What is the cheapest way to play a PS1 import game?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Pshooter

What is the cheapest way to play a PS1 import game?

Post by Pshooter »

do i have to get my PS1 modded? or can I use Action Replay or a similar device?
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

There are many different solutions that vary with the type of PS1 you have. If you have a larger gray Playstation with a parallel port, you can get a simple plug in device. If you don't have a parallel port (scph 900x, and mini PSone) you can use a purchased boot disc such as PSXchange. Boot discs tend to glitch though, plus you have to go through the hassle of swapping discs. If you don't mind swapping discs, you can do the swap trick. This doesn't cost anything, but isn't so hot for the system. As your topic inquired, this is the cheapest way. Use a game with a lot of audio tracks if you use this method. Best method by far is an internal mod. Other methods aren't as good, but work (mostly). edit: I should mention that I'm pretty sure modchips aren't allowed here, so I wouldn't try to buy / sell them on the forums.
Pshooter

Post by Pshooter »

i do have the large grey one, where is the parallel port located so i can check? and then i would use a mod chip?
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

If you decide to do the hot swap trick, it shouldn't matter how many audio tracks your dummy game has if you use the triple swap technique. I just use one of those demo discs and haven't had any problems.
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Looking at the front of the console, it would be located on the far right corner in the back. You could also check the model number on the bottom. The only gray Playstation without a parallel port is SCPH 900x series. If it's 100x, 55xx, 700x, 7501 etc, you have a parallel port. A chip wouldn't be needed if you bought a plug in device, but you'd still have to swap discs. By the way, the "triple swap" is basically a double swap with a completely unnecessary swap. :( Most of the time the disc you use to swap doesn't cause a problem, but Tekken works well. Has a lot of audio tracks...
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

no no no no NO!

Everything you need ot know aobut swap tricks.

The original swap trick was to swap the discs whiel in the CD player. tihs worked on the very first models. this was quicky fixed.

The early blak c screen trick. you simply swpapped once at the black screen. requireda good TOC game.
The early whitescreen trick. this workked 100%, but was patcched early on. this worked because the protection was only checked once, before the toc was read. if you swapped at that point, you were golden.

The "double swap" this is named becaue you have to put your copy in twice. one during the white screen, just BEFORE the black screen shows up, one drin gthe black screen, and a third swap (putting the copy in) as soon as the secnd protection check finishes. The tripple swap, it doesn't matter the TOC of your discs. On ps1 cosoles where the black screen swap will not work (when they move dthe laser to the side oposite the power supply, the model one before they removed the gameshark port) you mUST use the double swap!

Here's the detailed explanation.

First the game check the bootcode during the white screen. after this finishes, it starts to go to the black screen and load the toc, and then the boot exe. it loads the toc just as the white screen finishes. so you must swap just before then. you do this when the disc speeds up.
Now it loads the toc from the copy, goes to the black screen, then loads the boot program. THEN, it does the SECOND protection check before it executes the boot program. at this tiem, the cd seeks the prot area and SLOWS DOWN again. at this time you swap again, and put your original back. then, the black screen goes away, and you quickly swap the import back in. presto.

SOme games are really pick about when you do that last swap, but most aren't too pick.

Now, we have anti-mod games. these require an EXTRA step, which is sometimes known as the triple swap. you generally will have to swap during the "memcard screen" where it searches for a save to load upon boot. they will also perform two checks on the disc. one check is one that is supposed to fail (this one tries to catch modchips) and a second check that is supposed to succeed. hey will also often read the libcrypt key sometime during this. when it does this seocn check, again, you swap discs, wit a bit, then swap bck. practice wil teach youthe timing for this "extra swap" as long as yo uare using original imports yo uwill have no issues with libcrypt while swapping.

For antimod games, that "extra swap" IS required on ALL consoles that you swap trick on, or you will get the "red screen"
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

For about 99% of games you don't need the "extra swap". Just the anti-mod. Should've mentioned that. Anyway, I'd try to get a chip if you can. That's really the best solution.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Or a JP PS1. I dunno if the swapping is worth just getting another console.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

i've even got the dance dance revolution club appends to work with swap tricks on my us ps1 (laugh)

PS: fopr those of you who try to "shark" your way past anti-mod checks...

you wil often find multiple codes for one game. this means the game uses libcrypt. one code set is for if you are using an orginal import or a backup that HAS the licrypt key intact. the othr is for backups that don't contain the libcrypt key. if you use the wrong one, the game will usually crash.
D

Post by D »

Harrr,

There are downloadable boot discs, something with the word "lite" or "light". Works, not consistently do, but it works.
It's out there, perhaps will not work on a PSONE

That is the cheapest