Professional/Broadcast monitor hunting.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fillicia

Re: Professional/Broadcast monitor hunting.

Post by Fillicia »

I just sent him an email.... I'm literally a few roads away so I hope it's still available! I would baby that monitor for sure!
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Ask if they have an extra rgb card, I could definitely use one :p
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Fillicia wrote:I just sent him an email.... I'm literally a few roads away so I hope it's still available! I would baby that monitor for sure!
I hope it works out for you!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Fillicia

Post by Fillicia »

tacoguy64 wrote:Ask if they have an extra rgb card, I could definitely use one :p
I'll do for sure!

Also to return the favor (for the link, even if it doesn't work out) I know some of us with Pro crts looks for Matrix switcher so here's two for sale in ottawa: https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc ... =ferm-clos

Edit: there was also this bad boy near Montreal and I know he had trouble selling it since it didn't have the input card on. I'm not sure he sold it since http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronique/lon ... nFlag=true
Last edited by Fillicia on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetalMilitia

Post by MetalMilitia »

I'm sure everyone and their mother is on the hunt for these, but if anyone knows where to find a 20L5 at a decent price I would be forever grateful!
Fillicia

Post by Fillicia »

Well I was a day too late for the JVC monitor... Someone got in touch just before me and he bought it today... I hope it's someone here and not just a reseller
Filenotfound

Post by Filenotfound »

Fillicia wrote:Well I was a day too late for the JVC monitor... Someone got in touch just before me and he bought it today... I hope it's someone here and not just a reseller
:) sorry, it's me. I received the kijiji alert for "professional monitor" keyword the day it was posted. Took a shot asking if it had component inputs just like FinalBaton. Googling for info I found this thread.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Filenotfound wrote:
Fillicia wrote:Well I was a day too late for the JVC monitor... Someone got in touch just before me and he bought it today... I hope it's someone here and not just a reseller
:) sorry, it's me. I received the kijiji alert for "professional monitor" keyword the day it was posted. Took a shot asking if it had component inputs just like FinalBaton. Googling for info I found this thread.
This is one of the first sites that pops up in a google search when you look up those stupid input cards. Please everyone do yourself a favor and if you get one of these jvc monitors, make sure it has the input card. Or else you will be stuck with a big bulky paper weight.
Fillicia

Post by Fillicia »

about 2 hours ago near montreal,

it's a little out of my budget for a 13'' but if anyone is interested

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-video-tv-accesso ... cale=en_CA
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

Not exactly a Broadcast monitor, but I lol'ed when I saw this and had to share :lol:

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/5915041483.html

Most likely wouldn't touch this even if it were free, but maybe someone wants some 50hz action? I'd be interested to learn of the story of how this thing got here (and why)...
Endymion

Post by Endymion »

nem wrote:As someone who has buffed out anti-glare coating, I can tell you there's no way you can just peel it off.
How now brown cow. Been done.
MetalMilitia

Post by MetalMilitia »

Still on the hunt for a PVM 20L5 for a non-astronomical price in the NJ area. If anyone could shoot me a lead or is selling one that would be awesome!
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

MetalMilitia wrote:Still on the hunt for a PVM 20L5 for a non-astronomical price in the NJ area. If anyone could shoot me a lead or is selling one that would be awesome!
Ditto, but I'm in Indiana
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I'm afraid that's now how the game is played anymore. You either pay up or you get crazy lucky.
Fillicia

Post by Fillicia »

In fact, those who are generally in possession of those monitors are either professional or people who have general knowledge of them. Both know the general MSRP of those. And since they know that they have a value, they'll try to find what exactly is the value now. So here comes eBay and other professional broadcast suppliers.

So getting one at a good price generally means it's now in possession of someone who's clueless of what they are selling and it's getting really rare
MetalMilitia

Post by MetalMilitia »

I knew I should have bought one years ago... :cry:
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Keep your heads up, it's not as bad as it seems. Expand your searches to areas that are a bit further away. Craigslist and even ebay are ok resources and sometimes sorting them by "nearest distance" can turn up something close. Monitors can also show up in places like hospitals, crt recycling centers, old production studios, and auctions sites.

Don't have yourself locked into just one monitor, other broadcasting monitors can be just as viable and more available in your area. Unless you live in an area like SoCal or are super rich, you just have to get whatever you can take. This means being on the look out for other brands like JVC or Ikegami.

Knowing what to look for in a crt monitor can give you an edge in negotiating and can save you lots of hassle when inspecting them in person. Most people just look at what they are going for on ebay and that will be the only extent of research they put in but a little bit of negotiating can really cut down on the price. Trust me, we gamers and maybe college students that need cheap color accurate monitors are the only people that want these things. Retro gamers are already a niche segment, and rgb gamers are even more rare. Everyone else wants to get rid of them.
nem

Post by nem »

Endymion wrote:
nem wrote:As someone who has buffed out anti-glare coating, I can tell you there's no way you can just peel it off.
How now brown cow. Been done.
Anti-glare coating. Yours is a film ;)
KnuckleheadFlow

Post by KnuckleheadFlow »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112250539353

Seems it's actually a Sampo. Anyone ever use one of these? Xga so I wonder if it can handle 240p. Might be nice for 480p though.
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

KnuckleheadFlow wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/112250539353

Seems it's actually a Sampo. Anyone ever use one of these? Xga so I wonder if it can handle 240p. Might be nice for 480p though.
Interesting. I'd guess that it can take RGB at 240p, given it can from other sources. But it might be VGA-only i suppose.

