Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
sofakng

Re: Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

Post by sofakng »

EDIT: I'm talking with Jason from Game Tech and it sounds like they are having problems with the sockets on this latest batch. I'll report back if I hear anything. Thanks for the help everybody!
leonk

Post by leonk »

sofakng wrote:EDIT: I'm talking with Jason from Game Tech and it sounds like they are having problems with the sockets on this latest batch. I'll report back if I hear anything. Thanks for the help everybody!
I just completed 5 installs and I know exactly what he means. I had a very high failure rate with the 40 pin strips. I ended up ditching them and switching to my own 2x20 machine sockets off digikey. They cost almost $3 each but seem to have a good holding capability and are rated for over 500 insertions. Being gold plated can't be bad either.

I'm sure Jason and Kevin will figure this out.

BTW. Most of my failures occurred with the socketted interposers, not the NES socket. The thinner CPU/PPU legs more easily loose contact then the thick double sided strips that sit between the interposer and NES socket.

It's a pain to remove the strips from the interposers cleanly.. much more sensitive than the NES.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I had this exact issue and I was in the very first batch.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one.

However, I messed-up the interposer trying to desolder the sockets (very, very tight space) so I had to order a new set from Game Tech for $40. Seems a little unfair since the parts are apparently defective.

(EDIT: I've also ordered these sockets as a replacement; hopefully they are better. what the better ones from digikey?)
leonk

Post by leonk »

you need to search mouser/digikey and figure out what works best for you.

Problem in this industry is that a lot of cheaper stuff coming out of China and sold on eBay/amazon. They look the same but sure as hell dont perform the same! When buying from digikey/mouser you are paying for brand name that has been tested and certified for certain application / number of inserts (super important in critical systems!)

eBay... only good thing there is price. But how much is your time work figuring out you got defective sockets?
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

I skipped most of the interposers completely and soldered directly to the boards. I don't plan on removing the CPU/PPU anyway so it felt like the right choice to avoid this problem. I was stupid when I ordered it though and asked for the interposers to be pre-installed. Took forever for me to remove them and clean up the holes. You have to move two resistors and two capacitors from the top of the board to the bottom side if you want to have the CPU/PPU boards sit flush with the NES motherboard. Then you also have to take flush wire cutters and trim the interposer pins sticking out of the CPU/PPU boards before soldering it all on. That way the CPU/PPU chips themselves sit perfectly on the add-on boards.

Pardon my crappy cell phone pics. I know this isn't the "preferred" method but I really like it. Feels way more sturdy and it isn't so freaking tall like it would be with all those interposer layers.http://imgur.com/a/6LOHG

EDIT: I still need to clean up the flux though and do a bit more work replacing the capacitors and such.
leonk

Post by leonk »

tad extreme. :)

I think a better solution (for those that are doing 1 off's for themselves and don't mind using less sockets) is to socket the NES PCB, and solder the PPU/CPU to the interposers.

The pin strips that sit inside the interposers are thicker than the CPU/PPU pins. They sit snug inside a machine socket or whip socket. It's the CPU/PPU that can potentially lose contact and is safe to solder (you can always get another CPU/PPU from a parts console for cheap).
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

That's a good point about only socketing the NES PCB but for troubleshooting it's nice to be able to simply swap parts. I understand about the CPU/PPU pin strips being thin though and not being secure.

I guess I'll need to decide how to proceed once I receive my replacement interposers. In theory it seems better to socket everything assuming the connections were solid but I guess that's the problem...
leonk

Post by leonk »

sofakng wrote:I guess I'll need to decide how to proceed once I receive my replacement interposers. In theory it seems better to socket everything assuming the connections were solid but I guess that's the problem...
For CPU/PPU pins, I think the whip type sockets are better than the machined barrel type. The problem with the whip sockets is that they don't sit flush on the interposers. The tips of the connector strips bump up against the plastic. The machined type don't have that plastic problem.

Hard to explain with words. You'll know what I mean once you have it in your hand and compare. :)
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Forgive me, but what's a whip socket? I can't find anything on Google :(
RGBSource

Post by RGBSource »

sofakng wrote:Forgive me, but what's a whip socket? I can't find anything on Google :(
Dual wipe socket. The standard type of socket intended for DIP (Dual-In-Line Package) ICs.

leonk wrote:The problem with the whip sockets is that they don't sit flush on the interposers. The tips of the connector strips bump up against the plastic.
You can always trim the strip so that it's flush with the interposer IC. Additionally, you can shave a little bit of plastic to ensure a flush fit.
leonk

Post by leonk »

mental note: never type replies to forum posts using your iPhone with autocorrect enabled!! ;)
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Is there a big difference in quality with the dual wipe sockets from different vendors? Would a simple one from Radio Shack work OK?

