UltraHDMI - HDMI Upgrade Kit for the Nintendo 64

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Decoryah

Re: UltraHDMI - HDMI Upgrade Kit for the Nintendo 64

Post by Decoryah »

So has anyone actually installed UltraHDMI along with Tim Worthington's RGB mod to same console and can confirm that it works? I'm trying to find info if it can be done and if there are any specific things you must know beforehand.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Decoryah wrote:So has anyone actually installed UltraHDMI along with Tim Worthington's RGB mod to same console and can confirm that it works? I'm trying to find info if it can be done and if there are any specific things you must know beforehand.
I have done two consoles, so can confirm it works.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

It does?? :shock:

I was told they were incompatible, both due to being extremely difficult to fit together and because the UltraHDMI caused noise on the RGB mod, is this not the case then?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

BuckoA51 wrote:
It does?? :shock:

I was told they were incompatible, both due to being extremely difficult to fit together and because the UltraHDMI caused noise on the RGB mod, is this not the case then?
Yep. I did one for myself a while back. And also modded one for RetroRGB. You have to keep the clock signal on the RGB mod very short. So you can't use the normal install method.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Has anyone noticed any minor noise in the audio out of the ultra HDMI? We're talking very minor crackles, you'd probably miss them most of the time, but on quieter sections you can occasionally notice it.

We've tried multiple boards, different consoles,different TVs, different HDMI cables, but the issue is still there from time to time.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

BuckoA51 wrote:Has anyone noticed any minor noise in the audio out of the ultra HDMI? We're talking very minor crackles, you'd probably miss them most of the time, but on quieter sections you can occasionally notice it.

We've tried multiple boards, different consoles,different TVs, different HDMI cables, but the issue is still there from time to time.
My guess is noise/reflection on the audio lines. You could try wrapping the FFC cable with kapton and then some foil tape. Or if you are feeling dangerous you could try adding some series termination resistors on the source side (Would be rather difficult) or maybe parallel resistors on the destination side.
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer »

It may also be the audio processing of UltraHDMI. Earlier firmware versions had similar noise problems. I think the newer firmwares have better audio processing, but it may still be suboptimal. From what I have seen, it is not that simple to make a good sample rate converter.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Can confirm we're on latest firmware. Maybe we're just being too picky then?
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer »

It is a bit difficult to judge without any example footage/audio, but I think it is indeed the processing.

Also, I can imagine that some samples are not exactly high quality on N64 due to the limited cartridge size.
creib

Post by creib »

citrus3000psi wrote:Yep. I did one for myself a while back. And also modded one for RetroRGB. You have to keep the clock signal on the RGB mod very short. So you can't use the normal install method.
ooo interesting, any more info about how you did the install? an alt board location? do you mean keeping the clock wire short?

was hoping to tackle a timRGB and ultraHDMi myself once the preorders ship

thanks!
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

creib wrote: ooo interesting, any more info about how you did the install? an alt board location? do you mean keeping the clock wire short?

thanks!
I mount the board on the bottom of the motherboard:

(This is one of tim's early revisions, so it doesn't have pads for the PAD / RESET)
In this pic the clock signal is taken from the top of the motherboard, but its better to grab it from the bottom. There is a via that is just south of the board. Also before I put the case on, I put a piece of foam on the FPGA to make sure it does not come loose.

creib

Post by creib »

fantastic thank you!
strygo

Post by strygo »

My positive experience with the GCHD has piqued my interest in the UltraHDMI. I'm trying to get a sense of the best way to pick one up. I see some very high priced units on eBay and that BadAss Consoles seemingly has some in stock. I'm definitely not skilled enough to attempt my own mod. I'm stateside and need an additional console as well. Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer »

strygo wrote:My positive experience with the GCHD has piqued my interest in the UltraHDMI. I'm trying to get a sense of the best way to pick one up. I see some very high priced units on eBay and that BadAss Consoles seemingly has some in stock. I'm definitely not skilled enough to attempt my own mod. I'm stateside and need an additional console as well. Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.
I would advise not to order from BadAssConsoles. Looking at Twitter, it seems he is either taking very long to do the UltraHDMI installs, or he is not doing anything at all.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Yes I've not been able to get in contact with him since Jan 2nd, hope he's ok.
strygo

Post by strygo »

Thanks for the heads up. So what's a fair price for a console in good condition with the kit installed? $350-$400 shipped feels perhaps a bit high, but given the price of the kit itself, not outrageous. Some of these prices that they are selling for on the eBay on the other hand...
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

