How does the GC on WiiU video output quality compare?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jamisonia

How does the GC on WiiU video output quality compare?

Post by jamisonia »

So now that the Wii U's vWii has been hacked to play Gamecube games, and is compatible with the GCN controller adapter, has anybody compared the quality of its output to that of an original GCN with component cables? I know the GCN's output was supposed to be better than the Wii for Gamecube games. Seems like it could be a pretty convenient solution to play the majority of GCN, Wii and Wii U games all on one system with high quality video outputs.
broken harbour

Re: How does the GC on WiiU video output quality compare?

Post by broken harbour »

Wha? Link please.

Can the WiiU even read GC discs?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Maybe he's talking about Nintendont?
jamisonia

Post by jamisonia »

I am talking about Nintendont

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=927094

My understanding is that the vWii will output in whatever resolution the Wii U is set too. So I believe you should be able to output GC games at 480p, so no upscaling done by the Wii U, and you're getting digital audio, via HDMI. You can then feed this into whatever 480p scaling solution you prefer. The question remains are the non resolution specific attributes of the Wii U's digital output comparable to the Gamecube? Or does it suffer from the lower quality seen in the Wii?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I could show you a comparison between the Wii's output and the WiiU's output of Gamecube games, since I've been curious to try Nintendont myself, but I was not blessed with Gamecube component cables in my youth, so I can't show any comparisons there.

Personally I'm not a fan of non-disc-based homebrew loading solutions, so I wouldn't use Nintendont regularly. Same problem I have with PS2 homebrew, it's all about hard drive loading, except here it's a physical limitation of the WiiU's disc drive.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I have both and have been using Nintendont as of late on my Wii U. HDMI is nice but don't expect any upscaling magic. The Wii U widescreen setting is awesome though. You get a picture that isn't a full widescreen stretch, but is enough that it isn't a 4:3 image. It doesn't look stretched like you would expect.

Example:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/4WEvXUf_YFY/maxresdefault.jpg

Aside from that you get:
- SD/USB loading
- Wii U Pro Controller Support
- Cheats
- Internet game saves via Dolphin
bobrocks95 wrote:Personally I'm not a fan of non-disc-based homebrew loading solutions, so I wouldn't use Nintendont regularly. Same problem I have with PS2 homebrew, it's all about hard drive loading, except here it's a physical limitation of the WiiU's disc drive.
I don't understand this quote. I hate optical media (despite having a ton of games).
jamisonia

Post by jamisonia »

I'm not looking for the Wii U to do any upscaling. I would set it to output at 480p and let my upscalers do the work.

Its been documented that the Wii's component output for Gamecube games is slightly more blurry than the Gamecubes, both over component in 480p. Think of it similarly to 1 CHIP SNES vs original models. I've heard this same thing said about the newer non GCN compatible Wiis vs older Wiis when it comes to Wii video quality output.

http://retrorgb.com/gamecubevswii.html

I was hoping maybe using Nintendont the Wii U's 480p output via HDMI would be as good if not better than the GCN, with the added bonus of getting digital audio via HDMI without having to mod expensive GCN component cables.
Sixfortyfive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

I expect (but am not certain) that the Wii U's HDMI output would be as good or better than the Gamecube's component output simply because there's no digital-to-analog conversion required. Pretty sure that's where the quality loss comes into play otherwise; the DAC in the Gamecube component cable is purported to be better than the DAC in the Wii, whereas you don't need to involve a DAC at all for the Wii U if you're using HDMI (component would be a different story).
antron

Post by antron »

OP, in the neogaf thread you linked someone states that the WiiU outputs a superior image to both Wii and GC.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Kyle wrote:I don't understand this quote. I hate optical media (despite having a ton of games).
Having a bunch of games in a list on a hard drive doesn't make me feel like I own them. Same reason I don't like flash carts. It's a very costly way to feel, I wouldn't recommend it.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

I feel the same way. Also, when I have a large list of games to choose from I usually end up not playing anything.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

kamiboy wrote:I feel the same way. Also, when I have a large list of games to choose from I usually end up not playing anything.
Same here, it's as if you just stacked your entire gaming backlog in a pile. The size is daunting in a way, and even selecting a game feels like work.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Yup, first world problem if I ever saw one...
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Kyle wrote:I don't understand this quote. I hate optical media (despite having a ton of games).
Having a bunch of games in a list on a hard drive doesn't make me feel like I own them. Same reason I don't like flash carts. It's a very costly way to feel, I wouldn't recommend it.
I'm the opposite, I want everything available on hardware with the best possible picture at the tip of my fingers.

Every stupid revision, every demo. I want it all.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

kamiboy wrote:I feel the same way. Also, when I have a large list of games to choose from I usually end up not playing anything.
Here's a very OCD solution to this that works for me.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2110.0

Open shmups folder
Select random game from much smaller list
Enjoy

Don't get me wrong. I have several large storage bins filled with games - especially for older generations like NES/SNES. I like playing on real hardware, meticulously cleaning carts, SCART, all that jazz.
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

Sorry for the bump.

Recently an internal HDMI solution for the GC was released and it is supposed to better than external HDMI adapters.

Did somebody compare this new solution with WiiU's Nintendont?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

kassj0peja wrote:Sorry for the bump.

Recently an internal HDMI solution for the GC was released and it is supposed to better than external HDMI adapters.

Internal GCVideo for the GameCube has been around for at least a couple years now; are you referring to that, or to something new? (Do you have a link?)
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

nmalinoski wrote:

Internal GCVideo for the GameCube has been around for at least a couple years now; are you referring to that, or to something new? (Do you have a link?)
Isn't he talking about GCDual?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Lawfer wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

Isn't he talking about GCDual?
If he is, my point is that it's not new anymore; it predates the external HDMI modules.
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

Sorry, I thought the internal ones are newer than the older ones. What is the best solution and can a Nintendont WiiU compete with the best GC solution?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

kassj0peja wrote:Sorry, I thought the internal ones are newer than the older ones. What is the best solution and can a Nintendont WiiU compete with the best GC solution?
Not really if you're aiming for the best. With the Wii U you're not only stuck with limited range 16-235, but Wii and GC games are displayed incorrectly (something about the internal scaling it does? I forget the details). It is convenient that you get HDMI right out of the box though.

Right now the only alternative that matches the best GC solution is the WiiDual (which uses GCVideo for the Wii's output).
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

kassj0peja wrote:Sorry, I thought the internal ones are newer than the older ones. What is the best solution and can a Nintendont WiiU compete with the best GC solution?
Forget Wii U, the best is either GameCube w/ GCDual or GCHD Mk-II

or Wii w/ WiiDual (most Wii can play both GC and Wii games), you can either play from GC and Wii game discs or use softmod to play games from external hardrives (trough the USB 2.0 of the Wii).