GARO - Universal Component Video Transcoder with Scanliner

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
beharius

GARO - Universal Component Video Transcoder with Scanliner

Post by beharius »

FROM THE DESIGNER OF HANZO AND TORO HERE COMES A NEW MONSTER...

GARO - THE UNIVERSAL VIDEO TRANSCODER

GARO is a multi purpose, universal component video converter for your favorite consoles. It takes Component (YPbPr) video signal, and outputs VGA (RGBHV) or RGBS (Scart) video without compromising video quality. It's a 1:1 transcoder, not an upscaler, so it outputs what it's fed, from 480i to 1080p.

It's designed for the consoles with component video output capability like the original XBOX, XBOX360, PS2, PS3, GC and WII. So you can now play these consoles on your VGA monitor or TV. However what makes the GARO unique is its Scanliner function. GARO can add scanlines to the image, this is a great feature if you are playing retro games on these modern consoles. You can also adjust the thickness of scanlines or choose odd or even scanlines too.
GARO can output RGBHV via its VGA port or RGBS via its SCART connector. So you can use it with your upscaler like the XRGB Mini too.

NOW IT'S TIME TO GIVE A NEW LIFE TO YOUR BELOVED CONSOLES...

We are currently doing the final pcb tests so it will be launched very soon. It will have the same high build quality you would expect from the BBS.

http://www.beharbros.com
Kyle

Re: GARO - Universal Component Video Transcoder with Scanli

Post by Kyle »

beharius wrote:It's a 1:1 transcoder, not an upscaler, so it outputs what it's fed, from 480i to 1080p.
Potentially stupid question time. I have an arcade monitor that's VGA and 640x480 max res. Would this be useful in this case or the game res would exceed that for GC PS2 etc?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

This will work just fine on your monitor.
beharius

Post by beharius »

Some consoles like XBOX or GC have boot up intros in 480i which may not be displayed on non compatible displays.
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Sounds promising. Can't wait to hear more.
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Am I safe in assuming this wouldn't work backwards?

As in, VGA to component?
Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan...
Das Muel

Post by Das Muel »

Sounds cool. I'm still using my GBS8220 to transcode with my original Xbox to a Trinitron PC monitor. Built-in scanlines are a bonus. Shame about the 480i though (PS2).
I am the geezer from the Retro Muel Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIg73A ... u89QcCBD3A
beharius

Post by beharius »

Yes only component to VGA, not backwards. It's another project...
Laughingman.s9 wrote:Am I safe in assuming this wouldn't work backwards?

As in, VGA to component?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Great idea, right now there's only really the Startech and Keene transcoders that are readily available. The Startech one has issues with a weird colour band on some games and the Keene won't support anything greater than 480p. I'd definitely be interested in purchasing and reviewing this.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Yes only component to VGA, not backwards. It's another project...
I would say that RGBHV to Component is much more needed these days with VGA disappeared from most TVs by now.

If you're working on this (or even just brainstorming) make sure that the input works with RGBs, RGsB and RGBHV.
beharius

Post by beharius »

Yeah, you are absolutely right, it will have both Scart and VGA inputs and compatible with all resolutions. I have a working prototype in the cards. The only problem is I couldn't manage to add scanlines to its component output.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

and VGA inputs and compatible with all resolutions. I have a working prototype in the cards. The only problem is I couldn't manage to add scanlines to its component output.
at which stage did you try to add the scanlines ? Adding scanlines to the RGBHV input before feeding the signal into the transcoding IC should work. You might have to play with the sync polarities and possibly switch the polarity after the scanlines have been added but before you start transcoding.
beharius

Post by beharius »

I've tried it before transcoding. Thanks for you advice. I will do more experiments on that.
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

beharius wrote:Yes only component to VGA, not backwards. It's another project...
Laughingman.s9 wrote:Am I safe in assuming this wouldn't work backwards?

As in, VGA to component?
This is the one I'm looking forward to, keep us posted, I'll be the first to buy one on release
Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan...
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Safe to say, I am interested in this for use with the XBOX alone for use on VGA monitors. It beats having to get a 480p CRT TV. (Of which there are next to none).
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I want one.

