TV RGB mod thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
undone.evil

Re: TV RGB mod thread

Post by undone.evil »

i tried the modification you suggested and now the OSD is way bright and washed out also the red amp must be there for a reason because now theres almost no red on the OSD.
i think im gona go back to where it was before and play with the resistor values because theres all kinds of weird interference and garbage on the screen when theres no external RGB signal.

unless you have some other suggestion.

thank you for all your help
billybob884

Post by billybob884 »

I recently picked up a Sony KV-32FS100 which has the purportedly common CXA2154AS jungle chip, and I'm looking for a little help modding it. I've found the following post in this thread that I've based my design off of:
DrZhark wrote:first of all thanks for all the pioneers for your great help.

I've just tried modding my Sony KV-27FS100, and it worked but there is an issue that's driving me nuts, I'm hoping someone can help me figure it out.

The sony KV-27FS100 has the well known Jungle IC CXA2154/5AS

https://i.imgur.com/N2dxf78.png

So I added SCART connector with 75 Ohm to ground and 0.1uf (104) capacitors then ran the RGB cables to a 4PDT switch,
on the TV, I lifted pins 40 (YS2/YM), 41 (B-IN), 42(G-IN) and 43 (R-IN) and connected them to the middle of the 4PDT switch, and ran four cables to where those IC pins were connected on the board and plugged them to the other side of the 4PDT switch.

for blanking, I connected a 5Volt from the main TV board to the remaining pin of the 4PDT switch (that connects to pin 40 of the IC switch).

I also connected the ground from the SCART to a ground PIN on the TV mainboard.

finally, connected CSYNC to luma and Audio L and Audio R to the SVIDEO (Video1) input on the TV

and it works, I can use the switch to active the OSD or the RGB in, there is a very good quality video on Video1.

However, the right third of the screen is lighter than the rest. This only happens when I use the RGB in, it is completely normal if I use S-VIDEO, composite video or Component video.

I tried disconnecting the Audio lines (no difference), disconnecting ground from the SCART (no image)...

I'm wondering if the issue is due to the blanking? I'm connecting 5v directly (no resistors). any ideas? Thanks in advance!

DrZhark's post is for the 27" version of the same model (mine is a 32", they even share the same service manual, so they should be otherwise identical). Ultimately, DrZhark uses capacitors on the scart connector sized to match the ones on the jungle chip's input pins (0.1uF for the Red-in, and 0.01uF for the Green/Blue-in's). According to him this works perfectly, but when I went to take mine apart, I noticed a discrepancy with the capacitor names.

According to the schematic, pin 43 (R-IN) goes to capacitor C353 (0.1uF, 16v), but the actual circuit board has a cap labelled C354, which is actually 0.01uF (verified with my meter after severing the trace between the pin/cap).

I had originally planned to use a 0.1uF cap on the scart connector like DrZhark's build, but now I'm not sure what to use.

Has anyone else worked on one of these models? Thanks for the help
lolitsevan

Post by lolitsevan »

Hey, a few years ago I modded my sony kv-27s42 with the less desirable method of disabling osd thru a switch (please be kind), but now I'm having one major issue with color, albeit intermittent (so I don't have a picture currently but it's very easy to describe).

My issue is that while I was playing snes on the tv, the screen all the sudden went blue, not totally blue, but like blue washed over the entire screen. Basically, black became blue but ONLY through my hacked rgb input (example, I turn on the tv when it's switched to the rgb input and it's all blue, not black). On the other side of things, when I switch back to normal function/osd, then there is NO blue in the osd. I don't know much about this stuff beyond what I needed to learn to do the mod, but my guess is that I'm looking for a blown cap or a cold solder joint? Something in the blue drive circuit? As I said the problem presented suddenly but then the last time I went to turn the tv back on to take a picture it suddenly snapped back to normal.

tl;dr I modded a tv thru the old(dirty) switch method and now everything that's supposed to be black is blue thru my rgb input when its selected, but there's no blue in the osd when I switch it back to normal function. Seems like my hacked rgb input is getting all the blue for some reason.

any ideas/help would be appreciated, thanks.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

If in doubt about a color always test its resistance to ground. If its different to the other colors then fix it.
undone.evil

Post by undone.evil »

switches have physical contacts in them that get dirty/worn over time, i bet if you jumped around your switch it would work normally.

one thing i would suggest is that if you do the mux/mix mod and use the 5v from your external source to switch blanking that you put a diode inline. i have noticed on a couple of tvs that when the console is plugged in and off it pulls the signal low and causes issues with the osd and the other inputs.
RGB9000

Post by RGB9000 »

I am modding my GE 19" CRT for RGB input. I have one small issue, the TV is RF input only and I am struggling to find a sync signal. I was thinking of soldering to pin 37. Any thoughts? Thanks! Schematics: https://docdro.id/bQJ9s6P
llsique

Post by llsique »

Hello!

