TV RGB mod thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MarkOZLAD

Re: TV RGB mod thread

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Impellerhead wrote:I want to do a RGB mod on my Philips 14GR1221/10W and I am wondering if someone is willing to help
me a bit were to connect things.

Here's a link to the schematics.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ETg9q1 ... 9Un7F/view

Thanks.
Doesn’t look like this one can be RGB modded by the jungle RGB injection techniques we employ in this thread.

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Thatawkwardhipster wrote:Hi, I'm completely new to rgb modding. How hard would it it be to mod this console crt
http://imgur.com/gallery/cNuGdpN
Try pins 36 to 33
Spoiler
Thatawkwardhipster

Post by Thatawkwardhipster »

Thanks! that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't too sure
retrozar

Post by retrozar »

I have a certain tv with a strange jungle - it doesnt seem to have the OSD pins listed. The TV has 3 inputs - 2 composite and 1 component. It looks like they are marked as video 1, 2, and YUV in on the jungle, but all i see is RGB out, not in. Very strange.

Also of note there is actually an unused Y/C (SVideo) input and space on the board for a jack. Is it possible to add SVideo? How would i bias the signal on i wonder? There doesn't seem to be a way to switch to it on the TV menu..

https://imgur.com/a/OZwY53X

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/83181 ... fs100.html
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

retrozar wrote:I have a certain tv with a strange jungle - it doesnt seem to have the OSD pins listed. The TV has 3 inputs - 2 composite and 1 component. It looks like they are marked as video 1, 2, and YUV in on the jungle, but all i see is RGB out, not in. Very strange.

Also of note there is actually an unused Y/C (SVideo) input and space on the board for a jack. Is it possible to add SVideo? How would i bias the signal on i wonder? There doesn't seem to be a way to switch to it on the TV menu..

https://imgur.com/a/OZwY53X

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/83181 ... fs100.html
I would expect this mod to require you to fill in the missing components on circuit board, possibly with a switch to ground out the s-video detection and also require you to change an option bit in the service menu to enable the S-Video input. According to the manual you provided the KV-24FS100 has S-Video. I would study the option bytes for it compared to the option bytes for your set to try and identify the missing bit.

Grab this manual and study the differences.

https://elektrotanya.com/sony_ch.ba6-kv ... nload.html

retrozar

Post by retrozar »

Not sure if svideo is worth all of that, its a shame this one doesn't look like it can be RGB modded.
XxBIGWOODxX

Post by XxBIGWOODxX »

hello everyone. Quick question, i am looking at picking up a JVC AV-32D203 tomorrow night. I am getting it for free 99 which is awesome. I do have a question i am looking to see if it is able to have an RGB mod done to it. Also i downloaded a service manual however it did not give me a circuit schematic nor a parts list. ( I emailed the group that support it to see if i can get one.) Thanks for all the help everyone.
DJO_Maverick

Post by DJO_Maverick »

Still banging my head against this KV32s22 trying to get rid of this odd semi-circle that appears on the left side of the screen...

I've definitely tied it down to the blanking line; if disconnected, it does not appear, including on composite/s-video. Tried raising the resistance to bring the voltage down close to the 1v cutoff; tried hooking to the opposite side of the inductor; tried tying straight to pin 17 of the jungle; tried taking the inductor and blanking signal from the micon completely out of circuit; tried changing the source of the 5v from pin 46 of the micon to pin 29... all continue to function the same, but none of it is affecting the arc on the screen. It still doesn't photo well, but it is extremely apparent on medium-gray screens and similar tones (like Crateria), and any scrolling screen that features them. It's distinctly defined enough that I'd think it was some sort of burn-in, except that it isn't present without the blanking hooked up.

I've now also noticed that there are also some very faint (even fainter than the arc itself) vertical bars overlaying to the left of it.

Interestingly, it's possible to get rid of the problem it by expanding the H-size enough in the service menu; it maintains the same relative position, but it requires some heavy horizontal overscan to do so (waaaay more than is desirable/acceptable).

Does anybody have any experience with a blanking voltage causing an immovable interference pattern like this...?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

XxBIGWOODxX wrote:hello everyone. Quick question, i am looking at picking up a JVC AV-32D203 tomorrow night. I am getting it for free 99 which is awesome. I do have a question i am looking to see if it is able to have an RGB mod done to it. Also i downloaded a service manual however it did not give me a circuit schematic nor a parts list. ( I emailed the group that support it to see if i can get one.) Thanks for all the help everyone.
Try

https://elektrotanya.com/jvc_av-27d503_ ... nload.html

TM8812 model jungles can't be RGB modded. They are component/S video.

