Just got a new monitor...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
disposition

Just got a new monitor...

Post by disposition »

... and I need some help finding info on rgb cables. The monitor is a Mitsubishi AM-2752A(pdf format); it has DB-9, DB-25, and BNC 5 inputs. Does it matter which one I use? I'll mainly be using it for my Saturn & PS2, but I'd like to be able to be able to use it with any system that has tate-able shmups.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind that I'd like to try to make the cables on my own, but I'd also be willing to buy them if the price is right.

-Nathan
Pingu

Post by Pingu »

Well, first you need RGB leads for your console, stick to either japanese RGB or SCART, don't mix them. I think SCART is easier to get cheap so it would be prefered I think. The best thing would then be to make a SCART to BNC adapter but you'll probably need to import a female scart socket, a $5 scart extender cable would probably do. Then if your lucky your monitor will be able to accept composite sync, otherwise you will need to add a little IC to the mix, a LM1881 sync separator in order to split the signal up in horizontal and vertical sync. I'm sure you can get more good tips though.
matt

Re: Just got a new monitor...

Post by matt »

disposition wrote:... and I need some help finding info on rgb cables. The monitor is a Mitsubishi AM-2752A(pdf format); it has DB-9, DB-25, and BNC 5 inputs. Does it matter which one I use? I'll mainly be using it for my Saturn & PS2, but I'd like to be able to be able to use it with any system that has tate-able shmups.
Congrats on finding a really nice gaming monitor! The Megaview is an excellent display, especially for Dreamcast games since it'll display VGA resolution.

As for RGB inputs, you'll probably want to use the BNCs. The 9-pin is for digital only, and while the 25-pin probably works fine I've never been able to find a pinout diagram for it.
Any suggestions? Keep in mind that I'd like to try to make the cables on my own, but I'd also be willing to buy them if the price is right.
Probably your best bet would be to purchase a VGA->5 BNC cable, and make console adaptors with female VGA plugs. This way, you'll easily be able to use it with your game systems as well as PC, Dreamcast, etc.

IIRC the Megaviews will take composite video for sync, so there's no need to mess with sync separator circuits.

I can make the cables up if you need them - it'd probably be $35ish for PS2 and Saturn.