UltraHDMI - HDMI Upgrade Kit for the Nintendo 64

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
andykara2003

Re: UltraHDMI - HDMI Upgrade Kit for the Nintendo 64

Post by andykara2003 »

Looks fantastic! How would this mod + LCD/plasma compare to a decent CRT + THS-7314 mod? Would the resulting images be roughly equal in quality?
Mark

Post by Mark »

marshallh wrote:
Mark wrote:This is radical. One question: does the installation of the UltraHDMI kit prevent use of the multiout connector or the RGB mod? I'd love to work both into one N64 for complete functional portability between CRTs and flatscreens.
Both can work at the same time. If you have the HDMI plugged in, the transmitter is turned on, there may be some barely perceptible interference on composite since the connectors are in close proximity.
Of course once you unplug HDMI it's disabled and you get 100% original output. The spltiscreen above I captured using that method.

The original RGB mod (where you just amp the existing analog rgb lines) won't be affected by this, so long as the wiring doesn't get in the way. Now, Tim's RGB mod taps some of the same digital lines as mine, but does so at the DAC where it's easier to solder. My FFC runs over that area so Tim's mod would need to be carefully wired with thin gauge wires laying flat from the point of attachment (not sticking up). I've not tested our mods together but they will probalby both work.
Thanks for the response, duder. I only planned on using one at a time, but having both available makes the system that much more useful should I need to cart it around to multiple locations (I'm designing a portable hybrid analog/digital recording studio).

I'll probably jump for a pro-modded console and then do the RGB mod myself, since I feel confident in handling that (done it before) but not this new HDMI mod.

Good luck and I hope to see more news soon! :)
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

marshallh wrote:Also, I've been telling installers this but it bears repeating here: I cannot help people with installs. If you get a DIY kit the onus is on the person you bought it from to provide you with support and replacement parts if need be. I'm not sure why anybody would want to sell bare kits to people (that road ain't pretty :) but they can do whatever they want.
Aside from aligning and soldering the Kapton ribbon PCB to the RCP and two caps, are there additional solder connections for the kit? It would be excellent if you could share more pictures to help gauge the installation difficulty. I've mentioned before that a Kapton/ribbon pcb solution for the N64RGB installs would make it extremely easy, as the DACs that do not output analog RGB are close to impossible to solder to as the pin pitch is <1mm (e.g. MAV-NUS).

Also, is the HW essentially finished?
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

andykara2003 wrote:Looks fantastic! How would this mod + LCD/plasma compare to a decent CRT + THS-7314 mod? Would the resulting images be roughly equal in quality?

Im curious about that myself.
If they can get the de-blur filter working I think going the lcd route would be the way to go.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Taking a closer had a look at the footage on my 46" flat panel and taking into account the fact that it's a Youtube video, it becomes apparent just how good this mod is. I doubt it's going to match my Loewe CRT - but that's not the point - for flat panels, nothing's going to beat that for N64 gaming.

Definitely going to buy this anyway, just out of general curiosity & the enjoyment of tinkering. Price seems reasonable considering the amount of time he's put into it and the limited market...
spaceape

Post by spaceape »

Will the UltraHDMI still look better than RGB through the multiout even when turning off all the processing for zero lag? Im guessing that the "Sharp Pixels" and the "VI De-Blur" processing makes the biggest difference to the image. I wonder how much lag this adds? 16ms no matter what filter/processing you use from the menu?

Also is there a way to route the UltraHDMI signal through the multiout so as not to cut a hole in your N64. I don't care about the HD resolutions.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Outputting standard definition video doesn't change the number of pins HDMI requires to work, and HDMI requires more pins than the Nintendo multi-out connector has.
quadratic

Post by quadratic »

Can the UltraHDMI be installed in an already RGB modded N64? And if so does the RGB mod still work, meaning I can choose to connect my N64 through either the multi-out or hdmi?
And out of curiosity, would using both outputs at the same time work?
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer »

quadratic wrote:Can the UltraHDMI be installed in an already RGB modded N64? And if so does the RGB mod still work, meaning I can choose to connect my N64 through either the multi-out or hdmi?
That should be possible. If you have one of the newer revisions of the N64 you need to have the RGB board soldered to the DAC (which is what is recommended in the manual), as UltraHDMI connects to the RCP. I am not sure how badly the wires will be in the way though..
Im guessing that the "Sharp Pixels" and the "VI De-Blur" processing makes the biggest difference to the image.
I think the sharp pixels option is integer scaling of the image, which is exactly what the RGB mod does anyways.