But I have no use for one :(
cjug

Post by cjug »

Interested in this. However, isn't it more useful to have it upscale the "i"s to the next "p"s?

Like 480i->480p, 1080i->1080p.

And only transcode the native progressive signals.

That way you could use any CRT VGA monitor without having to worry about the interlaced signals of some consoles/games.
beharius

Post by beharius »

That makes it technically more complicated and pricey. It will cause some degradation too.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

beharius wrote:Yeah, you are absolutely right, it will have both Scart and VGA inputs and compatible with all resolutions. I have a working prototype in the cards. The only problem is I couldn't manage to add scanlines to its component output.
That will be a very desirable product. Even if it doesn't add scanlines.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Delta81

Post by Delta81 »

I'll definitely be grabbing one of these when they come out. It'll be a perfect way to connect 480p component sources to an Emotia unit. I've considered getting the Startrack one but I've heard there are some compatibility issues, as Bucko has said.

Anyway, I still have my Toro and love it. If the Garo will be as high quality as my Toro I'll be happy!
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Not sure what the point of this is, to be honest, since component is very common on displays, while RGBS is quite rare. All of my displays have component inputs, but only my PVM has RGBS. What is the typical use case for this?
Delta81

Post by Delta81 »

Guspaz wrote:Not sure what the point of this is, to be honest, since component is very common on displays, while RGBS is quite rare. All of my displays have component inputs, but only my PVM has RGBS. What is the typical use case for this?
Perhaps if you wanted to play your Wii, original xbox or a PS2 game running in 480p on a computer monitor. Or if you wished to hook any of those sources up to an Emotia unit, or to pass through an Extron RGB unit. I'm sure there are other uses for this that I'm just forgetting.

I agree, a RGBHV to component transcoder would also be very useful, but for my purposes at least a good component to RGBHV transcoder would help immensely.
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Will these be out for xmas?
beharius

Post by beharius »

It can be used on arcade cabs, like for the Xbox + LCD display setup. Also great for the virtual console titles on the Wii. On some displays image quality can be sharper than component, since VGA is handled better. Also Its main feature is the scanliner function.

I am waiting for the final prototype which is on the way. Then we will start production. It can be shipped in December. There were some errors in the pcb design, this caused a slight delay.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

*shrug* my computer monitor has component inputs, although with 100ms of input lag, it's not great for gaming. I guess I could see it as being useful for getting input into some sort of scaler or processor that only supports RGBHV, but that seems to be a rather narrow use case compared to the opposite.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

I am really happy with my TORO and the GARO seems like it would be a perfect match to go along with my NEC XP37. I will buy this item as soon as it becomes available for purchase.

And for you other people on the fence about buying the item, you can rest assured that beharbros.com is outstanding in quality and in customer support. They stand behind their products and will help you out if you have any questions.
The_Atomik_Punk!

Post by The_Atomik_Punk! »

Will the GARO have RCA audio breakouts for those planning to use it with PC monitors + separate speaker system? This looks right up my alley; a solution to use the PS2/XBOX with MAME on a PC CRT monitor- great work beharius!
LEGENOARYNINLIA

The_Atomik_Punk! wrote:Will the GARO have RCA audio breakouts for those planning to use it with PC monitors + separate speaker system? This looks right up my alley; a solution to use the PS2/XBOX with MAME on a PC CRT monitor- great work beharius!
Will it really need those as you will be using console component cables anyway?
beharius

Post by beharius »

Thanks for your kind words and support.

There is no separate audio output jack. Component cables already have audio. Its RCA audio jacks are audio inputs for the Scart output.(pass through)
The_Atomik_Punk!

Post by The_Atomik_Punk! »

beharius wrote:Thanks for your kind words and support.

There is no separate audio output jack. Component cables already have audio. Its RCA audio jacks are audio inputs for the Scart output.(pass through)
Ah, that makes perfect sense- I didn't really think that one through...

One final question beharius that's hopefully not as dim, how will the GARO handle outputting widescreen (16:9) PS2 content via VGA on a 16:10 LCD computer monitor? Would it output the exact resolution, and therefore be letter-boxed on a monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1200 (16:10 aspect ratio)?