XxBIGWOODxX

Post by XxBIGWOODxX »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
XxBIGWOODxX wrote:hello everyone. Quick question, i am looking at picking up a JVC AV-32D203 tomorrow night. I am getting it for free 99 which is awesome. I do have a question i am looking to see if it is able to have an RGB mod done to it. Also i downloaded a service manual however it did not give me a circuit schematic nor a parts list. ( I emailed the group that support it to see if i can get one.) Thanks for all the help everyone.
Try

Thanks for the schematic, are you saying that this tv model av32d203 is pretty much a no go for rgb modding?
DJO_Maverick

Post by DJO_Maverick »

Just dug this up from the way-back machine on pages 24 and 25; at least two other people reporting an identical faint bowed vertical line (arc, semi-circle, whatever) on the left side of modded Sony, just like what's haunting mine:
hardtecnica wrote:
hunkmuffin wrote:Hi I have tried my first RGB mod on a Sony KV-32V68. I am wondering if I terminated my grounds correctly. I used 75ohm resitors to ground off the R,G,B, and sync line respectively. I read somewhere that all the grounds on the panel mount SCART connector are sharing the common ground. So, I hooked all of them together and connected the ground to the s-video input because it would not trigger unless the grounds were connected to it. It automatically deferred to composite video when no ground is present, and I wanted my sync to go to s-video instead. I hooked up everything to a 4PDT switch with 5V on one side to activate RGB. Everything woks, but I am getting some interference. Also there is a faint vertical bowing line running down the left side of a screen that I can't figure out. Is it the voltage, or is it grounded wrong?

Thanks for the help

Yeah. Im having that same bowing faint line on the left in my Sony in any input type or in the black screen of the AV, in RGB it's just most noticeably due to the hi-def of the input. I dont remember of seeing it before the mod, maybe it was ever there, but maybe its caused by the extra wires inside the TV (that bow change his position if you adjust the H-SIZE). In any case, it dont bother during the gameplay, unless for me. About the interference you mean horizontal random faint lines? Im getting those, but I found that it's due to my poor shielded cheap cable, not the mod.
Seems like none of the tech-savvy people weighed in on it at the time. Of particular interest to me, is that the named model also uses the AA-2D chassis like what I just did, and that was back in the snip-only era, so presumably not a mix method issue. I'm curious:

a) Has anyone ever successfully modded a Sony AA-2D chassis set (any method; snip, mix, or otherwise) and NOT had this dark bowed line? And if not,

b) Is there anything identifiable about the peculiar way that board is set up that might make it electrically distinct enough to cause this? I know Mark pointed out that it appeared that the OSD output is basically going through a DAC on its way to the jungle, which seems a bit unusual, but I don't know if that's related...
XxBIGWOODxX

Post by XxBIGWOODxX »

Quick question, I am guessing my tv JVC AV-32D203 is unable to be RGB modded, would it behoove me to just get a scart to YUV converter? How much picture quality lose would i receive if any? Im looking at the ShinyBow version is that the best one available. Thanks??
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

Shiny SB-2840 is unanimously regarded as good. Another option is Retrotek SCBV1P3 on ebay.

https://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_inf ... cts_id=220
XxBIGWOODxX

Post by XxBIGWOODxX »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:Shiny SB-2840 is unanimously regarded as good. Another option is Retrotek SCBV1P3 on ebay.

https://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_inf ... cts_id=220
yeah i saw the retrotech one, i hear good things about that as well. can anybody tell me if im gonna lose a superior amount of quality from going this route? It just seems to me if i cant mod my tv i might as well try to see if even purchasing a piece of equipment would get me there as well.
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

Honestly from what heard the gains are less than S-video to Component. With that said it is definitely worth doing on composite and s-video sets. I plan to do one to a 20" Sony one of these days, but it needs a full yoke adjustment before its worth it.

I would say its worth grabbing a rgb to component converter. You also get the benefit of having all the cables for a setup should you RGB mod something anyhow.

Even though RGB and Component are in theory mathematically equivalent, the same cannot be said about the implementation and results. Ste from retrovision had a good roundtable discussion on this before on color space conversions. A lot of our consoles and arcade boards have varying degrees of rgb and don't really follow a spec to a t imo.

