Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Re: Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

Post by evil_ash_xero »

So...who are "the community" that would fix these issues?

Are we talking about Assembler and whatnot?
strygo

Post by strygo »

AVS is closed source as well. I had reached out after getting one and was thanked for the suggestion.

Similar to you, I'm surprised that more people haven't asked for the FBX/Wavebeam palettes.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I would like to just say once again that the problem I have isn't the palettes themselves. It's how the Hi Def NES represents the colors.
It's basically like a car salesmen telling you you're getting a red car, and a purple one shows up at your house.

I'm all for more palettes, but I just want to get across my issue with the system. And it needs to keep it's interpolation, otherwise you get a shaky image.

2 things would fix this device.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Since the Hi-Def NES and NESRGB are fundamentally incompatible (Both needing full control of the PPU, yes?), is there a way to get analogue output from the Hi-Def NES or digital output from the NESRGB to get simultaneous analogue and digital output?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Do we know if the Mega Sg could have the same color issue as the Super NT and NT Mini do?
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

nmalinoski wrote:Since the Hi-Def NES and NESRGB are fundamentally incompatible (Both needing full control of the PPU, yes?), is there a way to get analogue output from the Hi-Def NES or digital output from the NESRGB to get simultaneous analogue and digital output?
No this is not possible. You cannot use the HDMI and the composite or RF video at the same time. With the NESRGB you could get analog and digital but it's going to be by sending the analog signal to one device like a pvm. Then also sending it to another device like an OSSC, retrotink, capture card, etc. That is simply a matter of splitting the signal or using 2 different analog signals at once since the NESRGB outputs all of them at once.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I know people have jailbroken the NT systems, but can you do anything with that other than make it play games off of a SD card? Or can you actually add palettes, or fix "issues" with the systems?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I know people have jailbroken the NT systems, but can you do anything with that other than make it play games off of a SD card? Or can you actually add palettes, or fix "issues" with the systems?
Just for clarity, Kevtris would have to open source his projects before the community could make changes.

Maybe we could just ask Smokemonster how he reverse engineered everything and coded all the changes he released. ;) Of course, I'm trolling. It's obvious where the jailbreak firmwares are coming from.

Bottom line: It is what it is.
We apologise for the inconvenience
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

orange808 wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:I know people have jailbroken the NT systems, but can you do anything with that other than make it play games off of a SD card? Or can you actually add palettes, or fix "issues" with the systems?
Just for clarity, Kevtris would have to open source his projects before the community could make changes.

Maybe we could just ask Smokemonster how he reverse engineered everything and coded all the changes he released. ;) Of course, I'm trolling. It's obvious where the jailbreak firmwares are coming from.

That's greatly disappointing. I may just sell my HDMI modded system, if there's no hope. Or put something else in it.
Is it hard to get someone to de-mod this and go with NESRGB?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
orange808 wrote:

That's greatly disappointing. I may just sell my HDMI modded system, if there's no hope. Or put something else in it.
Is it hard to get someone to de-mod this and go with NESRGB?
If I remember correctly, Hi-Def NES involves socketing both the CPU and PPU, and the NESRGB only involves socketing the PPU, so I think all you'd need to do is disassemble the bits on the mobo, put the CPU in its socket, assemble the NESRGB and pop the PPU into the socket on the NESRGB (or solder it in if you have a frontloader), and then pop the NESRGB into the PPU socket on the mobo.

This is, of course, assuming that the Hi-Def NES and NESRGB use the same kind of sockets. I don't know if they do, but, if they don't, then you'll need to desolder the sockets as well. (Someone else will need to confirm.)

Edit: Not sure if the NESRGB will have enough clearance with the CPU also socketed, so that may need to be resoldered to the mainboard.
Last edited by nmalinoski on Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

nmalinoski wrote: If I remember correctly, Hi-Def NES involves socketing both the CPU and PPU, and the NESRGB only involves socketing the PPU, so I think all you'd need to do is disassemble the bits on the mobo, put the CPU in its socket, assemble the NESRGB and pop the PPU into the socket on the NESRGB (or solder it in if you have a frontloader), and then pop the NESRGB into the PPU socket on the mobo.

This is, of course, assuming that the Hi-Def NES and NESRGB use the same kind of sockets. I don't know if they do, but, if they don't, then you'll need to desolder the sockets as well. (Someone else will need to confirm.)
Thanks for the info. I think I'll buy a board, and get a modder to put it in, and take the other one out. I'll keep it, if someone fixes the damn thing. I have the feeling that Analogue will release a newer version of their HD NES, before anything takes place with this board.
I've seen on Tim's page a number of other pieces. What would I need for a toaster NES?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Thanks for the info. I think I'll buy a board, and get a modder to put it in, and take the other one out. I'll keep it, if someone fixes the damn thing. I have the feeling that Analogue will release a newer version of their HD NES, before anything takes place with this board.
I've seen on Tim's page a number of other pieces. What would I need for a toaster NES?
You'll need at least the NESRGB kit, and, if you want a bunch of ugly holes drilled in your bottom shell, pick up a 3D-printed AV Multi-out (would be my preference, so you can use regular SNES/N64/GameCube cables.

As for potential installation issues, the frontloaders don't have as much vertical clearance between the CPU/PPU and the EM shield/shell; so, if you keep the bottom EM shielding in place (would be my preference), the PPU will need to be soldered to the NESRGB rather than socketed. Also, I'm not sure if the NESRGB will be able to clear a socketed CPU, so there's a small chance that the CPU socket will need to be desoldered and the CPU resoldered to the mainboard.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

Is there any news on when/if the Hi-Def NES will be available for purchase again?
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Sargon wrote:Is there any news on when/if the Hi-Def NES will be available for purchase again?
Kevtris works for Analogue now so I don't see it happening. Your best bet would be to keep a check on ebay and/or reach out to game-tech.us. They occasionally have pre-modded consoles available.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

In February of 2019 Kevtris was still programming more boards for the HiDefNES kit. In May of last year they said there were 500 more kits coming in. Maybe ask Game-tech on twitter what is going on with stock.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Just checking in to see if any firmware has been changed, for this thing. I was griping about the palettes, for ages, but I doubt anything has been done.
Or, if interpolation has been re-added.
So many options, for the NESRGB, but this thing seems to be locked tight.