EDIT: actually, reading the listing, it says it'll only take VGA through the HD15 port.. Still, you never know.
unmaker

Post by unmaker »

PVM-2950Q in Los Angeles area for $300. Decent price considering they've been going for about $1000 on ebay and they don't show up very often

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ph ... 94235.html
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

$1000 for an 2950QM? Did someone really spent that much for this? I honestly cant imagine

alright, just checked the ebay.com site and it seems to true :D
thats insane. check this one here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PVM-2030-2 ... Swo4pYCQMl
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I wonder why they included plugs for separate H and V sync. It's not compatible with 31khz is it?
ShadowofBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

Denver area people should check out these PVM-20M2MDU while they can.

A set of 12 for $1800. Probably could get the person to break it up. I was considering picking one, up but am not sure I really need one at $175 as I am quite happy with my OSSC and 21" VGA Sony Trinitron CRT monitor. If anyone wants one for that price I could probably pick it up and hold on to it for a bit.

https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/5952087916.html

Original ad for single monitor:
https://denver.craigslist.org/vgm/5948178145.html
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

BazookaBen wrote:I wonder why they included plugs for separate H and V sync. It's not compatible with 31khz is it?
There's no reason why you can't have separate sync for 15kHz. I've used it, in fact.
Fusion916

Post by Fusion916 »

Guspaz wrote:
BazookaBen wrote:I wonder why they included plugs for separate H and V sync. It's not compatible with 31khz is it?
There's no reason why you can't have separate sync for 15kHz. I've used it, in fact.
Can confirm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191845520434

My breakout box has an option for both CSYNC and HVSYNC for 15KHz signals, tested it on mulitple monitors with HVSYNC and it works fine.
Brad251

Post by Brad251 »

I spent a few hours calling video production companies in my area and did come across someone that has a PVM-20L2 that was manufactured in December of '03. The guy said it was used for video editing and was on anywhere between 3-6 hours/day for about 7 years and after that, his wife has been using it every day to watch her workout DVD. Based on this information, I am figuring that at the high end, this PVM has around 20,000 hours on it. From what I understand, 20,000 hours is decent? The guy said it is in perfect working condition as far as he knows and it is in decent cosmetic condition based on the pics he sent me of the monitor.

Ideally, I don't want to spend a lot of money on a PVM so when the seller asked me how much money I was willing to pay, I asked him if he would accept $25 and would have gone up to $75. He told me he was looking for a couple hundred at least so lets say he is looking for $200. Does that seem like a good price assuming that monitor actually is in good working condition and possibly has 20,000 hours of use on it? I do currently have a Trinitron FV300 which I am happy with but I want to get a PVM to see how I like it. The 20L2 seems like the ideal monitor for me because I don't like really thick scanlines and being a 600 TV line monitor, I'm assuming the scanlines wouldn't be so prominent like they are on a very high TV line monitor. I only plan on buying the monitor if I am unable to find a cheap PVM.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I have a 20L2 and it's great. But I only paid $35 for it.

I say go test out the 20L2, bring a Wii with component cables and BNC adapters or something. Then decide if it looks $200 better than your KV Trinitron.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

You already have one of the best consumer models available so don't expect too big of a jump. $200 for a good condition pro crt monitor isn't the worst price you can pay for a rgb monitor of that size. That being said, the pvm will probably outlast your consumer set. If you are really curious about rgb crt monitors, i'd say it wont hurt to go over and test the monitor out. Make your judgement at that point and see for yourself if its worth the extra money. For me if I was in your spot, I would grab it only out of curiosity.
Brad251

Post by Brad251 »

I also want to note that I am optimistic of getting a PVM or some sort of professional monitor from one of my major local electronics recycling centers. I almost wasn't going to call the recycling center but figured I might as well try. I called, they directed me to the head guy's voicemail and I left a voicemail saying that I was looking for a pro monitor and would pay money for it. The next day, another employee there called me, asked me for specific models I was looking for and he said he would look and send me an email when he came across the models I was looking for. I said I was looking for PVMs and BVMs. I couldn't believe how nice the guy was and how willing he was to help me. He also said that I could test out any models that I wanted. I wasn't the first person that called them looking for CRTs. The guy said he has several people he deals with semi regularly that buy arcade monitors and various other CRTs from them. I also called another local electronics recycling center and had the exact same experience. A person called me back, I told him what I was looking for and he said he would call me if anything came up.

So, for anyone reading this, I highly recommend calling your local electronics recycling center if you are looking for a pro monitor.