In theory on the same tv component vs rgb, rgb should should always be better or at worst equal. Whether you can see this with the naked eye or need an oscilloscope/pictures is on a case by case basis. Remember the more steps an analog signal has to go through (caps, resistors, ics, traces) the higher the probability of signal degradation.

someone said it best here: rgb modding is like seeing the max potential of what your tube can achieve.
XxBIGWOODxX

Post by XxBIGWOODxX »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:Honestly from what heard the gains are less than S-video to Component. With that said it is definitely worth doing on composite and s-video sets. I plan to do one to a 20" Sony one of these days, but it needs a full yoke adjustment before its worth it.

I would say its worth grabbing a rgb to component converter. You also get the benefit of having all the cables for a setup should you RGB mod something anyhow.

Even though RGB and Component are in theory mathematically equivalent, the same cannot be said about the implementation and results. Ste from retrovision had a good roundtable discussion on this before on color space conversions. A lot of our consoles and arcade boards have varying degrees of rgb and don't really follow a spec to a t imo.

In theory on the same tv component vs rgb, rgb should should always be better or at worst equal. Whether you can see this with the naked eye or need an oscilloscope/pictures is on a case by case basis. Remember the more steps an analog signal has to go through (caps, resistors, ics, traces) the higher the probability of signal degradation.

someone said it best here: rgb modding is like seeing the max potential of what your tube can achieve.

Thanks i appreciate it. Maybe after my move and things get settled ill try and look for a moddable capable one.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

XxBIGWOODxX wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote:
Try

Thanks for the schematic, are you saying that this tv model av32d203 is pretty much a no go for rgb modding?

I had another look at this set today....I found something very interesting. The Picture in Picture input goes to a TA1287F-X chip (IC601). This chip appears to be able to convert RGB to YCbCr. (Y/R-Y/B-Y). This then gets sent to the jungle.

https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/part ... 7F-pdf.php

Perhaps it will be possible to input the RGB into the Picture in Picture port (Y_PIP = Green, PR_PIP = Red, PB_PIP Blue, YS_PIP blanking, sync through AV)) and have the TV internally convert the RGB to Component.

The "Mat. Cont" pin on IC601 has 9V going through a 6.8/3.3 voltage divider which will mean 3V is going to the pin so it should already be in RGB->YUV (NTSC mode).

I'm not sure this will be any better than using an external RGB to Component converter, but will be cheaper if done right.

AFTER LOOKING AT THIS I REALISED THAT THIS TOPIC HAS ALREADY BEEN COVERED IN THIS THREAD...

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=213

SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Hey guys,

I hope it's okay to crosspost here, as this thread seems to be more active.
Could you maybe take the time to look at a problem I am having with an RGB mod on a JVC TM-H150CG?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60736&start=60

I'll sift through this thread and see if I can find something useful as well.
Sammickk

Post by Sammickk »

OK so I have a chance to get a toshiba 32A61 set for free, I've sorta made this into a hobby and have modded a few sets so far and i enjoy doing it.
Question is, I can't find anything on the schematics but it was manufactured in 2001. does anyone have any insight on this set? being from 2001 i would guess it has a jungle with separate chip that handles the OSD and therefore mod-able but I'm not sure and just kinda asking you guys opinions on it.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Open her up and take a heap of photos.

DJO_Maverick

Post by DJO_Maverick »

Final (?) follow up on my Sony saga... I got another similar Trinitron from the same line, a KV-32S42, also an AA-2D chassis, to take another run at for comparison. However, in initial testing before I've done anything to it yet, I've discovered it has the EXACT same arc and semi-jailbar distortion in the exact same spot as my 32S22 does... it is merely fainter without having done anything to the set yet. This makes me think there was nothing wrong with the initial methodology, but maybe it's just a quirk/defect of this particular line of Trinitrons... either of the tube or the chassis.

Chances are it might not bother a lot of people (it's really only obvious on certain colors), but I'm definitely curious if anyone else has ever played around with any AA-2D chassis and noticed this (with or without mod).
goldendark007

Re: SHARP CRT RGB Mod and Questions

Post by goldendark007 »

Hello all - long time follower here. I have been considering doing an RGB mod to one of my many CRTs but I am inexperienced and, even with all the videos and threads I have read, definitely will need some help. I have a SHARP 13L-M100, the TV is from March 1999 and has a composite video and audio (mono) input.

