TV RGB mod thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hrimpursar

Sharp 19LM100

Post by Hrimpursar »

Hi people, I'm planning on SCART mod the TV Sharp model 19LM100 it's from 1999 or 1998...

Manual:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uefLT ... A55tQifWo2
schematic(cut it from the two pdf pages and save it in one high resolution png):https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GPcEn ... eJ3zVKdGZM
MICROCONTROLLER IC2001(IX3256CE)
JUNGLE IC201(IX3253CE)

From what I've read in this thread, there are numerous cases that are almost the same as mine(resistors with the same number and ohms, microcontroller, jungle), but before doing anything i will double check with you if this tv is green light for rgb modding.

All NTSC(i think the SCART input method varies, something related to use capacitors instead of resistors)

Thank you so much for you dedication. Have a nice day.
Last edited by Hrimpursar on Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
hernanjano78

Re: TV RGB mod thread

Post by hernanjano78 »

Hi, I wanted to know how much video voltage is needed for rgb mux to work.
i have a rgb amplifier that raises the vga outputs 0.7v to 2.5v
Will it be enough for rgb mux? or do I need a voltage of 5v?
in case of putting the direct rgb output of vga 07v to the chassis
Is it necessary to remove the resistors and ground 75ohms?
or go straight to the jumpers (ba5d chassis)
and the only thing that is modified is the output of synchronisms.
thanks for all the help provided
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

hernanjano78 wrote:Hi, I wanted to know how much video voltage is needed for rgb mux to work.
On all the jungle chips that the RGB mux is recommended for, the RGB input lines expect 700mVpp. Do not use any type of amplifier. The OEM circuit is a resistive voltage divider that drops the TTL voltage from the microcontroller down to analog video level to be fed to the jungle IC. The mux circuit mixes the external RGB with this attenuated OSD signal.
hernanjano78

Post by hernanjano78 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
hernanjano78 wrote:Hi, I wanted to know how much video voltage is needed for rgb mux to work.
On all the jungle chips that the RGB mux is recommended for, the RGB input lines expect 700mVpp. Do not use any type of amplifier. The OEM circuit is a resistive voltage divider that drops the TTL voltage from the microcontroller down to analog video level to be fed to the jungle IC. The mux circuit mixes the external RGB with this attenuated OSD signal.
Hi maxtherabbit
I plan to modify a sony tv kv29fs105 (chassis ba5d) my idea is to do it with the rgb.mux method.
initially
I plan to use it with a PC with a program to transform the video to rgb15 khz.
but in the future I would like to connect a game console.

my question is:
If I modify the conventional rgb mux method, will it help me to connect the PC to the video amplifier? (emits the output at 2.5v)
and then be able to connect a game console to the same input?

or I should make the mod directly to enter with the 0.7v signal of the pc without using the amplifier.
(in the future I could not connect a console)

the amplifier takes the output vga 0.7v and gives an output at 2.5v
are those 2.5v enough for the rgb mux input? or do you need a 5v ttl input?
thanks!
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

hernanjano78 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
Hi maxtherabbit
I plan to modify a sony tv kv29fs105 (chassis ba5d) my idea is to do it with the rgb.mux method.
initially
I plan to use it with a PC with a program to transform the video to rgb15 khz.
but in the future I would like to connect a game console.

my question is:
If I modify the conventional rgb mux method, will it help me to connect the PC to the video amplifier? (emits the output at 2.5v)
and then be able to connect a game console to the same input?

or I should make the mod directly to enter with the 0.7v signal of the pc without using the amplifier.
(in the future I could not connect a console)

the amplifier takes the output vga 0.7v and gives an output at 2.5v
are those 2.5v enough for the rgb mux input? or do you need a 5v ttl input?
thanks!
bro you are not listening: EVERYTHING needs to be 0.7v

the computer already is (VGA spec)
game consoles already are (PAL spec, NTSC is a cunthair higher but who's counting)
the OSD is already being dropped to that level internally

NO amplifier is needed for anything - just follow the instructions here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63622
hernanjano78

Post by hernanjano78 »

Ok, thanks for the patience and clear my doubts .. It confused me with the output voltages. then the scart and VGA format emit a voltage of 07v. (fit for rgb.mux) Jamma game boards are the ones that emit RGB at a higher voltage (they shouldn't connect) Thanks again to everyone for sharing their knowledge. This week I start with the mod and if everything goes well it will revive my Capcom impress.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Sony BA-5D chassis already has a guide thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63622

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
hernanjano78

Post by hernanjano78 »

yes mark, I was reading a lot and I cheered up with the :( ba5d. Because there is a lot of information about it.
thanks
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

@Maxtherabbit.

