Professional/Broadcast monitor hunting.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BazookaBen

Re: Professional/Broadcast monitor hunting.

Post by BazookaBen »

Brad251 wrote:I also want to note that I am optimistic of getting a PVM or some sort of professional monitor from one of my major local electronics recycling centers. I almost wasn't going to call the recycling center but figured I might as well try. I called, they directed me to the head guy's voicemail and I left a voicemail saying that I was looking for a pro monitor and would pay money for it. The next day, another employee there called me, asked me for specific models I was looking for and he said he would look and send me an email when he came across the models I was looking for. I said I was looking for PVMs and BVMs. I couldn't believe how nice the guy was and how willing he was to help me. He also said that I could test out any models that I wanted. I wasn't the first person that called them looking for CRTs. The guy said he has several people he deals with semi regularly that buy arcade monitors and various other CRTs from them. I also called another local electronics recycling center and had the exact same experience. A person called me back, I told him what I was looking for and he said he would call me if anything came up.

So, for anyone reading this, I highly recommend calling your local electronics recycling center if you are looking for a pro monitor.

Wow, awesome story! You would think that once it's in the recycling center, it's too late. Or that the employees wouldn't care.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Brad251 wrote:I also want to note that I am optimistic of getting a PVM or some sort of professional monitor from one of my major local electronics recycling centers. I almost wasn't going to call the recycling center but figured I might as well try. I called, they directed me to the head guy's voicemail and I left a voicemail saying that I was looking for a pro monitor and would pay money for it. The next day, another employee there called me, asked me for specific models I was looking for and he said he would look and send me an email when he came across the models I was looking for. I said I was looking for PVMs and BVMs. I couldn't believe how nice the guy was and how willing he was to help me. He also said that I could test out any models that I wanted. I wasn't the first person that called them looking for CRTs. The guy said he has several people he deals with semi regularly that buy arcade monitors and various other CRTs from them. I also called another local electronics recycling center and had the exact same experience. A person called me back, I told him what I was looking for and he said he would call me if anything came up.

So, for anyone reading this, I highly recommend calling your local electronics recycling center if you are looking for a pro monitor.
Awesome! I'll have to do that.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Sony PGM-2710 for $200 for the folks in DC

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva ... 57885.html

They look mint.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Darn those look nice.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

That's the same area I got my x2 37" Monitors from. I wonder if its the same company?

I had to have mine freighted from Washington DC to Bellingham WA.

It worked if anyone is on the fence about freighting them. As long as you opt to use the padded metal shipping containers it works quite well.

Coast to coast only coasted me 480 bucks for 800 lbs of tvs and packaging.

Those are sweet
Copyright 1987
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Those ones in DC are like VGA-ish monitors though, right? Only Dreamcast (and similar?) plays on them - no 240P content without some sort of converter? (did a quick search on them last night and that's what came up).
Last edited by Dochartaigh on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

They are the same company/people from the 37" Mitsubishi. The monitors from the outside look mint.. They can not do 15khz..

They are nice people to deal with.. Buy with confidence.
The Future Is Now
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Fuck, my bad guys. I guess you could still hook up a FM or OSSC. I just saw how nice they looked and decided to post it on here and on the neo forums to hook some people up.

The guy who I bought my NEC XP37 plus from, told me that the they where used in the white house or pentagon. Thought that might explain the RGB monitors in that area.
dak1

Post by dak1 »

I thought I'd let you guys know about the monthly CRT Listings thread over at reddit.com/r/crtgaming. We had some pretty good listings last month including a BVM-D32 for $500 w. 24k hours on it.
Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comm ... arch_2017/
mheyman

Post by mheyman »

Would you guys risk picking up a D20F1U with 130k hours?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

mheyman wrote:Would you guys risk picking up a D20F1U with 130k hours?
Depends on the price, location and condition.
mheyman

Post by mheyman »

GeneraLight wrote:
He wants 500, and I can pick it up locally. Not sure about condition, looks fine in photos.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

mheyman wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:
He wants 500, and I can pick it up locally. Not sure about condition, looks fine in photos.
I know these monitors could go on for a long time but I think 130k hours is close to that limit. I would have to go see it in person and test it out to make sure there's nothing bad. If everything checks out good, you might be able to have him drop the price a bit.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Afaik the screen getting replaced doesn't reset the counter.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

I've seen monitors with 18,000 hours that looked awful and ones with over 100k that looked perfect. If the monitor has a recent tube replacement and the caps have been changed, it'll still look great. You'll definitely want to check it out in person though.

