Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ed Oscuro

Re: Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

Post by Ed Oscuro »

darcagn wrote:[the multiout connector has] been backported on the AV Famicom and NES top-loader (never used in off-the-shelf systems but sometimes people who had their top-loaders repaired by Nintendo received consoles back with multiout connectors).
The latest research I've seen indicates that people actually did get some toploaders with the multiout (and fixed video rev) from some store chains. Meijer's, a Midestern US store chain, apparently was one of them. If only I'd been thinking about this back in the early '90s :lol: Of course, that would have taken a long time to save up for...

Just to add my $0.02, after talking with retro_console_accessories here about labeling, I've noticed they now ship their new cables with a little yellow sticker describing the important points, so I don't have to use masking tape labels on those. I'm not sure if I got the ball rolling on that, but I am quite happy that it makes picking up cables a bit more foolproof. Unless I'm not following the thread right, I think this mostly solves one of the issues ckrtech had with people using the wrong cables. And, for whatever it's worth, I actually always liked the looks of the multiout connector.
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

There was a vrc7 mapper released for the NES Everdrive. This means Lagrange Point can be played!
I had some trouble getting a couple of the roms to work, english translation worked 2 times and not once since...
The hi-def nes kit shines here as it's the only way to get the expansion audio to work since the kit generates it internally, no need for the exp audio part of the mapper pack to work, which currently does not.
It was also my first attempt at audio capture via line out or headphone jack of the projector and tv, neither work very well.
Can anybody recommend a good hdmi 1080p capture card?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wWs2j2S0Q
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

1080p capture cards:

My friend seems pretty happy with the AVerMedia CV710 ExtremeCap U3 capture card for 1080p60 (sample).

I've heard the Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI is pretty good too, also 1080p60 (review).
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

I use an Elgato Game Capture HD and have been happy with it. They have the HD60 now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

One concern I have is - You run Windows XP, right?
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

CkRtech wrote:I use an Elgato Game Capture HD and have been happy with it. They have the HD60 now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

One concern I have is - You run Windows XP, right?
The office pc yes, but I can use the main pc that's hooked to the projector, it's win7-64.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

CkRtech wrote:I use an Elgato Game Capture HD and have been happy with it.
Okay, that looks pretty good. I'm struggling to find any downside, really. I thought I'd at least need USB 3.0, but it looks like 2.0 is all need.

Can you upload a 5 or 10-second clip somewhere just so I can make sure it plays nice with my editing software (AviSynth, VirtualDub, and Xvid4PSP)? 8)
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I"m a bit out of the loop, but I saw the test vid, on Jason's big TV. Was the issue with the scanlines figured out?
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I"m a bit out of the loop, but I saw the test vid, on Jason's big TV. Was the issue with the scanlines figured out?
Kev says scanlines in 1080p mode will be messed up since there is something like 4.5 pixels scaled to one nes pixel, so must use 720 or 480 to get perfect scalines.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

game-tech.us wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:I"m a bit out of the loop, but I saw the test vid, on Jason's big TV. Was the issue with the scanlines figured out?
Kev says scanlines in 1080p mode will be messed up since there is something like 4.5 pixels scaled to one nes pixel, so must use 720 or 480 to get perfect scalines.
That also means the HDN will always have vertical scrolling artifacts in 1080p mode. :x Does Kev have any plans to add a 5x scaling option?
FBX

Post by FBX »

I'm so glad I didn't invest in this. No 4x or 5x scale in 1080p would be a total deal-breaker in my opinion.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

The upside? One more unit for someone else! :wink:
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

FBX wrote:I'm so glad I didn't invest in this. No 4x or 5x scale in 1080p would be a total deal-breaker in my opinion.
Well no big loss considering he wasn't looking for investors.

I am curious why it doesn't have more options. I would figure getting the NES working with HDMI output would be the hard part, and adding scaling options would be easy by comparison.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

BazookaBen wrote:
FBX wrote:I'm so glad I didn't invest in this. No 4x or 5x scale in 1080p would be a total deal-breaker in my opinion.
Just FBX being contemptuous... :roll:
BazookaBen wrote:I am curious why it doesn't have more options. I would figure getting the NES working with HDMI output would be the hard part, and adding scaling options would be easy by comparison.
He ran out of space on the FGPA, so it was a matter of choosing which features he wanted over others. I hope that in future FW he trades out certain functionality. :)
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

game-tech.us wrote:
So just offer a 4x Mode with empty space and scanlines. Everything is peachy. :roll: (Or a 5x Mode with cropping. You should only lose about 24 lines.)

I would think many more people would rather have 4x or 5x scale with 1080p than some of those arguably uneeded CPU filters.
FBX

Post by FBX »

BazookaBen wrote:
Invest in this case is another term for "buy". I didn't mean financially back it or anything like that.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

BONKERS wrote:I would think many more people would rather have 4x or 5x scale with 1080p than some of those arguably uneeded PPU? filters.
I agree. However, the likelihood of Kev changing anything at this point is close to 0%. :? Only way to get integer vertical scaling is to use 720p or 480p modes. The graphic filter effects do make the HDN more competitive with the Retron 5 and the AVS (RetroUSB FPGA HDMI NES).

