Resolution (split from Raiden III)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Recap wrote: So couldn't it be that the game is low-res designed and the hi-res (interlaced) mode is upscaled from the original display, much like DC 3rd Strike?
Interesting, I didn't think about that. How could I tell if it is upscaled and not originally 640 some-odd lines and scaled down for non-interlaced mode? Since the specs say it could render internally in hires, I just assumed its easier to display every other line when in non-interlaced mode.
Recap wrote: Whatever you find out, that won't be a true-low res (15 kHz, non-interlaced) mode on any AW or Type-X game but Chaos Breaker. Think about it.
I totally understand what you are saying here, and this may indeed be the case, but its really easy for me to see whats non-interlaced or not on my cabs, and I could have sworn Dolphin Blue looked non-interlaced at 15khz. I'll take a closer look next time (if Gozur brings it to the next shmupmeet).
Recap

Post by Recap »

Dave_K. wrote:
Interesting, I didn't think about that. How could I tell if it is upscaled and not originally 640 some-odd lines and scaled down for non-interlaced mode?
If it's upscaled from low-res, the pic will be pixel-doubled (and, most likely, filtered). I assumed it was natively hi-res since the first Driller is. A snapshot for me to see could help to clarify once and for all.

I totally understand what you are saying here, and this may indeed be the case, but its really easy for me to see whats non-interlaced or not on my cabs, and I could have sworn Dolphin Blue looked non-interlaced at 15khz. I'll take a closer look next time (if Gozur brings it to the next shmupmeet).
Direct screenshot. True hi-res graphics. 15 kHz non-interlaced is not possible here without doing almost a whole new game.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

True hi-res graphics. 15 kHz non-interlaced is not possible here without doing almost a whole new game.
Why do you write this? Are you certain the hardware doesn't have the ability to cut the vertical resolution in half for a 15KHz non-interlaced screen?
Recap

Post by Recap »

Given the hardware's scaling features, I'm certain that it has that basic "ability" indeed. I'm also certain that its software doesn't make use of it, thoe. It's just nonsensical to put the effort on drawing hi-res graphics to make the system render half the lines.