Strikers 1945 PCB, sprites not displaying

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
iatneH

Strikers 1945 PCB, sprites not displaying

Post by iatneH »

Got this "untested" board in the mail today for fairly cheap, turns out the sprites aren't displaying. I flexed it a bit while it was turned on, and the sprites flashed on screen for a split-second... wasn't able to get it to happen a second time.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's not a bootleg. It does appear to have had a wire soldered from one of the CPUs to an adjacent IC. I'll try to grab a photograph in just a minute...
Can anyone give me some pointers on how to go about repairing this?

Thanks!

edit:
Photo here. You can sort of see the wire, it's soldered on the lower side of the big square thing on the upper side of the board..

edit2:
OK... I think I found the perfect flex...
Sweet, so I scored a cheap (albeit finicky) Strikers PCB :)
dpful

Post by dpful »

If you can find how to fix the cracked joint, screw it to a board flexed.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

It matches my Strikers board , so it's definitely not a bootleg. Probably something loose on the board, as the others have said.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
dpful

Post by dpful »

With a flex fix, it's often a crack around one of the square processor chips- really hard to fix.
Ix

Post by Ix »

is there any way i can flip the screen?

i have this board but i want to play it on a horizontally oriented screen that i also use for fighting games. i saw the dip switch and turned it on, but nothing happened.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

From messing around, I've found that dipswitch 1 is a screenflip. It doesn't allow you to play on a horizontal monitor though, all it does is flip between a Tate L and Tate R setup.

Anyway, the fix I've found for my board is to just prop up the corners with PCB pillars and put something heavy on it in the middle to flex it. Works just fine like that, so I might not bother with the processor fix if it's as troublesome as dpful said..
dpful

Post by dpful »

I usually flex it till it gets worse (which may happen), then try and find the loose leg on the proccessor (it may be just a cracked solder blob on one of the other chips- easy fix) and try and fix it- usually resulting in breaking the board worse.