GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
maxtherabbit

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by maxtherabbit »

leonk wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:Are you sure it supports 55Hz vertical refresh?

I'd try dropping the v-sync amplitude down a bit if you can
You mean the PC monitor? sure does. Here's the final result; I replaced R34 with 10K resistor. Measuring at input pins of TVIA 5725.

VS - 55Hz, 3.9Vpp
HS - 31.6kHz, 3.4Vpp

Using stock firmware, I get solid picture on the TV. With GBS-Control, the screen is black, then comes in, stays for 5 seconds, and goes black again (all in passthru). So GBS-Control is doing something with sync that the TV doesn't like which stock firmware does not.

So at this point I'm stuck as the issue is a GBS-Control software issue and not hardware as far as I can see.
I meant "are you sure GBS-control supports 55Hz vertical" because I suspect it does not
strayan

Post by strayan »

What happens when you run the signal through a sync combiner?

Is transcoding RGBHV to component an option?
leonk

Post by leonk »

I own another X68K (that’s currently being serviced due to bad capacitors) at the time, I recall the voltage levels coming out of it were 1/2 of the OG unit. The result was that it would work directly on a PC monitor but not XRGB mini.

But what I clearly remember is that the unit (with I believe much lower Vpp on sync - around 2.5V) was working GREAT with this exact GBS8200 when it was modified for Csync input!

480p games displayed perfectly, and I would scale the 240p games to 1024x768.

So I do not believe there’s an issue with GBS-Control support of the resolutions and frequencies generated by the X68000. I think all the issues have to do with resolving the sync circuit resistor values and make sure the software is set to support it.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

Hello, quick question about removing the C11 SMD capacitor from the gbs 8200 and replacing with an electrolytic. Does it have to be bipolar or can it be polarized? I am getting bad noise when running OG xbox over 720p native res. In XBMC. Text is all wavy and noisy. Not sure if it's because I'm going from the GBS into an OSSC. I already tried power supply byspass fix by adding 5 extra caps and removing c11. Tried a different 5v 2amp power supply. All made no difference.
Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

slayrval wrote:Hello, quick question about removing the C11 SMD capacitor from the gbs 8200 and replacing with an electrolytic. Does it have to be bipolar or can it be polarized? I am getting bad noise when running OG xbox over 720p native res. In XBMC. Text is all wavy and noisy. Not sure if it's because I'm going from the GBS into an OSSC. I already tried power supply byspass fix by adding 5 extra caps and removing c11. Tried a different 5v 2amp power supply. All made no difference.
I don't know if that matters or if it has to be electrolytic to fix the issue you're having. On my 8220 board which was still noisy after adding the ferrit, I replaced the C11 SMD capacitor with another ceramic SMD capacitor at 22uf, and that worked for me.
Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

NoAffinity wrote:
Jon Nielsen wrote:
NoAffinity wrote:If you do the math, a 470R resistor actually gets you as close to 2vp-p as you can get with a standard rating resistor. Somebody check my math or educate me on why a 430R resistor @ >2vp-p would be better than a 470R at 2.0012vp-p (or at least something much closer to almost exactly 2.00000). :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It would certainly make it easier to test for me. I have plenty of 470R resistors. What calculation are you using ?

Cheers

Jon
The calculation on post 1, where Riref = the result of the existing 150r in parallel with x resistor. x = 430r per post 1, and by my calculation 470r is a more precise solution.

Right you are. Installed the 470 ohm in parallel and measured at 113 ohm now. Looks great.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

