Question about Sony PVM (total newbie inside)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
johnwoo14

Question about Sony PVM (total newbie inside)

Post by johnwoo14 »

Hi everybody,
recently I've been searching for a good crt to play my old console (mainly Saturn, Dreamcast, AES, Gamecube) and, since I have space problems on my desk, I was keeping an eye to 14" monitors.
BMVs monitors are unfortunately too pricey for me but I found a PVM-14N1E that I could take for 50€. Since I'm a total newbie when it comes to monitors (I've always connected my consoles to CRT TVs via RGB scart cables), I have some question I would like to be answered before I make the deal:
1 - Is this a good quality monitor for retrogaming? Is the price right?
2 - I noticed the monitor has video input via bnc and s-video connectors. My idea is to connect my consoles using s-video cables. Is this a good idea? Will I get a good image quality?

Thanks you in advance for your advice! :wink:
mchay

Re: Question about Sony PVM (total newbie inside)

Post by mchay »

You need to locate a monitor with RGB inputs. Especially when you mention having been used to connecting your console via RGB - it would be a step down to do composite/s-video.
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

S-video is good quality but it would be much better to go through RGB. RGB gives you the best quality possible via an analog connection. It would be a step down to buy a PVM and then hook up your consoles via S-video cables.

If you already have RGB SCART cables, great! Find a PVM in your price range that supports RGB, then use an RGB SCART to BNC cable like this one to connect your consoles.
johnwoo14

Post by johnwoo14 »

Thanks for your answers!
I think the pvm model I spotted does not support RGB, since it only has these connectors:

Am I right?

Thanks!!
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Correct.

From left to right: S-Video in/out, composite in/out, audio (mono) in/out, and line b has all three, in only.

You want one that has the trio of G/Y, B/Pb, R/Pr, plus Sync.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

If you want the best image then you are going to want to connect your consoles through rgb, which means you are going to want a different 14 inch monitor like the sony pvm146nu. If you just want to use s-video then im sure that monitor would suffice and still give you a good quality picture. Although the price might be a bit too high.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

tacoguy64 wrote:If you want the best image then you are going to want to connect your consoles through rgb, which means you are going to want a different 14 inch monitor like the sony pvm146nu. If you just want to use s-video then im sure that monitor would suffice and still give you a good quality picture. Although the price might be a bit too high.
Correct if I'm wrong, but there's no way you can obtain 480p out of RGBS. Component is your only solution anything beyond 480i, especially for PS2-era and above consoles. Plus, RGBS is only analog.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Actually you can. As long as the monitor supports a 480p/31khz signal then rgbs can do 480p.
I didn't know this either until they told me here.
johnwoo14

Post by johnwoo14 »

Thanks everyone for your answer! I think I'll pass on this pvm model and will wait till I have the chance to pick up a rgb-enabled pvm :wink:

Thanks!
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

beatsgo wrote:
tacoguy64 wrote:If you want the best image then you are going to want to connect your consoles through rgb, which means you are going to want a different 14 inch monitor like the sony pvm146nu. If you just want to use s-video then im sure that monitor would suffice and still give you a good quality picture. Although the price might be a bit too high.
Correct if I'm wrong, but there's no way you can obtain 480p out of RGBS. Component is your only solution anything beyond 480i, especially for PS2-era and above consoles. Plus, RGBS is only analog.
RGBs can carry 480p, but there isn't a system that outputs it normally. If a system outputs VGA you can use adapters to get that to be seen as 480p on some monitors. As far as most consoles are concerned, component is required for 480p.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I think the PVM is definitely worth getting if you can get the price down to like 10 Euros or something. S-video looks really good in my opinion, I used it for a long time on my PVM until I started making RGB cables for my old consoles.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

And at least three of the consoles the OP mentioned will use S-Video.
johnwoo14

Post by johnwoo14 »

Einzelherz wrote:And at least three of the consoles the OP mentioned will use S-Video.
So I could take that PVM (at a lower price...) and connect my consoles via s-video and still get a very good result?
Which console won't take advantage of s-video connection?

Thanks!
ckong

Post by ckong »

johnwoo14 wrote: So I could take that PVM (at a lower price...) and connect my consoles via s-video and still get a very good result?
You have space problems on your desk, which means that you will probably never go and buy a PVM with true RGB capabilities. You will regret that forever (take our word for it). So do yourself a favour and pass on this one. :D Just my opinion of course, but hey, I'm a RGB addict, as are most retrogamers here.
johnwoo14

Post by johnwoo14 »

ckong wrote: You have space problems on your desk, which means that you will probably never go and buy a PVM with true RGB capabilities. You will regret that forever (take our word for it). So do yourself a favour and pass on this one. :D Just my opinion of course, but hey, I'm a RGB addict, as are most retrogamers here.
Damn, I'm changing my mind again... :mrgreen:
If only I could find a PVM with rgb at a good price... I've seen a BVM-14M4DE listed at 140€ but sounds damn expensive to me :roll:
nissling

Post by nissling »

Where do you live?
You may want to look out for the M2 series. They're relatively cheap and easy to find in Europe. Great quality for starters as well.
johnwoo14

Post by johnwoo14 »

nissling wrote:Where do you live?
You may want to look out for the M2 series. They're relatively cheap and easy to find in Europe. Great quality for starters as well.
I live in Italy, which is unfortunately a sort of third world of consumer electronic :cry: so it's very difficult to find these type of monitors at reasonable prices
Do you think that a BVM-14M4DE at 140€ is actually overpriced?

Thanks!
donluca

Post by donluca »

johnwoo14 wrote:I live in Italy, which is unfortunately a sort of third world of consumer electronic :cry:
As a fellow italian, I can only concur :(
so it's very difficult to find these type of monitors at reasonable prices

Thanks!
Way overpriced.

I got a BVM 14M4DE and a PVM14M4E for 50€ each on subito.it
Keep an eye open on these websites. They are risky as they offer no protection (unless you pay with paypal, obviously), they're like Porta Portese.

Try doing a search on Google, limiting the results to italian pages.
From my experience, I can tell you that it's not worth for us to buy outside Italy as shipping costs become really, really high.
johnwoo14

Post by johnwoo14 »

Thanks for your tips donluca :wink:
Yes I took a look at both subito and other similar marketplaces but unfortunately I didn't find any good offer :roll:

Thanks!
ckong

Post by ckong »

Have patience, you will not regret it.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

ckong wrote:Have patience, you will not regret it.
This is pretty much the only way to play this game, unless you happen to have too much money.
johnwoo14

Post by johnwoo14 »

Einzelherz wrote: This is pretty much the only way to play this game, unless you happen to have too much money.
Sad but true :roll:

Thank you guys for all the replys. I'll keep you posted should I spot some nice offer :wink:
donluca

Post by donluca »

Even though prices for professional monitors have skyrocketed on eBay, I'd still suggest to put an alert up for PVM and BVM monitors.
Something may come up when you least expect it!
nissling

Post by nissling »

johnwoo14 wrote:I live in Italy, which is unfortunately a sort of third world of consumer electronic :cry: so it's very difficult to find these type of monitors at reasonable prices
I'm from Sweden and thought the same way, but then after searching at eBay.de regularly I found that several good deals came up now and then, so within less than two months from searching I had one PVM and two BVMs at rather affordable prices. All bought from international sellers. Sold my PVM though, it was a great piece of monitor but I had too many at that point.

A 14" at 140€ is too expensive imo. If it was 20" however, then I'd say you should give it a thought.