Questions about buying a Sega Saturn

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
hizzle

Questions about buying a Sega Saturn

Post by hizzle »

I'm looking to buy a Sega Saturn, and I had a quick questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.

I wanted to know if there is any reason to buy a JP Saturn system, when I could buy a US system and use the 4m Action Replay Plus to play the imports I want. Are there any known compatibility issues or anything? What are there any advantages to buying a JP system over the US one, and vice versa? Will the Action Replay work in reverse, playing US games on my JP system? Anything else I should take into consideration before buying this stuff?

I am looking to mostly play those lovely import only shmups, but I wouldn't mind at all being able to play US games as well if there are no problems.

Thanks in advance, it's really appreciated.[/url]
it290

Post by it290 »

The AR4M+ will work on any region system. It's a great device, but there are a couple of disadvantages vs. having a JP console (or a switch-modded US console):

1. The cart slot is in use, so you can't use it to play KOF '95 (which uses its own ROM cart). You also can't use a direct-save RAM cart at the same time.

2. Panzer Dragoon Saga / Azel will refuse to boot if it detects a cheat device in the cartridge port. There is an AR code to work around this, though, so no big deal there.

3. Sokyugurentai has glitches if played on a US system with an AR4M+. The re-release version, however, is free from these issues.

4. The cart will probably eventually wear out your cart slot if you're constantly plugging it and unplugging it. However, if you leave it in all/most of the time, it's not really a problem. That's what I do and I haven't had any issues.

All in all, I'd say just buy whatever region system you want (it's cheap either way), and get an AR anyway -- the RAM cart features and save memory make it worthwhile even if you're not using it to boot imports.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

just buy a jp system. there are almost no us games worth owning that aren't better or cheaper as a japanese game. also, the japanese controller stomps all over the us counterpart.

also the 4-1 conversion should be avoided. i sold mine to Neon i think and it killed his cartridge slot. it also killed mine, which i didn't find out until after i sold the cart.

there are also some compatibility issues. the only one i have personally experienced is Dezaemon 2 (make your own shooters). in order to save progress in this you need the 4mb cartridge (and the 4-1 doesn't count). i'm sure there are lists around the internet that have a more thorough review.

also, if you look correctly, a jp saturn won't cost much either. i think my white saturn cost me $70 + ship. alternatively, member Matt (on these forums) had some american systems with full mods installed that he was selling on the cheap (can't remember how much exactly).

welcome! ^_^

edit: damn it *snicker* he beat me on some points...
I have no sig whatsoever.
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

US model 2 modified with a JP/US toggle, official Sega 4MB RAM cart, and modboard all the way. ;)
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Yep the above post is certainly a great alternative

I've bought one fairly recently and lets just say 60hz and rgb radiant silvergun is bloody hard to beat with a saturn pad.

Go for the white saturn, rgb cable combo. guy called hit-japan on ebay will hook you up or alternatively get it cheap for like 30$ some where else.
Vidi Vici Veni
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

captain ahar wrote:just buy a jp system. there are almost no us games worth owning that aren't better or cheaper as a japanese game. also, the japanese controller stomps all over the us counterpart.
Unless you want to play RPGs and don't understand Japanese.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

lol but ganelon the best saturn rpgs are in japanese! langrisser fan I thought?

Really the only exceptions are panzer dragoon saga, sf3, stha, and albert odessey, Grandia is japan only and runs badly with 4 in 1 cart. + japanese players can experience the complete shining force 3 quadrilogy.
Vidi Vici Veni
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

True, true, Langrisser is tops. :P But unlike shooter fans, many RPG players don't want to play JP RPGs since they won't understand the story.

And RPGs are really the only reason to get a US SS even though there's really only about 10 US SS RPGs total, with DF, MKR, Dark Savior, Blazing Heroes, Shining Wisdom, and Legend of Oasis rounding out the bunch (and Hydlide for the truly bored or masochistic). Those interested in any other genre except RPGs (well, and American sports) would find the JP SS a cheaper solution in terms of software.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

well as far as my opinions on saturn go, the closest thing to an rpg i've ever beaten was shenmue... yes, that's right, shenmue (although i did put 50+ hours into DWIII on gbc).

oh, i beat pokemon too, but i hate the series now so i don't talk about that...

