Question about Sony PVM vs Arcade Monitor.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Zaid

Question about Sony PVM vs Arcade Monitor.

Post by Zaid »

Ive been looking for a Sony PVM to hook up all my retro systems, snes, genesis, ect., locally and having a hell of a time finding one. What I want to find out is can I use a arcade monitor since you can generally still buy them new (or at least I can find more of those locally than the pvm), and what would I need to hook up my systems to it.

Thanks!
famiac

Re: Question about Sony PVM vs Arcade Monitor.

Post by famiac »

Well, depending on the type of arcade monitor, you would need a custom enclosure (i wouldn't want the pcb exposed), and a custom/Jamma to RGB scart harness (or whatever standard you want). You'd have to mention what monitor specifically to get real help.
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

That brings me to my next question, what kind of arcade monitor should I look for, cause from what I read not all arcade monitors are the same no?
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

I found this earlier today and was wondering if this could work, pretty much all I need it to do is just display the image, is it that simple or is there more to it. lol sorry if I sound really noobish. Thanks for the help so far.
city41

Post by city41 »

Arcade monitors are completely exposed, and they expose some very high voltage/dangerous internals. So you'd need to encase it something.

Arcade monitors take raw RGB and sync, which most consoles output via SCART. So you'd just need a cable that goes from SCART to the connector for the monitor (which varies by monitor). That thing you found looks kind of like a supergun, it's not at all what you need.

You will want a 15khz arcade monitor, or a multisync one that can do 15khz.

But, to be honest, I don't recommend this route at all. PVMs are hard to find, yes, but not impossible. You can also get a nice Trinitron TV, Amiga monitor, Commodore 64 monitor, or a PC VGA monitor and use a line doubler.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Zaid,
I have tried a few things and here is something that might not sound right to you but after spending some $$$ and finding out how things look and and play.. For the best bang for your $$$ and overall experience based on cost get two PC CRT monitors 22". Put one sideways for your shmups and use emulators for everything, MAME, NES, SNES, ETC. At the end of the day the total amount of money that you will spend will be about $200 for the monitors. Use the rest of the money to buy a cheap PC with a Gooovymame compatible video card.. next buy a PS2 gamepad, the fighting street fighter type and a PS2 to PS3 USB connector to connect that to the PC and an arcade stick PS3/360.

I had one of these and it is fantastic PC monitor... it is like a PVM but no 15 or 24khz.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LaCie-Electron- ... 2a56f3d95c

If you want to explore more and have the $$$ keep an eye for one of those 25 to 29" NEC, or Mitsubishi monitors. just keep looking. They are great for anything.. when I robbed, I mean purchased my NEC from a fellow member.. it felt weird to play games on that big screen since I had the 20" PVMs but I can tell you now that a 20" PVM/BVM is just to small.. I guess that my taste changed or I got used to it. Sounds like a female right:)

For arcade games or PCB and MAME..if you want to explore more - look for an autosync multiform arcade monitor (a member did a review on a 25" that is available now on eBay $500 with shipping), the D9800 is what I also robbed, I mean purchased from a member which looks fantastic:)... you will still have to deal with making a box because those things a naked and if you ask anyone to make one for you prepare to pay $300-$400 plus shipping if not local. Trust me I tried to get someone to make one for my D9800 and I ended up making a sorry box but it does the job.

But the end result would be a Candy cab. I just got two of them from a member which cost $$$ but they are fantastic:)

Overall...with what I know now and experienced.. I would go with the two 22" CRT PC monitor hands down and save a lot of $$$$:). I know...crazy right:)
The Future Is Now
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

Thanks for the reply's guys you've all been a huge help!!
@city41
Yeah I was gonna try to build some kind of housing for the monitor if I still wanna go that route but like you said that adapter wont work. So the more I think about it the more I'am probably gonna shy away from it lol. Yeah Iam thinking way to much hassle trying to find something to jerry rig to scart is probably to much time I wanna spend. Yeah I didn't want to go the supergun route either. Yeah I'am also looking for a nice trinitron as well to play with my systems that use component, Ill look into those other monitors your recommended as well. One thing though whats a line doubler and what does it do exactly?

@snk-neo-geo
Yeah thats on the list of things I want to make to a mame cabinet as well lol. I was checking those NECs out they look really nice, Ill defintally keep an eye out for one of those in my travles. I got a bunch of old PCs and parts lying around that Iam hopeing I can put one together or at least close to build one together. As for that PC monitor I had no idea they made them that big, which is nice cause where I live I dont really want anything bigger than 25 hence I gotta pass on all the 30+ size tvs I stumble upon on craigslist. Maybe one day when I get a house :lol: As for building an enclosure I like to think Iam pretty decent at making stuff, so that would be a fun project in itself. Hopefully Ill be able to steal...err buy :wink: something in the future.

In conclusion both you guys were a huge help and gave me alot ideas, so Ill probably continue my search for a PVM and Trinitron tv but if some of this stuff both you guys mention pops up Ill definitely have to give it some consideration.