Jon Nielsen wrote:
slayrval wrote:Hello, quick question about removing the C11 SMD capacitor from the gbs 8200 and replacing with an electrolytic. Does it have to be bipolar or can it be polarized? I am getting bad noise when running OG xbox over 720p native res. In XBMC. Text is all wavy and noisy. Not sure if it's because I'm going from the GBS into an OSSC. I already tried power supply byspass fix by adding 5 extra caps and removing c11. Tried a different 5v 2amp power supply. All made no difference.
I don't know if that matters or if it has to be electrolytic to fix the issue you're having. On my 8220 board which was still noisy after adding the ferrit, I replaced the C11 SMD capacitor with another ceramic SMD capacitor at 22uf, and that worked for me.
Figured out what polarity should be, lead in middle of voltage regulator is the positive. Replaced C11 with 22uf electrolytic cap but no joy same exact noise. Replaced every electrolytic capacitor on the board with panasonic ones. Same exact picture. I'm thinking it may be a sampling setting in the OSSC? Is the a way to determine the signal settings the gbs is outputting and apply those settings to the OSSC?
Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

slayrval wrote:
Jon Nielsen wrote:
Figured out what polarity should be, lead in middle of voltage regulator is the positive. Replaced C11 with 22uf electrolytic cap but no joy same exact noise. Replaced every electrolytic capacitor on the board with panasonic ones. Same exact picture. I'm thinking it may be a sampling setting in the OSSC? Is the a way to determine the signal settings the gbs is outputting and apply those settings to the OSSC?
Perhaps you could post a picture of the problem and the settings you're thinking about. Have you used other devices with that console and cable/resolution.combination?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

slayrval wrote:
Jon Nielsen wrote:
Copper tape on the bottom side, over the ram lines should help. Videos on YouTube outlining the fix.

NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

strayan wrote:Is transcoding RGBHV to component an option?
Yes

slayrval

Post by slayrval »

NoAffinity wrote:
slayrval wrote:
Jon Nielsen wrote:Copper tape on the bottom side, over the ram lines should help. Videos on YouTube outlining the fix.

Yep tried this fix but had no difference in image
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Cycling dram frequency might help. Other than that, some gbs boards are just noisy.

Last edited by NoAffinity on Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

slayrval wrote:
Jon Nielsen wrote:]Hello, quick question about removing the C11 SMD capacitor from the gbs 8200 and replacing with an electrolytic. Does it have to be bipolar or can it be polarized? I am getting bad noise when running OG xbox over 720p native res. In XBMC. Text is all wavy and noisy. Not sure if it's because I'm going from the GBS into an OSSC. I already tried power supply byspass fix by adding 5 extra caps and removing c11. Tried a different 5v 2amp power supply. All made no difference.
Perhaps you could post a picture of the problem and the settings you're thinking about. Have you used other devices with that console and cable/resolution.combination?
If I go from the og xbox directly into ossc the image is pristine. Reason using gbs8200 is because it has motion adaptive deinterlace for 480i. One thing I noticed is that sync will contantly drop and come back with prohector for first few minutes. But after a few minutes it perfectly stable. Here is a video of what it looks like (xbmc interface at 720p 16:9). https://youtu.be/fZIZ6jplTWs
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

Sooo got vga to hdmi converter from eBay to remove osscfrom equation. No more noise on text! However now I'm getting weird screen tearing while sitting on static background. Also getting noise on solid color background now but lessens if I use a different 5v power supply. I'm thinking when I replace c11 with 22uf tantalum cap it may solve that noise. Maybe because I don't have clock generator board installed and input/output aren't syncing up 100% is what wierd tearing is from?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Clock gen would correct the screen tearing. If you got one of the cheap converter dongles, they are noisy. They add their own noise and amplify the gbs noise. At least that's my experience from 2 of them (and others reporting the same). No known solution for that.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Syntax wrote:Why is the wiki install guide for the clock generator missing the 1000pF cap on CLK0 pin2?

https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-contro ... tall-notes
I think Rama mentioned you don't need it but I can't find that post. It would be good if someone could confirm if it's required (I assume Rama is busy with Xstation)
Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

