Is my Amiga RGB monitor dying/dead?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dylan1CC

Is my Amiga RGB monitor dying/dead?

Post by Dylan1CC »

OK, this happened once before (I think) about 3 years ago but stopped eventually and is much worse this time. Since last week when I boot up Progear on my JAMMA rig, there is nothing on the Amiga monitor intermittantly. Gently shaking the monitor and reseating the RGB cable doesn't help and I have tried an extra RGB cable I have from Matt. If the game displays at all, it will first display normally then go to "sliding picture mode." When I try to fix using the vertical hold dial the screen then goes normal again then totally blank. 5/10 though I can't get any picture period or it blips off with a quick, faint green/yellow checkered line that disappears in the middle of the screen. So is it shot and should I buy a new monitor? Much thanks in advance.

And if it's shot will this C64 monitor in the auction below make a worthy replacement?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Sounds like rusty solder joints to me. You could take it to a TV repair shop to get fixed.

The auction you linked to is a good monitor, however the lack of a S at the end of the model number means its mono only. Therefore you will not get stereo sound. Try for a 1084S if you can.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Playing any shmup on a 13" monitor should be a crime :D . If you have enough money to be in this hobby, you'd be better off saving up for a real arcade monitor/cab and enjoy the games that much more. What controls do you use with a monitor this small?
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Dave_K. wrote:Playing any shmup on a 13" monitor should be a crime :D . If you have enough money to be in this hobby, you'd be better off saving up for a real arcade monitor/cab and enjoy the games that much more. What controls do you use with a monitor this small?
I have a pair of hacked Sega Saturn pads which are awesome of course. Never had a problem watching thegames on a 13 inch monitor. I may get a bigger monitor someday when I have more space.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Sounds like rusty solder joints to me. You could take it to a TV repair shop to get fixed.

The auction you linked to is a good monitor, however the lack of a S at the end of the model number means its mono only. Therefore you will not get stereo sound. Try for a 1084S if you can.
I have a friend who could possibly fix that. Where are the solder joints located, do you mean just the joints/pin input on the RGB port on the monitor?

And yeah, thanks for the pointer on a 1084S.
sancoa

Post by sancoa »

Hello,
I'm a long time lurker of these forums, I should probably start making the occasional post. Anyway, I just wanted to say that if you need to buy a 1084 and you can find one that works well and gives a good picture, you should probably buy it regardless of whether it is a 1084S or the mono version. I have the 1084S, and quite frankly the speakers suck. A set of audio cables and RCA couplers don't cost too much, you should just hook up the audio to your stereo, you'll get much better sound. I have my systems (as well as a 5 disc CD changer) hooked up through A/V selectors to an old, inexpensive bookshelf stereo system and the sound is much, much better than you would get from the 1084 speakers. Even a fairly cheap ghetto blaster will sound better than the 1084 speakers, that's what I used before getting the bookshelf system.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I keep 1084 monitors "S" or not in reserve just in case. I have 2 in the garage for spare.
PC Engine Fan X!

I've got a Amiga 1080 monitor...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I've got one of those original Amiga 1080 13" Japanese manufactured monitors and it works like a charm. Upon looking at the 23-pin out cable from the Amiga 500 computer setup and terminates into a 9-pin RGB output cable...it only has 6 wires going into the 1080 monitor.

Here's the setup:

1.) R
2.) G
3.) B
4.) Ground (Red)
5.) Ground (Black)
6.) Composite Sync

There is a "Vertical Height" adjustment pot switch to adjust the screen size if it is not to your liking. I've seen that the Amiga 1070 monitor has all the proper screen adjustments necessary on the back if hooking up a Jamma/Supergun rig to it.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Thanks for all the info, guys. I found a replacement from a friend who has a networking business in town. It's an NCR brand and in very good shape. He used to use it to test VGAs. It is mono but has plenty of connections and has a working color dial (which isa big plus since my old Amiga monitor's color dial is shot) I am going to buy it from him next Tuesday for $25. That'll save me a lot of money not to mention on shipping.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Dylan1CC wrote:It is mono but has plenty of connections and has a working color dial (which isa big plus since my old Amiga monitor's color dial is shot)
If you're talking about the color dial on the front, where the brightness/contrast controls are, you may be interested to know that it won't work when you're in RGB mode. Color and Hue are only used to adjust NTSC signals.

To adjust the colors, you need to take off the back of the casing and mess around with some adjustment knobs on the motherboard. Not reccomended unless you know what you can and can't touch in there.