Again huge thanks!!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I was seriously thinking about building my own Mame arcade cab but decided to go the Japanese candy cab route instead. After settling on a Taito Egret II with a dual-sync 15.7 & 24 kHz Nanao MS9 arcade monitor setup, it's super razor sharp to be able to play those cool standard Jamma low-res 15.7 kHz arcade PCBs on it. Plus with the ease of being able to rotate the monitor either in tate (vertical) or yoko (horizontal) screen orientation mode, it's easier to do with one hand if it needed be (due to Taito's slick arcade monitor rotating mechanism). Considering that they're in great demand these days and do command a high/hefty price, they seldomly do appear for sale (it's just a matter of keeping your eyes open and jumping on one if it goes on sale -- blink and you just might miss it).

For greater versatility, I use both an Ultracade uVC {aka Universal Video Convertor} (for consoles like the Sega Dreamcast and the the Xbox 360 consoles with the usual VGA output afforded of them) and a viletim's Scart to Jamma adapter (for use with the older classic gaming consoles like the NEC PC Engine Duo RX, Sega Genesis, Atari Jaguar, Super Nintendo, Sega 32X, Sony Playstation 1/2/3, etc. with a handy Japanese 21-pin RGB or a Euro Scart cable setup and you're good to go in that department -- just add your favorite pad-hacked console controls and wire them up to favorite candy cab's front mounted control panel and it's all gravy from that point on). So by going with a dedicated Japanese candy cab setup, you get the best of both arcade PCBs and classic console gaming on just one cab. How cool is that?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

Thanks for the reply PC Engine fan. These are all pretty good suggestions, Ill have to keep this in mind for when ever I build my arcade unit. Quick question the Ultracade uVC and the viletim's Scart to Jamma adapter, can I get them to work strictly as a means to just out put just video? I just wanna hook up my systems to it like a normal tv or will I need the pad hacks to go with it? Either way thanks for all the info greatly appreciated!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The above mentioned uVC and viletim's Scart to Jamma devices are used with any arcade game cab that has Jamma installed from the get-go along with a low-res 15.7 kHz arcade monitor setup. If you're asking if they be of any help between your favorite console and an RGB monitor, they won't be of any use going that route. Your best bet would be to score an NEC XM-29 monitor as they can handle any signal thrown at it and display it beautifully.

The pad-hacks would be used to get the console's game controls hooked up to a arcade cabinet's control panel if you use either setup mentioned above, otherwise you'd use your favorite gaming controller hooked up to said console and use an Japanese 21-pin RGB or Euro Scart cable coming from the A/V port of gaming console and hooked up the backside of the CRT-based RGB monitor.

I have a MAK (Multi Arcade Konsole) mini supergun hooked up to a 13" Amiga 1080 monitor and it accepts low-res 15 kHz signals like a charm. An Amiga 1084S monitor works equally well with the added benefit of having stereo speakers from the get-go.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

Coo coo, well that settles it, the arcade monitor is a no go then from what you mentioned. Looks like way to much trouble than its worth lol. Yeah that NEC is really nice, but tuff to find from what Ive seen. I currently got my eye on 2 pvms on ebay right now, there priced decently with shipping, the only issue I got is its not local so Iam taking a big chance on not being there to test it my self so Iam being really hesitant about it. Oh wells Iam gonna check out a local thrift store tomorrow and hopefully luck out and find a decent TV to use in the mean time, hoping for a Trinitron. Thanks again for the help PC Engine Fan!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Avoid shipping CRTs if at all possible. On eBay, first try to sort by distance, if that's too restrictive, ask your first choices about freight shipping. I managed to get a PVM FedEx'd 550 miles, and it survived, but barely. It was very well-packed too.

Don't forget to look up your classifieds and auction pages, like dovebid, Public Surplus, etc. - these can give great hits but you need to be close in order to pick them up, if the seller won't allow somebody else to ship them for you.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

The NEC, they are very nice... there is a joker on eBay that wants 3k for his.. I contacted the seller to let the seller know that I also have an NEC and if he/she finds a buyer for 3k and to let the buyer know that mine is for sale as well:). A member posted his NEC XM29 Plus in my local craigslist for $300. I jumped right away and stole it for $300.. when I went to pick it up, the seller mentioned that the NEC needed time to warm up, to give a great picture but till this date I have not noticed any of that.. the monitor gives a great picture as soon as I turn it on.

The Egret II, yes keep your eyes open and yes if you blink, you will miss it.. I have been looking for about 6 months but I was not expecting to find two Egret II in such a great shape and great seller. The funny thing is that in my area a Candy cab is extremely rare. If I put the Egret II in my local craigslist, they would not last five minutes. I hope that I would never have to do that due to my financial obligations.
The Future Is Now
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

@Ed Oscuro
Yeah I was afraid of that, sadly no ebay listings near me :cry:
Ill defintally check those places you listed thanks!

@SNK-NEO-GEO
Thats a nice arcade machine, I wish I had the room for that bad boy. As for that NEC you lucked out for that price!!! Hopefully I wont blink and find something :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replys guys!!