:oops:
I have no sig whatsoever.
kidneythief
Banned User

Post by kidneythief »

I'd be weary of some of the ebay sellers pimping jap. model saturns for 60-80 bucks with shipping. Not that it's not a fair price or anything, but a lot of them have slightly deceptive descriptions. For instance, when I got mine, it was all B BB B no box etc, when it got here the poor feller was very scratched and felt much looser than my domestic saturn. The controls were cracked and on one of them the plastic was very scraped off some of the buttons, I'd say C at best.

I got off much luckier than a friend of mine though, his came with a royally fucked up laser and had to shell out 40 bucks just to get it repaired! All in all though, it's probably more worthwhile to own a japanese model. I prefer my J model because no annoying converter, I don't trust those one bit to be honest. Plus I just like the color :) Not as nice as the dreamcast's white-ness, but it's still much prettier than the BLACK EVIL DEVIL version :) it doesn't really make a difference though, unless you want to play a few games like panzer saga or kaitei daisensou, which apparently fail to load when using a converter or region switch. its a pity really because a universal saturn would be a nice thing to have, japanese shooties and action and puzzle games, US for the occasional RPG when your bored!

good luck though buddy
Thou shalt not Dumb
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

kidneythief wrote:it doesn't really make a difference though, unless you want to play a few games like panzer saga or kaitei daisensou, which apparently fail to load when using a converter or region switch. its a pity really because a universal saturn would be a nice thing to have
I've done many region mods for people over the years, and my own system has a region mod setup. Haven't had a problem with any game, including those two mentioned. (I play Kaitei Daisensou a bit actually) A proper region mod essentially turns the system into a Japanese one, except for the boot screen of course. The Japanese boot screen's cool. ;)
kidneythief
Banned User

Post by kidneythief »

hey i did say APPARENTLY, sheesh :)
Thou shalt not Dumb
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Oh yeah, I know man. :)
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

2. Panzer Dragoon Saga / Azel will refuse to boot if it detects a cheat device in the cartridge port. There is an AR code to work around this, though, so no big deal there.

DAAAAAAAAAH!!! So, THAT'S why I have to use an ST Key with my US PDS on my JP SS. Everything else works fine with my 5in1
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

superhitachi4 wrote:US model 2 modified with a JP/US toggle, official Sega 4MB RAM cart, and modboard all the way. ;)
Anyone still mod saturns with modchips?
matt

Post by matt »

kidneythief wrote:unless you want to play a few games like panzer saga or kaitei daisensou, which apparently fail to load when using a converter or region switch.
You are wrong. Panzer Saga works fine with a switch, as does In the Hunt. Some games (PDS I think, plus Souk and a couple others), however, don't work with converter carts. The region switch really is a perfect solution.

Actually, Kaitei Daisensou is a buggy piece of crap and often refuses to work no matter what type of Saturn you're using. This is the source of the "mod detection" myth.
Anyone still mod saturns with modchips?
Maybe.
kidneythief
Banned User

Post by kidneythief »

Yes, there is a guy selling them (that plays backs - not imports) and somewhere around here there is a faq on a do-it-yourself region hack... also a lot of video game repair places will do region hacks for you... don't know about the whole 50/60 thing though if that concerns you
Thou shalt not Dumb
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Bar81 wrote:Anyone still mod saturns with modchips?
I mod pretty much everything, but I don't have anymore Saturn modboards. That however is a mod that anyone can easily do themselves, and save a bit of cash. There's a guy "racketboy" who still has the modboards, and I think he gets 15 US including shipping. Pretty decent, as they're rare. With a round button model 2, you can actually install the board without even soldering to the system at all. ;)
matt

Post by matt »

Are Saturn mod boards still off-limits on the forum?