LCD Burn-In (Image Persistence)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mannerbot

LCD Burn-In (Image Persistence)

Post by mannerbot »

This is just to serve as a general warning to those looking into buying LCD monitors or LCD televisions. It seems that most people believe that one of the big advantages of LCD's is that they cannot suffer from burn-in; however, as I now know from first-hand experience, this is simply not true. My Dell 2001FP now has the outline of a window burned into it after maybe a week of use, and it's frustrating to say the least.

Here's a website that'll help if your monitor is suffering from the same problem mine is:
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_ind ... -burn.html

Also, I have read that the stuck pixel fixer for PSP (basically a seizure-inducing video that flashes red green and blue) will help here too. I'm running it on my monitor right now, hopefully it does the job.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Sorry to hear that. :? Plasma is well know of that problem (Don't play shmup on them, unless you want "PLAYER 1 HIGH SCORE PLAYER 2" burned on the screen....)

LCD and CRT got this problem too, but it takes more time to left an image. I think many of us have seen CRTs with the word Raidan burned on it... :) Not until you said, I am not realized that leave such an image on LCD is quite easy too. :?

I always thought Plasma and LCD are not for vedio gaming, they got fixed pietix resolutions (causing screen distortion), they got slow reaction time (leaving a long tails for fast moving object), image got easily burned on the screen, and finally they are $$$ compare to a CRT.

I understands that, the TV to play vedio game usually is also the TV to watch TV. But I am someone who goes for a delicated TV (Monitor) for gaming, since I found that there is always more family members who want to watch TV than family menber who want to play games...

If you are willing to pay, a 29" 15kHz to 31kHz CRT monitor w/ RGB input can easily be found. (15kHz = Standard vedio game input; 31kHz = VGA input)
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Nothing beats a good CRT. Best price, best picture. Too bad LCD, and plasma are still so expensive, because either would be nice to have. (they *are* pretty cool ;)) In any case, I'd still go CRT even if I had unlimited funds to spend. Just a shame CRT's nearly impossible to acquire past 32"...