GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NoAffinity

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by NoAffinity »

Correct, downscale doesnt work with rgbhv downscale.

480p downscale looks best, but 480i or 480p will work.

You can also use the downscale profile for 240p, and then utilize the control features of gbs-c such as image position. I find that it has a small affect on color levels tho, and better to just direct input 240p and use the TV's service menu as needed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Good to know, TY. So after reading up a few pages back, am I wrong saying that these modern variants (mostly from China) are indeed a bit too modern and not many in-depth tests by experts have been made yet? And that, while we can't know which of the Rama's Github's mods they include, they do usually have the advantage (for those interested in 240p downscaling) of being RGBHV-compatible (in some case, even SOG-compatible) and of outputting RGBS?

This is the latest I found here regarding these, in case anybody can elaborate a bit further:

Retro Scaler/Bitfunx GBS-C:

- SCART and "VGA in", so it must have a sync combiner or it's just fine with VGA
- Saturn connector for RGB output, so c-sync is to be expected? Are voltage/impedance at consumer levels? NTSC or PAL pinouts?

Taiyaki reported here not being very satisfied with downscaling from DC, but his chain was really huge in the end and he uses a component TV. I'm not even sure if he was testing this GBS-C variant.

ODV GBS-C:

- Reports of it being compatible even with SOG input (so good for progressive PS2)?
- Apparently, consumer-levels output (D sub)?
- HDMI output
- Reports of issues with firmware updating?
- Apparently, image ringing effects, not known if they got solved?

1 Up Restorations GBS Control:

https://1uprestorations.com/products/gbs-control
Sources can be connected via RGB/HV (VGA), RGBS (game consoles, SCART) or Component Video (YUV). Various variations are supported, such as the PlayStation 2's VGA modes that run over Component cables.
It has both, D sub and SCART inputs?

Greg2600 wrote: Oh ha ha, I've seen them use a Playstation AV Multi-Out as well. I think they have them in excess, plus it enables a way to output component AV via a single port, and they include a cable like so for added cost. You'd think they would just use a VGA breakout cable, but maybe those are more money wholesale?

I appreciate the answer though. Someone ordered one in the Facebook group, I'll see what his review is, but I may pull the trigger finally. I wish there were sellers in North America but there really aren't.
This is some months old now, but did you get some input about this variant? Is that GBS-C Facebook group public or do you have a link, anyway?
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Been wondering about the same thing. Want to buy one pre built but not a lot of info out there.
I also found https://www.retroupgrades.co.uk/product/gbs-c-aio/
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Yeah, didn't include that because it apparently lacks an RGBS output and I honestly think that the selling point of these are the 240p downscaling capabilities (which for most people are useless with RGBHV). At least, it's what makes of them unique for now thanks to the low latency aspect.

I believe these prebuilt units would've deserved their own thread here. They seemingly include enough differentiations regarding inputs and outputs against the original device with the mods by Rama & co. to make of them a much more attractive purchase, and lots of confirmations and testing are still needed as there're not few variants, which still keep coming and are looking for a place to be added and commented. In other words, the opening post in this thread is kind of obsolete as it's natural and the thread's length doesn't welcome noobs like me.

Anyway, there's a new one on ebay (and Ali express, I guess) apparently, which promises to be fine-tuned for 240p downscaling:

They call it the Hamgeek GBS-C upgraded version:
Upgrades:
1. Appearance is upgraded. Now it is fully enclosed.
2. Its firmware has been upgraded to v2.0. OSD function is added and you can debug the function directly on a LCD screen (no need to connect to wifi to set on the mobile phone).
3. Knob version.

Description:
It is an upgraded version based on our former HamGeek GBSC Converter. It is currently the smallest and most functional version. It adopts the HD converter 3 specified by the author of the open source official website. What's more, its picture quality is gorgeous, ensuring quality.

LCD tool on your old host. With more functions, it is more powerful than OSSC. It can support 480i host for ps2. 240p can open scan lines. You can adjust the position and amplitude of the image up, down, left, and right. 4/3-16/9 ratio. Adjustable brightness.

