TV RGB mod thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
matt

Re: TV RGB mod thread

Post by matt »

Never modded a 9" Sony, but I've done the mod on a 13" one with that jungle chip.

It's really easy - definitely the best TV for RGB I've ever used. Just free up the pins from ground, and attach your RGB through a 0.1uF capacitor and 75 ohm termination. +5v though a 1k resistor works well for blanking.

There should be a separate sub-brightness setting for RGB in the service menu; you can set it so that composite and RGB are at the saem level.
realm

Post by realm »

matt wrote:Never modded a 9" Sony, but I've done the mod on a 13" one with that jungle chip.

It's really easy - definitely the best TV for RGB I've ever used. Just free up the pins from ground, and attach your RGB through a 0.1uF capacitor and 75 ohm termination. +5v though a 1k resistor works well for blanking.

There should be a separate sub-brightness setting for RGB in the service menu; you can set it so that composite and RGB are at the saem level.
Which pin did you use for blanking? Pin 9 is blanking for the digital RGB OSD it looks like pin 15 YS is used for blanking?
Axelay_2021

Post by Axelay_2021 »

I have a Panasonic CT-20G7DF and after opening it up and looking around, it looks like it uses a Mitsubishi M65580MAP (https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet ... 80MAP.html) for it's OSD. The schematics of the Panasonic has the OSD RGB signals routing back into the chip they are generated from, so my guess is that it's a single chip system and that it cannot be modified. A search for this unit/mod returns zero info, so I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with this CRT or if anyone has an idea on whether it's even possible to inject RGB (maybe directly into the neck?). I'm not seeing another chip on the board for video signal. Am I SOL? :(
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Axelay_2021 wrote:I have a Panasonic CT-20G7DF and after opening it up and looking around, it looks like it uses a Mitsubishi M65580MAP (https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet ... 80MAP.html) for it's OSD. The schematics of the Panasonic has the OSD RGB signals routing back into the chip they are generated from, so my guess is that it's a single chip system and that it cannot be modified. A search for this unit/mod returns zero info, so I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with this CRT or if anyone has an idea on whether it's even possible to inject RGB (maybe directly into the neck?). I'm not seeing another chip on the board for video signal. Am I SOL? :(
Data sheet indicates that the RGB input is digital only. Appears to be designed to only take the digital OSD output from its built in micro controller.

In other words your analysis is correct.

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
Axelay_2021

Post by Axelay_2021 »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
Axelay_2021 wrote:I have a Panasonic CT-20G7DF and after opening it up and looking around, it looks like it uses a Mitsubishi M65580MAP (https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet ... 80MAP.html) for it's OSD. The schematics of the Panasonic has the OSD RGB signals routing back into the chip they are generated from, so my guess is that it's a single chip system and that it cannot be modified. A search for this unit/mod returns zero info, so I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with this CRT or if anyone has an idea on whether it's even possible to inject RGB (maybe directly into the neck?). I'm not seeing another chip on the board for video signal. Am I SOL? :(
Data sheet indicates that the RGB input is digital only. Appears to be designed to only take the digital OSD output from its built in micro controller.

HUGE bummer! Well, since I'm striking out here...

I do have a JVC AV-27D305 D-Series which I'm also looking to modify. It looks like it utilizes a Toshiba TM8812CSDNG5DB9 for it's main processing, but there's almost zero info out there regarding a pinout. However, looking at the 27D305's schematics I'm seeing RGB out via pins 39, 40, and 41. The problem here though is that they seem to go straight into the neck after passing through a few resistors. I do see a Cr IN, Y IN, and Cb IN pins on the TM8812CSDNG5DB9.

I have another hunch that I'm SOL a second time here, but I've been known to be wrong. Long shot - does anyone have enough experience with the JVC AV-27D305 to help a n00b out?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

The TMPA88XX chips cannot be RGB modded. They do accept SVideo and component however.

If the TV doesn’t already have them it can be modified to accept them.

Axelay_2021

Post by Axelay_2021 »

Maybe I shouldn't play the lottery after all! :lol:

So at this point, an HDMI to Component converter would more or less be *close enough* to an RGB mod on a D-series? As long as there's no scaling of any sort on the converter, the timing should be unaltered, correct? Currently running all consoles via RGB->GSCART->OSSC->HDMI 4-way splitter (one to LCD, one to HDMI -> VGA adapter, and maybe now an HDMI to component cable?).

