GARO - Universal Component Video Transcoder with Scanliner

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strygo

Re: GARO - Universal Component Video Transcoder with Scanli

Post by strygo »

Mine arrived a couple of days ago and I'm having my own set of issues.

I've been seeking a solution that allows me to connect GC, PS2, Xbox and Wii to my W-Hydra SCART switch. I had problems with the V1 Garo and certain content. I took DirkSwizzler's advice and have been running the V1 Garo via HD15 to the Kenzei. This works for 240p/480i/480p content, but does NOT work for Xbox 720p/1080i content. I've been seeking a solution that also supports these modes.

At some folks' suggestion, I've also tried the Extron CVC 300. The positives of that device: it handles all resolutions. The negatives: it doesn't automatically handle 480i and 480p content. You need to use a tiny dial on the front to toggle, so it isn't seamless. It also uses BNCs which make it require more cabling.

Given the redesign, I was also hoping the V2 Garo was the ideal solution. The short of it is that it continues to drop sync for 720p/1080i content through my switch. I hapharzardly tried also connecting it through the Kenzei and toggling its polarity jumpers and neither worked. I've been planning to do more systematic testing or rely on someone else sorting things out.

As a minor quibble, I do like the new metal case compared to the old plexi style, but the paint job is disappointing. There is a paint drop on the top cover that looks unpolished.
eddiethewheel

Re: GARO - Universal Component Video Transcoder with Scanli

Post by eddiethewheel »

A disheartening reply to say the least:

First of all we've sold more than thousand units of Garo. There can be always some incompatibilities with some devices. However it's developed based on the IC manufacturer's reference design on its datasheet. We added everything missing before and improved it as much as possible. We have tested it on more than 40 monitors/displays so far. It works flawlessly even on the cheapest PC monitors. Also we tested most of the converters on the market. That issue appears on some displays but not always, on the other converters have it too. Some of these converters even display shaky images which can't be stopped, however when the display is changed, returns to normal. I can recommend you to use an Extron RXi 203 interface or using the VGA output directly. You can watch the following video also to get an idea.
https://youtu.be/d9T0zpV5rTk
Also you can read this review:
https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... er-review/
Thanks.

Best Regards,
Yossi
Beharbros.com