VGA is not all .7vpp (RGB Generally is but can be 1vpp at times)

Sync is 5vpp over VGA (TTL) and can damage some jungles.

Its also 480p 31k at a minimum and has separated syncs unless you do some sketchy hacks so im not even sure why it has come up, don't know of a consumer TV that accepts 480p 31k input.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Syntax wrote:@Maxtherabbit.

VGA is not all .7vpp (RGB Generally is but can be 1vpp at times)

Sync is 5vpp over VGA (TTL) and can damage some jungles.

Its also 480p 31k at a minimum and has separated syncs unless you do some sketchy hacks so im not even sure why it has come up, don't know of a consumer TV that accepts 480p 31k input.
I'm well aware that sync is TTL. The person I was responding to was specifically discussing amplifying signal levels for the colors only. He was also planning to use crt emudriver to output a 15kHz mode, I would assume using composite sync. You're right the sync from the video card would need to be attenuated though.

RE: 1Vpp RGB from VGA - I know this is a thing but it must be pretty uncommon. I've never come across a video card that outputs it.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Most of the time the jungle will put up with TTL sync as the chips themselves are 5v powered.

Its when you do things like connect the 12v scart auto switching pin to sync that things get fried generally (PAL SNES with an NTSC CSYNC cable)
thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

I'm trying my hand at this. I picked up a severely yellowed, once upon a time white Sony KV-9PT40. Upon taking it apart I am met with an LA7672 jungle. What I'm confused about if it doesn't have the typical R,G,B,YS/blank inputs on it. It has an R,G, and a B/blank that is shared. Has anyone ever had experience with a jungle such as this?

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

thedudeabides wrote:Has anyone ever had experience with a jungle such as this?
I haven't, but I can confirm that the datasheet very clearly states that pin 17 is for combined blue and blanking input. I think it's saying it wants 3.1V max on that pin. It appears to vary depending on the desired OSD mode.

If I read the schematic correctly, your set doesn't output from the blue OSD output (pin 45 on char gen chip) to the jungle and it would probably just be the blanking input right now. There are two diodes running from the R and G lines to the B plus Blank. I think you'd have to build the little circuit for the input to include the blue input from your line in. I'm totally not an expert, but I think you might have to choose between the OSD and RGB because you might have to cut the lines to the diodes to get the right voltage at the B in. (I think it would be the blanking plus your blue with some resistors on the input to bring it to a total of 3.1.

I would probably try probing pin 17 with the OSD on and off to see what you're actually getting there, and also on either side of those diodes. The one thing I can't figure out from that datasheet is how the chip sets the mode. It mentions a blanking threshold, but I don't know how it determines what's blue and what's blanking. If I had to guess, it sets the chip in RG only if the voltage on the blanking is lower than some amount. This is probably because blue is an uncommon OSD color in older sets. I have a little Toshiba with no blue input, but it has a separate blanking pin.

I will be very interested to see how this proceeds as I also have to address the unpopulated blue text input on my jungle IC.

Unfortunately, I have a blown vertical section on my set and I have to fix that now before I can experiment with mine.
thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

vol.2 I will try it out in the next week or two. Before you replied I got bored and went out and picked up a KV27V42. I modded it with mux method and everything looks great except I can't seem to get the OSD that tells me what AV selection I'm using to disappear. I had sync hooked up through luma and thought maybe that had something to do with it, changed sync to composite and still get the same issue. Has anyone else had this issue where the top left corner always says what AV port you're using and never goes away?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

The remote should have a display/reveal button

thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

MarkOZLAD wrote:The remote should have a display/reveal button
I am officially the biggest idiot in the world if that's all it is. Do you know how many times I troubleshot/tried different resistor values, av in for sync, ground location, etc?

Just checked that was indeed it. Biggest idiot=me.
Hrimpursar

Re: Sharp 19LM100

Post by Hrimpursar »

Hrimpursar wrote:Hi people, I'm planning on SCART mod the TV Sharp model 19LM100 it's from 1999 or 1998...

schematic(cut it from the two pdf pages and save it in one high resolution png):https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GPcEn ... eJ3zVKdGZM
JUNGLE IC201(IX3253CE)

From what I've read in this thread, there are numerous cases that are almost the same as mine(resistors with the same number and ohms, microcontroller, jungle), but before doing anything i will double check with you if this tv is green light for rgb modding.