Also, thank you all for the assistance so far. You've been a huge help. Seriously.
matt

Post by matt »

Axelay_2021 wrote:Maybe I shouldn't play the lottery after all! :lol:

So at this point, an HDMI to Component converter would more or less be *close enough* to an RGB mod on a D-series? As long as there's no scaling of any sort on the converter, the timing should be unaltered, correct? Currently running all consoles via RGB->GSCART->OSSC->HDMI 4-way splitter (one to LCD, one to HDMI -> VGA adapter, and maybe now an HDMI to component cable?).

Also, thank you all for the assistance so far. You've been a huge help. Seriously.
Yes, JVC TVs have excellent quality component input. IMO it's just as good as RGB as long as the picture setting are adjusted properly, and modding would be a waste of time.

I use an RGB2Comp, which works perfectly and gives a flawless picture. I can't recommend it enough.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

It’s highly unlikely to be worthwhile to neck mod a set for RGB if you’ve already got component inputs.

Axelay_2021

Post by Axelay_2021 »

Yeah, I'm realizing that now. :lol: It was mostly to keep everything RGB with the fun of modding a CRT, but I'm thinking that RGB2COMP is the way to go in this case.

@matt - Thanks a million for the suggestion. People seem to love it, so I'm likely going to purchase one myself.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Modding a set for RGB is great fun but it’s really about liberating potential from a lesser spec set.

maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Axelay_2021 wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote:

HUGE bummer! Well, since I'm striking out here...

I do have a JVC AV-27D305 D-Series which I'm also looking to modify. It looks like it utilizes a Toshiba TM8812CSDNG5DB9 for it's main processing, but there's almost zero info out there regarding a pinout. However, looking at the 27D305's schematics I'm seeing RGB out via pins 39, 40, and 41. The problem here though is that they seem to go straight into the neck after passing through a few resistors. I do see a Cr IN, Y IN, and Cb IN pins on the TM8812CSDNG5DB9.

I have another hunch that I'm SOL a second time here, but I've been known to be wrong. Long shot - does anyone have enough experience with the JVC AV-27D305 to help a n00b out?
I documented a D-series OSD mux RGB mod in this very thread on page 102

ETA: yes the d-series have top notch YPbPr inputs, but most of my consoles use RGB and I hate transcoders with a burning passion
Daripa

Post by Daripa »

Anyone know what could be causing the horizontal lines on the one side of this set? Caps? They are just on the right hand side.
https://ibb.co/N39KSSr
matt

Post by matt »

Daripa wrote:Anyone know what could be causing the horizontal lines on the one side of this set? Caps? They are just on the right hand side.
Capacitors are usually at fault when you get brightness issues that only appear at one side of the screen. Usually it's the filter caps on the ~200v line that runs from the flyback to the neck board.

Your pic is hard to see. Try taking another one in a dark room. From what I can tell it does look like a cap problem though.
Daripa

Post by Daripa »

matt wrote:
Daripa wrote:Anyone know what could be causing the horizontal lines on the one side of this set? Caps? They are just on the right hand side.
Capacitors are usually at fault when you get brightness issues that only appear at one side of the screen. Usually it's the filter caps on the ~200v line that runs from the flyback to the neck board.

Your pic is hard to see. Try taking another one in a dark room. From what I can tell it does look like a cap problem though.
Yeah my phone does not take good photos. Thanks for the advice I'll replace the caps and see.
Daripa

Post by Daripa »

matt wrote:

Problem persists after recap. Could the blanking line be at fault? I pulled 5v close to a conductor. Its got a redish luminance on that side as well.
spikespiegel

Post by spikespiegel »

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to mod RGB via OSD a SONY KV-29FA210 and how?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

spikespiegel wrote:Can anybody tell me if it is possible to mod RGB via OSD a SONY KV-29FA210 and how?
Looks like it is a BA-5D chassis.

Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix

Daripa

Post by Daripa »

The TV seems to have fixed its self but now I have to set the contrast to 0 when using rgb. The settings reset after turning off the set but I can live with that.
ncaam

Post by ncaam »

Please help!

I am trying to do the RGB mod on Sony kd32xs945. But went into some serious sync problem. I tried used luma on s-video, composite and Y of component. But all results are the same - some rolling random pic. .
Basically, what I did is put a 4PDT switch and 75ohm and 0.1uf for each line of RGB, and some 5v from jungle ic board. Image
On IC2801 - CXA2170Q, I used pin 38(R), 37(G), 36(B) and 34(YSYM)

On the scart connector side, my setup is that:
pin 2 = right audio
pin 6 = left audio
pin 18 = ground from jungle ic board or input panel board. did not make any difference
pin 20 = tried on luma of s-video, composite, and Y of component - none of these worked
pin 15, 11, 7 = R, G, B

Is there anything I did wrong or missed? Any help is appreciated!
BTW, is there anyone nearby - bay area California could help me with that? Please PM!

