with his or ended up doing a 3rd direct capture of his own.

Edit: Found the original source image. Looks to be an independent direct capture, which falls in line with mine and RGBSources. Granted, the original image is also jpeg with compression, so we won't know for sure on the color entries until the game is released in April.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

The new palettes look great! I especially like the look of the PVM Style D93 palette :D

Thanks for all your hard FBX - I really appreciate all the time and effort that you put into making these, and your dedication to making them as accurate as possible.

I remember you saying that the original PVM Style palette took you around 30 hours to complete, so i'm curious to know how long it took to fine tune the PVM Style D93 palette?
FBX

Post by FBX »

Link83 wrote:The new palettes look great! I especially like the look of the PVM Style D93 palette :D

Thanks for all your hard FBX - I really appreciate all the time and effort that you put into making these, and your dedication to making them as accurate as possible.

I remember you saying that the original PVM Style palette took you around 30 hours to complete, so i'm curious to know how long it took to fine tune the PVM Style D93 palette?
A couple days of retesting. The difference in color temp only notably affected about 1/3 of the colors, while the middle bulk of colors were still very similar to D65
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

FBX wrote:Well this page at least shows the palettes themselves in addition to the individual files:

That's the web page I was looking for! Couldn't remember the adress(what came after the".com/" I mean). You should put that adress in your sig also :wink:

Yeah I know it won't give a perfect visualisation but it at least allows me to compare. Thanks in advance for the screenshots
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FBX

Post by FBX »

FinalBaton wrote:
FBX wrote:Well this page at least shows the palettes themselves in addition to the individual files:

That's the web page I was looking for! Couldn't remember the adress(what came after the".com/" I mean). You should put that adress in your sig also :wink:

Yeah I know it won't give a perfect visualisation but it at least allows me to compare. Thanks in advance for the screenshots
Sure thing. BTW the main home page on my web site also links to it, so there's also that.
PascalP

Post by PascalP »

Just loaded the new firmware (option 5), and the new NTSC Hardware palette is absolutely stunning on my Pioneer Plasma display!

Love it :D
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Link83 wrote:The new palettes look great! I especially like the look of the PVM Style D93 palette :D
What display are you using? An LCD TV?
PascalP wrote:Just loaded the new firmware (option 5), and the new NTSC Hardware palette is absolutely stunning on my Pioneer Plasma display!
Same here.

I'm wondering if across the board, one looks better on plasma and the other on LCD. This is all subjective preference of course and there's no "right" one to use...whatever looks better to your eyes wins :)
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

Bob, somewhat unrelated but I've always felt that plasmas were more similar to crts, with the glass and overall look to the picture... I think any retro gamer with an upscaler should pick one up on Craigslist immediately. Literally unrelated to anything you said but just wanted to give an observation.
retrorgb wrote:
What display are you using? An LCD TV?
PascalP wrote:Just loaded the new firmware (option 5), and the new NTSC Hardware palette is absolutely stunning on my Pioneer Plasma display!
Same here.

I'm wondering if across the board, one looks better on plasma and the other on LCD. This is all subjective preference of course and there's no "right" one to use...whatever looks better to your eyes wins :)
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

Also just flashed #5 and it's looking good. At a quick glance, NTSC Hardware seemed the best on my KV-25XBR. I will play some more this evening and check out some different games. I'd still love a hue-shifted palette someday though ;)
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

I vote palettes for other consoles that need accurate RGB palettes first... the ataris are in need...
nakedarthur wrote:Also just flashed #5 and it's looking good. At a quick glance, NTSC Hardware seemed the best on my KV-25XBR. I will play some more this evening and check out some different games. I'd still love a hue-shifted palette someday though ;)
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

I am only proposing applying a blanket hue-shift to one of the pre-existing palettes. It's more or less a novelty, but for some like me that grew up with these (incorrect) colors it would be pretty cool to have. I can create the palette file easy enough, but getting a NESRGB firmware is another thing..

Here are some examples with latest palettes:

COMPOSITE DIRECT / NTSC HARDWARE / NTSC HARDWARE /W -6 HUE +20 SAT
Last edited by nakedarthur on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FBX

Post by FBX »

For a while, the hue shift was a hit with the fans, but the moment it was discovered that the hue shift was inaccurate to direct-capture and PVMs, everyone suddenly wanted no part of it. That's way I stopped using the shift. People got fickle about it.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

nakedarthur wrote:KV-25XBR
nice set!
you got it hooked via it's RGB port?

Would love to see some pics of it in the "Fudoh's ode to old display tech" thread if you don't mind
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

FinalBaton wrote:
nakedarthur wrote:KV-25XBR
nice set!
you got it hooked via it's RGB port?

Would love to see some pics of it in the "Fudoh's ode to old display tech" thread if you don't mind
Thanks! Yep, I made a 34-pin RGB cable for it. Good thinking, let me get some new pics together and I'll post over there. You can see some pics from right after I picked it up and made the hackiest adapter of my life here, but I've since had it professionally calibrated (mouse-over for before/after) and made a new cable and it's looking 10x better. Not bad for a 30 year old set!
FBX wrote:For a while, the hue shift was a hit with the fans, but the moment it was discovered that the hue shift was inaccurate to direct-capture and PVMs, everyone suddenly wanted no part of it. That's way I stopped using the shift. People got fickle about it.
I understand, I think the community's highest priority has been an accurate palette after years of guesswork. Hopefully we're to the point now where people don't mind some experimenting. I don't think any of us grew up with RGB monitors, so a little sweetening wouldn't hurt for an alternative palette.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Nice, can't wait to see your post-calibration pics!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

Would anyone located in the US be willing to flash the updated palettes for me?