UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RuffNEC

Re: UD-USB Decoders (PS3/X360 to JAMMA, DB15, etc.)

Post by RuffNEC »

where can I buy those?!

RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

I want one too!
fluxcore

Post by fluxcore »

My friend and I have been playing lots of Alpha 2 using these decoders, and they have worked flawlessly. My stick is even using Toodles' UPCB, so it's pretty custom hardware - although it should be working in PS3 mode (~HID compliant), so should be fairly standard software wise.

Highly recommended if you need this kinda thing!
undamned

Post by undamned »

If you've already sent me a PM, I haven't forgotten about you :D Just been busy the last week or so. If you haven't sent me a PM, do it. These should be carried by Paradise Arcade (the Screw Terminal version is already available there) soon. In the meantime, I have a few to sell directly.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

check pm!
jujukun

Post by jujukun »

PM sent.
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

recieved the case version and I'm very happy with it. It does the job on my supergun and mad catz street fighter IV stick very well. there isn't any input lag as far as i can tell!
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Received mine yesterday. still haven't tested it. How does the button configuration work? is this a process you have to do on first time use?
undamned

Post by undamned »

RuffNEC wrote:recieved the case version and I'm very happy with it. It does the job on my supergun and mad catz street fighter IV stick very well. there isn't any input lag as far as i can tell!
Sweet! I still owe you an e-mail. I was out of town and forgot to respond.
RaidenViper wrote:Received mine yesterday. still haven't tested it. How does the button configuration work? is this a process you have to do on first time use?
Check the 6 button manual here:

http://www.udgametech.blogspot.com/p/firmware.html
-ud
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

undamned wrote:
RuffNEC wrote:recieved the case version and I'm very happy with it. It does the job on my supergun and mad catz street fighter IV stick very well. there isn't any input lag as far as i can tell!
Sweet! I still owe you an e-mail. I was out of town and forgot to respond.
thanks!
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

btw: any explanation I couldn't start a Flying Shark '87 PCB with the controller on it? With a normal db15 controller no problem at all... seems that the board didn't get enough power with the UD-USB Converter on it?!
hanasu

Post by hanasu »

RuffNEC wrote:btw: any explanation I couldn't start a Flying Shark '87 PCB with the controller on it? With a normal db15 controller no problem at all... seems that the board didn't get enough power with the UD-USB Converter on it?!
How have you wired everything? I highly doubt the converter has enough draw to cause issues. I almost exclusively run CPS2 boards with my two converters, which are known power hogs, and have never had an issue.
undamned

Post by undamned »

RuffNEC wrote:btw: any explanation I couldn't start a Flying Shark '87 PCB with the controller on it? With a normal db15 controller no problem at all... seems that the board didn't get enough power with the UD-USB Converter on it?!
What sort of Pinout are you running on your DB15 ports?
-ud
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

undamned wrote:
-ud
not sure and not planing to open my mak sorry. anyway it was the only board that I experienced that so far
undamned

Post by undamned »

RuffNEC wrote:
undamned wrote:
-ud
not sure and not planing to open my mak sorry. anyway it was the only board that I experienced that so far
So, your other boards work fine with the decoder? If so, it's possible your power supply is weak and Flying Shark is nearly maxing out the supply so that the Decoder pushes it over the edge. Hard to believe, but I don't know anything about your power supply, so I have to guess.
-ud
Nug

Post by Nug »

I have a custom stick that uses the PS360+. Has this been tested with it, and if so are there any lag issues?
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Having difficult plugging in my PS3 controller via USB. The board doesn't detect it. Do I need to reset the blue tooth pairing on the controller first or is there something else that needs to be done?
undamned

Post by undamned »

Nug wrote:I have a custom stick that uses the PS360+. Has this been tested with it, and if so are there any lag issues?
I know many people who use PS360+ with these. The PS360+ board itself actually has different response times depending on if it is in PS3 mode or 360 mode. From the time a button is pressed on the PS360+ to the time the Decoder outputs the corresponding decoded button signal, the average (of 100 samples) response times were as follows -