slayrval wrote:
slayrval wrote:
Jon Nielsen wrote:]Hello, quick question about removing the C11 SMD capacitor from the gbs 8200 and replacing with an electrolytic. Does it have to be bipolar or can it be polarized? I am getting bad noise when running OG xbox over 720p native res. In XBMC. Text is all wavy and noisy. Not sure if it's because I'm going from the GBS into an OSSC. I already tried power supply byspass fix by adding 5 extra caps and removing c11. Tried a different 5v 2amp power supply. All made no difference.
If I go from the og xbox directly into ossc the image is pristine. Reason using gbs8200 is because it has motion adaptive deinterlace for 480i. One thing I noticed is that sync will contantly drop and come back with prohector for first few minutes. But after a few minutes it perfectly stable. Here is a video of what it looks like (xbmc interface at 720p 16:9). https://youtu.be/fZIZ6jplTWs
For what it's worth, I had sync issues when digitizing GBS through OSSCs VGA port in high resolutions and heavy noise in lower resolutions or pass-through. That noise I'm pretty sure is due to the lack LPF filters on the OSSC VGA in. I didn't bother trying to figure out the sync issues, just used a VGA-HDMI adapter instead. This also had some noise - less so when moved away from the GBS with a short VGA cable.

Since switching to another GBS board and using component out I'm having no sync issues, and no noticable noise with my TV or Edge. The noise is also gone when going through the OSSC - with the right LPF filter in place. Pristine is a good word to describe how video looks now. My use-case is 480i also, as well as scaling, and sources that have several video types.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

NoAffinity wrote:Clock gen would correct the screen tearing. If you got one of the cheap converter dongles, they are noisy. They add their own noise and amplify the gbs noise. At least that's my experience from 2 of them (and others reporting the same). No known solution for that.
Thanks, when clock gen comes in Ill see if that fixes wierd tearing! Its almost there in terms of picture quality! I ordered a startech vga to hdmi adapter usb powered seems to be better quality than the cheap ones. It was $20 on ebay though so about double the cost. https://www.startech.com/en-us/audio-vi ... ts/vga2hdu
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

slayrval wrote:
Jon Nielsen wrote:
For what it's worth, I had sync issues when digitizing GBS through OSSCs VGA port in high resolutions and heavy noise in lower resolutions or pass-through. That noise I'm pretty sure is due to the lack LPF filters on the OSSC VGA in. I didn't bother trying to figure out the sync issues, just used a VGA-HDMI adapter instead. This also had some noise - less so when moved away from the GBS with a short VGA cable.

Since switching to another GBS board and using component out I'm having no sync issues, and no noticable noise with my TV or Edge. The noise is also gone when going through the OSSC - with the right LPF filter in place. Pristine is a good word to describe how video looks now. My use-case is 480i also, as well as scaling, and sources that have several video types.
Glad to hear not the only one with issues going from GBS into OSSC. Makes sense since OSSC doesn't have LPF on VGA input so explains noise. The output via component are you just using a VGA to Component cable and switching the toggle in GBS-control from RGBHV to Component? I ordered a gbs8220 since I want to split 2nd output to HDMI going to a capture card. I think I may get the monoprice vga to component cable going into OSSC and the second output startech vga to hdmi going to capture card :) Is the ferrite mod required for the gbs8220?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

slayrval wrote:
NoAffinity wrote:Clock gen would correct the screen tearing. If you got one of the cheap converter dongles, they are noisy. They add their own noise and amplify the gbs noise. At least that's my experience from 2 of them (and others reporting the same). No known solution for that.
Thanks, when clock gen comes in Ill see if that fixes wierd tearing! Its almost there in terms of picture quality! I ordered a startech vga to hdmi adapter usb powered seems to be better quality than the cheap ones. It was $20 on ebay though so about double the cost. https://www.startech.com/en-us/audio-vi ... ts/vga2hdu
Interested to hear how this works. I got a slightly more expensive one off ebay, too, which I linked above (or a page or two back, depending on how you're viewing this forum). It works much better - no noise and slightly better on ability to increase brightness. However, they all seem to output limited color range. Hoping you have the ability to confirm if the one you're getting also does the same, or offers a better solution in this regard.
MasoElCaveman

Post by MasoElCaveman »

Lots of great discussion in here! I just got my gbs8200 today and I can't wait to test it's motion adaptive deinterlacing against my OSSC's bob deinterlacing. Really hoping to get a more competitive image out of the ps2's 480i content when compared to the Xbox and Dreamcast's 480p.
MasoElCaveman

Post by MasoElCaveman »

MasoElCaveman wrote:I have an OSSC, but am somewhat distracted by the bob deinterlacing of 480i content from the ps2 so I really want compare motion adaptive deinterlacing and just ordered my gbs 8200 pre-made from https://www.tindie.com/products/chipnet ... converter/

However I intend to use a VGA to Component cable for the output, but I'm a little confused and if someone could clear this up for me that would be amazing. On resistor R26 I've seen I should replace that with a 110ohm resistor so Component output will look it's best right? Though that will make VGA output no longer a choice; which I'm fine with.