Could any good soul help me with RGB modification for this IC model?

* This IC is from a Samsung CL-21K40MQ television.

Thanks in advance!
BigBlue32

Post by BigBlue32 »

KnuckleheadFlow wrote:
Results were a near perfect RGB picture! I took some photos, but I wasn't satisfied with how those turned out TBH. I can try again later if people are interested. There's a purity or convergence issue in the upper right corner that I'll have to address but with no OSD being muxed by the PiP board I couldn't do it with the RGB input... or could I?

I've just finished this mod and it looks great! Thanks for the help. Only trouble is that now my picture is shifted a couple inches to the left.

For sync, I've tapped into the composite RCA jack, and ran it to a BNC connector.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... wIBPoHYdRJ
llsique

Post by llsique »

Hello people!

Could someone help me with modifying RGB (and if possible S-VIDEO) of a SAMSUNG CL-21k40MQ?

The chip diagram is below (it is a unique chip for micron and jungle).
Spoiler
Thanks in advance!
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

llsique wrote:Hello people!

Could someone help me with modifying RGB (and if possible S-VIDEO) of a SAMSUNG CL-21k40MQ?

The chip diagram is below (it is a unique chip for micron and jungle).

Thanks in advance!
I don't think this one can be modded for RGB input via Jungle injection. In my experience when these TDA935X/6X/8X jungles have their INSSW2 (pin 45) tied to a voltage line they are locked to Component input only.

S-Video looks possible though. Change the Service menu setting "10 AV Option" to "AV1/2/DVD/SV" and fill in the missing components on the chassis.

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
llsique

Post by llsique »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
I don't think this one can be modded for RGB input via Jungle injection. In my experience when these TDA935X/6X/8X jungles have their INSSW2 (pin 45) tied to a voltage line they are locked to Component input only.

S-Video looks possible though. Change the Service menu setting "10 AV Option" to "AV1/2/DVD/SV" and fill in the missing components on the chassis.

Looking at the TDA datasheet in question, pin 45 (INSSW2) has two states (0 - RGB and 1 - Video component). I believe that by interrupting the voltage applied to the pin today, the state becomes RGB and it would be possible to inject the RGB signal directly into the pins of the component video (the sync in the s-video luma).

Am I right or am I seeing something where it doesn't exist?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

llsique wrote: Looking at the TDA datasheet in question, pin 45 (INSSW2) has two states (0 - RGB and 1 - Video component). I believe that by interrupting the voltage applied to the pin today, the state becomes RGB and it would be possible to inject the RGB signal directly into the pins of the component video (the sync in the s-video luma).

Am I right or am I seeing something where it doesn't exist?
Those modes refer to the IE2 register in the chip’s I2C registers. You will find that the IE2 register is locked into YUV mode by the chip’s software.

krimstah

Post by krimstah »

Hi Guys,

Just found a KV-AR21M30 on the side of the road. Picture is great.

Anyone have a clue if this can be RGB modded or is it worth getting the new RGB2COMP when available?

Spec Sheet

https://diagramas.diagramasde.com/telev ... R21M30.pdf
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

krimstah wrote:Hi Guys,

Just found a KV-AR21M30 on the side of the road. Picture is great.

Anyone have a clue if this can be RGB modded or is it worth getting the new RGB2COMP when available?

Spec Sheet

https://diagramas.diagramasde.com/telev ... R21M30.pdf
Can’t be modded. RGB locked out in software. Lovely sets with great sound.

louisthemilkman

Post by louisthemilkman »

Any chance you ever took any pictures of the mod? I have the same set and while I think I understand what to do some pics of someone elses mod would bolster my confidence. Thank you in advance for you time.
kynrek wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote:
kynrek wrote: Composite and rgb are like night and day my only issue is that the rgb picture is pretty dim any ideas to fix the dimness? Could too much voltage to blanking cause dimming?
Remind me of the details of your set?

Sharp 36r-S50

https://elektrotanya.com/cgi-bin/downlo ... sn-92m.pdf
Zektor

Post by Zektor »

I have a Sony KV-35S42, and I’m hoping someone can look over this information and see if I’m understanding it correctly and answer a few questions. Note: I would like to use the menu when in RGB, so hopefully this is the Mux method.

I asked a fellow forum member with the same TV for some help, and he was able to provide a drawing on how to preform this mod.

Here is some Service manual info I found on the TV:

So based on this information, is this what I should do?