PS360+ in PS3 mode: 1.6ms
PS360+ in 360 mode: 4.5ms
Pasky wrote:Having difficult plugging in my PS3 controller via USB. The board doesn't detect it. Do I need to reset the blue tooth pairing on the controller first or is there something else that needs to be done?
If the controller is waiting to be paired (front LEDs on pad are flashing) it will not connect to the Decoder. Wait for the LEDs to stop flashing and then plug it in. I'd like to find out if there is a way to immediately force the controller out of pairing mode when plugged into the decoder, but I haven't figured it out. Maybe in a future firmware update that will be a nice bonus :D

-ud
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

undamned wrote: If the controller is waiting to be paired (front LEDs on pad are flashing) it will not connect to the Decoder. Wait for the LEDs to stop flashing and then plug it in. I'd like to find out if there is a way to immediately force the controller out of pairing mode when plugged into the decoder, but I haven't figured it out. Maybe in a future firmware update that will be a nice bonus :D

-ud
Ya, I can't get it to pair any way. I've got it with a USB cable. Tried with the controller turned off. Tried plugging it in after it paired to the PS3 and had a solid light. Tried removing the PS3 pairing with the reset switch then plugging it in. Nothing recognizes my PS3 controller. I know they're working properly because my MC CTHULU is working fine.

Any ideas?

Where can I get the latest firmware and bootloader?

EDIT: weird, I just tried a different dual shock 3 controller and it works fine... it doesn't like thgis particular one. It's an official sony controller dual shock 3 and both of them have the same model number on the back...wtf is up O_o

It also doesn't like my other dual shock controller. It lights up with the dual shock but the only button is recognizes is select for coin and the analog sticks for directions and its constantly flashing to set my buttons even though I didn't hold any buttons and it won't recognize any button presses other than select and it has left held down.

So one dual shock controller works. One dual shock controller doesnt even make it light up, and the other one acts funky with it. All of them are official. I've tried this with four decoders in a 4p super
gun.

Tried a couple different USB cables including a small 2 footer to make sure it wasn't too much length giving it a weak signal, same deal.

Uhhh?
undamned

Post by undamned »

Pasky wrote:Tried plugging it in after it paired to the PS3 and had a solid light.
I don't think it will work if paired with a PS3. There should be no LEDs active on the pad when you plug it into the Decoder.
Pasky wrote:Where can I get the latest firmware and bootloader?
http://udgametech.blogspot.com/p/firmware.html

Pretty much everything I know about using PS3 pads has been shared and I've never had issues when following the rule of not plugging in if any LEDs on pad are lit. Maybe tomorrow night I'll give it a go again (I probably have 3 official pads floating around somewhere).
-ud
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Ya I tried unpairing the ps3. I'll try reflashing firmware. It's weird.
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

On the PS3 pads, you can hold down the PS button for awhile (should be less than 10 seconds) to shut it off.
jujukun

Post by jujukun »

Just wanted to let you know that the UD-USB decoder works perfectly with my Xbox 360 HRAP EX. Awesome product!
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

I tested mine yesterday. I couldn't fit the 15 Pin Sub-D version in my CMVS because of the enclosure. so had to use a MVS extension cable. works great with my PS360+. no noticeable lag :D
undamned

Post by undamned »

Glad they are working for you guys! :D

Pasky, I keep forgetting to play around with my PS3 pads. I'll try and remember to do that this week. I thought I'd used at least 2 different official PS3 pads for development, but I'll check out whatever I got.
-ud
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Honestly, I'd rather see some ps4 controller work progress :D.
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Would it be possible to change the default button mapping?
undamned

Post by undamned »

RaidenViper wrote:Would it be possible to change the default button mapping?
You can set button mapping on a per-use basis (not stored in memory after power down), as detailed in the user manual, but I do plan to add a feature to save that off to non-volatile memory in a future firmware revision. I have a short list of features to add regarding custom button mapping in general.
-ud
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Useful info:

https://github.com/quantus/xbox-one-controller-protocol

http://eleccelerator.com/wiki/index.php ... ualShock_4

Should be all you need with the descriptor given there for the dual shock 4. Now just translate it to serial outputs :D.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Pasky wrote:Useful info:

https://github.com/quantus/xbox-one-controller-protocol

http://eleccelerator.com/wiki/index.php ... ualShock_4

Should be all you need with the descriptor given there for the dual shock 4. Now just translate it to serial outputs :D.
Thanks! :D

I had already dug up some other protocol info on each system, but it's very nice to have more than one source for extra clarity, if needed.
-ud