The service manual is located here: https://all-guides.com/manual/841042/sh ... al-34.html

From what I can tell, the two chips I need to focus on are the Ix5256CE, which deals with the System Control and outputs RGB from pins 18, 19, and 20 and has a vBlank at 21, which appears to run to the second important chip, the Jungle IC, which is a Ix3253CE. The OSD RGB-ins are on pins 15, 16, and 17 and the blanking pin there is 14. According to the schematic, there are some resistors and capacitors from the System Control to the Jungle chip. What I need help with is:

- How do I wire this exactly? If I use the schematic provided by mikejmoffitt at the start of this thread do I just run a wire from the SCART pin to the leg of a 75ohm resistor and then also tie a wire to that same leg and run it to ground? Then the wire continues and has a 0.1uF cap in series?
- Do I need to use the calculator sheet to figure out any other resistors or things I need? Based on the schematic in the service manual (which I have a tenuous grasp of), do I need any extra configurations or can I just use the schematic from the first post?
- Would each of the pins from the SCART, connected to a ground, then resistor, then cap, each then run to the leg of a switch? I guess what I am asking is, how do I add a switch and does anyone have a simple schematic on how to wire it? I am under the assumption that you would need to tie all 4 RGB legs from the System control to one side of a switch and 3 of the SCART ones with a +5V to the other side.
- How does the composite tie in? Do I just run a wire from SCART to the back of the composite input?
- Do I need to use any special wire gauges etc? I have AWG30 solid, AWG18 stranded copper.. I can also buy more. I want to use something that will also have a connection so I can have a breakaway for when I need to open the CRT shell.

I am sure my questions will evolve.. and some of this probably sounds dumb - but I could really use the help. I am good with a soldering iron but mainly stayed with game repros or console mods. Thanks in advance!

PS - This is the TV when using the GRID pattern on 240p Test Suite. There is a bit of dimness to the bottom right corner and each square has a little zig to it. In the scrolling test you do not see any zigzags but in any grid test you do. This is running through a third party (multi-console) composite cable.. but I thought I would also show this and ask what you think of me using this as my demo unit. Either way, I will likely use it.. but all input is welcome!!

maxtherabbit wrote:Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

goldendark007 wrote:Hello all - long time follower here. I have been considering doing an RGB mod to one of my many CRTs but I am inexperienced and, even with all the videos and threads I have read, definitely will need some help. I have a SHARP 13L-M100, the TV is from March 1999 and has a composite video and audio (mono) input.

The service manual is located here: https://all-guides.com/manual/841042/sh ... al-34.html

From what I can tell, the two chips I need to focus on are the Ix5256CE, which deals with the System Control and outputs RGB from pins 18, 19, and 20 and has a vBlank at 21, which appears to run to the second important chip, the Jungle IC, which is a Ix3253CE. The OSD RGB-ins are on pins 15, 16, and 17 and the blanking pin there is 14. According to the schematic, there are some resistors and capacitors from the System Control to the Jungle chip. What I need help with is:

- How do I wire this exactly? If I use the schematic provided by mikejmoffitt at the start of this thread do I just run a wire from the SCART pin to the leg of a 75ohm resistor and then also tie a wire to that same leg and run it to ground? Then the wire continues and has a 0.1uF cap in series?
- Do I need to use the calculator sheet to figure out any other resistors or things I need? Based on the schematic in the service manual (which I have a tenuous grasp of), do I need any extra configurations or can I just use the schematic from the first post?
- Would each of the pins from the SCART, connected to a ground, then resistor, then cap, each then run to the leg of a switch? I guess what I am asking is, how do I add a switch and does anyone have a simple schematic on how to wire it? I am under the assumption that you would need to tie all 4 RGB legs from the System control to one side of a switch and 3 of the SCART ones with a +5V to the other side.
- How does the composite tie in? Do I just run a wire from SCART to the back of the composite input?
- Do I need to use any special wire gauges etc? I have AWG30 solid, AWG18 stranded copper.. I can also buy more. I want to use something that will also have a connection so I can have a breakaway for when I need to open the CRT shell.

I am sure my questions will evolve.. and some of this probably sounds dumb - but I could really use the help. I am good with a soldering iron but mainly stayed with game repros or console mods. Thanks in advance!

PS - This is the TV when using the GRID pattern on 240p Test Suite. There is a bit of dimness to the bottom right corner and each square has a little zig to it. In the scrolling test you do not see any zigzags but in any grid test you do. This is running through a third party (multi-console) composite cable.. but I thought I would also show this and ask what you think of me using this as my demo unit. Either way, I will likely use it.. but all input is welcome!!