Output resolution: 480p, 720p, 1080p, 1280/960, 128/1024. Pass-through mode· forced low-resolution 240p mode

Input signal: support various high-resolution and low-resolution signals

4 input methods: RGBS RCA, SCART, color difference, and VGA input ways

3 output methods: HDMI, VGA, and low-resolution RCA

Applications:
- This version adds low-resolution RCA output. It is specially designed for CRT players
- Support rgbs to color difference
- Color difference to rgbs
- RGBHV to rgbs
- High solution to low solution on a CRT color monitor
I don't know what this 2.0 version of the firmware added, but I guess any older variant can also be upgraded. Having an actual case is nice, that's a sure thing, and it also seemingly has the Saturn connector output.
skooter

Post by skooter »

Does anyone have experience with that AliExpress model with Composite input and output?
I have a CRT TV that only works with composite, so I feed composite to it and get its composite output to a Framemeister for HDMI streaming.
Maybe this GBS would be a better choice as I could feed SCART RGB to it and send the composite output to the TV and HDMI for streaming.
I could also use its composite and S-Video input for the non-RGB consoles.
But I expect its composite input to be at least as good as Framemeister's and its composite output to be at least as good as those from my consoles (SNES and Mega Drive), otherwise, I would be losing quality instead of improving.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

skooter wrote:and its composite output to be at least as good as those from my consoles (SNES and Mega Drive)
In general this is impossible, compared to a universal encoder converting RGB or YUV to CVBS, consoles will always have an advantage due to the way composite video is generated (someone with better technical knowledge can add details). That said, the composite output of a Mega Drive (at least the early models) is so bad that it may be an exception and may look much cleaner converted from RGB, though also impacting some "intended" effects like fake transparencies and color blending which many MD titles seem to rely on.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

skooter wrote:Does anyone have experience with that AliExpress model with Composite input and output?
Yes, it's a garbage Addon PCB that provides a noisy picture.
skooter wrote:But I expect its composite input to be at least as good as Framemeister's and its composite output to be at least as good as those from my consoles (SNES and Mega Drive), otherwise, I would be losing quality instead of improving.
You can safely stick to your Framemeister.

I commented this on a German board already, but it's worth repeating here, I suppose:
The all-in-one solutions from Aliexpress combine a cheap Composite to YpbPr (or is it RGB) converter with the standard GBSC. Nothing was added in the firmware. A better solution, in my opinion, would be to buy a higher quality external converter, like a Kramer FC-4044, Extron CD 400 / CD 900.
There's also Sony YR-1000 and YR-2000 and JVC KM-V7EG.

But if you already have a Framemeister, I don't think
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

SuperSpongo wrote:I commented this on a German board already, but it's worth repeating here, I suppose:
The all-in-one solutions from Aliexpress combine a cheap Composite to YpbPr (or is it RGB) converter with the standard GBSC.
I take that's a separate matter to allowing RGBHV input and outputting RGBS? Do you have any opinion about these devices also from China (like those posted above)?
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Yeah, that's a seperate issue. Never tested the devices from China outputting RGBS, sorry.

I modded GBS8200 myself and did not buy a premodded unit.
I have however tried the downscaling feature on a consumer SCART TV with my own sync combiner. I used the schematics from Bob's page here:
https://www.retrorgb.com/building-a-pas ... biner.html

I've seen other people use the UMSA Ultimate Scart Adapter: https://arcadeforge.net/UMSA/UMSA-Ultim ... r::57.html
skooter

Post by skooter »

Thank you for all the responses.

I checked with Retroscaler and they say that there is no composite output, only input. I was expecting the composite pin on the Saturn output to be working, so I guess it is not the case. So with no composite output and bad composite input, I'm definitively not buying that GBS control model.

Now I think a better upgrade would be one of those scart switches with multiple outputs, so I can use SCART cables and use the switch to take composite output to the TV and RGB output to Framemeister. In this scenario, I would have to use composite sync cables (not CSYNC) but it would still be better than capturing composite.

The switch I'm currently using has RCA outputs, but if I use both SCART and RCA outputs together, the composite signal drops a lot, and the TV looks faded out.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

SuperSpongo wrote:Yeah, that's a seperate issue. Never tested the devices from China outputting RGBS, sorry.

No prob, thank you anyway.

skooter wrote: The switch I'm currently using has RCA outputs, but if I use both SCART and RCA outputs together, the composite signal drops a lot, and the TV looks faded out.
Exactly the same as when I use a SCART splitter with the only output my SCART switcher has (in order to get the signal in two monitors simultaneously). I want to think there are amplifiers for that issue, but I don't know what to look for exactly.
skooter

Post by skooter »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:
skooter wrote: The switch I'm currently using has RCA outputs, but if I use both SCART and RCA outputs together, the composite signal drops a lot, and the TV looks faded out.
Exactly the same as when I use a SCART splitter with the only output my SCART switcher has (in order to get the signal in two monitors simultaneously). I want to think there are amplifiers for that issue, but I don't know what to look for exactly.
I don't think there is anyone making amplified SCART splitters. It is easier to look for an active SCART switch with multiple outputs, as they would (or should) have an amplifier built-in. I have a gscartsw with two SCART outputs which handles both just fine, no fading. I'm considering moving it to my CRT TV so I can connect one to Framemeister and the other to a SCART -> Composite adapter that goes to the TV.