Also, as Einzelherz said, the D-series hours is the total counter for as long as it's been in standby mode. It won't reset if the tube was replaced.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

retrorgb wrote:the D-series hours is the total counter for as long as it's been in standby mode.
Does only the D-Series do this? We had this conversation over at Reddit earlier this morning and I tested my BVM-14F5U - when in standby mode (hit the front power button to turn it off, front LED changes to red, but the power switch in the back is still turned on), the hours on the F5U don't count up unless it's actively on and running.
mheyman

Post by mheyman »

Thanks for the responses guys. The monitor is like an hour drive from me. Still debating on what to do.

In the meantime does anyone have experience with Barco? Specifically the CVM-3051. Is the quality comparable to a Sony BVM? PVM? I can't seem to find any info on the line count.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Dochartaigh wrote:
retrorgb wrote:the D-series hours is the total counter for as long as it's been in standby mode.
Does only the D-Series do this? We had this conversation over at Reddit earlier this morning and I tested my BVM-14F5U - when in standby mode (hit the front power button to turn it off, front LED changes to red, but the power switch in the back is still turned on), the hours on the F5U don't count up unless it's actively on and running.
I'm honestly not sure. That's good to know though, thanks!
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Possible 37' inch Mitsubishi Megaview in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/zip/6095361662.html

And it's free. Someone get it.
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

tacoguy64 wrote:Possible 37' inch Mitsubishi Megaview in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

he added the model XC3715. this one does 15khz
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

That is a great consolation prize for living in Kalamazoo.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Wow. Some retro gamer is gonna be very happy
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Wow :shock:

Best tv ever if the tube is proper.
Copyright 1987
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

retrorgb wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:
I'm honestly not sure. That's good to know though, thanks!
Just a follow-up if anybody was curious - the BVM D series doesn't count up in hours if it's in standby mode - just tested this overnight last night (got mine from the same guy I believe you did retrorgb ;)
xga

Post by xga »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Just a follow-up if anybody was curious - the BVM D series doesn't count up in hours if it's in standby mode - just tested this overnight last night (got mine from the same guy I believe you did retrorgb ;)
Thanks for confirming, Dochartaigh.

AFAIK, only the A series records both "OPERATION TIME" and "CRT TURN ON TIME", so perhaps "OPERATION TIME" includes both standyby time and "CRT TURN ON TIME". I will have to test too and report back.
xga

Post by xga »

So I put my A20F1 in standby for two hours tonight and can confirm that the "OPERATION TIME" value incremented by two during that time when I powered it back on / took it out of standby. Obviously the "CRT TURN ON TIME" value stayed the same.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Not sure if these count as pro monitors, but it's an ad for "more than 88" Barco monitors - available in Sydney, Australia.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/chippen ... 1147576386
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Theres an Nec XM2960 for sale on my local craigslist im thinking about getting.

the price is right the guy wants $95 for it.

Its kinda far though and if for some reason i dont get it ill post it here.

my question is, what should i look for? ive heard that these monitors arent quite as sharp as a PVM, but how can i notice that from say the monitor being worn out? i guess it should just look like a good tv right?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

at that price? get it. run don't walk

the tvl count on these monitor, while not über high, is perfectly fine. colour fidelity and picture contrast should be about as good as a mid-grade pvm (my NEC has contrast as good as the PVM-1354Q I had, but the PVM had slightly better colour rendition). It's picture has a different feel than a pvm though, since it's a "slot mask" type shadowmask.

It's an XM-29 Plus and will sync up to 1280x1024 @60Hz

it doesn't have a comb filter though (or has a very poor one), composite from old consoles look pretty much the worst I've ever seen on a later CRT on the NEC
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

Hmm. what do they usually go for? i couldnt even find one on ebay.

so you can use this for VGA Too? its a true mutisync then.