Sony BKM-41HD and Sony BKM-21D

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
alfshusen

Sony BKM-41HD and Sony BKM-21D

Post by alfshusen »

What are these cards for, and do I need it to play rgb consoles?
Ed Oscuro

Re: Sony BKM-41HD and Sony BKM-21D

Post by Ed Oscuro »

It is customary to add details when asking a question. There's lots of things that factor into the appropriate answer to your question.

What monitor do you have?
If it is a Sony BVM, is it a HD model?
What consoles are you trying to hook up?

I had a look at the manuals for these, as well as photos, and they both appear to be SDI and component only, though the manual for the BKM-21D says it does RGB in addition to component - but I don't see a fourth connector for sync. The SDI will be of no use for any console.
alfshusen

Post by alfshusen »

These are the most common cards added in BVM and PVM monitors for sale. These are in addition to the card that seem standard. The standard card is the one with sync. If they are not usable for consoles then it doesn't matter which of these extra cards is added on the monitor I'm looking for. (BVM-D24)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can use both cards as additional COMPONENT input boards (Playstation 2, XBox, Cube, Wii etc). The 21D also carries a composite decoder, which enables you to use COMPOSITE signals on all BNC inputs the monitor has.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Not all BVMs and PVMs support the same plug-in cards. I don't think any PVMs can use that BKM-41HD.

The BVM-D24's analog RGB input board seems to be standard, non-removable, as seen in the back of this picture by MCCOM, INC. of a monitor they are selling:
http://s392.photobucket.com/user/mccomi ... 8.jpg.html
- which means you should be set with any BVM-D24 monitor as far as older, pre-480p consoles are concerned.

I would just try the monitor first - if it is missing some kind of decoding capability, THEN it might be worth looking for a specific board. Otherwise you might buy cards you don't need.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It looks to me as if he's looking at monitors that come with these boards pre-installed. And I would say it doesn't hurt to get one for free. I have a 21D in each of my BVMs as well.
alfshusen

Post by alfshusen »

I am looking at 2 monitors. I am trying to decide which one to buy. One monitor has one extra card, the BKM-42HD, the other has BKM-41HD and BKM-21D.
I think I'm going for the monitor with the BKM-42HD, because the shipping will be much shorter for that one. If the standard card take the old consoles, the BKM-42D can take newer consoles like XboX 360 if I understood correct?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Fudoh wrote:It looks to me
But this is why I ask for clarification, so we make sure what is being asked. Potentially dozens or hundreds of Euros/dollars are worth the effort, I think!
alfshusen wrote:I think I'm going for the monitor with the BKM-42HD, because the shipping will be much shorter for that one.
That strikes me as being the more important consideration, because monitors can be and are sometimes damaged badly on shipping.

The 41HD should allow you to do newer consoles, as we both said before.
alfshusen

Post by alfshusen »

You guys are good. Thanks for clearing it up for me, even though I was unclear in my question (sorry).
19880304xf

Post by 19880304xf »

I also want to know if the component input through BKM-41HD card will have a better performance than the RGB card & BKM-21D card?
If there is no difference, I will uninstall it because of its noisy fan.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

19880304xf wrote:I also want to know if the component input through BKM-41HD card will have a better performance than the RGB card & BKM-21D card?
If there is no difference, I will uninstall it because of its noisy fan.
Should be no difference unless something is messed-up with a certain card. They're all probably using the same decoder when plugged in together anyway.

P.S. you can just pull the card out like 1/4" and the fan will turn off, and you won't have to find a cover to keep dust out of the back.