In the past, I was using the gscartsw on my LCD TV with one output to Framemeister for streaming and the other to an OSSC for playing (the Elgato capture card I had back then didn't like OSSC). Nowadays I replaced the capture card with a Magewell and both Framemeister and OSSC with a GBS Control, so I don't need two outputs there anymore.

AliExpress has some switches with up to three outputs that are supposed to let you use all of them together. However, they may have sync strippers that would kill the pure composite signal that I have to send to the TV.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I got a ali 6-in/3-out switch. Works great. Bypassing the lm1881 sync stripper(s) is extremely easy if you're even slightly handy with a multimeter and solder iron. Theres a dedicated stripper for each output, so you can modify only a single output if desired.

Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Thanks both of you for the tips. Something like this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004454981242.html

They say "SCART input/output supports RGBS and composite video modes", so hopefully you wouldn't need to combine syncs for TV usage.

There's also this:

https://www.js-technology.com/store/ind ... er=product

but I guess it's not worth it if the Chinese ones work well enough.
Misos

Post by Misos »

Hello can anybody help me solve this?
I've assembled a GBS AIO but if i use it with the clock gen mod enabled i get some vertical lines in the screen.
If i disable the clock gen via the web gui, they disappear.
I also have the 22uf caps to reduce noise installed.
I appreciate it.
Spoiler
xmen06

Post by xmen06 »

Hello everyone. Great Job Ramma For this hack.
I have modded a gbs 82200 but i have no image on my tv.
Is there a test mode to display an image on the output to test if everything is working without putting a console in entry?
I can access on the lan on the gbs.
ballsman154

Post by ballsman154 »

I recently bought one of those ODV GBS-C scalers since I don't own a soldering iron and they're reasonably priced where I live (UK). I opened it up and confirmed that I indeed have the 'v2' board that fixes the infamous halo/ringing issue that was present in the first batch:

It seems to mostly be working well so far, I also figured out how to flash the most recent GBS-C firmware from GitHub. However, I am experiencing minor screen tearing now and again. I believe installing a clock mod is designed to fix this, and this AliExpress page claims "Add clock module integrated in the circuit board, do not produce image interference. The clock is added in a reasonable position, and turning on the clock will not cause frequency interference. Improved interference from 480P water ripple". However it seems that - if it is in fact installed - the software is not recognising it, since I am able to enable active frametime lock (which causes my display to black out every so often UNLESS htotal is set such that input and output Hz is exactly the same) and still experience screen tearing. Is there an issue I can fix, or did they simply go on the internet and tell lies?

One thing I noticed is that, according to the GitHub, the GBSC is designed to take 5V2A, whereas the manual for the ODV states 12V2A, yet supplies a 12V1A adapter. Could my issues be mitigated by using a different power supply?
soukai

Post by soukai »

Hi everyone, I'm modding the gbs8200 for gbs control, and I'm having 2 issues,
first, I'm lacking the 4 10micro farads ceramic capacitors for installing in parallel to the stock ones,
and last but not least, my c41 capacitor split in half somehow when trying to get the clock power. cables attached to it.

What kind of capacitor was c11 so I buy a replacement? Can I pick power for the clock from anywhere bigger, my iron is crap and can't access all those caps near the processor

And the extra question is, can I solder usb power cable to the Dc in socket and use a 5v 2amp usb phone charger?

Thank you all.
luijaro

Post by luijaro »

Hi everyone, it's safe to update Retro Scaler/Bitfunx GBS-C with the ramapcsx2 firmware?

I'm bored with the horizontal tear line of the retroscaler firmware (https://github.com/RetroScaler/GBSC), which also hasn't been updated since February.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

What size 10uf / 22uf ceramic SMD capacitors are needed? First time I ordered the wrong specifications, second time the wrong size… :cry:
Kez

Post by Kez »

What size do you have? I use 0805 normally but you could probably make a larger/smaller size work.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

They’re waayyyyyy too big.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

ballsman154 wrote:
One thing I noticed is that, according to the GitHub, the GBSC is designed to take 5V2A, whereas the manual for the ODV states 12V2A, yet supplies a 12V1A adapter. Could my issues be mitigated by using a different power supply?
The stock gbs board is rated for 5v-12v. It is printed on the board next to the barrel plug connector. If the esp mcu is connected directly to power input like some of us like to do, then you dont want to feed 12v to the input...it will fry the mcu. Being preassembled, the assembler is probably pulling 5v power for the mcu from somewhere protected within the board.

I believe rama confirmed 5v at 1A is sufficient for power. But even if 5v/2A (10w) is truly needed, a 12v/1A power supply (12w) supply is greater. Of course it never hurts to provide a power supply rated for higher current output, even if the extra goes unused. I'd be more concerned with providing a quality power supply that is appropriately rated.

xmen06

Post by xmen06 »

Hello,

I would like to make work a neo geo mv2f with GBS control.