(I still can't decide to directly solder the CPU/PPU to the interposers or use the machine pin sockets or the dual wipe sockets)

It sounds like what you're recommending is either directly solder the CPU/PPU to the interposers, or use machine-pins between the NES and interposers and then dual wipe on the interposers for the actual chips.
leonk

Post by leonk »

I've done both with equal reliability.

If I was doing my own console, I would solder a front loader and socket a top loader. Front loaders will bottom out with the dual wipe sockets.

Jason and Kevin did an awesome job with measuring the gap. Only dual machine sockets wont bottom out on front loader.
sonicmoj

Post by sonicmoj »

I'm considering having this kit installed but would like to know if the EverDrive N8 will work after the mod kit install?

Thanks,
Joel
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

I've asked the same question and was told that it will work fine. There is the problem with the Analog NT (I THINK!), but the Hi-Def NES should work.

I'm finishing my install this afternoon (after USPS) arrives and I'll test my Everdrive N8 and report back. I'm also using an NTSC top-load if you're curious.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

sonicmoj wrote:I'm considering having this kit installed but would like to know if the EverDrive N8 will work after the mod kit install?

Thanks,
Joel
Yes. It works fine.

Some observations:

Both the Hi Def NES and the Everdrive are very sensitive to the power supply. Get yourself a nice power strip and try to not to run too many things on the same circuit as the NES.

The Everdrive is hyper sensitive to dirty pins. I have had times that the Everdrive is the only cart that won't boot up--because the pins needed to be cleaned.

The Everdrive has troubles with fragmentation on sdcards. Both Windows and Mac will do this. Format your card and write everything you want on the sdcard at once. I have found that adding files one by one creates problems.
We apologise for the inconvenience
leonk

Post by leonk »

This Hi Def nes sensitivity to PSU is the first I hear of it.

I've had mine running on anything from NES to Genesis AC adapters with 0 issues. If anything, you bypass the AC/DC circuit in the NES and use the one on the hi def nes! that's how you can do cool things like press the RESET button on the NES, but only the background image resets while the hi def nes menu stays on!
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

leonk wrote:This Hi Def nes sensitivity to PSU is the first I hear of it.

I've had mine running on anything from NES to Genesis AC adapters with 0 issues. If anything, you bypass the AC/DC circuit in the NES and use the one on the hi def nes! that's how you can do cool things like press the RESET button on the NES, but only the background image resets while the hi def nes menu stays on!
Is there a tutorial on how to do that? That sounds really interesting.
leonk

Post by leonk »

!?? The hi def nes installation instructions are online.

Stock famicom and NES will work fine with Genesis 1 DC adapters.
sonicmoj

Post by sonicmoj »

orange808 wrote:
sonicmoj wrote:I'm considering having this kit installed but would like to know if the EverDrive N8 will work after the mod kit install?

Thanks,
Joel
Yes. It works fine.

Some observations:

Both the Hi Def NES and the Everdrive are very sensitive to the power supply. Get yourself a nice power strip and try to not to run too many things on the same circuit as the NES.

The Everdrive is hyper sensitive to dirty pins. I have had times that the Everdrive is the only cart that won't boot up--because the pins needed to be cleaned.

The Everdrive has troubles with fragmentation on sdcards. Both Windows and Mac will do this. Format your card and write everything you want on the sdcard at once. I have found that adding files one by one creates problems.
Thanks for the information. I'll keep all this mind.
Ripthorn

Post by Ripthorn »

I'm having signal drops for 1 second, usually between 30 and 60 minutes of use. The problem does not repeat until I turn the NES power off and on again. Already switched the HDMI cable and power supply and still persists.

What could be causing this problem?
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Ripthorn, I was just about to post about a similar problem.

The HDMI signal is dropping out after a few minutes (it doesn't take as long as 30; it's happened in less than 5 minutes) and then it's usually fine for a while.

Are you using an EverDrive? I also seem to remember others having this problem and adjusting something in the HiDef NES settings?
Ripthorn

Post by Ripthorn »

sofakng wrote:Ripthorn, I was just about to post about a similar problem.

