Professional/Broadcast monitor hunting.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Rather than clutter up another thread I figured I'd make a new one for postings I've found that I can't take advantage of.

http://m.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1390520

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Ma ... cctid=3923

Can't even identify them all but hey, maybe someone closer wants to try.
mvsfan

Re: Professional/Broadcast monitor hunting.

Post by mvsfan »

these listing come up on publicsurplus all the time but they are usually in Texas or California. I cant bid on these either.

that 1271 pvm in the second listing is way too old. Its from the 80s or early 90s. if theyre all like that theyre all going to need work.

Oh i see some more pictures at the bottom - and some newer ones. those 20s look a lot newer.

Btw, i like this thread. Its good for deals that come up and learning which places sell old monitors.

Another good thread would be: Good places for hunting old game consoles that arent Craigslist and Ebay.
vinnyguy

Post by vinnyguy »

Great idea Einzelherz! BTW Thanks for pointing out the Mitsubishi megaview monitor on publicsurplus.com a couple weeks ago, I'm picking it up tomorrow, $6 I paid for it
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

vinnyguy wrote:Great idea Einzelherz! BTW Thanks for pointing out the Mitsubishi megaview monitor on publicsurplus.com a couple weeks ago, I'm picking it up tomorrow, $6 I paid for it
Can't wait to see if it works out for you!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Yeah, the 20s look a lot newer, but I'd not go out of my way to take a chance on these. They could easily still be mid-90s vintage.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

sounds like that Megaview might be a Great deal if it works.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

If you guys were aware of Opera's Harpo Studios auction last week, there were some BVM 20s and 24s that were up for decent price that wasn't going to be heavily bidded on (except for one particular bidder that keeps jacking up the prices).

http://www.maxanet.com/cgi-bin/mndetails.cgi?jfinn36

Definitely keep a look out for any television studios that are closing, you're more than likely get a better chance of finding these types of televisions.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

beatsgo wrote:If you guys were aware
Obviously not, since we have threads like this one. Anything that gets contributed in a timely fashion = helpful. Posting about it late is still useful in giving market price information, though. Probably a good thing I didn't know about that one, actually :wink:
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Where was that one just so I can rest easy?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

North Aberdeen St., Chicago.
vinnyguy

Post by vinnyguy »

So I got the megaview. It's a xc3717c, manufactured January 1997. The guy in charge of the auction tells me they have 4 more there and he'll let me have them outside of auction for $5 a piece, winning bid on the one I have now. I might be picking them up Tuesday. If that happens there'll be 4 of these beasts waiting for pickup in milwaukee, WI. Ill be able to let them go for $5 + w/e I'd spend in renting a trailer, gas, listening to my kids yell at me from the back of the minivan. I bet if I don't take them they'll go to auction again on public surplus so look out for that too maybe.
Last edited by vinnyguy on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
vinnyguy

Post by vinnyguy »

The megaview I've got here has thunderforce 2 running in rgb right now, what do you guys do to post pictures, I'm using tapatalk on my phone but shmups forum doesn't allow me to import pics from here
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Use the image tags, like so:

Code: Select all

[img]http nonsense url here :)[/img]
Also, I miiight be interested in getting one of these, I'll have to cook up something special to swing it though! I would definitely grab 'em though.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

You'll have to host photos at a site like imgur or photobucket, then link them like Ed mentioned.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BTW, if anybody is looking for a PVM 20L5, I could part with mine - around ZIP 49016 (Southwest Michigan). I paid a lot for it, but I probably won't ask much. I mainly need to free up the space. 20" is pretty manageable.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

theres no way im shipping another monitor. :) too far away.

I forgot to mention, I also had an 25" makvision arcade monitor shippedfrom a guy in florida fedex a few years ago and it arrived fine.

that makes 2 that ive got that arrived fine, both fedex.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

If your in Texas (im not) then this might be worth looking at.

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auctio ... uc=1390520
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I'd only consider negotiating to take single units from that auction. The top 20" looks very badly screen burned and the bottom one might be even worse (why are the white patches in the bezel yellow?!), while the smaller units are just too small to do anything serious with and are a grab bag of types anyway.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

all the white patches are yellow. that never occured to me. the top 20" definately looks like it has burn in.

Btw, i dont own a monitor that has one of those lights. what are they for do they flash error codes or something?
vinnyguy

Post by vinnyguy »

Earlier this week I emailed te engineering dept of my local ABC and CNN tv stations. I found that on their websites, under the contact section, you could specify 'engineering' to send them an email. I asked if they sell decommissioned crt video monitors. Worth a try but... CNN told me they don't have any tube type monitors. ABC never responded. I'm in milwaukee, WI btw, maybe you'd have a different outcome near you
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

A few months ago some ancient ex-NBC (supposedly) video wall monitors, 25X0 series I guess, were gotten rid of in the Midwest area (but the listing specified some came from as far as NYC). It seemed like they had an outside company do the sale.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

vinnyguy wrote:Earlier this week I emailed te engineering dept of my local ABC and CNN tv stations. I found that on their websites, under the contact section, you could specify 'engineering' to send them an email. I asked if they sell decommissioned crt video monitors. Worth a try but... CNN told me they don't have any tube type monitors. ABC never responded. I'm in milwaukee, WI btw, maybe you'd have a different outcome near you
I did the same here, half replied and one was very clear that they hadn't had CRTs since 06.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

If you're within a couple hundred miles of central NC, then you definitely need to check out http://www.Tekyard.com

PVM's out the wazoo, and they'll let you test them at your leisure.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

That place has so many pvm monitors, I decided to ask if they have any parts for them. i hope they do because i need a board for a pvm.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

mvsfan wrote:That place has so many pvm monitors, I decided to ask if they have any parts for them. i hope they do because i need a board for a pvm.
They're actually having trouble selling PVM's and don't get a lot of money for each one, so they probably won't go digging in one for a board anytime soon unless you can give them some decent cash.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

They are having trouble selling Pvms? Im surprised. youd think theyd be flying off the shelves.

they should put some on craigslist or Amazon.

In all my searching for pvms, i never ran across their website.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I found them selling PVM's on ebay, then contacted them directly.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Just a heads up, I will be selling one of my 1943md PVMs if you guys are interested. I'll be posting a trading post thread for it sometime in the next coming months once I get that damn bkm68x card for my BVM.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Not the most glamorous monitor but possibly a rare find in the area: http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Ma ... acctid=237
nissling

Post by nissling »

The M2 is actually really nice imo, especially 14" (20" is a little softer). Blacks are as black as they can be on it but shadows are still very good with no black crush. Black levels aren't everything but it's the first thing you'll notice with the monitor. It's especially good for starters as the settings are very basic.