I know it seems impossible but some people have made it work.

Link on github : https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control/issues/371.

For now i have installed a DFO on MV2F (thx maki) and the pcb with rgb mod .

But it doesn't work for me .

I don't understand why i have the sync problem again.

I have made a video of the problem.

[MEDIA=youtube]91DZLN3CLus[/MEDIA]

Does someone manage to make it work with a neogeo slot ?
Das Muel

Post by Das Muel »

ballsman154 wrote:I recently bought one of those ODV GBS-C scalers since I don't own a soldering iron and they're reasonably priced where I live (UK). One thing I noticed is that, according to the GitHub, the GBSC is designed to take 5V2A, whereas the manual for the ODV states 12V2A, yet supplies a 12V1A adapter. Could my issues be mitigated by using a different power supply?
Yeah I have the same scaler and get the same issue. I use it chained with an Extron 1804 4k scaler and it looks really fantastic, but this issue is a little annoying. Did you give it a whirl with a different power supply?
I am the geezer from the Retro Muel Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIg73A ... u89QcCBD3A
Modular511

Post by Modular511 »

Okay so I am at wits end! We built two of these, they power on and i can access the web interface etcc- But, Any of the changes i click in settings dont turn yellow when activated, The screen flickers when i do certain things, so I assume functionality is there. But not knowing what settings are on is annoying! I have been wanting to downscale some stuff to 15khz on my bvm, i had to setup crt Emudriver cuz I couldn't get that working! Id be gery happy if someone could please help me, I would be appreciative!
Lee

Post by Lee »

Modular511 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:24 am Okay so I am at wits end! We built two of these, they power on and i can access the web interface etcc- But, Any of the changes i click in settings dont turn yellow when activated, The screen flickers when i do certain things, so I assume functionality is there. But not knowing what settings are on is annoying! I have been wanting to downscale some stuff to 15khz on my bvm, i had to setup crt Emudriver cuz I couldn't get that working! Id be gery happy if someone could please help me, I would be appreciative!
Try saving a preset. I thought this bug already got fixed but it's worth a try anyways.
Modular511

Post by Modular511 »

Lee wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:30 pm
Modular511 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:24 am Okay so I am at wits end! We built two of these, they power on and i can access the web interface etcc- But, Any of the changes i click in settings dont turn yellow when activated, The screen flickers when i do certain things, so I assume functionality is there. But not knowing what settings are on is annoying! I have been wanting to downscale some stuff to 15khz on my bvm, i had to setup crt Emudriver cuz I couldn't get that working! Id be gery happy if someone could please help me, I would be appreciative!
Try saving a preset. I thought this bug already got fixed but it's worth a try anyways.
"This bug was already fixed" Mind telling me about the bug and how saving a preset fixes this?

What boggles my mind is I have tried to reset the damn things multiple times. Then when I got the second one and it was also doing this, ai wanted to rip my hair out.

I took a break, but i would absolutely love to get this going today! :)
Lee

Post by Lee »

Modular511 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:17 pm "This bug was already fixed" Mind telling me about the bug and how saving a preset fixes this?

What boggles my mind is I have tried to reset the damn things multiple times. Then when I got the second one and it was also doing this, ai wanted to rip my hair out.

The issue is explained here: https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control/issues/422
And the pull request that fixes it here: https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control/pull/424

Before this got patched saving a custom preset or selecting a default one would always do the trick for me.

Oh, and it might also be worth double checking to see if your Flash Size is set to "4MB (FS:1MB OTA:~1019KB)" in your Arduino IDE :)
Modular511

Post by Modular511 »

Lee wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:41 pm
Modular511 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:17 pm "This bug was already fixed" Mind telling me about the bug and how saving a preset fixes this?

The issue is explained here: https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control/issues/422
And the pull request that fixes it here: https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control/pull/424

Before this got patched saving a custom preset or selecting a default one would always do the trick for me.

Oh, and it might also be worth double checking to see if your Flash Size is set to "4MB (FS:1MB OTA:~1019KB)" in your Arduino IDE :)
Is there a chance if I have this problem I am also only getting partial functionality? Or is the next updates mostly just bug fixs?

Wondering if I should bother updating or not

I saved a custom preset and my buttons turn yellow/gray again, so thanks!

Any more information is helpful, I am still learning all this!

Can someone also tell me what settings to pick, start to finish to output downscaled 480p to my bvm-20g1u via rgb bnc/vga cable?

I am so stoked to finally move it along, I have been trying to figure this out ffor weeks, ended up just going the crtemudriver to bvm route for simplicity, but would absolutely love to only have to use my rtx 3070 and dp to vga adapter!