I've had several sets do the zig on that grid test - it seems to be pretty common for non-pro CRTs to have a bit of disturbance in the horizontal deflection immediately following a high brightness line (the horizontal lines in the grid v. the spaces between them)

Even my IBM 5154 EGA CRT will exhibit similar behaviour with high-bright lines on the display.

it's probably related to HV regulation, but while obviously non-ideal, it doesn't seem to be representative of a failure condition
goldendark007

Post by goldendark007 »

maxtherabbit wrote: I've had several sets do the zig on that grid test - it seems to be pretty common for non-pro CRTs to have a bit of disturbance in the horizontal deflection immediately following a high brightness line (the horizontal lines in the grid v. the spaces between them)

Even my IBM 5154 EGA CRT will exhibit similar behaviour with high-bright lines on the display.

it's probably related to HV regulation, but while obviously non-ideal, it doesn't seem to be representative of a failure condition
That's a relief to hear. I know it is hard to tell, but the red in the bottom right corner is a little pale/orange. In the scrolling test, it is a bit paler than the rest of the brown at the bottom of the screen. I think it will do fine for a first time job. My main goal is to get a dummy version of what I need to do connect this up and get a parts list so I can have everything by the end of the week.

Thanks again
metrodigital

Post by metrodigital »

Hi guys,
I was hoping someone could help me out. I want to RGB mod a TV for use in a Primal Rage arcade cabinet with JAMMA, as well as some MAME emulation.
A TV has just become available for sale, but I just wanted to confirm if the mod was possible on this model before buying it.
It's a Sony Trinitron KV-XA25M30A.
I'm hoping it's a good replacement for the original 25" Neotec 2515C Arcade monitor that originally came with Primal Rage, as this TV is also 25".

I have downloaded the service manual for more info.

Here is the wetransfer download link for the service manual.

https://we.tl/t-vTNX7ND1uT

Thanks guys :)
goldendark007

Post by goldendark007 »

So here is my game plan. I want to remove the three R G B pins and blanking pin on the Jungle IC. Then I want to run jumpers from the pads that I pulled the pins out of to one side of a switch (the switch I am considering is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a13060600 ... 00DUYSW4E/). The other side will have the jumpers for my SCART head. Will this switch be suitable and will using the diagram in the first post work? When tying each channel to ground - is that the grounding pins on the SCART head? How do I connect the SYNC from composite? Can I pull SYNC from the Y-In at pin 43 on the Jungle IC and tie it to pin 20 on the SCART mount?

This is a VERY rough diagram of what I want to attempt. Keep in mind that I would be removing the four pins on the Jungle IC from their spots on the PCB and running wires to the legs. I want to have R G B input on one side of the switch with the +5V (can I pull this from pin 16 on the SCART head or do I need to run it somewhere on the PCB? If I can use pin16 can I tie it to 18? I will update this diagram as I progress. If you have any suggestions or if I am misinterpreting what I need to do let me know! Thanks!!

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

That's a cool diagram.
Check markozlads signature for an even cooler one.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

goldendark007

Your TV is an excellent candidate for an OSD/External RGB Mux method. Please don't mutilate your set with an OSD snip method. It's obsolete, inelegant and actually harder to implement.

R803, R804, R805 are the existing OSD termination resistors that you will want to remove. Unfortunately they are surface mount so we can't cheat with the twisting resistor methods I like to use. You will likely need to build a little circuit board or be good at soldering at the scart port.

Resistors R2024, R2025 and R2026 are the factory OSD inline resistors. They are 6800R. If you look at the table in my signature you will see that means we want to use 1100R as our new external RGB inline resistors.

If you want to use scart to blank, follow the diagram. You will just want to use 3300R on your external blanking line. If you want to rig up a switch, find an internal 5V line, run it to a switch input leg, on the output leg connect a 6800R and connect it to the leg of R2027 that is farthest from the Microcontroller (IC2001)

Please check out the diagram in my signature. Your diagram correctly identifies the parts, compare the patterns.

Just for the record, your diagram does an excellent job of showing an OSD Snip method, it is just that the OSD snip method is obsolete.

Also, with the OSD/Ext RGB mux method you won't need to add caps. We will go through the factory ones.
Last edited by MarkOZLAD on Wed May 29, 2019 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

It was the accepted method for a long time and is still on the front page of this thread. Don't blame the new guy. He seems to have picked up the concepts very well, we just need to point him in the correct direction now.