Best Version of PS2, PS2 Modchip, and SNES?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware

SNES mini or original?

Mini
33%
Original
67%

Total votes: 39

fernan1234

Re: Best Version of PS2, PS2 Modchip, and SNES?

Post by fernan1234 »

I'd love to see it but I'm not holding my breath. Even software emulation for the PS1 is not perfect yet. It's gonna take FPGA a while to catch up. I still don't see Analogue ever doing it, but an upgraded Mister might get there some distant day.
hurda

Post by hurda »

Wolf_ wrote:There are still many libcrypt games in the USA region and not just PAL.
What NTSC-games would that be?
AFAIK LibCrypt was only used on PAL-games, and anti-mod was only used on NTSC-games.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

hurda wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:There are still many libcrypt games in the USA region and not just PAL.
What NTSC-games would that be?
AFAIK LibCrypt was only used on PAL-games, and anti-mod was only used on NTSC-games.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Wolf_ wrote:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
I've ran a few of the NTSC J games listed there and I never patched any for libcrypt...
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

fernan1234 wrote:
I've ran a few of the NTSC J games listed there and I never patched any for libcrypt...
Yeah I doubt the accuracy of this list, Libcrypt is pretty much just used on PAL games.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Lawfer wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:
Yeah I doubt the accuracy of this list, Libcrypt is pretty much just used on PAL games.
Some games work without patching, some do not, and some have surprises built in after they act like they are working. Doubt away, doesn't change the facts. Feel free to research it yourself if you have doubts instead of just saying you don't believe it without doing any of your own research.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Could it be that the protection used in those non-PAL games is different from the one used in PAL Libcrypt?
Wolf_ wrote:Some games work without patching, some do not, and some have surprises built in after they act like they are working. Doubt away, doesn't change the facts. Feel free to research it yourself if you have doubts instead of just saying you don't believe it without doing any of your own research.

Do you have any examples at all of non-PAL games that DO require patching to work on the PSIO? I've even played some of those to completion with no surprises. Maybe just go lucky.

In any case, even if you're primarily a PAL game user there are patches available here: https://consolecopyworld.com/psx/psx_patches.shtml
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

fernan1234 wrote:Could it be that the protection used in those non-PAL games is different from the one used in PAL Libcrypt?
Wolf_ wrote:Some games work without patching, some do not, and some have surprises built in after they act like they are working. Doubt away, doesn't change the facts. Feel free to research it yourself if you have doubts instead of just saying you don't believe it without doing any of your own research.

Do you have any examples at all of non-PAL games that DO require patching to work on the PSIO? I've even played some of those to completion with no surprises. Maybe just go lucky.

In any case, even if you're primarily a PAL game user there are patches available here: https://consolecopyworld.com/psx/psx_patches.shtml
Let me tell you a story about patching for libcrypt, it F**king sucks. Half the patches don't match the roms provided in the Redump/mame sets and will give you errors when you try to apply them. Then after you patch them you need to convert most of the games from cue and multi-bin to single bin and cu2 and then you can test them on the psio and good luck figuring out if there is an error at which point in the 7 step process you just went through it occurred.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Wolf_ wrote:Let me tell you a story about patching for libcrypt, it F**king sucks. Half the patches don't match the roms provided in the Redump/mame sets and will give you errors when you try to apply them. Then after you patch them you need to convert most of the games from cue and multi-bin to single bin and cu2 and then you can test them on the psio and good luck figuring out if there is an error at which point in the 7 step process you just went through it occurred.
Can sympathize with that pain. Converting games from multi-bin and cue to single-bin and cu2 is a piece of cake though, so that last step is nothing.

Sounds like the best thing to do is to simply avoid PAL games, since only a few NTSC games are reported to have libcrypt, and at least we know for sure that not all, if any, need patching. Again, do you know of any concrete non-PAL games that requires patching to work? Perhaps only one or two actually do, making this almost a non-issue.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

fernan1234 wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:Let me tell you a story about patching for libcrypt, it F**king sucks. Half the patches don't match the roms provided in the Redump/mame sets and will give you errors when you try to apply them. Then after you patch them you need to convert most of the games from cue and multi-bin to single bin and cu2 and then you can test them on the psio and good luck figuring out if there is an error at which point in the 7 step process you just went through it occurred.
Can sympathize with that pain. Converting games from multi-bin and cue to single-bin and cu2 is a piece of cake though, so that last step is nothing.

Sounds like the best thing to do is to simply avoid PAL games, since only a few NTSC games are reported to have libcrypt, and at least we know for sure that not all, if any, need patching. Again, do you know of any concrete non-PAL games that requires patching to work? Perhaps only one or two actually do, making this almost a non-issue.
I've yet to thoroughly test the unpatched ntsc-us games because of time constraints and also because some games have multiple versions even in the ntsc-us region both with and without libcrypt and I don't have any way of figuring out which version it is so maybe it is libcrypt free or maybe it works despite having libcrypt or maybe it will suddenly become unbeatable halfway through. It is a big project.