Help reviving a dead Wii that won't turn on

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
austin532

Help reviving a dead Wii that won't turn on

Post by austin532 »

Anyone know some tricks on how to bring back a dead Wii that won't turn on? I suspect it overheated as evidenced by the heat marks on the metal shield. I tried a different power supply so it's not that. I sent it to Nintendo to get it repaired but they said they couldn't fix it. Whether they can't fix it or don't want to fix it is questionable. It is way past the warranty. Whenever I hold the power button you can hear a faint "tick tick" noise coming around the fuse. I wonder if it's something simple as replacing it. I never dropped it, never got wet, and was well maintained.

If it can't be fixed, it's no big deal but it would be nice as I have some VC games and save data that can't be transferred to another Wii.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
gray117

Re: Help reviving a dead Wii that won't turn on

Post by gray117 »

Presume it's nuked itself... so even if you get something powered it might just not work...

Instinctively ticking and overheat sounds like the fan is broken - after all what else should be moving?

If power's getting to the fan it might imply power supply remains ok... though not at all familiar with the wii architecture...

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+W ... ement/3459

... if it's not the case of getting the fan working [perhaps there's a safetly trigger - fan doesn't work console doesn't turn on]

And you replace the fan and fan works but still nothing happens - you're then having to try and diagnose what's fried and replace that... tbh at this stage it's probably forensic work time and perhaps the stage nintendo got to before throwing in the towel...

... I think if you registered your wii nintendo might be able to transfer your account and replace your wii, if not ... yeah doesn't look hopeful you'll ever get that back...

... Even cannibalizing the memory from this broken wii (and soldering it into a working one) that stores the profile/games won't help if the account/games are truely tied to some kind of other hardware identifier? ... Sorry very little real knowledge of wii workings...
austin532

Post by austin532 »

I doubt it's the fan as I've never had one of those go out on me or anyone else. I suppose anything's possible though. Even if the fan is dead it should still kick on for a few seconds and then shut off for overheating safety reasons.

When I plug it in I do get the red LED light to come on so it's getting some power. So maybe the fuse is good? I'm not sure either. It's a big mystery.....
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
Tranquilite

Post by Tranquilite »

The only thing i can think of off the top of my head that will cause a Wii to become unbootable is the bluetooth module malfunctioning. That seems to be the most common hardware failure that can cause a Wii to not boot. That and the Wifi module too I guess.

The first step i would take would be to try unplugging then replugging in those modules to see if it is merely a connection issue, then perhaps try buying replacements (they seem to run for about $5 each on ebay) if you feel like taking the monetary risk for what may or may not actually be your problem.

I suggest googling to see if other people who were able to fix their Wii by replacing the bluetooth module had Wiis that were experiencing the same issues.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Alright, so I'm back to beating a dead horse. Decided to tinker with this Wii one last time. Same issues as before. Won't turn on but has a red LED.

One thing I did notice though is if I remove the Bluetooth module the LED turns yellow which is standby mode. I try turning it on and still no luck. It just blinks red if I hold the power button down along with those faint tick tick noises.

I bought a replacement module so we'll see what happens.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Tried replacing several parts on the system and no luck. Have no clue as to why it wont boot up. I just don't get it...