One can hope down the road that Kev or someone else makes a UHD version - 9x scale anyone? :mrgreen: (9 * 240 = 2160)
yxkalle

Post by yxkalle »

RGB32E wrote:
BONKERS wrote:I would think many more people would rather have 4x or 5x scale with 1080p than some of those arguably uneeded PPU? filters.
I agree. However, the likelihood of Kev changing anything at this point is close to 0%. :? Only way to get integer vertical scaling is to use 720p or 480p modes.
Guess what Kevtris just posted at nesdev? Never doubt this man! :mrgreen:
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

yxkalle wrote:
RGB32E wrote:
I agree. However, the likelihood of Kev changing anything at this point is close to 0%. :? Only way to get integer vertical scaling is to use 720p or 480p modes.
Guess what Kevtris just posted at nesdev? Never doubt this man! :mrgreen:
Ugggggg.... :mrgreen:

I asked Kev over PM about 4x/5x and he said it wasn't going to happen with a "sorry 'bout that", and now this! :wink:
kevtris wrote:These are the things I want to add:

* 4x 1080p mode (Might work on PAL, maybe not)
* 5x 1080p mode (NTSC only. PAL not possible)
I hope he's successful at adding these scaling options!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'm really wondering how the 4x and 5x modes are supposed to work. To quote Kevtris from his own posting:
the NES and HDMI are locked together in synchrony so I only need to buffer a couple scanlines. The HDMI is emitted a couple scanlines after the NES' PPU generated it. Since the two are interlocked, there's no tearing or frame duplication or removal.
Isn't THIS exactly why a pillarboxed output (4x 240p = 960p) doesn't work with a lagfree design ?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Fudoh wrote:I'm really wondering how the 4x and 5x modes are supposed to work. To quote Kevtris from his own posting:
the NES and HDMI are locked together in synchrony so I only need to buffer a couple scanlines. The HDMI is emitted a couple scanlines after the NES' PPU generated it. Since the two are interlocked, there's no tearing or frame duplication or removal.
Isn't THIS exactly why a pillarboxed output (4x 240p = 960p) doesn't work with a lagfree design ?
Maybe it needs to buffer just a few more lines? While the NES is churning out data for, say, lines 1 through 8, the HDMI board is producing the first 60 black lines before the beginning of the 960p frame.

Anyway, this is a great development and I'm glad Kevtris is listening.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

From Twitter:
@krikzz 1 minute ago
#EverDrive N8 OS v13. Now compatible with NES HDMI adapter!
krikzz.com/forum/index.ph...
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

blizzz wrote:From Twitter:
@krikzz 1 minute ago
Excellent! Thanks for the update, will spread the word!
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Voultar wrote:To cast blame (if he is, in fact) in retrospect for a piece of hardware (The Everdrive) that doesn't get along with something that came out years after the fact it silly and moot. I'm blaming Krikkzz for not doing his due-diligence and designing his flash-cart for unknown devices that augment NES hardware by other faculties. He should have called Ms. Cleo, or used that crystal ball of truth that I know he has.

Let's not be ridiculous in blaming Krikkzz' hardware.
Doesn't mean he shouldn't fix issues that arise, which is why it's updatable afterall! :wink:

blizzz wrote:From Twitter:
@krikzz 1 minute ago
Good find blizzz!
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

awesome news!!...well dont krikzz
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Voultar wrote:To cast blame (if he is, in fact) in retrospect for a piece of hardware (The Everdrive) that doesn't get along with something that came out years after the fact it silly and moot. I'm blaming Krikkzz for not doing his due-diligence and designing his flash-cart for unknown devices that augment NES hardware by other faculties. He should have called Ms. Cleo, or used that crystal ball of truth that I know he has.

Let's not be ridiculous in blaming Krikkzz' hardware.
RGB32E wrote:Doesn't mean he shouldn't fix issues that arise, which is why it's updatable afterall! :wink:

I don't believe anyone argued that Krikkz doesn't provide support for his products? ;)
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Kevtris added a 1080p 4x scaling mode! Unfortunately a 5x mode didn't turn out to be possible. Expect an update video soon!

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=157388#p157388
Kevtris wrote:OK the update's almost ready. I have done all I can do. I will do some testing and then probably release the .nes file in a few days.

The changes are as follows:

Code: Select all

;Version 2.0 updates:
;
;* Fixed up timing so that FDS, MMC5, and Everdrive should be fixed.
;
;* Fixed scanline modes not being saved.
;
;* Changed cadence of LED in composite mode
;
;* Changed behaviour of HDMI and composite modes so turning off monitor doesn't reset game.
;
;* Suppress rolling image on start, and do not reset PPU on reset to prevent the rolling.
;
;* Fixed MMC5 digi relative volume 
;
;* Changed FDS default volume to 48 from 80
;
;* Audio channels were being saved.  Changed to always reset on power up.
;
;* Cleaned up code 
;
;* Added 4x mode for NTSC 1080p
;
;
I could not add 5x mode to 1080p because there's not enough scanline buffer to do so. I would've needed another 15-20 lines and I just don't have it. I did add 4x mode though. It's toggled in the renamed save and options menu (since I ran out of menu entries everywhere else). That was the originally save and update.

I do not think I can add anything else now. The FPGA's sitting at 99% full with around 50LE's left out of 10000, and the menu code's full up too with maybe 15-20 bytes free in there as well. So don't ask for anything else since it isn't happening :-)

Going to make a video tonight/tomorrow about the new stuff for the official release including how the update is applied, etc.

Small update: That zelda hack is doing the identical corrupted thing on my totally stock front loader without the adapter installed, so the adapter is doing the same thing. That makes me feel better. I am going to make a cart of it for testing to see if it does it there as well.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Radical.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

How does a firmware update work on this one once it's installed ?
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

Fudoh wrote:How does a firmware update work on this one once it's installed ?
It's distributed as a .nes file so I'm assuming it's updated by loading an NES ROM through an EverDrive or PowerPak.