Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
narunetto

Re: Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

Post by narunetto »

CkRtech wrote: I know one person that bought one, and he was getting some flack on Twitter for it. His response was more or less said he didn't want to buy someone's 30-year-old, used system that had been hacked up for RGB and/or HDMI. <shrug>.
So he wanted to buy an overpriced redesign that uses parts from a cannibalized 30 year old system that was also "hacked" up the same exact way for RGB? That's a really stupid reason. It's the same exact fucking thing for more money.
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

narunetto wrote:
CkRtech wrote: I know one person that bought one, and he was getting some flack on Twitter for it. His response was more or less said he didn't want to buy someone's 30-year-old, used system that had been hacked up for RGB and/or HDMI. <shrug>.
So he wanted to buy an overpriced redesign that uses parts from a cannibalized 30 year old system that was also "hacked" up the same exact way for RGB? That's a really stupid reason. It's the same exact fucking thing for more money.
Well, I am sure he also liked the design aesthetic as well. As far as the older components, I think it only uses the original PPU and CPU? Not sure if it uses newer ram, but certainly the various caps, resistors, power circuit are their own thing. Also, it has the fancy design aesthetic on the outside.

I could be mistaken when it comes to him picking up the HDMI version. He does have a framemeister, so I imagine he will be using that. Also note that I only know him in passing and don't really keep in communication with him - Otherwise I could have explained some cheaper alternatives.

Also - Keep in mind that most gamers don't know anything about the internal workings of a system the way people here, on Assembler, etc, do. So they are most likely going to take an average consumer approach when it comes to buying this stuff. That is - they are going to see a company with a professional-looking website that is selling a high end product with a warranty and take that approach rather than the "I know a guy" approach to getting a mod done.
undamned

Post by undamned »

CkRtech wrote:That is - they are going to see a company with a professional-looking website that is selling a high end product with a warranty and take that approach rather than the "I know a guy" approach to getting a mod done.
This.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Unfortunately the rabble can never wrap their heads around products and mods that really improve old consoles. Rabble-rabble! :P

I wonder how the inclusion of the HDNES in the Nt will affect GameTechUS' plan to be the "exclusive" installer of the HDNES?
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

I never planned to be the only installer, just at first to make sure all is good, but even that plan may not be necessary.
FBX

Post by FBX »

BazookaBen wrote:I just thought of something. Wouldn’t it be nice if this thing had a 960p mode that could be put inside a 1080p frame, to get square pixels and perfect scanlines without sacrificing too much screen real-estate?

Actually do any of the XRGB's even do this? Seems like a pretty obvious feature that a lot of people would use.
My custom profiles for the XRGB-mini do exactly that, and the added benefit of aspect correction. I also include 5x modes, where some of the graphics are cut off sort of like a CRT does. Those 5x modes seem to be just as popular as the 4x scale ones, though scanlines look a little too thin on 5x.
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Latest update from Kevtris:

Woot, I finally sent the stuff off so the HiDefNES boards are in production! I have also posted the final "pre production" update. I don't know how long it will be until I get boards in hand but I will probably post another update video when that happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R5PZQ78NJ0
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R5PZQ7 ... .be&t=1058

Please design and release the SPDIF and DAC PCB designs to OSHPark! Thanks for the clarification on why MCLK isn't provided. :mrgreen:
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

I am definitely wondering how much these kits will run when made available for public install. Exciting times.

Also a fan of SPDIF. :mrgreen:
Kilokahn

Post by Kilokahn »

Game-Tech: I am very interested in this since my wife and I are starting a fundraiser about gaming for cancer, I'd like to focus on the classics including the NES. I emailed you about it privately. Thanks!
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

Kilokahn wrote:Game-Tech: I am very interested in this since my wife and I are starting a fundraiser about gaming for cancer, I'd like to focus on the classics including the NES. I emailed you about it privately. Thanks!
Kilokahn? ....from Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad???
Kilokahn

Post by Kilokahn »

CkRtech wrote:
Kilokahn wrote:Game-Tech: I am very interested in this since my wife and I are starting a fundraiser about gaming for cancer, I'd like to focus on the classics including the NES. I emailed you about it privately. Thanks!
Kilokahn? ....from Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad???
Indeed, Tim Curry rocks. I have had this handle since the late 90s. :) Heck I even used this handle when I worked at GameShark.
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Kevin's latest update:

Ooooh yeah. PCBs have arrived!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFbGa7fdcVY

It won't be long now!

