HDTV

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
OmegaFlareX

HDTV

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I'm finally going to make the jump to an HD set that will also be used for TV/movies/gaming. Our Circuit City hasn't been built yet (should be sometime next year), so my only option is sears. Poked around on their website and found this little beauty:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... 5742485000

A small CRT that does 720p? Gimme gimme gimme. Only thing that worries me is this: "CrystalScan HDSC™ upconverts all video signals to 1080i HD for smoother images"

With my basic knowledge of screen resolutions, this doesn't seem good, especially for older systems. 256x224 -> 1080i? Yikes. Anyone have any first-hand experience with a set that bumps up the res like that? Also, does this mean that everything will be stretched out to fill the wide screen? Again, older games will probably look like ass.

Additonally, I plan to get one of those SCART -> Component boxes to give a nice picture to my SNES/Saturn, etc. Can anyone reccomend a particular model?

Damn, now I wish I hadn't sold my Duo. :?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Hopefully it's user-selectable. Remember CRT's aren't stuck on one resolution like DLP, LCD and Plasmas are.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Just thought I'd bump this and let everyone know the set I linked is an absolute piece of shit. I bought one and returned it the next day. Turns out Toshiba CRT TVs aren't made by Toshiba anymore. They're made by some Taiwanese company that also manufacture B-brand stuff you see in K/Wal-Mart. Basically, you're paying for the Toshiba name only - there's an Orion TV inside.

Huge disappointment.
D

Post by D »

also to everyone, especially in the Netherlands.
Beware of HDTV-ready sets. These are not DHTV, but merely able to convert HDTV signals to smaller resolutions.

I'm not saying don't buy, just know that it's not a true HDTV set. This should be taking into account when checking for prices, etc.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I've not heard good things about CRT HDTVs. I was actually looking at buying one secondhand from someone at work (a 27" Panasonic model) until I found multiple (as in 15+) reviews on Amazon for the model indicating that the sets had failed within a year. Currently I don't own a TV (but I can use consoles on my Dell 2001FP) and have been looking around, but have proven rather indecisive, and thus haven't bought one yet (the fact that I really don't watch a lot of TV in the first place may have something to do with it too.)

I'll probably end up getting one eventually, and it will most likely be an LCD. The ViewSonic 2750w seems like a likely candidate...
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
SAM

Post by SAM »

My idea is HDTV is not worth owning. Since very few TV channels are actuall boardcasting at high resolution.

The only time your HDTV is running at high resolution is when you watching DVD. The truth is you can connect your DVD player to most PC monitors (less the Low Res RGB monitor you use to play shmups) at progressive scan mode. And PC monitor is much cheaper than HDTV.

I personal connect my DVD player to a Sony 21" CRT monitor (520GS) and a set of PC speaker. The whole setup cost only US$265. 8)
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

The reason I'd buy an HDTV is that I don't currently have a TV, and at this point I'd rather be able to handle the newer standards. It's true that there aren't a lot of HD channels now, but eventually everyone will be broadcasting in HD. That and the fact that the next gen consoles will run in native 720p. Besides, I really don't want to try to haul a big CRT around...
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
SAM

Post by SAM »

Vexorg wrote:Besides, I really don't want to try to haul a big CRT around...
You can just use a LCD monitor with low reaction time.
Vexorg wrote:That and the fact that the next gen consoles will run in native 720p.
This might be true, but remender someone of this forum states that HDTV would optimize the inputed singals before displaying them on the screen. This process optimization might take up to 0.5 to 1 sec.

While this is not a concern for watching TV or DVD, but when you try to play some interactive game like shmups, you would found the shot come out 1 sec after you press the fire button. :? And you would hear KABOOM and then 1 sec later you would see your craft going down in flame... :lol: Ah, that would not be the case, since the HDTV would delay the sound output for the same amount of time. Anyway, I think you got what I mean. :wink:

Even trough the next gen consoles would support native 720p, HDTV would still be ill suited for vedio gaming, I would rather conect my next gen consoles to my trustworthy Sony 520GS for instact action display. :o
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*