My last 2 questions are, does that mean on the software side of things with GBS Control I will always choose YPbPr instead of RGBHV? I see that it says compatibility is spotty through YPbPr, so would that mean I'll run into issues instead of just using VGA out and selecting RGBHV and not modding in the new resistor?

I want to run Component out because I wanted to connect it to my OSSC through component rather than VGA and line double 480p with the OSSC when it gets deinterlaced using motion adaptive from GBS Control. I'd like to keep my Dreamcast permanently plugged into the OSSC's VGA port, the PS2 into it's Component, and all other consoles switch between Scart because imo it's the easiest and quickest to plug in when needed.
Hi I just wanted to bump this since this forum gets filled pretty quick and it took a little while to get my post approved; I just wanted to make sure my comment is seen. Sorry if this isn't allowed!
Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

slayrval wrote:
slayrval wrote:
Jon Nielsen wrote:

Glad to hear not the only one with issues going from GBS into OSSC. Makes sense since OSSC doesn't have LPF on VGA input so explains noise. The output via component are you just using a VGA to Component cable and switching the toggle in GBS-control from RGBHV to Component? I ordered a gbs8220 since I want to split 2nd output to HDMI going to a capture card. I think I may get the monoprice vga to component cable going into OSSC and the second output startech vga to hdmi going to capture card :) Is the ferrite mod required for the gbs8220?
Indeed. It might be that the GBS isn't completely noise free, but VGA did look better for me via HDMI converter or PC screen.

Yes it works like that. You might want to do the resistor mod if you find picture too dark. Note that with the 8220 they output the same, so you'll get either 2x VGA or 2x component outputs.

I found that the ferrite mod was needed for the reasons described in the wiki, and that after doing all the recommended mods, any noise was more or less about cabling and conversion.
Jon Nielsen

Post by Jon Nielsen »

MasoElCaveman wrote:
MasoElCaveman wrote:I have an OSSC, but am somewhat distracted by the bob deinterlacing of 480i content from the ps2 so I really want compare motion adaptive deinterlacing and just ordered my gbs 8200 pre-made from https://www.tindie.com/products/chipnet ... converter/

However I intend to use a VGA to Component cable for the output, but I'm a little confused and if someone could clear this up for me that would be amazing. On resistor R26 I've seen I should replace that with a 110ohm resistor so Component output will look it's best right? Though that will make VGA output no longer a choice; which I'm fine with.

My last 2 questions are, does that mean on the software side of things with GBS Control I will always choose YPbPr instead of RGBHV? I see that it says compatibility is spotty through YPbPr, so would that mean I'll run into issues instead of just using VGA out and selecting RGBHV and not modding in the new resistor?

I want to run Component out because I wanted to connect it to my OSSC through component rather than VGA and line double 480p with the OSSC when it gets deinterlaced using motion adaptive from GBS Control. I'd like to keep my Dreamcast permanently plugged into the OSSC's VGA port, the PS2 into it's Component, and all other consoles switch between Scart because imo it's the easiest and quickest to plug in when needed.
Hi I just wanted to bump this since this forum gets filled pretty quick and it took a little while to get my post approved; I just wanted to make sure my comment is seen. Sorry if this isn't allowed!
You can test component before replacing R26, and adding a parallel resistor also works - see some of the earlier comments. It's mainly to allow for better colors/brightness. I think the compatibility has to do with output resolutions. Here the standard progressive resolutions work fine, and 1280x1024/960 seems to only work for VGA.
MasoElCaveman

Post by MasoElCaveman »

Jon Nielsen wrote:
You can test component before replacing R26, and adding a parallel resistor also works - see some of the earlier comments. It's mainly to allow for better colors/brightness. I think the compatibility has to do with output resolutions. Here the standard progressive resolutions work fine, and 1280x1024/960 seems to only work for VGA.
Ok I'll certainly test it first! For some reason I was having a lot of trouble finding discussion on R26 except for that video RetroRGB made on the GBS so I just wasn't sure. Also thanks for pointing out the compatibility issue stems from using VGA resolutions when on component out!