////////////////////////

I have already had an email asking if this means it's time to ship their console to me!?!? LOL NO!
I know you all are very excited to get this done, but my request of 'please don't email us and bug us about this until concrete plans are put out there' is still in effect, sorry...
Kevin is close on his end, but he will only have 100 kits and we haven't decided how to sell them just yet. Not to mention they aren't really done yet and I don't have any in my possession yet. Nor do I want a bunch consoles to show up at my house waiting to be modded...
The good news is updates and news will come more often now that kits are in hand and being finished up!
D

Post by D »

Thanks for the update. Such an exciting project.
Would it be possible to build in an optional subtle effect, like a reverb? Older consoles tend to sound too digital and too bold. Sometimes a little reverb really livens up the sound. Keep us posted.
ckong

Post by ckong »

Nice update. the end of waiting is near. :D

I do feel a bit unpleasant watching someone on youtube who isn't looking straigt into the camera. :roll: :wink:
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

D wrote:Thanks for the update. Such an exciting project.
Would it be possible to build in an optional subtle effect, like a reverb? Older consoles tend to sound too digital and too bold. Sometimes a little reverb really livens up the sound. Keep us posted.
Your average home AVR probably has something like this built in you can use
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

ckong wrote:I do feel a bit unpleasant watching someone on youtube who isn't looking straigt into the camera. :roll: :wink:
Michele Bachmann'd

By the way gametech, any plans to include a properly scaled 960p option (where it is inside the 1080p frame)?
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

BazookaBen wrote: By the way gametech, any plans to include a properly scaled 960p option (where it is inside the 1080p frame)?
Not at this time.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Any word on where/how the DIY kits will be sold and what the expected price will be? It looks like Stone Age Gamer has some item listings with Game Tech US videos?
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Nothing is set yet, i'll post here when it is.
I have the nes-101 composite pcb for sale through them with vid attached to ease installation.
The hi-def NES kit will not be sold through them till initial demand is met and Kevin says it's ok, remember this is not 'my' product, i'm just helping sell, distribute, and instal them...
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

game-tech.us wrote:Nothing is set yet, i'll post here when it is.
Sounds good.
game-tech.us wrote:remember this is not 'my' product
There was never any confusion about that! :wink:
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

game-tech.us wrote:
BazookaBen wrote: By the way gametech, any plans to include a properly scaled 960p option (where it is inside the 1080p frame)?
Not at this time.
Shame. Makes the 1080p mode pretty much useless for people like us!

However, I have an older brother who's NES i'd love to have this mod done for.

Eagerly awaiting.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

game-tech.us wrote:
Not at this time.
Really? Based off of Kevtris' videos, it appears you can set it to nX scaling (where n is an integer in the range of 1 to 5)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fwdTdgCMok

Or are you thinking of DVI output resolution of 1280x960?
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

We have the first batch of kits now, but are not planning to sell any just yet so be patient, watch these vids for more info:
First look at kits and lots of talk with Kevtris:
https://youtu.be/ocpjW9tnb7w
First full instal on US top loader:
https://youtu.be/hvBSoZ1MkRk
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Ok the first 6 Hi-Def NES modded US top loaders are up for auction on ebay, just search nes hdmi.
They were a bit late as I had a hell of a time uploading them because ebay wouldn't let me upload them and they weren't specific enough about why so I had to try several times. Turns out you can use the word 'mod' in the title, but if you say kit they think it has bundled accessories and if you are listing in the consoles category and don't have the bundled accs option listed then it won't upload. I was doing this from misterlister or whatever that shitty prog is named now. Then they marked them as duplicates even though I used different pics for top and bottom shots on each auction and some different txt in description. I had to add the 3 numbers of the serial number to the title to get them to release all the auctions as not dupes, FK!!!
alamone

Post by alamone »

Title of thread "mod kit"
Look into thread, only see link to ebay auctions

game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

alamone wrote:Title of thread "mod kit"

What link? I didn't post a link...
You have to actually watch the vids to know why it's happening the way it is for now.
FBX

Post by FBX »

I eventually got tired of the teasers & promises from the original designers, so I got a Framemeister & NESRGB mod, and never looked back.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

game-tech.us wrote:

What link? I didn't post a link...
You have to actually watch the vids to know why it's happening the way it is for now.
Link. No link. What difference does it make when you advertise it either way?
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

This vid is a run through of the menu and some features and some game-play on a 120" 1080p projection setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuw6EZdj2tE