Post by 002 »

Hi all,

Happy new year!
Just wondering if anyone might be able to give me some advice on RGB modding a Sharp CX51K3.
It uses a Philips TDA9381PS which is touted as an 'UOC' (ultimate one chip). Pins 46, 47, and 48 are marked as R2, G2, and B2 respectively. Based on info I found here, I believe the voltage at pin 45 is used to control whether or not something is inserted on pins 46, 47, 48.

Here are some excerpt pics from the Sharp CX51K3 service manual - am I correct to assume that these pins seem to be unused on my specific TV?:

Pic 1:
Spoiler
Pic 2:
Spoiler
Would I be able to make use of these pins to do the mod?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

I didn’t look all that closely at your analysis but I’d say you’re on the money.

The problem you’ll likely find is that the RGB inputs are disabled in the jungle chip software. I know of no way of enabling.

No harm in trying though.

Post by 002 »

@MarkOZLAD

Thanks for the reply, mate. Was hoping you and / or Syntax would chime in :)
This would be my first attempt at an RGB mod of a consumer TV set, so I'm hoping you can bear with me a little bit.

I did a bit more digging around and found the datasheet for the TDA9381 (and a bunch of other similar IC's) here.
On page 89 it mentions switching between YUV and RGB with a bit flag and the same deal with RGB blanking on page 95 which is listed as "Enable vertical guard".

TDA9381 datasheet - RGB / YUV toggle:
Spoiler
TDA9381 datasheet - Vertical guard:
Spoiler
I'm hoping that the YUV / RGB setting is already set appropriately to RGB. The bit flag for controlling RGB blanking is also mentioned in the Sharp CX51K3 service manual and it describes the process of accessing the EEPROM data but whether or not I can adjust those settings, I don't know (it's marked as 'FIX' versus other settings which are 'ADJ').

Sharp CX51K3 service manual - EEPROM info:
Spoiler
Assuming I can change these settings, should I toggle 'Enable vertical guard (RGB blanking)' to see if it does anything?
As far as the existing 1000P capacitors attached to these pins, should I replace them with 100nF as per yours + Syntax's mod circuit diagram?
Also do you have any pointers on what I should do for pin 45 (i.e. the blanking pin) in my case?
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

That chip looks a bit similar to a phillips crt I used to have that would not work with rgb but modding it for component worked fine.

Post by 002 »

Pikkon wrote:That chip looks a bit similar to a phillips crt I used to have that would not work with rgb but modding it for component worked fine.
Interesting! I wonder if it was a case of your EEPROM setting being enabled for YUV as opposed to RGB?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

002 wrote:
Pikkon wrote:That chip looks a bit similar to a phillips crt I used to have that would not work with rgb but modding it for component worked fine.
Interesting! I wonder if it was a case of your EEPROM setting being enabled for YUV as opposed to RGB?
I believe the IE2 setting will need to be enabled for the RGB inputs to be enabled (possibly YUV too)

jonjonmia

Post by jonjonmia »

Hello, I'm currently planning out my first RGB CRT mod and am getting quite confused. I've seen a lot of people do it different ways and my knowledge of analog electronics isn't strong enough to comprehend it on my own.

Anyway, I am planning to do a scart mod on a 32in Sharp 32L-S400 CRT. I've successfuly identified the OSD Microcontroller and the Jungle IC. I've attached a picture of a simplified schematic that I drew. I was wondering if someone could help confirm if I did it correctly. I based it off the "OSD Mux RGB MOD Circuit -v2." In the diagram I replaced the R805, R804, R803, and R802 with 75ohm resistors. I figured this would be the simplest way to ground the external RGB lines since the circuit is already there. Above those, I added resistors with the proper value resistors based on the inline restistor value spreadsheet. In the diagram you can see I drew red Xs. Those show that I disconnected the trace and rewired the OSD RGB and Blanking lines to skip over those resistors I just mentioned. So basically, I have no idea if this will work or maybe this will work but is still a stupid way to do it lol. So any feedback would be great!