All NTSC(i think the SCART input method varies, something related to use capacitors instead of resistors)

Hi, a few days ago posted this just to know if my tv is able to have rgb mod

The last sentence was related to scart socket(the one that goes inside the tv from the board to the socket), i just saw the scart cable(from console to tv) changes it's circuitry if the cable it's NTSC or PAL, so i think the socket may or may not change too, hope you can help me out.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Dont worry about console scart cables. They only differ because some consoles are missing parts and the cable makes up for it.
Hrimpursar

Post by Hrimpursar »

Syntax wrote:Dont worry about console scart cables. They only differ because some consoles are missing parts and the cable makes up for it.
So, this tv is a good "GO" through RGB Mux Method?
samsavell

Post by samsavell »

Thanks everyone for the huge amount of information and such available! I was able to modify a 13" Disney Princess CRT. Should be the same setup for the Mickey Mouse and Cars variants too, I think? The OSD setup was textbook compared to the OSD-MUX diagram. :)

Additional pics:
https://twitter.com/BigDadDewgong/statu ... 44576?s=20

I currently have the female SCART end hanging out of the tv, but i'd like to change this to a method using RCA plugs. What is the optimal way to handle the 5V signal that i'm pulling from the SCART plug? If I run 5v from a source on the TV chassis to the blanking circuit, would this work?
Hrimpursar

Post by Hrimpursar »

samsavell wrote:Thanks everyone for the huge amount of information and such available! I was able to modify a 13" Disney Princess CRT. Should be the same setup for the Mickey Mouse and Cars variants too, I think? The OSD setup was textbook compared to the OSD-MUX diagram. :)

Additional pics:
https://twitter.com/BigDadDewgong/statu ... 44576?s=20

I currently have the female SCART end hanging out of the tv, but i'd like to change this to a method using RCA plugs. What is the optimal way to handle the 5V signal that i'm pulling from the SCART plug? If I run 5v from a source on the TV chassis to the blanking circuit, would this work?
I think the 8-bit guy do rca instead of SCART, watch his videos hope they can help you out, look the part2 because he made a mistake in the blanking line with the switch and he was sending 5v volt to the microcontroller pin too...
part1.-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLz6pgvsZ_I
part2.-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkpSBK3g-gA
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Hrimpursar wrote:
Syntax wrote:Dont worry about console scart cables. They only differ because some consoles are missing parts and the cable makes up for it.
So, this tv is a good "GO" through RGB Mux Method?
The jungle is a sharp branded equivalent of a Toshiba TA1268AN.

Check out the data sheet.

Should be fine for Mux.

MiteWiseacre

Post by MiteWiseacre »

Is there a write up in the MuxRGB method? Like the expected results and benefits?
How do I use the resistor table if there are two resistors in-line, one to ground like a voltage divider, coming from the micom?

Edit: this thread looks like it has all my answers
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63622&p=1342460#p1342460
I gather that the grounded resistor is a given and doesn’t change the formula
Still I have a question about injecting sync into s-video, do you just tap into the luma pin?
This didn’t work for me using H&V sync combined from vga.
Thanks for your help.
GeeDee

Post by GeeDee »

Hello Hello! I tried one of these mods...I think a few years ago (?) when the OSD snip was still kinda new, but I haven't tried picking it back up until now. The new Mux method seems great! I've been doing a good bit of reading through here, and was really hoping I wouldn't have to post to figure things out- but I feel like it would be better to clarify before getting into it.

(admittedly massive) Pics etc under the spoiler; I think I've got the entire gameplan down, I just want the green light that I'm on the right track from someone more experienced than I. Thanks in advance!
Spoiler
I have a few tubes I'd like to try this with, but I'm starting with a Memorex MT1197. Important pics below, but let me know if you need the whole manual! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have this right, I'm removing R120-R123 and adding jumpers in their place. Then I'm removing R102-R104, and replacing them with 750 resistors, since the original inline resisters I removed were 4,700 and there are no diodes between there and the IC. The 4,700 on R124 for blanking however stays, if I'm understanding the Mux mod circuit diagram correctly. Terminate RGB and Blanking with 75ohms to ground at the scart, then solder the other ends to the jumpers I made on R120-R123. There's already a 0.1uf cap leading out, so that wouldn't need to be replaced. The rest seems pretty cake in comparison...so long as I have the rest of that right :roll:

Let me know if I have anything backwards!
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

MiteWiseacre wrote:Is there a write up in the MuxRGB method? Like the expected results and benefits?
How do I use the resistor table if there are two resistors in-line, one to ground like a voltage divider, coming from the micom?

