Simple Q: rapidfire in MAME.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rob

Simple Q: rapidfire in MAME.

Post by Rob »

I searched this forum and google, failed. I'm not sure if this question belongs in this subforum, but I need rapidfire in MAME (preferably with the ability to assign a regular and rapid for the same button). Something obvious I overlooked or something else I can do about it? Shooters are pretty unplayable without rapid.
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

i dont know the answer sorry, but i can advise also posting at the official mame forums, they will know for sure if/how its possible.
BER

Re: Simple Q: rapidfire in MAME.

Post by BER »

Rob wrote:...but I need rapidfire in MAME (preferably with the ability to assign a regular and rapid for the same button).
I don't think it's in the original MAME builds. You can add custom rapid-fire buttons on the in-game menus in MAMEPlus! and its derivatives (like WolfMAME).

References: (Edited to add more information.)
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks, MAMEPlus is a big step up for control options. Can't figure out if it can allow single and rapidfire for the same button, though.
BER

Post by BER »

Rob wrote:Can't figure out if it can allow single and rapidfire for the same button, though.
I may have misread what you wanted. What functionality did you want:
  • To assign one keyboard key as the stock arcade button and another key as the rapid-fire version of this button. (I know this is possible.)
  • To assign one key as being both the stock button and its rapid-fire version somehow (like having the one button functionality of Mars Matrix).
  • To do something else.
Rob

Post by Rob »

BER wrote:
  • To assign one keyboard key as the stock arcade button and another key as the rapid-fire version of this button. (I know this is possible.)
This is the one I'm looking for, except substitute a Sidewinder for keyboard.
BER

Post by BER »

Rob wrote:
BER wrote:
This is the one I'm looking for, except substitute a Sidewinder for keyboard.
Okay, the following is a procedure for adding a separate rapid-fire button:
[/list]
  1. In the in-game menu, choose an Input submenu. Then select a Custom Button and press the button for which you want rapid fire on your Sidewinder.
  2. Next, choose the Custom Buttons submenu from the in-game menu. Highlight the Custom Button option that you have chosen in step 1, and on your keyboard, press the number for the arcade button on which you want rapid fire. (For example, if the shot button is Button 1 on MAME, then press 1 on your keyboard.)
  3. Finally, choose the Autofire Setting submenu from the in-game menu. Highlight the Custom Button option that you have chosen in step 1, and set the option to On.
You may also set the Delay Setting in step 3; if you set it to n, then the cycle is n frames ON and then n frames OFF.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Very helpful, worked perfectly.