Replacement joystick for Famicom ASCII Stick?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
daskrabs

Replacement joystick for Famicom ASCII Stick?

Post by daskrabs »

I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I'd like to find a replacement for the stock joystick in the Famicom ASCII Stick:

It's a great stick, but not for shooters. Not accurate enough. It feels a bit like a mini JLF. Does anyone know if there's a Seimitsu or similar stick that would be a little more ideal for FC shooters?
azmun

Re: Replacement joystick for Famicom ASCII Stick?

Post by azmun »

Hmm, looks like a quality stick. If you're looking for an alternative, I suggest two other options:
1-Micomsoft's XE-1 Pro FC
2-any number of arcade grade PlayStation joysticks via Tototek adapter (allows you to use PlayStation controllers on the Famicom)

I recently acquired Micomsoft's version for the Mega Drive/Genesis (XE-1 ST2) and have become an instant fan. I'd like to assume the Famicom (and PC Engine versions are similar if not identical). These are highly regarded sticks and despite their small appearance, have an amazing feel, design and response. The stick itself is reportedly made by Seimitsu and has a very short throw (ideal for shooters).
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

I recently got my hands an ascii stick like this in the topic with the idea of modding it with a 8bitdo padhack and play Switch/PC games.
The overall condition is right and buttons and stick work properly. The problem comes with the stick that has some rusty points in the lever and I would like to replace it completely . Althought it is a Seimitsu, it is not regular size and even a LS-56 doesn’t fit the narrow box nor the LS-40 I also have at home.. I had read somewhere it was fitted with an LS-32 but it is not the case, the information was wrong.
Any information about the exact seimitsu stick to find a replacement or any other small stick to try to fit in the box? Maybe a LS-33?
Working in the japanese language achievement
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

jandrogo wrote: Any information about the exact seimitsu stick to find a replacement or any other small stick to try to fit in the box? Maybe a LS-33?
Pics?
andy251203

Post by andy251203 »

I have one of these ASCII sticks and can chime in about it.

The joystick is clearly made by Seimitsu, but it is unique and replacements don't exist.

The joystick is mounted directly to the enclosure with no mounting plate. The screws are underneath the enclosure's artwork, so you would either have to peel off the ASCII stick artwork, or cut out holes in the artwork where the screws are.

With that said, you can remove the joystick shaft without removing the entire joystick. My shaft was rusty, so I sanded it down with some medium-grit sand paper and then polished it with brasso. Looks brand new.

These sticks are somewhat rare and expensive so I would frown on anyone who mods one. If you don't like the way it plays, then just build a custom arcade stick and wire it for NES.
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

If you can't remove the stick but can access the components you could change the microswitches, shaft, spring, and or gate. Without pics it is hard to tell what you can and cannot do, but you should be able to do something without destroying it.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Been looking for a decent Famicom stick that can be modded with a Seimitsu for a while myself. Was able to get most of a Seimitsu stick into a Capcom Fighting Stick (which has FC and SFC cables) but it doesn't feel very good. Since I have an AV Famicom, I think I'll just get a raph.net SNES>NES adapter and use a Seimitsu modded SFC stick.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Probably too shallow to fit a replacement stick. Should be able to either swap parts or modify parts though. An easy mod to reduce slop is to use some heat shrink tubing on the actuator to bulk it up and cut down on the deadzone. Any chance you can post a picture of the guts?