I would be interested in seeing the "VI De-Blur" performed on an RGB board. Unfortunately we are not really sure what Marshallh does to achieve the "VI De-Blur".
zakruowrath

Post by zakruowrath »

quadratic wrote:Can the UltraHDMI be installed in an already RGB modded N64? And if so does the RGB mod still work, meaning I can choose to connect my N64 through either the multi-out or hdmi?
I had emailed Marshall a year ago about having Tim Worthington's N64RGB board in with the UltraHDMI installed and this is what he emailed me back:
They wire up to the same electrical nets, though it looks like his mod connects to the video DAC, while mine solders straight onto the RCP pins (same signals, different point)
As long as his mod doesn't introduce too many parasitics due to the long wires, both may work.

Marshall H. 11-06-2014
So in theory it should work since they solder to completely different chips, guess we will have to see when they start being installed in the coming months.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

BuckoA51 wrote:I'm on the reseller list and I'm down for getting an initial batch and will be selling as DIY kits and (with a bit of luck) offering a fitting service too. I was initially just going to get five and see how they sold but if people want to PM me their interest I may order more.
When do you think you will be receiving one. I could order two of those five if you need to offset costs.

I smell a group buy coming :mrgreen:
Copyright 1987
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Badassconsoles has the fitting service available now if anyone is interested. On his twitter you should be able to find a link to a live install he did, which is an easy way to judge quality. I do know it's the same guy who made component cable boards for like $40 back when you could still import some of the MX chips from China.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Out of stock! I've not heard a peep from Marshall about ordering them yet, hopefully not much longer.
When do you think you will be receiving one. I could order two of those five if you need to offset costs.
Except I'm in the UK so that's not really going to work in this instance.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
keropi

Post by keropi »

Badassconsoles is totally reliable , he is the same guy making the GC stuff ... his quality/skills are top-notch
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Looks like he gets a new batch in tomorrow

https://twitter.com/BadAssConsoles/stat ... 6288645120
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
dylanlip

Post by dylanlip »

One big question, integer scaling for 1080p. Yay or nay?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Hmm, maybe Marshall is selling to US installers first. Still, not in the best frame of mind to deal with it right now anyway.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

BuckoA51 wrote:Hmm, maybe Marshall is selling to US installers first. Still, not in the best frame of mind to deal with it right now anyway.
Yeah very sorry to hear about your situation Bucko. You'd think the statute of limitations would have run out on decades-old consoles but apparently not...
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I know it's kind of cheeky posting this here (hope I don't get a telling off from a mod) but, I'll chance it as I wanted to say I have just one single, solitary N64 HDMI upgrade board still in stock if anyone wants one and can DIY fit (won't be able to offer a fitting service until at least January 2016). You can grab it here - http://www.videogameperfection.com/prod ... ade-board/

Before anyone bemoans the price, let me remind you these aren't cheap to import into Europe what with import fees, handling fees, non-sterling transactions fees etc, I'm not getting rich off the back of this by any means.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

Do you know support 1080x1920? The widescreen code are avallable with gameshark.
juji82

Post by juji82 »

I am looking for a kit actually. If anybody got one up for selling, please pm me :mrgreen:
scottmog

Post by scottmog »

juji82 wrote:I am looking for a kit actually. If anybody got one up for selling, please pm me :mrgreen:
I was unaware they are already available.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

scottmog wrote:I was unaware they are already available.
Videogameperfection (Bucko's site just a few posts above) and Badassconsoles have both had them in at various points. Seems like manufacturing is nowhere near meeting the demand right now, so if you want one you'll have to keep a close eye on everything.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

So, anyone any idea why it's so difficult to get in touch with Marshall lately? Been trying to contact him for several days now about a potentially faulty board but e-mails just get ignored.

Update - NM he just got in touch with me, he was just backlogged.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Do all of the filters add the 1 frame of lag? Or just some of them?
Mantis128

Post by Mantis128 »

Is the UltraHDMI able to carry the pro logic surround sound signal that was used for some games like Ocarina? If it does would it be compatible with modern receivers that accept sound over HDMI?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Yep, that's basically just encoded in the stereo audio so pretty much any receiver can decode it for you.
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

I am also installing these. The ones I have now are spoken for but I will be ordering more with the next available batch. If anyone happened to get one from Game-Tech.us when he had them for sale and finds it to be more daunting than anticipated let me know. Mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

I can say the pins are much smaller than they appear in the install videos out there. I am working on getting an install video together soon. Just received a customer's system tonight.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

Not trying to necrobump this, but I do have kits in hand right now, as well as more coming in the next batch. In case anyone is looking to get one of these installed.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

is there any way for using de-blur with the ultrahdmi and 64dd games?