I'm wondering what will be the best way to deal with the ps2's 480i content. To me it appears I should set GBS to output 480p and from there go into the OSSC and line double. There's also the choice to just use a vga to hdmi output straight from GBS and leave the OSSC out of it then use 1280x960, or one of the HD 16:9 resolutions and let my monitor force it back into 4:3 if it allows me.

Either way it sort of sounds like my best bet is to use vga to component out if I'm using the OSSC too because of the noise some people are getting through the VGA port of the OSSC when paired with GBS.
MasoElCaveman

Post by MasoElCaveman »

Finally got to hook up my ps2 into the gbs and then from gbs into my OSSC using component. At first I was having trouble getting the OSSC to not lose sync, and I'd get extremely off colors, but after going back in forth between settings it displays a near perfect image! There is some noise, but it really is quite low. Also, the brightness and colors seem to look pretty great especially being able to adjust the gain through GBS Control.

The 5v power supply I received has a negative center so I had to go out and buy a universal power supply I can set to 4.5v. Perhaps that's why it took a little while for everything to work right?

For 480i content I tried a bunch of different combinations for the output and I've found my best image is either to set gbs to output 480p and to line double it with my OSSC, or I have gbs output 480p, passthrough on the OSSC, and then I turn on the MClassic. Obviously any sprites or bit style games get butchered through the MClassic, but 3d content like FFX really sees some awesome improvements through the MClassic. Removes most of the aliasing and combined with a resolution bump to 2560x1600 it makes Yuna's face and clothes look like she came from a game made recently! I'll certainly be switching between MClassic on and off and linedouble when it's off depending on the game.

Before GBS I was line doubling 480i content through the OSSC, using bob deinterlacing, and adding MClassic to clean things up a bit. This truly worked pretty well, but text was still extremely shakey and even a lot of background objects would be noticeably vibrating, as well as pretty much a general blur to everything. Now with GBS's motion adaptive deinterlacing that general blur is totally gone and nothing is shaking like an earthquake anymore! Whether I use MClassic or not the ps2's 480i content can now finally hold it's own against my Xbox and Dreamcast's 480p! Super exciting to see!!!

There is this game called Spy Hunter that I used to love playing on my Xbox. However, when I went to replay it recently, about 15 years after I last did, I couldn't enjoy it anymore because the framerate was tanking so hard! Sure it looked super clean, but it was unplayable to me now. This is now where my ps2 can come in and save the day! The game came out on multiple systems, but on ps2 it should run quite smooth. Before, I was too upset to compromise on the 480p image I really enjoyed from the Xbox to play it looking all blurry on the ps2. Now with gbs I can enjoy a smooth framerate from the ps2 while also enjoying an image quite comparable to my Xbox! Definitely hunting down a copy of Spy Hunter for ps2 ASAP!

The GBS8200 with GBS Control rocks!!!
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

NoAffinity wrote:
slayrval wrote:
Interested to hear how this works. I got a slightly more expensive one off ebay, too, which I linked above (or a page or two back, depending on how you're viewing this forum). It works much better - no noise and slightly better on ability to increase brightness. However, they all seem to output limited color range. Hoping you have the ability to confirm if the one you're getting also does the same, or offers a better solution in this regard.
Will definetely let you know once I get new vga to hdmi converter in. I also have noticed a slightly more limited color range when taking pictures of xbox directly into OSSC vs directly into GBS. The GBS colors are slightly more washed out, I mean slightly. It would be hard to tell difference if they werent side by side.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

MasoElCaveman wrote:Finally got to hook up my ps2 into the gbs and then from gbs into my OSSC using component. At first I was having trouble getting the OSSC to not lose sync, and I'd get extremely off colors, but after going back in forth between settings it displays a near perfect image! There is some noise, but it really is quite low. Also, the brightness and colors seem to look pretty great especially being able to adjust the gain through GBS Control.

