NESRGB New Firmware Palette Updates:

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
viletim

Re: NESRGB New Firmware Palette Updates:

Post by viletim »

Link83 wrote:Sorry to bump this thread, but I was just curious if any of these recent discoveries about the emphasis bits have been incorporated into any NESRGB palettes? and has the NES Dev Wiki palette section been updated?
The NESRGB implements the emphasis feature with an attenuator on each video DAC which reduces the output by about half.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Can anyone recommend a modder, who can do this? I have tried all of VileTim's recommended modders, with no replies. I have also tried a couple of well known modders, in the US, and have had no luck. One hadn't done it, and one stopped responding.
I also need a switch fixed/replaced, so any help would be very appreciated.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Is this more of a DIY-MF, kind of mod? :lol:
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Changing the palettes is quite easy if you follow FBX's instructions. Just make sure the pins are touching the contacts on the board when you flash it. They tend to be loose for me.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

Is there any way to incorporate the Magnum palette from FBX into the firmware?
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

OK it seems like I'm the only one interested in this :mrgreen: I tried to ask FBX on twitter but he did not respond. I'll stay with smooth for now then.
hawaplop

Post by hawaplop »

Does anyone know where to find the palette firmware for version 3.0?
hawaplop

Post by hawaplop »

I have flashed the NESRGB v1.4 and 2.0 many, many times, as well as the N64 board, never having an issue. However, I am getting an error every time I flash the new 3.0 firmware (smooth palette) with the 3.0 board. Is anyone else having an issue with this?
viletim

Post by viletim »

hawaplop wrote:I have flashed the NESRGB v1.4 and 2.0 many, many times, as well as the N64 board, never having an issue. However, I am getting an error every time I flash the new 3.0 firmware (smooth palette) with the 3.0 board. Is anyone else having an issue with this?
NESRGB 3 uses the almost the same PGA as N64RGB 2, the only difference is the VCC core voltage is 1.8V on NESRGB 3 and 3.3V on N64.
hawaplop

Post by hawaplop »

viletim wrote:
hawaplop wrote:I have flashed the NESRGB v1.4 and 2.0 many, many times, as well as the N64 board, never having an issue. However, I am getting an error every time I flash the new 3.0 firmware (smooth palette) with the 3.0 board. Is anyone else having an issue with this?
NESRGB 3 uses the almost the same PGA as N64RGB 2, the only difference is the VCC core voltage is 1.8V on NESRGB 3 and 3.3V on N64.
Have you flashed the board with a different palette? It’s definitely not working when setup the exact same way as the previous revisions.
viletim

Post by viletim »

hawaplop wrote:Have you flashed the board with a different palette? It’s definitely not working when setup the exact same way as the previous revisions.
I can of course program the NESRGB boards with my high speed programmer. I tried my old USB Blaster clone (which is about 15 years old now) and it was able to program the version 3 boards correctly. Next I tried a couple of recently bought (maybe two years ago) USB Blaster clones. Neither of them worked at 1.8V, despite being advertised to.

The USB Blaster that doesn't work looks like this inside, based on a PIC microcontroller. My old programmer has a Silicon Labs micro inside.

hawaplop

Post by hawaplop »

viletim wrote:
hawaplop wrote:Have you flashed the board with a different palette? It’s definitely not working when setup the exact same way as the previous revisions.
I can of course program the NESRGB boards with my high speed programmer. I tried my old USB Blaster clone (which is about 15 years old now) and it was able to program the version 3 boards correctly. Next I tried a couple of recently bought (maybe two years ago) USB Blaster clones. Neither of them worked at 1.8V, despite being advertised to.

The USB Blaster that doesn't work looks like this inside, based on a PIC microcontroller. My old programmer has a Silicon Labs micro inside.

Thank you for the update, Tim. I purchased my Altera blaster about five years ago. I just bought another one a few days ago and am hoping it’ll work. If it doesn’t work, any ideas for a way to know which place sells one that is compatible? I love the digital prime palette, personally, but I would like to not take the option of the new palettes away from anyone who requests them. However, if there is nothing that can be done, it is what it is and I am very appreciative that you managed to make a V3.0 during the chip shortage. I’ll open my blaster up soon to confirm. Thanks again!
Last edited by hawaplop on Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hawaplop

Post by hawaplop »

viletim wrote:

Also, were you getting a failed attempt when using the two year old one? Or did it present itself as a full success but just didn’t end up actually flashing anything? My experience was the latter.
amd20x6

Post by amd20x6 »

Are there any plans to build firmwares with FBX's latest palettes for V1.x boards? I'm particularly interested in Magnum and Smooth V2.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

amd20x6 wrote:Are there any plans to build firmwares with FBX's latest palettes for V1.x boards? I'm particularly interested in Magnum and Smooth V2.
+1

Would love one with PlayChoice-10 / Magnum / anything else (maybe NES Classic, or Smooth V2 I guess)
jamisonia

Post by jamisonia »

I asked Firebrand about this on Twitter and he directed me to ask Tim directly. I emailed Tim but haven't heard back.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

jamisonia wrote:I asked Firebrand about this on Twitter and he directed me to ask Tim directly. I emailed Tim but haven't heard back.
I e-mailed Tim about 6 months ago as I was about to buy one of his N64 RGB boards through the official site. Never got a response. LOL! I'm sure he's busy, so I don't blame him, but sure sucked not to hear back.
serge85

Post by serge85 »

Triple Lei wrote:
amd20x6 wrote:Are there any plans to build firmwares with FBX's latest palettes for V1.x boards? I'm particularly interested in Magnum and Smooth V2.
+1

Would love one with PlayChoice-10 / Magnum / anything else (maybe NES Classic, or Smooth V2 I guess)
+2

I just tried Digital Prime (FBX) on Mister FPGA, and I liked it!, Would love to flash my NesRGB V1.x :(
serge85

Post by serge85 »

Bump.

I guess the only way to use FBX latest palettes is to buy a new NESRGB huh. :x