Samsung F4500 plasma bargain for 480p sources

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
LastSilmaril

Re: Samsung F4500 plasma bargain for 480p sources

Post by LastSilmaril »

Josh128 wrote:The 51" is a fabulous set equal in every way to the 43", except better, due to the immersive, monstrous size.
Right, but no space for it. In any case, I managed to track down a 43" one on Craigslist. Brought my SNES and SMW with me there, and have to say it looked pretty sweet. I especially liked how excellent it looked with no tweaking whatsoever. And yeah, vaguely CRT-like. I may take photos and post more impressions here later.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

It will look even better when you get it dialed in / calibrated. Im currently looking for a 43" for a gift right now, having a hard time finding one...
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Just snagged a 43" 2014 PN43F4500BFXZA on Ebay. It will probably never even see a game, its a Christmas gift for my mom. Its going to replace a 32" Vizio LCD in her bedroom that she had a few complaints about. Ive been so impressed by the PQ of these sets I made it my mission to get one for her.

These bad boys have quickly become extremely rare, even on Ebay and Craigslist. Now we will see if it arrives in one piece / working. :mrgreen: Im getting shipping insurance on it and just hoping I dont have to use it.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Well, the 43" arrived and well, UPS destroyed what appears to have been an immaculate set. :( :( :( :x There is nary a scuff or even a smudge on it-- except for the gigantic dent in the sheet metal backing at the bottom right corner of the set and a big set of cracks in the screen originating from the same area.

The seller actually did a really good job wrapping and boxing it up, labeling the box "Fragile", "This Side up" "Do Not Lay Flat" etc-- in fact, Im at a bit of a loss to explain how such a blow was dealt to the set, with the packaging not really showing any signs of damage. The set really was in pristine condition, a real find--this BS really cheeses me off. This set would have been PERFECT for my mom. These are almost impossible to find now, especially in the mint shape this one was in.

Now we get to fight with UPS over the insurance claim, etc. Joy.

http://imgur.com/a/lLMPV
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Josh128 wrote:Now we get to fight with UPS over the insurance claim, etc. Joy.
http://imgur.com/a/lLMPV
Good luck with that, of all the carriers I had to deal with personally and professionally, UPS are the most vicious villains one can imagine.
If you bought with PayPal just go through them without wasting time, you'll get your money much back much faster.

EDIT: oops, eBay, not sure that will work as fine...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

It was purchased through Ebay and paid for via PayPal. Ebay ALWAYS sides with the buyer in cases of receiving busted items. I have a message backlog informing the seller to put insurance on the shipment as a condition of buying as well.

It just sucks, as I dont want another TV, I wanted THAT one. Its amazing, but that 2014 plasma is still thinner than any other LCD of the same size Ive seen so far. They have a very, very sleek and compact design.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

That's pretty awful. My Eizo FG2421 had a nice gouge on the face side of the box when it arrived. Thankfully no product damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlUJmT2h3-4
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

RGB32E wrote:That's pretty awful. My Eizo FG2421 had a nice gouge on the face side of the box when it arrived. Thankfully no product damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlUJmT2h3-4
That video is pretty sad. I only wish I was as lucky as you. The box actually looked fine, I really wasnt expecting the set to be damaged when I opened it, but theres no doubt this damage was done by UPS.

I actually feel bad that such a pristine set was trashed by some idiots who no doubt dropped it or threw it on its edge on top of something. I really is a shame.

I contacted the seller and UPS wants me to re-box it up and they will pick it up to "inspect" it tomorrow.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Among other things I was in charge of TV's at my old job and you don't imagine how many thrashed sets I've seen.
At some point LG had changed their packaging technique and quality...to something extremely thin and shallow.
For about two or three months I believe 3 out 10 sets arrived more or less damaged, something like that.
And of course none of those carrier cunts were making it easier.
I don't even want to mention plasmas, which we stopped selling anyway after some time, too much trouble.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Well, out of stubborness and eccentricity, instead of going out and buying a new LCD ,I decided to check all the local pawn shops to see what I could find-- after calling about 10 and only getting a hit on a 2012 E450, I drove to the 2 local shops in the town I live.

First one had a 2012 LG 42PN4500, a decent plasma in decent condition. I actually considered it and the picture looked decent but had a bit of external wear that turned me off.

The next and final shop, to my amazement, had a Sammy PN43F4500 AFXZA (Nov.2013) model. Not quite the July 2014 model that UPS thrashed, but it was in really good shape, so once I checked it for burn in, I negotiated 10% off the $250 asking price and was out the door! Fired up some FZero GX once home to test and the picture is tack-sharp and dazzling. Hopefully it will serve my mom well! :D
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

:D
Excellent, glad you found one !

Buying displays online is definitely not ideal.
telemetry

Post by telemetry »

Josh128 wrote:The next and final shop, to my amazement, had a Sammy PN43F4500 AFXZA (Nov.2013) model. Not quite the July 2014 model that UPS thrashed, but it was in really good shape, so once I checked it for burn in, I negotiated 10% off the $250 asking price and was out the door!
That is quite some luck! Must have a very fortuitous local market there. :D

Are there any notable quality differences between the AFXZA and the 2014 (BFXZA I think)?
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

telemetry wrote:
Josh128 wrote:The next and final shop, to my amazement, had a Sammy PN43F4500 AFXZA (Nov.2013) model. Not quite the July 2014 model that UPS thrashed, but it was in really good shape, so once I checked it for burn in, I negotiated 10% off the $250 asking price and was out the door!
That is quite some luck! Must have a very fortuitous local market there. :D

Are there any notable quality differences between the AFXZA and the 2014 (BFXZA I think)?
There is not, at least in the 51" versions, because I have both. I think there are a few minor differences in the menu and at 1 different button on the remote, but I'd have to check to see exactly what they are and get back with you. Bout to leave for work now...
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

The BFXZA models have an on screen program guide and the remote has a Guide button. The AFXZAs dont. Oddly enough, the BFXZAs dont have the "Expert" pattern that the AFXZAs have.

Not sure if this is related to the firmware or the model itself though. Ive not dared to upgrade the firmware on any of my sets...
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

If anyone's still looking for one of the 43" models, I have one that I'm looking to sell or swap for a similar sized 1080p set. The TV is in great condition - no marks etc.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm in the UK..