The HDMI signal is dropping out after a few minutes (it doesn't take as long as 30; it's happened in less than 5 minutes) and then it's usually fine for a while.

Are you using an EverDrive? I also seem to remember others having this problem and adjusting something in the HiDef NES settings?
Yeah, I'm using a Everdrive, but the same problem happened with my Lagrange Point cartridge too.
Both are 60 pins and I'm using them with an adapter. So far I have not played too much a 72 pins game.
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

Hi all,

I am new to the site, Jason from Game-Tech.us recommended I join up here. I am also doing installs of the Hi-Def NES, so if anyone is interested in having theirs installed feel free to shoot me a message at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com.

I will have some pictures and videos posted after the next batch comes in. Currently have a few machines sitting in wait.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I haven't been following this thread, so please forgive me if this has been discussed.

I had my board installed (wonderful work by Voultar), and it runs great. However....what is with the palette? It says it's FCEUX, but it doesn't look like that from my emulator, or my NESRGB modded systems.
The palette underneath it (can't remember the name) is closer, but still pretty far off.

My main irritant is a lot of the time reds will look magenta, or straight up purple. Like the car in Blaster Master.

I've hooked it up to a couple of TVs, and have had slightly different results. I've also fiddled with the Hue and colors quite a bit. I cannot get it to look anywhere near what it looks like on other set ups.

Anyone else have this issue? I would love to see some pics of Blaster Master, with the FCEUX palette turned on. Especially when you are in the overhead stages. I can get Magenta with the second palette, but FCEUX is purple.
If I crank the red up to where it looks red, the whites turn pink. It's impossible.

It's a nice piece of hardware though. I can get the picture to look the way I want. Except for the colors.
Which does dampen some of my enthusiasm.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I haven't been following this thread, so please forgive me if this has been discussed.

I had my board installed (wonderful work by Voultar), and it runs great. However....what is with the palette? It says it's FCEUX, but it doesn't look like that from my emulator, or my NESRGB modded systems.
The palette underneath it (can't remember the name) is closer, but still pretty far off.

My main irritant is a lot of the time reds will look magenta, or straight up purple. Like the car in Blaster Master.

I've hooked it up to a couple of TVs, and have had slightly different results. I've also fiddled with the Hue and colors quite a bit. I cannot get it to look anywhere near what it looks like on other set ups.

Anyone else have this issue? I would love to see some pics of Blaster Master, with the FCEUX palette turned on. Especially when you are in the overhead stages. I can get Magenta with the second palette, but FCEUX is purple.
If I crank the red up to where it looks red, the whites turn pink. It's impossible.

It's a nice piece of hardware though. I can get the picture to look the way I want. Except for the colors.
I have the same problems.

There are more options on the way:
game-tech.us wrote:Also, the kit does have more than one palette so you're not 'stuck with whatever' and Kev does plan to add at least 2 more palettes on the next firmware update. There's room for around 6 more, but no one was really able to suggest more than a couple so far (on the nesdev thread iirc).
I'm still holding out hope for a user pallete that we can upload from a flash cart, but that feature isn't on the radar right now.
We apologise for the inconvenience
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

orange808 wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:I haven't been following this thread, so please forgive me if this has been discussed.

I have the same problems.

There are more options on the way:
game-tech.us wrote:Also, the kit does have more than one palette so you're not 'stuck with whatever' and Kev does plan to add at least 2 more palettes on the next firmware update. There's room for around 6 more, but no one was really able to suggest more than a couple so far (on the nesdev thread iirc).
I'm still holding out hope for a user pallete that we can upload from a flash cart, but that feature isn't on the radar right now.

Glad to know it's not just me. Will it be very hard to flash upcoming palettes?
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

If I remember right you need something like an everdrive or the powerpak to update the firmware in it, which I would assume is how you'd update the palettes as well. Hopefully it won't be too much longer till we get an update. I believe that quote above was from last year some time and hasn't been implemented yet.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Johnpv wrote:If I remember right you need something like an everdrive or the powerpak to update the firmware in it, which I would assume is how you'd update the palettes as well. Hopefully it won't be too much longer till we get an update. I believe that quote above was from last year some time and hasn't been implemented yet.
Ah OK. I have that.

Still, when the colors are this off with FCEUX....I wonder what kind of guarantee the colors will be "right" with the next palettes? I really like FCEUX...on average.
But when red is purple...there's some kind of issue going on. I wonder if Kevtris knows about it?