Still I have a question about injecting sync into s-video, do you just tap into the luma pin?
Thanks for your help.
1) You can still have your OSD when in RGB mode
2) You don't have to solder up twelve wires to a big ass switch
3) Mux can be very simple to implement, especially if you have through hole components on your TV chassis. If you take your time and analyse the circuitry you can often come up with very simple and elegant implementations.
4) You don't even need to do maths, just look at the tables I've provided in my signature

The OSD snip method was a horrible, "big hammer" approach. The mux is easier and leaves you with a set that is close to a factory RGB outcome.

> if there are two resistors in-line, one to ground like a voltage divider,

Just add the values of the two inline resistors together and use it with the table.

You can likely just cheat and subtract 75 from the existing ground resistor and use the nearest standard value as your replacement ground resistor. That should get you close. Even just using the existing resistor is probably ok, just as long as it's no longer grounded anymore and is instead connected to your 75 ohm terminated RGB.

> Still I have a question about injecting sync into s-video, do you just tap into the luma pin?

I always use the existing AV ports. I have never lifted a chip leg etc. For S-Video sync feed you may need to activate a switch inside the S-Video port for the AV switch inside the TV to activate the Luma input. I would wire the sync into a s-video cable's luma line and then plug it in. You want this for an arcade cab right? Doesn't really need to be pretty.

jeffez

Post by jeffez »

Has anyone seen what's in the photo below? The text is all slanted.
I'm pretty sure this is an issue with sync. The the severity of the effect varies depending what's on screen. This is for an svideo mod on an rf only set but i figure it's worth asking here as i have seen sync can also be a problem when rgb modding.
Perhaps the sync signal is too weak? After some trial and error i am injecting the sync line (on luma) into the base of a transistor right before the signal goes out to the jungles hsync and vsync pins.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Does it do it with an rf signal?
MiteWiseacre

Post by MiteWiseacre »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
MiteWiseacre wrote:Is there a write up in the MuxRGB method? Like the expected results and benefits?

Thanks for your help.
1) You can still have your OSD when in RGB mode
2) You don't have to solder up twelve wires to a big ass switch
3) Mux can be very simple to implement, especially if you have through hole components on your TV chassis. If you take your time and analyse the circuitry you can often come up with very simple and elegant implementations.
4) You don't even need to do maths, just look at the tables I've provided in my signature

The OSD snip method was a horrible, "big hammer" approach. The mux is easier and leaves you with a set that is close to a factory RGB outcome.

> if there are two resistors in-line, one to ground like a voltage divider,

Just add the values of the two inline resistors together and use it with the table.

You can likely just cheat and subtract 75 from the existing ground resistor and use the nearest standard value as your replacement ground resistor. That should get you close. Even just using the existing resistor is probably ok, just as long as it's no longer grounded anymore and is instead connected to your 75 ohm terminated RGB.

> Still I have a question about injecting sync into s-video, do you just tap into the luma pin?

I always use the existing AV ports. I have never lifted a chip leg etc. For S-Video sync feed you may need to activate a switch inside the S-Video port for the AV switch inside the TV to activate the Luma input. I would wire the sync into a s-video cable's luma line and then plug it in. You want this for an arcade cab right? Doesn't really need to be pretty.
Thanks very much for the response. Let me see if I understand.
So with s-vid sync I should try plugging a cable into the input to activate the line, that makes sense.
Toshiba in question has a 4700r connected to a grounded 4700r and I’ve tapped in on a jumper after this. I should have pulled the grounded resistor and inserted mux there, with a 750ohm resistor?
darknezz19

Re: Sharp 19LM100

Post by darknezz19 »

Hrimpursar wrote:Hi people, I'm planning on SCART mod the TV Sharp model 19LM100 it's from 1999 or 1998...

JUNGLE IC201(IX3253CE)

I've been trying to mod an unknown chassis with this jungle for a couple days. The D VCC pin next to RGB OSD inputs provides about 3.7v volts and blanks the screen, but no RGB from my Genesis model 2.. The main VCC pin is 9V and tying that to BLK shuts the chassis down. Also tried a 5v source and a 4.7v, neither of those blanked the screen. I'm running a straight wire from Model 2 AV port to 75ohm terminated RGB inputs. I should still see something without the inline 75ohm resistors or .01nf caps right? Also using comp sync(for now) and ground lines as well of course. RGB in pins on jungle are out of circuit by removing 3x smd caps. BLK is still in circuit though could this be the problem? Maybe I should have just went for mux method. Any advice?
jeffez

Post by jeffez »

Syntax wrote:Does it do it with an rf signal?
I checked and no. Despite the poor rf image quality the exact same screen of text looks ok in stock rf mode.