RGB Lines:
- Remove R1123, R1128, and R133 (390 Ω – resistors going to ground)
- Replace R1355, R1356, and R1357 (100 Ω) with jumpers (0 Ω)
- Replace C363, C364, and C365 (0.01uf) with 0.1 uf capacitors
- From the SCART connector (Pins 7, 11, 15): Connect each pin with a 75 Ω resistor to ground, and a 910 Ω resistor to OSD.

Question: Where should I connect to the OSD from the 910 Ω resistor? Should I connect to the area where I put jumpers on R1135, R1356, and R1357?

Blanking Line: (This is where I get confused)
- Replace R067 (470 Ω) with a 180 Ω resistor.
- Replace R1354 (220 Ω) with a jumper (0 Ω)
- Connect Jungle pin 6 (SVCC) with pin 15 (YS)

This is were I get confused. Isn’t pin 6 on the Jungle 9V? From the data sheets it looks like pin 15 is looking for 1.0-3.0V for blanking. Or am I reading that wrong?
Should I look at doing Blanking a different way? If so, how would I go about that?
I believe I've seen people take 5V standby power, and run it directly into the blanking pin (pin 15) with a switch. Is the method above better?

Sync Line:
- SCART pin 20 to S-Video Luma

Audio Lines:
- SCART pins 2 and 6 to L/R RCA on TV.

Question: Do I need to put a 1K Ω resistor in-line?

Do I need to add any on/off switches anywhere?
Thanks for any help I can get.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Not necessary to replace R1355, R1356, R1357 with a jumper. Just leave them in place.

Shouldn't need to replace C363, C364 and C365 capacitors. Can leave this to later anyway if you experience issues.

For blanking I'd just use 5V through a switch then into a 470 ohm resistor and connect to jumper JR1801. Otherwise leave blanking circuit intact.

Yes R1123, R1128 and R133 need to be removed but you should use 330R, not 910R. Connect to JR1802, JR1803 and JR1804.

> - SCART pins 2 and 6 to L/R RCA on TV.

> Question: Do I need to put a 1K Ω resistor in-line?

No.

SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Hello guys.. complete newbie to mod.. Syntax helped me with the newbie questions over PM...

I am looking to RGB MOD my Pelco monitors.. Bellow are pictures of one of the units chassis and the one that i will be using for testing (the screen has a scratch, F-up during shipping on this one).. I would like to use SCART on the monitors.. Please take a look at the pictures and let me know what is the best to go about it...If rising the legs on the RGB-in line on the jungle chip is best or somewhere else..

Pelco PMC21A TDA8842 S1
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... IzzBQ1kdBq

"All you need is 75R resistors and 100n caps and your done.

3 wires RGBS with resistors to ground and caps inline
1 wire blanking with resistor to ground
1 wire sync
2 wires audio
1 wire ground. "
The Future Is Now
Zektor

Post by Zektor »

MarkOZLAD wrote:Not necessary to replace R1355, R1356, R1357 with a jumper. Just leave them in place.

Shouldn't need to replace C363, C364 and C365 capacitors. Can leave this to later anyway if you experience issues.

For blanking I'd just use 5V through a switch then into a 470 ohm resistor and connect to jumper JR1801. Otherwise leave blanking circuit intact.

Yes R1123, R1128 and R133 need to be removed but you should use 330R, not 910R. Connect to JR1802, JR1803 and JR1804.

> - SCART pins 2 and 6 to L/R RCA on TV.

> Question: Do I need to put a 1K Ω resistor in-line?

No.
Thank you for your help!!! I was able to get the TV working with RGB and the menu. I have my SNES and MiSTer working on this set.

I do have one issue, and that deals with the blackness of the monitor. When the TV is powered on, and the Blanking switch is off (not sending the blanking signal), I have a nice deep black image. When I flip the Blanking switch on to allow for RGB, the TV gets brighter, and I don’t have the same deep blacks as before. Is there anything I can due to get the deep blacks along with RGB?

Also, I have an issue not related to the mod. I’m getting convergence issues on both the left and right side of the monitor. The center of the screen is fine. Could this be due to bad capacitors? Or would the purity disk magnets on the neck solve this issue? (or does that adjust the entire screen?)

Thanks again for the help. I’m so happy to get this working!
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Try turning down the sub brightness in the service menu.

Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Zektor wrote:I do have one issue, and that deals with the blackness of the monitor. When the TV is powered on, and the Blanking switch is off (not sending the blanking signal), I have a nice deep black image. When I flip the Blanking switch on to allow for RGB, the TV gets brighter, and I don’t have the same deep blacks as before. Is there anything I can due to get the deep blacks along with RGB?
Check the service manual for the set to see if there are separate RGB or OSD brightness/contrast settings.
llsique

Post by llsique »

Does anyone know if it is possible to do RGB mod on a Sony KV-29FA310? I believe the chip is the 65586MK-050FP-TR.

Thanks!
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

llsique wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to do RGB mod on a Sony KV-29FA310? I believe the chip is the 65586MK-050FP-TR.

Thanks!
This TV is a BA-6 chassis. It cannot be modified for an external RGB input by the Jungle injection methods we (mostly) employ here.

The Jungle chip in this TV does not have RGB inputs. It is a combined Micro-controller and Jungle chip so there is no way to hijack the On Screen Display circuitry as it is all contained within the chip.

thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

Hello fellow Muxers with way more knowledge than I. For some reason I am having a complete brain fart and can not wrap my head around the mux method. The snip/6pdt switch method I can do with ease, but who wants to do that these days? I attempting the mux mod on a Sony KV-27v66. I am going to stea from Zektor's prior post and post my questions in a similar manner. Thanks for the help.

Here is some Service manual info I found on the TV:

So based on this information, is this what I should do?

RGB Lines:
- Remove R086, R087, and R088 (680 Ω – resistors going to ground)
- From the SCART connector (Pins 7, 11, 15): Connect each pin with a 75 Ω resistor to ground, and a 840 Ω resistor to OSD. (This is where i get tripped up. I calculate 840 ohm from the mux calculator, but admittedly I don't exactly know how to use it.)

For blanking should I just use 5V through a switch then into a 1k ohm resistor and connect to jumper R316?

Once again thanks. My trying to understand this has just not been happening not from a lack of trying.
Spud

Post by Spud »

Hello all,
I read about a few successfully completed 27FS100 mods, and i found a nice 24FS100. Can someone point me too directions to proceed? I''m not seeing what I expect to see in the wiring diagrams, as far as RGB in. Is it possible that this TV from the same model line has a completely different IC setup? Here's the diagram from the service model. I see RGB going from an all-in-one IC chip to an RGB driver, then the tube.
https://i.imgur.com/PpQffuM.gif
Mitsubishi40

Post by Mitsubishi40 »

Hello, I was hoping you guys could give me some advice about a possible Rgb mux mod to my recently acquired Mitsubishi CS-40503. I got it for free on CL from an old man, and it was listed (and looks just like) as an AM4201R. Here is a link to the service manual:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kOwWw ... YLu5145qxH

Can this set be rgb modded? Where do I start etc. Should I do the mod a couple of times on a more disposable set first? My friend is an electrical engineer and will most likely be helping (performing) the mod.
zjAEA5qA6h

Post by zjAEA5qA6h »

I want to add composite input to an RF only TV.

I have a Magnavox PR1397 manufactured in 1997. A quick look at the board shows a TDA 8369. The very limited datasheet I found for the chip shows the following:

I can see that there is "External CVBS in" and "A/V switch input" available. The question is:

If I install an RCA input and wire it to pin 12, would it need to have a resistor in-line the same way RGB mod inputs usually do? Additionally, what would be a safe (to the unit) way of investigating something like this? As for the switch, I'm somewhat assuming/guessing that if I applied 5 volts to pin 28, it would likely switch between tuner and composite input.

Thanks for any info that can be provided.
TheRetromancer

Post by TheRetromancer »

So, I just picked up a KV-36HS510 for $20. Holy crap, what a monster.

I'm looking at the schematics right now, and the jungle IC (IC2801 in the schematic) does in fact have RIN, BIN, and GIN on pins 38, 37, and 36 respectively. So looks like I'll be able to hijack the OSD.

However, there's approximately 9 billion responses to this thread, and I was hoping someone could help direct me to the current 'correct' method of adding RGB input. I've skimmed the thread a bit and found some conflicting information, and this TV is heavy enough that I'd rather not have to drag it down to the dump after blowing it up.

Any help is appreciated.
"Thanks for the nice reply. I do offer to do work without hot glue too if people prefer it that way." - Drakon
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

Unfortunately you have a hd crt,it treats 240p as 480i and the picture is pretty bad,I would try and find a sd crt for modding for rgb.
theangryamoeba

Post by theangryamoeba »

I recently trash picked a Sanyo DS24425. It's a got nice bright tube and all of the inputs that i thought I would need. Composite, S-video and Component. Then I read about RGB.

I was able to find the service manual for the set, but i'm not seeing any RGB lines that I can tap. Can someone else take a look at this and let me know if I'm missing something obvious?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10zmhRo ... sp=sharing