In my opinion: not more than $250.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

borti4938 wrote:In my opinion: not more than $250.
Borti is on the money

Standard Gray Console: $65
Kit: $150 (This is Jason's price, not sure what standard price is)
Install: $40
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

strygo wrote:Thanks for the heads up. So what's a fair price for a console in good condition with the kit installed? $350-$400 shipped feels perhaps a bit high, but given the price of the kit itself, not outrageous. Some of these prices that they are selling for on the eBay on the other hand...
I urge you to try the RGB mods first before going all in with the HDMI kits, especially if you have an OSSC or Framemeister. Some of the N64 games are incredibly dated in the gameplay department and HDMI output can't fix that.

I have an N64 with Tim's RGB kit and Borti's firmware and I'm quite pleased with it. The games that I did play extensively on the N64 back in the day look and play exactly as I remember them. There were some other games that I never got around to playing and it was just hard to get into them as they've evolved so much over the past two decades.
creib

Post by creib »

citrus3000psi wrote: but its better to grab it from the bottom. There is a via that is just south of the board.
would you be able to point out the clock via?
thanks
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Had yet another complaint of audio crackle with the UltraHDMI, this time on an NTSC console.

This is starting to bug me now, anyone know where Marshall is? No reply from him in weeks :(
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer »

Are you on firmware 1.07a, rather than 1.07? Marshallh has confirmed there were some audio issues with 1.07.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Quite everything seems to be absolutely awful:
- communication (e.g. heard here the first time that a new firmware 1.07a is available)
- support
- availability of kits

The only positive thing is the UltraHDMI itself.
FBX

Post by FBX »

meneerbeer wrote:Are you on firmware 1.07a, rather than 1.07? Marshallh has confirmed there were some audio issues with 1.07.
Does anybody know what revisions have audio issues? De we know for certain that 1.07a doesn't?
kel

Post by kel »

borti4938 wrote:Quite everything seems to be absolutely awful:
- communication (e.g. heard here the first time that a new firmware 1.07a is available)
- support
- availability of kits

Couldn't agree more. You would think that he would at least answer emails regarding issues like this, would save people a lot of time when trying to work out what's causing it.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

borti4938 wrote:Quite everything seems to be absolutely awful:
- support
- availability of kits

I agree communication could be better, but I just wanted to say that marshall actually does have his own forum with a specific thread for the UltraHDMI:-
https://retroactive.be/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7
Its not very well advertised (The thread title was never even updated to mention the name UltraHDMI!) so likely very few people have come across it.

...Still hoping we will one day see an "N64Dual" which offers both HDMI and RGBS/YPbPr.
Last edited by Link83 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Link83 wrote: I agree communciation could be better, but I just wanted to say that marshall actually does have his own forum with a specific thread for the UltraHDMI:-
https://retroactive.be/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7
Its not very well advertised (The thread title was never even updated to mention the name UltraHDMI!) so likely very few people have come across it.
He also does not left a post there once he has an update. Would love to see some important links (e.g. installer guide, firmware guide, latest firmware download) on the main page of the UltraHDMI: http://ultrahdmi.retroactive.be This would be enough IMO.
Link83 wrote:...Still hoping we will one day see an "N64Dual" which offers both HDMI and RGBS/YPbPr
It's on my todo list an will go to highest priority once the menu for the N64A is "finished" ;)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

borti4938 wrote:
Link83 wrote:...Still hoping we will one day see an "N64Dual" which offers both HDMI and RGBS/YPbPr
It's on my todo list an will go to highest priority once the menu for the N64A is "finished" ;)
Ooh! I can deal with S-Video till that comes out.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Is it a known issue that scanlines are quite uneven in PAL games when using the UltraHDMI?
unmaker

Post by unmaker »

citrus3000psi wrote:
creib wrote: ooo interesting, any more info about how you did the install? an alt board location? do you mean keeping the clock wire short?

thanks!
I mount the board on the bottom of the motherboard:

(This is one of tim's early revisions, so it doesn't have pads for the PAD / RESET)
In this pic the clock signal is taken from the top of the motherboard, but its better to grab it from the bottom. There is a via that is just south of the board. Also before I put the case on, I put a piece of foam on the FPGA to make sure it does not come loose.

What is that purple PCB on the multi out? I don't think that's included with Tim's kit?