Sharp 32L-S400 Service Manual
https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf4/80/79 ... 0b713f5797

My Diagram
https://i.imgur.com/mY2OTuP.jpg
me@danieldoyle.com

Post by me@danieldoyle.com »

Hi folks, MarkOZLAD had a little mini guide I followed to OSD Mux of an AA-2 chassis. I just tried it out and I'm having an issue that I'm guessing is purely sync but thought I would reach out first. Here is Mark's quote:
MarkOZLAD wrote: ...
This AA-2 chassis TV can also be OSD Mux modded easily. It's already been covered in the thread but here we go again.

This set has an unusual OSD RGB circuit because it converts RGBI to RGB through a series of transistors but that is ok, there is still a simple way to do it.

R1123, R1128 and R133 are the OSD termination resistors that we want to target for the OSD mux. So we remove them.

They are 390 ohm resistors. Instead of using the OSD/External RGB muxing calculator to work out our mux resistors we will just cheat and subtract 75 from 390 to get something close. 390 - 75 = 315. Next standard resistor size is 330 ohms.

So we want to inject our 75 ohm terminated RGB into 330 ohm resistors and then into circuit somewhere between R1121 (Red) , R1126 (Green) , R131 (Blue) and R1355 (Red), R1356 (green) and R1357 (blue). IIRC correctly there are jumpers in there but it's been a while so i may be mistaken. The ungrounded pads left by removing R1123, R1128 and R133 are an obvious spot but may not be suitable.

For a very simple blanking circuit try taking a 5V line to the input of single point switch, then connect the output of the switch to a 470 ohm resistor and solder it onto the leg of L003 that is closest to IC001. Quick and dirty but should work fine.

Here are pics of the mod and the result:
Result with fail to sync with the picture kind of rolling - (colors look right, its a MiSTer default static/reddish/white men)
Spoiler
Mod pic #1
Spoiler
Mod pic #2
Spoiler

Any thoughts on what to do to fix? For sync, I have the sync BNC wired into the S-Video on the back of that connector board since I had read that this or composite as sync sources is okay. For the blanking circuit I just used Mark's recommendation. Was I supposed to remove the existing 470 ohm resistor for the blank? It wasn't mentioned so I did not.
me@danieldoyle.com

Post by me@danieldoyle.com »

me@danieldoyle.com wrote:Hi folks, MarkOZLAD had a little mini guide I followed to OSD Mux of an AA-2 chassis. I just tried it out and I'm having an issue that I'm guessing is purely sync but thought I would reach out first. Here is Mark's quote:
MarkOZLAD wrote: ...
This AA-2 chassis TV can also be OSD Mux modded easily. It's already been covered in the thread but here we go again.

This set has an unusual OSD RGB circuit because it converts RGBI to RGB through a series of transistors but that is ok, there is still a simple way to do it.

R1123, R1128 and R133 are the OSD termination resistors that we want to target for the OSD mux. So we remove them.

They are 390 ohm resistors. Instead of using the OSD/External RGB muxing calculator to work out our mux resistors we will just cheat and subtract 75 from 390 to get something close. 390 - 75 = 315. Next standard resistor size is 330 ohms.

So we want to inject our 75 ohm terminated RGB into 330 ohm resistors and then into circuit somewhere between R1121 (Red) , R1126 (Green) , R131 (Blue) and R1355 (Red), R1356 (green) and R1357 (blue). IIRC correctly there are jumpers in there but it's been a while so i may be mistaken. The ungrounded pads left by removing R1123, R1128 and R133 are an obvious spot but may not be suitable.

For a very simple blanking circuit try taking a 5V line to the input of single point switch, then connect the output of the switch to a 470 ohm resistor and solder it onto the leg of L003 that is closest to IC001. Quick and dirty but should work fine.

Here are pics of the mod and the result:
Result with fail to sync with the picture kind of rolling - (colors look right, its a MiSTer default static/reddish/white men)
Spoiler
Mod pic #1
Spoiler
Mod pic #2
Spoiler

Any thoughts on what to do to fix? For sync, I have the sync BNC wired into the S-Video on the back of that connector board since I had read that this or composite as sync sources is okay. For the blanking circuit I just used Mark's recommendation. Was I supposed to remove the existing 470 ohm resistor for the blank? It wasn't mentioned so I did not.
Hi me, its me, you just switched your soldering from SVideo to using Composite for the sync and it worked! Yay! Thanks MarkOZLAD! Still need to calibrate it but the menu mixing/muxing is doing its thing:
Spoiler
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

> Hi me, its me, you just switched your soldering from SVideo to using Composite for the sync and it worked!

It's possible you just needed to plug an s-video cable into the port to trigger the "sense" line on the s-video.

Mod looks great.