The 5v power supply I received has a negative center so I had to go out and buy a universal power supply I can set to 4.5v. Perhaps that's why it took a little while for everything to work right?

For 480i content I tried a bunch of different combinations for the output and I've found my best image is either to set gbs to output 480p and to line double it with my OSSC, or I have gbs output 480p, passthrough on the OSSC, and then I turn on the MClassic. Obviously any sprites or bit style games get butchered through the MClassic, but 3d content like FFX really sees some awesome improvements through the MClassic. Removes most of the aliasing and combined with a resolution bump to 2560x1600 it makes Yuna's face and clothes look like she came from a game made recently! I'll certainly be switching between MClassic on and off and linedouble when it's off depending on the game.

Before GBS I was line doubling 480i content through the OSSC, using bob deinterlacing, and adding MClassic to clean things up a bit. This truly worked pretty well, but text was still extremely shakey and even a lot of background objects would be noticeably vibrating, as well as pretty much a general blur to everything. Now with GBS's motion adaptive deinterlacing that general blur is totally gone and nothing is shaking like an earthquake anymore! Whether I use MClassic or not the ps2's 480i content can now finally hold it's own against my Xbox and Dreamcast's 480p! Super exciting to see!!!

There is this game called Spy Hunter that I used to love playing on my Xbox. However, when I went to replay it recently, about 15 years after I last did, I couldn't enjoy it anymore because the framerate was tanking so hard! Sure it looked super clean, but it was unplayable to me now. This is now where my ps2 can come in and save the day! The game came out on multiple systems, but on ps2 it should run quite smooth. Before, I was too upset to compromise on the 480p image I really enjoyed from the Xbox to play it looking all blurry on the ps2. Now with gbs I can enjoy a smooth framerate from the ps2 while also enjoying an image quite comparable to my Xbox! Definitely hunting down a copy of Spy Hunter for ps2 ASAP!

The GBS8200 with GBS Control rocks!!!
Bypassing the OSSC altogether has been best for me so far since text was really noising going VGA into the OSSC. I have a VGA to component cable on order so will give that a try. The only disadvatage going VGA to HDMI out the GBS is the colors are slightly washed and not as vibrant as the OSSC, very minor though. Also a bit of screen tearing depending on resolution even when no motion on screen. It is more prevalent when GBS is cold but after warming up seems to go away. Thinking replacing the C11 capactitor with a tantalum may solve some noise and tearing issues. But I have also ordered a clock generator board as that may be what tearing is from being out of sync. I am going to try a startech VGA to HDMI converter to see if it improves colors to what OSSC looks like. Glad to hear you got everything to your liking! I would like to bypass OSSC if possible with PS2, just one less thing in the video chain to cause problems.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

Jon Nielsen wrote:
slayrval wrote:
slayrval wrote:

Indeed. It might be that the GBS isn't completely noise free, but VGA did look better for me via HDMI converter or PC screen.

Yes it works like that. You might want to do the resistor mod if you find picture too dark. Note that with the 8220 they output the same, so you'll get either 2x VGA or 2x component outputs.

I found that the ferrite mod was needed for the reasons described in the wiki, and that after doing all the recommended mods, any noise was more or less about cabling and conversion.
Ah completely forgot that both inputs will output the same. May just do VGA to HDMI out on both inputs.
slayrval

Post by slayrval »

Does anyone else's WIFI completely drop on the ESP8266 when changing resolution to 1920x1080 on the Playstation 2? Monitoring connection to GBS on local wifi with continuous ping and as soon as I change it to 1080p with WIFI completely drops on ESP8266. If I unplug the green (Y) component cable from the GBS connectivity is instantly restored. I'm using the D1 mini board from amazon. It looks like there is an updated version of the board https://docs.wemos.cc/en/latest/d1/d1_mini.html wondering if that may help. Haven't tried to remove heatsink yet from GBS like some suggested.