Problems with VGA to component converter (Dreamcast)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
クリスチャン

Problems with VGA to component converter (Dreamcast)

Post by クリスチャン »

Okay so I thought I would post on here since I've seen quite a few knowledgeable individuals talk about the Dreamcast's issues with VGA output.

I'm using a regular retro bit VGA box that outputs to a VGA to YPbPr converter (http://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/V ... r~VGA2CPNT) to a Sony Bravia KDL-40W600B. I'm doing VGA to YPbPr based on some research that suggests most VGA to HDMI converters/scalers don't know how to properly handle the DCs SMPTE VGA 720x480 output which results in less than optimal resolution (I think) whereas VGA to YPbPr is just colour space conversion which avoids the SMPTE/VESA timing issue.

However, when using this converter with the Sony TV the picture flickers on and off constantly even during games. This does not occur with my 2014 Samsung PN51F4500BFXZA plasma using the same converter. Strangely enough the flicker happens even when I hook up a PC to the converter with the Sony TV! I don't what's up with this TV and this converter but it's driving me nuts (YPbPr input is functional on the TV).

Can anybody recommend a VGA to HDMI converter/scaler that will properly handle the DCs output and doesn't cost like $200+.

Side question: What's with the DCs VGA output, can somebody explain in detail why and how it's different than a normal VGA output? I've heard several things from it using SMPTE timings instead of VESA timings to higher voltages.

I would really like to get back to gaming because I can't stand CVBS, Thanks!
Fudoh

Re: Problems with VGA to component converter (Dreamcast)

Post by Fudoh »

Side question: What's with the DCs VGA output, can somebody explain in detail why and how it's different than a normal VGA output? I've heard several things from it using SMPTE timings instead of VESA timings to higher voltages.
two seperate problems: a) The DC uses video levels way higher than your usual consumer standards. Maybe because of the DC's arcade (Naomi) heritage. b) While the actual games are running in 640x480p (which would be a VESA standard), the signal itself is 720x480p (SMPTE). Basically 640x480p + pillarboxing on both sides. That's why it isn't trivial to get a proper aspect ratio on most displays.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Fudoh wrote:b) While the actual games are running in 640x480p (which would be a VESA standard), the signal itself is 720x480p (SMPTE).
This in itself would seem strange to most people. I'm wondering whether the 31kHz RGB mode was never part of the original Dreamcast design but was in fact opportunistically enabled. The wikipedia 480i write-up leaves me with the impression that for analog video systems a 720x480 frame is necessary to get the equivalent of a 640x480 image on to the screen of a consumer CRT TV screen (two 40x480 pillars being "sacrificed" to overscan, horizontal sync and horizontal blanking). Then somebody knew/noticed that a 31kHz RGB signal with the full 720x480 frame could (cheaply) display on a contemporary computer CRT monitor, a video system that still used analog technology to display digital video. While the resolution wasn't standard for a digital graphics display the monitor's analog picture controls could be used to make the picture "look right". So the Dreamcast VGA Box was a "good enough" solution to use the DC on a CRT computer monitor; there was no perceived need to make the signal conform to the actual VGA standard. So Sega took some liberties when they called the HKT-8100 a "Dreamcast VGA Box".
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

The Audio Authority 9A60 worked fine with 480p from my Dreamcast on my Sony Hi-Scan TV.

Fudoh wrote: the signal itself is 720x480p (SMPTE). Basically 640x480p + pillarboxing on both sides. That's why it isn't trivial to get a proper aspect ratio on most displays.
I guess Sega expected everyone to be using the VGA box with a PC CRT, where you can adjust the width/height pretty easily.
クリスチャン

Post by クリスチャン »

Interesting! So it sounds like my Sony TV can't accept the higher video levels but my Samsung can. But that doesn't explain why the Sony still flickers with a regular PC connected to it with the converter.

That Audio Authority 9A60A seems very interesting but how do I know I'm not going to have the same issues as with my current converter? The Audio Authority Model 1385 (VGA to HDMI scaler) seems really nice but it's discontinued (and expensive on ebay)! Where can I get a similar quality converter?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

クリスチャン wrote:That Audio Authority 9A60A seems very interesting but how do I know I'm not going to have the same issues as with my current converter?
Good question, it will be a little bit of a gamble.

An HDMI scaler would be a better option since component inputs will be probably stop being standard on TV's in the near future. The only thing you need to watch out for is extra lag from any Analog>Digital converter you buy.
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

gefen vga to dvi scaler+ go for cheap these days and would work. i use it on my sony w800b for dreamcast exclusively. your main problem will be sourcing audio out
Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan...
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

The Gefens scale the Dreamcast great, but do have some input lag.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
DialKnight

Post by DialKnight »

Necro Bump!
The Extron VSC is an easy way to get component from the dreamcast. While waiting for a new RGB interface to output 240p for the DC and Xbox360, I have this Extron VSC 500 hanging out. I decided to run the dreamcast through a retro-bit VGA box into the VSC using BNC to RCA into a Sony Wega. The results are better than S-VIDEO out of the VGA box , and the Extron has picture adjustment settings. The signal output is 480i but loses that S-VIDEO fog. Extrons are cheap too. Radirgy looked as good as the Wii port over component. Neo XYX also looks good.